AnsweredIs it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/17 16:12:35 (permalink)
I feel like midi editing could use some improving. AudioSnap needs a lot of work as well.

The one thing that is getting to me right now is that I wish Cake would be up front about a timeline for X4. If it's nowhere near complete, just say so rather than trying to hint it's not coming anytime soon. If you say Q2 2015 and it needs to be delayed, it needs to be delayed. No harm done. Not too many people would switch in the middle of a project anyway but I also don't want to start a new large project if X4 will be out in a week or a month. That being said, no one says anyone has to immediately change what they use, but a lot of us are early adopters and like to try out improved tools that might make our lives easier. The silence is worse than having an expected launch time and having it be delayed.

musichoo
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 811
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/17 16:25:53 (permalink)
I am a trained pianist who reads notation. But I did a piano and orchestra piece using only vsts ,entirely free timing without metronome, without notation. All editing is done in PRV view. At first I lament the lack of features in it's notation view having used Finale before. The more I used PRV view the power it's hidden power is revealed to me. Now I think cakewalk's PRV view is awesome and allows me to place my notes precisely anywhere I want. Now I am heavyly depended on PRV view. I have demoed Live and Reason before and I don't thing neither has the in depth features of Sonar's PRV view. 

If there is any new features that I desired in X4 that would be a built in mastering suite like Ozone 5 and a pumped up Matrix view that rival "you know who".

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/17 16:28:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2014/10/27 01:48:59
I think stronger contrast would help a lot. The pastel like options we have now probably all look alike to the color impaired population
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/17 19:17:53 (permalink)
How about a feature where you can select a range on the timeline and there is a read out in SONAR that tells you how long the selection is in H:M:S:F?

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/17 21:18:26 (permalink)
mike_mccue
How about a feature where you can select a range on the timeline and there is a read out in SONAR that tells you how long the selection is in H:M:S:F?

I've needed this a few times, but not enough to make a feature request. My workaround is to create a clip as long as the selection, then look in the Inspector's Clip tab for the length.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
melmyers
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 00:03:10 (permalink)
mike_mccue

A feature like this would be great when producing jingles. Creating a piece of music that is exactly 60-seconds long is tricky, usually achieved only after much trial-and-error with various tempos and arrangements.

Since I commonly set up a 1- or 2-bar count off, there's always a short amount of dead space at the front that affects the total timing. I have to click at the end of my music, note the total time, click at the end of the count off, note the count off time...and then subtract the count off time from the end-of-music time, to see if the tempo I've set brings me out to :60. 

It sure would be a lot quicker and easier if I could just select the range containing music and look at a read out. 

Mel Myers
Producer/Songwriter/Voiceover Talent
Sonar Platinum 64-bit/Intel Quad Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM/LGA1155 Motherboard/Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit /Focusrite 18i20/Cakewalk A-800 Pro/UAD-2 Quad PCIe/& a black and white Pomeranian who thinks he's the boss
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 00:36:43 (permalink)
a few things come to my mind , 
I agree with ,  " there is always room for improvement , but it doesn't have to hit you over the head "
I like that you think outside " the box / the cubicle  "

I sure hope you get the hovercraft and I'm not saying that to blow smoke up you keister ...
I lived in The Golden State for 10 years ….I know first hand that the traffic there sucks ….

Yes , I agree w John . I can see a nice progression of added features and usability with each version of SONAR that I have . I'm also in habit of keeping the versions of SONAR that I have installed and useable ...

+1 on revamping the Matrix View …... let me just leave it at that

a lot of ideas that people have said here I think are valid and it is not my place to comment on everything said .

I plan on coming back with some of my ideas for the X wish list 

thanks. 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Anderton
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 01:30:25 (permalink)
melmyers
Since I commonly set up a 1- or 2-bar count off, there's always a short amount of dead space at the front that affects the total timing.

Is there any particular reason why you don't use the metronome to give a one or two-bar countoff so the jingle starts at 0:00? You can have the metronome click only during the countoff, then shut up for the rest of the recording.

I have to click at the end of my music, note the total time, click at the end of the count off, note the count off time...and then subtract the count off time from the end-of-music time, to see if the tempo I've set brings me out to :60.

If you can use the metronome for the countoff so the jingle starts at 0:00, it gets much simpler:
  1. Set the timeline to H:M:S:F
  2. At 60 seconds, insert a marker. Call it "End" or whatever, and make sure you check "Lock to SMPTE Time."
Now no matter what you to do the tempo, the marker named "End" will always indicate the 60-second point. If you set the timeline to MBT (or add an MBT timeline), you can mess with the tempo until the place you want in the music lines up with 60 seconds. For example with 4/4, you can see that at 144.1 BPM, you have exactly 36 measures. at 128, you have exactly 32 measures...and so on.

If you can't use the countoff for some reason and have to start at a place other than 0:00, at least you can use the marker to indicate the position of where the jingle is supposed to end, regardless of what you do with the tempo and MBT ruler. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 09:26:19 (permalink)
"... but I'd also like to feel I've made maximum use of Addictive Drums ..."

I thought I had until I bought a bunch of the midi packs last week...I'm absolutely blown away how "human" AD2 sounds (and I've been a part-time/full time pro drummer for 4 decades now) and feel it was worth the upgrade alone!

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 09:52:30 (permalink)
I'd like to see communication with hardware like Pro Tools did Eleven Rack.

I don't know but I imagine guitarists are a large percentage of Cakes customer base so it's easy for
me to see that if Cake did something like team up with Fractals Axe unit to store/recall settings it would
be a major plus.
I know if X3 wouldn't have been so good I would have made the change because not only being able to get the sounds from units like the Axe and Eleven Rack just aren't happening with sims and having the settings for the units
being stored with the tracks for recall is big. Big enough that I'm sure it didn't hurt Pro Tools sales any.

I'm not holding my breath but seeing Melodyn show did give hope.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 11:17:52 (permalink)
a big + 1 on getting the Addictive Drums , and Melodyne  w X 3 . theres also a few  plugs in The Studio Mixing Suite that I happen to like a lot ...

what I'm about to mention might already be easily possible to do in X3 . I haven't tried to do it yet ..
if someone here knows how to accomplish this please let me know to….
Samplitude has a feature where you can switch between modes that are optimized for working on specific tasks ..
default, editing , Mastering , power user …ect …ect  ...
the whole program changes when it is in these specific modes and a lot of the un necessary menus and clutter stays somewhat hidden …I know one or two folks here know what I mean ….

now w X3 i think it's possible to go there by using screen shot's , but I'm not sure how to get there ...
I would imagine that I would have to create work spaces , then take screen shots and then save this all collectivly as a template ? yes ? no ?
I would be most interested in being able to recall these globaly on any project that I'm working on ..
is that possible ?

I thought also maybe it would be sweet if Cakewalk created some sort of screen shot device chains / work oriented task environments along the lines of which I am talking about where SONAR can morph and simplify the users work space .

that's what I have for now ,

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

Anderton
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 11:31:48 (permalink)
AT
My most fervent wish is for a more live environment for the matrix.  Building on the matrix, but complete control over mixing functions for each button and channel.  Basically, something like the iPad Scrathpad built-in.  A 16 x 16 grid or something, with a linear time line on top of it to place longer bits (and keep track of where one is). 

If Sonar doesn't beef up the matrix view, don't forget you can always rewire Live into Sonar.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 11:45:28 (permalink)
Kenny I think you mean Screensets. I would look at them and try to see how powerful they are. 

I know what you mean about Samplitude having modes but in the end all that is is controlling what is shown. Sonar doesn't do that. Everything is at your fingertips at all times with Sonar. But, you could have a project with most everything hidden for example.

Best
John
kennywtelejazz
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 12:04:12 (permalink)
John
Kenny I think you mean Screensets. I would look at them and try to see how powerful they are. 

I know what you mean about Samplitude having modes but in the end all that is is controlling what is shown. Sonar doesn't do that. Everything is at your fingertips at all times with Sonar. But, you could have a project with most everything hidden for example.

Yes John you are right I meant to say Screen sets …I have used a few in a per project setting ...
I'm thinking along the lines of global screen sets that I can recall in any project at will .

Yes SONAR does show every thing and my 15  inch lap top screen does not offer a lot of screen real estate ..
it is simply to way condensed ..even when I wear my reading glasses it becomes a strain in a long work session .

sure , I have tried to hide a few things and use the muti dock to recall task oriented things ..you know , synths plugs , track editing….console view , staff view ..
the thing about the other program is in some of these settings , the metering and the editing is much easier for me to see visually ...

thanks, 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

John
Forum Host
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 12:51:00 (permalink)
Here is a demo song for X3 as it is displayed when opened.

Here is a shot of a few changes to the display.  I used C to hide the Control Bar and F11 to maximize the TV.

With the keyboard shortcuts and screensets you can do a lot. I would also recommend dual monitors.

Best
John
melmyers
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 19:49:34 (permalink)
Anderton
melmyers
Since I commonly set up a 1- or 2-bar count off, there's always a short amount of dead space at the front that affects the total timing.

Is there any particular reason why you don't use the metronome to give a one or two-bar countoff so the jingle starts at 0:00? You can have the metronome click only during the countoff, then shut up for the rest of the recording.

If you can't use the countoff for some reason and have to start at a place other than 0:00, at least you can use the marker to indicate the position of where the jingle is supposed to end, regardless of what you do with the tempo and MBT ruler. 

I quit using the pre-timeline count off long ago, because it doesn't allow for any note to be recorded a split-second before the 1. Too often, I would finish a whole take and then discover that my very first note was missing because I had struck it a fraction of a millisecond before Sonar started recording. Including the count off into the time line and then beginning recording with the 2nd or 3rd measure has never caused me any problems, with the exception of the timing issue when writing jingles. 

Thanks for the SMPTE marker suggestion, though. I will try it.

Mel Myers
Sonar Platinum 64-bit/Intel Quad Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM/LGA1155 Motherboard/Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit /Focusrite 18i20/Cakewalk A-800 Pro/UAD-2 Quad PCIe/& a black and white Pomeranian who thinks he's the boss
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 21:08:05 (permalink)
Reading this thread it seems (correct me if I'm wrong)... More of the same please just even better... and I suspect that is exactly what will happen :)

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
John
Forum Host
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 21:29:39 (permalink)
Please sir, more?  

Best
John
John
Forum Host
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 21:32:08 (permalink)
One thing is I don't envy the CW developers. Its going to be hard top X3.

Best
John
Anderton
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 22:54:13 (permalink)
melmyers

I quit using the pre-timeline count off long ago, because it doesn't allow for any note to be recorded a split-second before the 1. Too often, I would finish a whole take and then discover that my very first note was missing because I had struck it a fraction of a millisecond before Sonar started recording. Including the count off into the time line and then beginning recording with the 2nd or 3rd measure has never caused me any problems, with the exception of the timing issue when writing jingles. 

Thanks for the SMPTE marker suggestion, though. I will try it.

Ah, so does this mean you're talking about MIDI and not audio? If so, given that life would be easier for timings if you could start at 0, wouldn't it be a worthwhile tradeoff to just enter that first note manually if it was before 0 and didn't register? My tradeoff is to hit the note a little bit late to make sure it "sticks," then move it to 0 after the recording is done.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to get some insight into the process. Personally, I think Sonar's toolkit is well-suited to jingles, but if some feature could be added that would make really help the jingle-making process, I'd like to know about it.

I would think the idea of "0 is 0" is embedded deep in Sonar's personality, but that's just a guess. It might be simple to have a countoff not just add the metronome click, but enable a record buffer so anything recorded prior to 0 gets pushed forward to start at 0. Or something...

kennywtelejazz
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/18 22:58:46 (permalink)
John
Here is a demo song for X3 as it is displayed when opened.

Here is a shot of a few changes to the display.  I used C to hide the Control Bar and F11 to maximize the TV.

With the keyboard shortcuts and screensets you can do a lot. I would also recommend dual monitors.

Hello John,
thank you for trying to me help out  
I have been using screen sets in X3 a little here and there , I happen to think it is a wonderful feature .
I'm also learning my A B C 's of using the keyboard shortcuts .
On a per project basis I have found those workflow enhancements useful . what I am asking for is somewhat different.

rather than try to explain myself here and now ...what I 'm gonna do is work on this on my own time , get as far as I can get ..then when I get stuck I will come back and enlist the community at large in a separate thread addressing my concerns ….

oh a funny thing John , I do have an older flat monitor that has been in use on my XP computer .
I went out and bought an adaptor so I could run it w the lap top …I set it up and was able to experience the dual screen work flow  in X 3 …this old monitor seemed dark and I couldn't get it light enough …anyway I disconnected  it after I  shut off my computer ….next time I went to start X3 it was just w the lap top alone ...
I almost had a heart attack ..X3 loaded and I couldn't find it until I swiped the mouse across the screen and got it back 
anyway i think getting a larger screen may help greatly …it may be to my benefit to bring the lappy to store when I am ready to pull the trigger and pick up a screen that is large enough and bright enough for my needs
thanks ...

John
One thing is I don't envy the CW developers. Its going to be hard top X3.

Yes…. a big reason why I started this thread ...

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/10/18 23:08:59

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

melmyers
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/19 00:21:54 (permalink)
Anderton

Ah, so does this mean you're talking about MIDI and not audio? If so, given that life would be easier for timings if you could start at 0, wouldn't it be a worthwhile tradeoff to just enter that first note manually if it was before 0 and didn't register? My tradeoff is to hit the note a little bit late to make sure it "sticks," then move it to 0 after the recording is done.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to get some insight into the process. Personally, I think Sonar's toolkit is well-suited to jingles, but if some feature could be added that would make really help the jingle-making process, I'd like to know about it.

I don't feel like you're giving me a hard time at all. I appreciate your interest.

MIDI AND audio are problematic, but the MIDI is easier to fix (as you pointed out) than audio. In one composition, I was trying to start with a guitar chord arpeggio, where I slowly strummed the individual strings, beginning a fraction of a second before 0. Since Sonar didn't record the first of my strum, I had to re-perform the part from the start, which was a time-consuming hassle, considering the fact that the rest of my take was like I wanted it. 

Doing as you suggest and hitting the first note a little bit late results in messing with the feel of the part from the word "go". At least for me, it's difficult to play a part with the feeling I'm going for, when I have to consciously delay the very first note. 

You are correct that Sonar has a toolkit well-suited to jingles. Mike McCue's suggestion to be able to "select a range on the timeline and there is a read out in SONAR that tells you how long the selection is in H:M:S:F" would make it better, and not just for determining the total length of a piece. 

For example, I typically arrange a 60-second jingle to begin with a few seconds of intro for announcer talk time, followed by the jingle sing, a bed for the main commercial voice-over, an end jingle sing, and then a short instrumental stinger to provide for the business address or whatever at the very end. In order to note the exact timings of the intro music, main instrumental bed and end stinger for an advertising copywriter, I now have to take the mix into Adobe Audition 3 and do as Mike suggests...because Audition will do it while Sonar will not. 

As I mentioned, I abandoned Sonar's pre-zero metronome count off and developed my system of including a count off in the timeline long ago, when I first started using Sonar 7. Whether I was recording a jingle or a song, having the program miss the first note of an otherwise pristine take became something that I could not live with. 
post edited by melmyers - 2014/10/19 01:49:00

Mel Myers
kennywtelejazz
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/19 01:34:43 (permalink)

this sounds encouraging 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/19 03:04:10 (permalink)
I started with Pro Audio 9, and while I have not upgraded every time, I have owned PA9 plus six versions of Sonar, culminating with X3. For the first time, I am completely happy with my DAW. The interface, the workflow, the included plugins, Melodyne, Addictive Drums, blah, blah, blah, and it is the most stable version yet.

But the timetable calls for a new version soon, and this is what I've been asking myself: What can Cakewalk possibly say or do to turn me against X3 and make me feel as if I must upgrade? Because that's what it comes down to. You don't change your DAW unless you feel as if the one you're using is inadequate or outdated. The love has to go out of it for you, and every time you load the program you feel resentful and frustrated. If they do a bunch of little under-the-hood enhancements, I don't think I'd be inclined to move away from X3. I mean, there are small annoyances I'd like to see fixed, but for those I could wait a version or two.

Maybe I don't have enough imagination to think of what Cakewalk could do that would be earthshaking enough. But I recall it was Addictive Drums that convinced me to move from X2. That offer hit just as I was thinking about a new MIDI drum package, so maybe another giant expensive VSTi or Melodyne Editor or something might ring my bell.

In the meantime, X3 and I, we're doing just fine.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Anderton
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/19 11:42:49 (permalink)
melmyers
You are correct that Sonar has a toolkit well-suited to jingles. Mike McCue's suggestion to be able to "select a range on the timeline and there is a read out in SONAR that tells you how long the selection is in H:M:S:F" would make it better, and not just for determining the total length of a piece. 

I'm not aware of that being on the feature request list (you might want to do so), but meanwhile, check this out: you can insert a tempo change for just the first measure or two to make sure it's some nice easy number of seconds. For example if you make the first measure 120 BPM, it will last exactly 2 seconds so measure 2 and the rest of the music will start exactly at the 2-second mark. I just tried this and it works great. Put the locked marker at 62 seconds, and you'll always know exactly where 60 seconds begins and ends, as well as the offset you need to subtract (2 seconds) to know exactly where you are in the jingle.

Of course there's the other workaround I suggested - insert an audio track and put a clip in it - any clip - and mute the track. Make the clip the length of whatever you want to measure, and you can see its length in the Inspector's Clip tab. This readout can be in HMSF or the other variants. That, combined with the marker locked to SMPTE, should help make life easier. You'll at least know where the hard end hits, and can measure without having to do any math. But the tempo change thing is pretty slick...give it a shot.

kitekrazy1
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/20 22:39:09 (permalink)
Anderton
thomasabarnes
In the past, users have expressed a desire for a gapless audio engine and staff view improvements.

Frankly, I think the notation train has left the station in general. The more recent programs like Studio One, Live, and Reason don't do it at all. Avid had an opportunity when they bought Sibelius to fold hardcore notation into Pro Tools but did a lighter version instead. Cubase is still heavy on notation and that probably won't go away, given Yamaha's interest in the traditional educational market. But I just can't see a greatly improved staff view in Sonar making much of a difference in terms of attracting new users, and while there are existing users who would love Sonar's gestalt bundled with a great staff view, it seems to be a minority viewpoint compared to the user base as a whole. I could be wrong, of course.

That's because the user base who wanted staff view improvement switched to Cubase.  
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/20 22:50:34 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
Anderton
thomasabarnes
In the past, users have expressed a desire for a gapless audio engine and staff view improvements.

Frankly, I think the notation train has left the station in general. The more recent programs like Studio One, Live, and Reason don't do it at all. Avid had an opportunity when they bought Sibelius to fold hardcore notation into Pro Tools but did a lighter version instead. Cubase is still heavy on notation and that probably won't go away, given Yamaha's interest in the traditional educational market. But I just can't see a greatly improved staff view in Sonar making much of a difference in terms of attracting new users, and while there are existing users who would love Sonar's gestalt bundled with a great staff view, it seems to be a minority viewpoint compared to the user base as a whole. I could be wrong, of course.

That's because the user base who wanted staff view improvement switched to Cubase.  

That's opinion. And possible Libel. 

Show us X4 Noel and Co. Bring the Ruckus! 

I hope it's not X3 with lots of third party stuff seeing as I can't see much to improve.
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/20 22:58:41 (permalink)
Anderton
melmyers

I have to click at the end of my music, note the total time, click at the end of the count off, note the count off time...and then subtract the count off time from the end-of-music time, to see if the tempo I've set brings me out to :60.

It is common (not just common, but expected) in film/video work for a program to begin @ 01:00:00;00 for many reason I won't get into here.  Working in this environment I picked up the habit of starting my time sensitive projects :10 into a sequence.  My video SYMPTE offset in preferences is always set @ :00:59:50;00.  Once I pick my tempo I manipulate the meter so beat 1 of my music starts at 01:00:00;00. (it could be measure 6 as an example).  I open the "Big Clock" and can easily see where 60 seconds will fall. (01:01:00;00..everything is off set by one hour)

Another way...maybe easier...if you want to start your sequence in measure 3,  Just manipulate your SYMPTE off-set until 01:00:00;00  lines up at measure 3.  For example: if your meter is 4/4 and 120 BPM, and a offset of  :00:59:56:00.. measure 3 will have a SYMPTE clock time of 01:00:00:00. 

You can find the sympte Off set at    Preferences>Project>Clock.  And here is another clue.  If your music is longer than 1 minute, you are better off setting your frame rate at 29:97 df  (dropframe)  the timing will be more accurate.

This stuff becomes second nature once you've done it a couple of times. 

Sorry about this font...don't know how it got there and any attempts to change it made things worse

post edited by Jimbo 88 - 2014/10/20 23:05:40

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

kitekrazy1
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/21 01:35:47 (permalink)
backwoods
kitekrazy1
Anderton
thomasabarnes

That's opinion. And possible Libel. 

Show us X4 Noel and Co. Bring the Ruckus! 

I hope it's not X3 with lots of third party stuff seeing as I can't see much to improve.

It's actually ignorance on your behalf.  This forum is a small world.  Check Vi-Control, NSS forums you will find more who switched to Cubase for it's better scoring abilities than sticking with Sonar.  You can google "Sonar's staff view" or even search this forum.  It's a reality that strikes at the heart of this forum's "fanboyism".  People on this forum have gotten harsh treatment because they wanted a better staff view. They started on it because it had a staff view.  After so many years of no improvement and it's something that is really important to them while something out there is better why would they stick with it?  "Other DAWs don't have it" is not a good argument. Usually a DAW with notation is priced higher.

Anderton
Re: Is it even possible to top X 3's performance and features when X 4 comes out ? 2014/10/21 02:22:19 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
It's actually ignorance on your behalf.  This forum is a small world.  Check Vi-Control, NSS forums you will find more who switched to Cubase for it's better scoring abilities than sticking with Sonar.

I'm not sure I'd consider those big worlds...but anecdotal evidence isn't really that valid. Just because I know people who switched from Cubase to Sonar doesn't mean anything, other than that they found workflow more important to their needs than notation.

In any case, it seems obvious that if someone wants heavy-duty staff view abilities, they'd switch to a program that emphasizes that feature. Or if they want to use looping live, they'd switch to Ableton Live. If they buy Premiere, they'll probably switch to Audition and if mastering was a crucial part of their workflow, they might opt for Samplitude. The concept that people gravitate towards programs that suit their needs isn't surprising, at least to me. I've switched platforms multiple times to use what suited my needs best at the time.

People on this forum have gotten harsh treatment because they wanted a better staff view. They started on it because it had a staff view.  After so many years of no improvement and it's something that is really important to them while something out there is better why would they stick with it?

If someone likes Sonar's workflow but wants a program with heavy-duty notation, then they need to make a choice. Some may stick with Sonar because as one user just posted, he used to work with notation but has since found the piano roll superior for his needs. They might choose to rewire a program like Notion, or block out in a notation-oriented program then import into Sonar for mixing. People have different needs and choose the options that meet their needs the best...as they should.

For Cakewalk, the returns of implementing a fancy staff view are not commensurate with the resources needed to implement it. I can print out lead sheets; if I need engraving quality (e.g., for musical examples in books) no DAW really does the job anyway. I'm probably fairly typical. Heavy-duty notation is just not that important to the majority of Sonar users, based not on anecdotal evidence but on a statistically valid sampling of the user base. The lack of interest also indicate that if it was implemented, a major (and expensive) marketing effort would be needed to convince people who are using existing notation-friendly programs to switch. There's no guarantee that would be successful, and unless Sonar attracted a whole bunch of new users because of implementing notation, then it's really not worth the resources.

Features like comping, ARA integration, and VST3 support affects a large percentage of the user base and are prioritized in terms of resources.

"Other DAWs don't have it" is not a good argument.

Actually, it is. It means they've likely done similar research and come to the same conclusion. 

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1