Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mavafamusic
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 191
2008/09/28 07:07:19 (permalink)

Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom?

If not why?
I have tried and tried and tried and tried ...............................
to get my Axiom 49 working, but sorry no cigar.

How many people believe that ACT works like Cakewalk have stated?

http://www.cakewalk.com/PRODUCTS/SONAR/English/New/create-ACT.asp

How many feel like being take for a ride after seeing how easy it is to use ACT with Sonar?

If I get a M audio PCR... that has a controller/surface in Sonar, the moneys could have got me a Synthesizer. A REAL KEYBOARD?

With all the good people here that have giving some support why have Cakewalk not shown how to
get the settings working?

Its almost like turning a blind eye to Maudio.

Not happy, not happy at all.

Win 7 Pro x64
3.0 GHz Intel E6850 Core Duo
8GB Ram
Intel DP35DP
Echo Mia Midi
Echo Gina 3G
M-Audio Axiom 49
Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

I thought that love was worth something, I just gave mine away for nothing.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/bbnbroken

36 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 08:34:19 (permalink)
    ACT works as stated. The issue is to get the Axiom to talk the right language through setting up the controls with the proper values. I have successfully set up an Axiom. After the hard work involved, I eventually realized that it was just another collection of "fiddly things to get between me and making music so I don't fool with it anymore.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 08:39:29 (permalink)
    Peter , it's usable with ACT, just a bit fiddly to set up, that's all.. and you've been thru mod bod's thread?
    failing using ACT you can always use midi learn. there is a preset for the keyboard in ACT.

the only thing I don't like about it, say with my ozone (another m-audio thing) is that I always have to remember to set it to preset 5 before stating sonar.. I always wondered if there was a way for the computer to change the preset remotely that would be cool. I used Scott's book initially when setting mine up (maybe more detailed info in the full manual, that bit I haven't gone thru)

I notice you use it it reason also? now u notice how it sets up very easily in that? well for a while m-audio were their distributor, but some other keyboards are a bit of a pain to setup even in that. My friends really old one on his setup.

cake has access to all of the edirol / roland products and obviously they design their stuff in mind for use with sonar first and then also with other apps. I'm sure they have tested sonar with multiple none Roland configs though, Brandon or Noel or one of the QA or support people etc can tell you.

It's the same with a lot of companies..e.g. yamaha > steinberg , m audio > digi design (pro tools) and the list goes on.

lets face it "enigma" is hardly the most user friendly of set up tools also, if you have ever tried using it.
    Cormega
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 09:02:57 (permalink)
    I agree with the OP on this one. I'm suprisied there isn't a simple preset like in Live. If I woulda realized how "fiddly" this would be, I'd never have bought it. The Enigma software is laughable at best. I've never figured out ACT, after playing with it for hours I've lost all enthusiasim for making music. I don't wanna sit down and learn something new, why can't I just plug it in and go? So, is the OP saying that version 8 doesn't support Axiom either?
    dbmusic
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1150
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 09:03:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

... After the hard work involved, I eventually realized that it was just another collection of "fiddly things to get between me and making music so I don't fool with it anymore.

Yep...frustrating when just getting a "feature" to work correctly becomes a goal in itself. I purchased an Axiom 61 because of the initial marketing buzz around ACT. The ensuing mess of trying to get it to actually work caused me to abandon the effort very quickly. I'd much rather just make some music and use the mouse.

DB Music

SoundClick
    OurStage
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 13:22:25 (permalink)
    Or the other question: Is mAudio ever going to provide support for Sonar?
    Lacking an industry standard handshaking protocol, it makes less sense to most Sonar users that the developement time/$$ at Sonar would be directed to improving their product (Sonar), since all of us do not use the same hardware/controlers. It would make a lot more sense for some engineer at mAudio to buy a copy of Sonar and put together an application that would automate integrating it with Sonar. After all there are only about a half dozen serious daws running, and about a gazillion midi controllers. Shouldn't the guy who tosses his hardware into the market be responsible for making sure it works easily with the apps it is supposed to control?
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 14:19:42 (permalink)
    Probably a silly question do the 2 presets, M-Audio Axiom 49 (preset 17) and M-Audio Axiom 49 (preset 20) from the drop down list in the ACT control panel not work? Sorry do not have the Axiom have Prokeys 88
    post edited by Wookiee - 2008/09/28 15:23:26

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 14:38:55 (permalink)
    I bought an Axiom about 6 months ago and it works fine with my system if I don't use the Axiom drivers or Enigma - both of which seem to screw things up in Vista (to the point that I had to uninstall them). I never tried to use ACT. Maybe someday I will have the time an energy to get it to work. But without Axiom Drivers and Enigma, will it ever work?
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 19:50:16 (permalink)
    Or the other question: Is mAudio ever going to provide support for Sonar?
    The way I see it is that M-Audio doesn't even support it's own hardware. Enigma is the buggiest piece of nonsense I've worked with in a long time. Without that piece of software and the disorganized help files they supply with the Axiom, it's almost hopeless.

My music.
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 20:11:35 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Neither Enigma nor USB drivers are needed for the Axiom to work with ACT. You can run the Axiom via MIDI or USB, just be sure to choose the appropriate output on the Axiom. In setting up the Axiom you need to be on the correct preset which I don't recall atm. Once that's setup then create an ACT controller on SONAR and learn the Axiom's knobs, sliders and buttons to the appropriate cells.

Just to be clear it is not really our job to support M-Audio's products, or their functionality within SONAR. If you want their keyboards to be easier to use and setup then they are the ones to talk to. I've set up many Axioms with SONAR displays at various stores and the way the setup and configuration is on them is nothing less than convoluted.

If you need a step by step on how to setup ACT please just say so and I'll do my best to post a walk through.

HTH

EDIT: BTW typically generic templates on the hardware itself work best with ACT for various controllers. That's how I run my CME UF-8 and it works.
    post edited by Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk] - 2008/09/28 20:18:57
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 20:23:59 (permalink)
    I have an M-Audio Ozonic. Is there an ACT preset for that in the works? I've tried the Axiom ones, doesn't work.
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 20:30:52 (permalink)
    There are some new ACT presets in SONAR 8 ... sorry but I don't have the list of what's new atm. You can make your own preset though. Use the ACT Default preset and then learn all of the knobs and sliders and buttons on the Ozonic to ACT. This will work for any controller, btw, you don't have to have a preset for your controller to work (kind of the whole idea behind ACT). You can also rename the cells from "rotaries" to "knobs" or whatever you want them to be labeled as by double clicking on the name.

EDIT: then of course you can save it as a new preset.
    post edited by Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk] - 2008/09/28 20:32:59
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 21:07:27 (permalink)
    I've set up many Axioms with SONAR displays at various stores and the way the setup and configuration is on them is nothing less than convoluted.
    And THAT is the problem. I originally set mine up without Enigma although, with Enigma (when it's not crashing), it's much easier.

My music.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 21:28:01 (permalink)
    Phoenix, dunno how different your Ozonic is from my Ozone (on my laptop rig) but setting it to preset 5 helped in that case, I have to try to remember to before starting sonar.. it's a bit like the axiom in the sense of people always refer to programs 10 or 17. After having a quick look in the manual preset "A10" and "B10" isn't used for anything.. page 18 of the manual.. might be of help after you have it working in ACT to dump / store it as a preset. Dunno if you ever tried programming ACT using preset 10 it might make a difference.

Seth , ACT is good, but Reason has the most intuitive way to set up things in the various things I use IMHO (even a thicko like me can't mess it up ) , unless the keyboard or controller itself is really old (which is the odd time). Although obviously there is a lot less variables as it has a set number of instruments and no 3rd party vst's etc.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/09/28 21:39:37
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/28 22:59:37 (permalink)
    I think there might be some driver conflicts between M-Audio Midi gear and Sonar. If everything works without installing M-Audio drivers in Sonar, use the Sonar drivers. I experienced a similar problem with another M-Audio device that I'm still investigating. M-Audio Midisport 4X4 Aniversary Model merger -interface. It worked much better without the M-Audio drivers. Driver conflict between Midi entities seems to be the biggest porblem with Midi interfaceing into DAW software.
    But what do I know, I'm a Midi Idiot.

Craig DuBuc
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 01:44:51 (permalink)
    About the title of this thread. Is Cake going to ever support maudio (axium). I have sonar and an Axium 49 that work flawless. These tools are as good as the person that configs them. Maybe support isnt the word you are looking for. Maybe instructions on how to set it up is more like it....
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    JoRdY
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 06:58:58 (permalink)
    I've got the Axiom to work great with sonar. There is a set up on here somwhere. One thing I don't get tho, why doesn't the Axiom work the same way with p5? Anyone know?
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 07:18:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JoRdY

I've got the Axiom to work great with sonar. There is a set up on here somwhere. One thing I don't get tho, why doesn't the Axiom work the same way with p5? Anyone know?

Which version of P5 do you have? 2.5 has ACT where 2 and 1 do not.
    JoRdY
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 07:24:25 (permalink)
    Which version of P5 do you have? 2.5 has ACT where 2 and 1 do not.

I have 2.5, I can see my preset saved and i use it in p5, but the transport controls don't work. I don' think anything work with it apart from using it a a midi keyboard lol.
    Very weird as everything works great in sonar.
    mavafamusic
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 07:37:48 (permalink)
    Seth.
    Yes please. Can I have a step by step on how to setup ACT?
    Also I have email Maudio about settings in Sonar. But what would they care about Sonar
    when the Axiom is really just a controller that has to work with any Daw software.
    Anywho I will wait for a reply.

Thanks[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Win 7 Pro x64
    8GB Ram
    Intel DP35DP
    Echo Mia Midi
    Echo Gina 3G
    M-Audio Axiom 49
    Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 08:29:10 (permalink)
    ACT Setup in SONAR
    NOTE: This setup is generic, not aimed at a specific controller or setup of a specific controller. Some controllers have presets that work well with ACT but also have a "generic" preset. Feel free to try both. Unfortunately I only have two controllers so I most likely can't give step by step instructions on how to set up presets and settings in your specific controller.

Creating the Controller
    - In SONAR’s menu choose Options, then Controllers/ Surfaces
    - Click the yellow Add New Controllers/ Surfaces button
    - Make sure ACT MIDI Controller is selected in the Controller/ Surface tab
    - In the Input tab choose the correct MIDI input from your controller (USB1, USB2, MIDI, etc.)
    o NOTE: Some MIDI controllers use multiple virtual MIDI outs over USB … one for the keys and the other for controls so be sure to use the one for controls if this is the case
    - In the Output Port select None
    - Click Close

Learning the Controller
    - Find the Controllers/ Surfaces widget in SONAR and click the Controllers/ Surfaces Properties widget to display the ACT Properties page
    - In the presets tab choose the preset for your controller
    o NOTE: If you haven’t been able to get your preset working with the included preset select Default to work with a generic template
    - Starting with Row 1, Cell 1 click and learn each cell to the appropriate knob and slider
    o To do this mouse click the R1 cell so that it says “MIDI Learn…” … then move the first knob on your controller. That knob is now learned to that cell. Repeat this for the rest of the knobs, sliders, and buttons.
    - When all the cells have been learned be sure to click the Enable checkbox in the bottom left corner of the ACT properties page to engage ACT
    o If you wish ACT to ONLY control plugins and synths and ignore track view controls click the Options tab and de-select “ACT follows context”. Otherwise leave that checked.

Advanced ACT: Re-Mapping Controls
    - Open the ACT Properties page and click the ACT Learn button in the top right corner so it is blue (can also be accessed from any ACT aware plugin)
    - Open the plugin's GUI you want to re-map
    - Move the controls on the plugin you want to remap in the order you want them mapped to ACT (for example Filter Cut, Filter Res, LoFi Depth, etc.)
    - Click the cells in order in the ACT Properties box where you want them assigned
    - Click the ACT Learn button again to disengage it
    - There whould be a dialogue pop-up box telling you that you reassigned controls ... click yes
    - Your controls should now be reassigned in the new order
    post edited by Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk] - 2008/09/29 08:40:20
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 11:52:02 (permalink)
    Hi Seth,
    Do you really have a setup for the CME UF-8 that works? i'd love to get a complete run through of that to make mine work which is patchy at best.

Any chance you could post a complete setup process for me and others.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 14:32:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mudgel

Hi Seth,
    Do you really have a setup for the CME UF-8 that works? i'd love to get a complete run through of that to make mine work which is patchy at best.

Any chance you could post a complete setup process for me and others.

Yes, I do. My UF-8 is packed up now though due to a recent move, but I'll try to bust it open later today.
    plainfaced
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1617
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 14:52:04 (permalink)
    Im back to using a mouse now for mixing/tweaking... I got my Axiom49 transports work, but its just as quick pressing space bar, or using the mouse..
    And tweaking synths.. Well I use envelopes and the synth rack.

Im over knobs and sliders..

Sonar Professional | Reason 8 | Propellerheads Balance | Windows 10
    mavafamusic
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 20:03:16 (permalink)
    Seth.
    Thank you it works.
    I have to admit that it looks a lot easier in the Cakewalk videos.
    A video from Maudio tech support on setting up an Oxygen 8 proved to be very similar again
    to the way you and others have described.
    I guess having tried different ways has given me a better understanding on how the keyboard
    and ACT work together.

Something new to play with without spending any more money.

Win 7 Pro x64
    8GB Ram
    Intel DP35DP
    Echo Mia Midi
    Echo Gina 3G
    M-Audio Axiom 49
    Sonar X-1c, Reason 6

RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 20:46:08 (permalink)
    Awesome ... CME hardware config to come later tonight, hopefully.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 21:05:01 (permalink)
    I THINK that the main problem I have with ACT is controllers losing their assignments when powered off. I noticed this is one of the fixes in v8 and I'm anxious to see it. Tho I am bummed ACT 2.0 wasn't part of v8, if the problem is just the port assignments going sideways then we can close that leak pretty easily I hope.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Fret Wizz
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/09/29 22:11:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    Awesome ... CME hardware config to come later tonight, hopefully.

I have a CME UF5 so I'm very interested in this as well.......
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2008/10/01 00:51:08 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

Unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to hook up and get you my UF8 config. I'm in SF for AES now and won't be back at home until next week. I'll do my best to get that setup posted next week, though. See some of you at AES hopefully!
    clapton39
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Is CAKEWALK ever going to support M audio Axiom? 2009/03/20 23:53:36 (permalink)
    wow you smoke, how 1965, and totally uncool.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1