Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/10 22:39:37 (permalink)
1 more opinion vote for no more Project 5 development. It will almost take a miracle now.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/10 23:48:14 (permalink)
I wouldn't say its dead and no hope. Cake hasn't said anything, tho 12 tone is dead - they changed their name to Cakewalk.

As I've said elsewhere, CAke needs an economic rationale for keeping P5, and not moving more SONAR functionality to P5 v3. P5 does a lot of things well, but no company has two separate DAWs. Kinda silly. And SONAR is too much for many jobs.

So, with SONAR HS it doesn't really make sense to have it as an intro program, and it doesn't make sense to have an in-house competitor either. But a tool for live use or an upgrade from what it was/is - ie., a looper/Midi softsynth program with the gapless engine is still viable. SONAR has co-opted a lot of my favorite features, if 8 proves to be what it sez, but it is hardly what someone wants to go on stage with. Multiple core use would be the only major thing it would need to make that happen. It could be a "live" environment or, a lá Wrench, a program to use as an uber VSTi wrapper, both as a standalone product or within a regular DAW.

But we don't really know, and I expect Cake would let us if they decide to kill it off. So I guess they are either still deciding, or trying to code it. I still use it, esp. for beginning a project, and I use to get along fine with SHS for mixing/recording while using P5 for writing and looping.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
ATS
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 877
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 01:05:48 (permalink)
I'm hopeful and I used to be one of the main complainers about this.
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 01:49:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: AT

...while using P5 for writing and looping.

It appears that S8 will have much more functionality towards looping. Will have to stay tuned. The boys from Cakewalk are posting that (as usual) the leaked EQ ad shows but few of the many new (and wonderful we always expect to hear) features.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 06:06:46 (permalink)
As far as P5's future is concerned, stick a fork in it. It's done.

post edited by kb420 - 2008/09/11 06:11:30

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 10:57:05 (permalink)
Nick, that is what I said - I think. Might ought to read my own post (I did a couple yesterday - maybe I hit 3000!).

Still, P5 is great for starting a project with softsynths and loops. Nice and clean interface. And P5 doesn't seem to have the softsynth drop outs I get in SONAR when the "engine" light goes out and I have to open up the synth track to make sure everything is still on. SONAR 8 might make that easier to do with one track midi, but if I still have the engine drop out ....

After drifting toward SONAR to do midi/loops I find myself opening P5 again. I mix in SONAR, however, even if I don't use the virtual board. Dual core, 64 bit mix. If v3 only does that (along with some more funky effects and new synths), I'd be happy. I want more, of course, but that list above would be a nice upgrade.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
badbib
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 12:07:36 (permalink)
I think P5 is dead... I'm switching to Live I think, as I enjoy it a lot more, and it has many features I like (the essential one being the delay compensation that lets me use my Nord Rack without having a delay between internal tracks and the nord track(s). (I wonder why, I appear to have more than 20ms of delay, I guess it's the midi coming out of the sequencer, into the synth, back into the computer's audio ins, it makes for a rather big delay...)

I've always supported P5, I bought it two years ago, and enjoyed it a lot... now I don't see myself using it much anymore, as Live does everything I need, and probably more...

but I'd love to be surprised, and see a sweet P5v3 update, which I definetely would buy.
BremenCole
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 16:15:59 (permalink)
This thread (and others like it) are still going? YES IT'S DEAD! I mean really, let it go.....

But.... that does not mean it's not a good app (it is), it does not mean folks can't use it (I still do to sketch out an idea), and it does not mean that tons of good music is not yet to be done with it. But it does mean that it is a dead app as far as further development. I hope the forum here goes on for years to come, and that P5 achieves cult like status in the DAW world....but.... It is DEAD!

Just to be sure everyone gets it..... there will NOT be a Project5 3.0.....

Just don't get X1 
kb420
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 16:22:36 (permalink)
SO SAY WE ALL!!!!!!!!!

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 17:30:53 (permalink)
Nope, not all of us. I still believe that we'll see an updated form of P5, either as P5v3 or possibly integrated into the "super-synth." Call me a sucker if you will and the rest of you can speculate until the cows come home, but until Cakewalk says otherwise, I have no doubts in my mind that there will be an updated version (but, I sure do wish they'd give us some sort of indication and/or release the frigging thing already).

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

BremenCole
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 17:54:23 (permalink)
Your "updated form" is pretty generic, but surely you realize (as some of us have for several months) that there will be no version 3 of P5. I would say I admire your faith in Cakewalk, but I really don't. You need to realize that a piece of software is a tool. Your creativity and skill is what makes the music. Keep using P5 but simply understand that you will have to move on at some point. There are plenty of tools out there, and at least one will be right for you. I can't get into it myself, but Live is the choice of many these days. I like Cubase, others just slip back into Sonar. Still others get into FL Studio, Reaper, Acid, Podium, and on and on.....

Cakewalk will not say "otherwise" for at least months, if not years. Why would they say otherwise when they can still sell it (at a greatly reduced price) and not put any more development or advertising dollars into it? Cake/Roland is a business, they will milk the cash flow as long as its worth it.

Frankly it is nearing the point where your viewpoint appears naive. Your talent and creativity will flourish long after P5 is a distant memory :)

Just don't get X1 
agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 18:03:38 (permalink)
I'll say it again: predicting the future is the purview of fools and precognitives, and there's no such thing as precognitives.

cryophonik
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 18:03:39 (permalink)
Uh, thanks for the patronizing response, but I've been a musician for nearly 40 years now and have a degree in music theory/composition, so I'm well aware that P5 is simply a tool. Besides, my primary "tool" is not Project5, nor has it ever been. I'm primarily a Sonar user, but I also use Cubase, as well as ProTools and FLS.

BremenCole
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 18:37:05 (permalink)
Sorry, not met as patronizing at all. If I offended you in some way I do apologize. Surly you realize that I could not know your background, anymore than you know mine. But if you really believe P5 will be updated..... then you are naive.

Not that it means anything.... but you seem to think it does...... I have been making music for 46 years. Toured with various bands in the 70's, and am still involved under various aliases. And I also know when it's over :) And really, isn't this all rather trivial? As musicians I believe we are all beyond this pointless navel gazing....

and agincourtdb..... call me a "fool' if you like... but I am not predicting the future, I am simply observing reality. Any non-biased rational observer can see that P5 is not going to be dead, it already is. I do not consider you a fool, nor would I call anyone that over a piece of software. I do still find the resistance to the obvious truth amusing though. I hope you will still be here a year from now, perhaps you will see my point then :)

Last but not least, I would love to be wrong on this one.... but I'm not.

Just don't get X1 
kb420
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 18:47:31 (permalink)
Personally, at this point, I could care less. I haven't even opened P5 since the 2.5 update was first released. I thought that P5 has a nice user interface that was easy to navigate. I thought that it was a good program and a great starting point for future development. I had hoped that it would become a lot more than it is, but in all honesty, Cakewalk is just not as concerned with developing this as they are Sonar. I think that we can all agree on that. Can someone use P5 to compose and write music with? Absolutely, but I like to know that the program that I am using is constantly being worked on and upgraded to give me more features and better workflow. In my opinion, Cakewalk hasn't done that with P5, and Sonar keeps getting more and more features that kind of cross over into what I consider P5's domain within the company.

Just imagine how many new and exciting features P5 would have if it had the same type of commitment that Sonar has.

I'm not trying to upset or argue with anyone here. I'm actually not taking anything away from P5 is in it's current form, but to me it's feature set just seems to be frozen in time.

This will be my last post in this forum because I feel as if it's time for me personally to close the book on P5. Even if Cakewalk does come up with a new version, I wouldn't have anything to gain from it. There is nothing at all that a new version of P5 could bring to the table that I can't already achieve with Sonar and Live.

I apologize if I offended anyone, and best wishes for all of those who still believe in a P5 future.

Sincerely Yours..................

-Kevin Bell-

-Craig Anderton-
BremenCole
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 18:58:14 (permalink)
Best of life to you, KB420

Just don't get X1 
Chris in Indy
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 484
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 20:02:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

I'll say it again: predicting the future is the purview of fools and precognitives, and there's no such thing as precognitives.

Too funny ...............

Chris in Indy ............... 
Tascam US 2000, Behringer Power Pro 8, Akai MPD 18, Yamaha MG 82cx, Mackie MCU Pro, Mackie MR 8's, M Audio BX-5's, M Audio 61 es, Yamaha MM6, Roland SH-201, KRK-KMS 8400's, Shure SRH 1840's, Audio Technica AT 2020's, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, SoundForge 10, East/West Libraries, GPO, Real Guitar, Project 5v2, FM-7, 
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 20:18:35 (permalink)

I knew you were going to say that...

agincourtdb
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 20:50:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BremenCole

and agincourtdb..... call me a "fool' if you like... but I am not predicting the future, I am simply observing reality. Any non-biased rational observer can see that P5 is not going to be dead, it already is. I do not consider you a fool, nor would I call anyone that over a piece of software. I do still find the resistance to the obvious truth amusing though. I hope you will still be here a year from now, perhaps you will see my point then :)

Edit: oops, hit the post button accidentally before typing my response.

Please understand: I'm not calling you a fool. I'm saying that making assumptions based on an absence of information is foolish. Those of us who have been around here since the beginning know that (and I can't believe I'm typing this again, for the hundredth time) Cake never says anything until things are about to go on sale. They don't do hype. There was exactly the same lull and predictions of doom before v.2. Though admittedly not as long. Hell, even Sonar 8 was only announced officially two weeks before it goes on pre-order, and then perhaps only because it leaked...

There isn't any information to base a call on yet. If you want to 'call it in the air', be my guest. But saying the outcome is 'obvious' is silly because it could still go either way, until they say something. Otherwise you are, sorry to say it again but it's true, just trying to predict the future.
post edited by agincourtdb - 2008/09/11 21:00:50

BremenCole
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 22:38:11 (permalink)
Like I said, it may take you another year, but eventually I think you will see my point :)

BTW, I'm somewhat looking forward to trying Sonar 8. I bought Sonar 2, and so the update is still pretty cheap for me. I try every release, but just can't get into it. Cubase just works so much better FOR ME. As a matter of fact Cubase is near perfect FOR ME except I HATE the dongle. I mean I HHAATTEE it. Looking at some the new features in Sonar 8 makes me curious about it. Who knows, I could end up on the Sonar forum with the rest of you..... in the mean time, still lovin' my Cubase :)

Just don't get X1 
jamescfrank
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 22:39:37 (permalink)
this whole business model thing is very interesting in our global economy. there is still a whole lot of money that could be made here. i think there comes a time, especially when you start seeing p5 enthusiasts, one by one, openly give up on the software because they feel it would be pragmatic to find something new to get used to because people want to support (with their money) a product that has potential to grow (even though it may not be as cool and comparable to p5) that the company would either give some sort of sign to its constituents (to prevent other enthusiasts from jumping ship) OR for people like me to at least start giving other software suites (i.e. FL Studio 8.02) a 3rd or 5th look.
alas, poor yorick

Wet Dentist is DEAD
agincourtdb
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 22:42:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BremenCole

Like I said, it may take you another year, but eventually I think you will see my point :)

I see your point now. I just disagree with it.

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/11 23:58:23 (permalink)
after a dinosaur eats... it poops
if we all chant open source...
open source....
open source...
the dinosaur will not hear us but...
the people who labor for the dinosaur
will feel bad....
some believe... when a dinosaur dies
it’s source is opened for all to see
this is a myth....
it is really placed in a vault
for the dinosaurs covet their possessions

i have studied the ancient art and practice of dinosaur poop reading
there is a clear an distinct sign that p5 will be updated
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/12 05:03:17 (permalink)
there's no such thing as precognitives.

in the future there are

list of stuff
Trusty
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/12 12:53:51 (permalink)

I'm saying that making assumptions based on an absence of information is foolish.

Maybe. But making assumptions based on the forensic and empirical evidence of past performance is NOT foolish in the least.

Or is things like science foolish to you?

Regardless, his claim is well justified.

Those of us who have been around here since the beginning know that (and I can't believe I'm typing this again, for the hundredth time) Cake never says anything until things are about to go on sale. They don't do hype. There was exactly the same lull and predictions of doom before v.2. Though admittedly not as long. Hell, even Sonar 8 was only announced officially two weeks before it goes on pre-order, and then perhaps only because it leaked...

But we do know that Cakewalk people visit the Sonar forum regularly to add input and even fuel speculation to generate excitement, etc...That rarely, if ever, happens here anymore.

The program hasn't seen a new update in years.

The "renewed focus" was a failed statement.

The development blog has been abandoned.

Project5 was not even mentioned in the 20 year anniversary video, when other, lesser products were. i.e. They don't care about it.

Cakewalk make no claims to counter that it is no longer developed. Merely being supported does not equal development. Active participation in other forums demonstrated continued development, which is not the case in this forum.

Need there be more examples to make his claim justified?

There isn't any information to base a call on yet. If you want to 'call it in the air', be my guest. But saying the outcome is 'obvious' is silly because it could still go either way, until they say something. Otherwise you are, sorry to say it again but it's true, just trying to predict the future.

Which, as stated above, is not foolish in the least. It is "obvious" until it is no longer "obvious". Cakewalk's record over the last two years concerning Project5 has not reversed this "obviousness".

agincourtdb, I am not trying to be rude, but since you were trying to be rude and clever, I feel compelled to demonstrate your backfired attempts.

Have a good one.
jamescfrank
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/12 13:45:09 (permalink)
i would keep your money out of the stock market until you bend on this truthiness
making assumptions based on the forensic and empirical evidence of past performance is NOT foolish in the least.

Wet Dentist is DEAD
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/12 13:50:07 (permalink)
You know, it's funny, reading these types of threads, re: further development of a product. Hey, at least P5 and Sonar work in Vista. How about those poor schmoes that have a TC Powercore - they have a perfectly good dsp box that STILL doesn't have Vista drivers. Thankfully I'm still on XP so I can still use my Poco. Now shut up and go and make music!

Jack
Qapla!
BremenCole
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/12 22:16:02 (permalink)
Wow... okay, let's try this..... It may take a year, but perhaps soon you will AGREE with me.....

I will admit, I am beginning to wonder about the handful of you guys that seem to have lost all reason. The cute quotes and such can be funny, but how do you not miss the obvious fact that P5 is no longer in development? Why is that so hard for you to accept? Look at it this way: Cake is a girl friend. Cake is saying to you "as far as P5 goes..... "let's just be friends"......." ..... do you get it?

Use and love P5 as I do, but man up to the fact that it is a dead app. At some point when Cake is not making some profit on leaving it up they will announce that it is discontinued. But that decision has already been made (and some months ago I might add...... Quit longing for another chance with P5, she's gone :)

Anyway, I'm done with this thread..... off to use my P5 and Cubase 4.....

edit: Oh, BTW just finished downloading my Cubase update 4.5.2. the second update in two weeks..... that's what it's like for an app that is in current development..... Sorta like Sonar getting at full number update every year.... So we are up to Sonar 8...... and the buzz is everywhere.......
post edited by BremenCole - 2008/09/12 22:35:41

Just don't get X1 
cryophonik
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/12 22:46:11 (permalink)
"Man up"? What are you, fifteen? It's just software, dude!

Relax, just giving you a hard time. But seriously, the fact remains that none of us know the fate of Project5 at this point and some people are going to believe what we've been told until we hear different. You may very well end up being right and P5 may be dead, but you know nothing more than the rest of us do, so your opinion is no better than anybody else's. Bottom line is this - people are going to disagree with you in life and you really should learn to not take it so personally. Again, it's just software.

BremenCole
RE: Is Project5 3.0 ever coming out? 2008/09/12 22:48:03 (permalink)
lol

Funny stuff cryophonic! I'll have to show my grand kids the "fifteen" line, maybe then they will think I'm cool :)
post edited by BremenCole - 2008/09/13 09:57:54

Just don't get X1 
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1