Helpful ReplyIs this AIR Loom II ???

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/08/09 01:24:22 (permalink)
abacab
Loom is really special, and takes such a different approach to synthesis, that even if you are already familiar with dozens of subtractive synths, this one makes a noob of everyone, LOL!

I really like watching the partials on the Morph page!  It's like a digital Lava Lamp!

Turn down the lights, grab a drink, and have fun! 

Big ole +1 - the partials are a winner.  

But it's actually additive, not subtractive, which I think is the main reason it sounds and behaves different than most other synths.  There's something "transparent" yet edgy that I really like.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/08/09 01:59:11 (permalink)
stevec

But it's actually additive, not subtractive, which I think is the main reason it sounds and behaves different than most other synths.  There's something "transparent" yet edgy that I really like.

Um, yeah, I realize that.  I was making a comparison in switching from the workflow of a subtractive synth to that of an additive synth.  Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
sbangsair
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 13:35:33 (permalink)
Hi Guys

Its now live at our website hope you enjoy :)
abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 14:42:50 (permalink)
sbangsair
Hi Guys

Its now live at our website hope you enjoy :)

Hey, thanks for the heads up Simon!  Looks interesting!

Is this the first of many updated AIR instruments to come, or a one-off?  Just curious because I have the entire AIR collection. 

I also just recently got into Akai VIP 3.0, so any info about VIP compatibility for Loom II, as well as updated VIP patch maps would be a plus!  VIP is working great with the original AIR instruments.

sbangsair
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 14:44:26 (permalink)
We have a number more planned and hope to release these over the next few months :)
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 15:11:29 (permalink)
Just a warning, the trial for version 2 overwrites version 1.  Not very happy about that.  Isn't resizeable either (I wasn't sure so I decided to try the trial version).  I bet I'm going to have to uninstall it and reinstall the old one.  Seems to have stuck all my old presets (inlcuding the Tapestry expansion) under "Loom 1 Legacy"  I wonder if I install Loom 1 again if I can go back but not loose the presets?

-Matt

sbangsair
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 15:14:41 (permalink)
msorrels
Just a warning, the trial for version 2 overwrites version 1.  Not very happy about that.  Isn't resizeable either (I wasn't sure so I decided to try the trial version).  I bet I'm going to have to uninstall it and reinstall the old one.  Seems to have stuck all my old presets (inlcuding the Tapestry expansion) under "Loom 1 Legacy"  I wonder if I install Loom 1 again if I can go back but not loose the presets?

It wont hurt any user presets or expansions :)
2 will over write use the same ID's as one to avoid breaking any existing projects.
abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 15:29:35 (permalink)
msorrels

Isn't resizeable either (I wasn't sure so I decided to try the trial version).  

Yup, that is a biggie for me!  Was hoping for that as well as an updated patch browser.  The AIR instruments are all very nice, but they REALLY need to improve those areas to get them up to date with the newer instruments out there.

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 15:39:44 (permalink)
For some reason all my Air instruments keep losing the presets. I have to re-install to get them back. I have lost them 3 times now. It is to the point that I don't re-install Loom, Xpand and some others. While Loom looks really powerful, I haven't taken the time to really learn it so it is low on my re-install priorities.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
msorrels
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 15:46:48 (permalink)
Seems kind of buggy.  After going through maybe 20-30 presets it no longer would let me switch back to the morph mode (I pressed the button and it lit up but the UI wouldn't change).  It crashed shortly later.  I've uninstalled it, I don't have the energy to fight another crashing soft synth.  Now I have to find (or download) the version 1 installer to get back I guess. 

On my 4096x2160 31" monitor the existing Loom UI is painful.  They also didn't add drag and drop reordering of modules, which along with resizing, weren't unreasonable version 2 requests.  The new Spectral Noise and Subharmonics do seem pretty nice, but not $50 upgrade nice.  Had they added resizing UI and drag and drop module reordering I could see upgrading, but as it stands now, I think I'm going to hold off.

-Matt

msorrels
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 15:55:37 (permalink)
It looks like Loom 1 stores it's presets in the C:\Program Files (x86)\AIR Music Technology\Loom\Presets which for most users is going to cause all kinds of security issues, since Windows doesn't let you write to that location and will play all kinds of crazy shadow directory games.  Loom 2 looks like they moved the presets to %programdata% (which is usually c:\ProgramData) which might work a bit better, but is still not how apps should work (they should be using %appdata%).

Good news though, I uninstalled Loom 2 and downloaded and re-installed Loom 1 and everything is back how it was.  (well except for the 15 day trial license on my ilok).

-Matt

abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 17:02:47 (permalink)
DrLumen
For some reason all my Air instruments keep losing the presets. I have to re-install to get them back. I have lost them 3 times now. It is to the point that I don't re-install Loom, Xpand and some others. While Loom looks really powerful, I haven't taken the time to really learn it so it is low on my re-install priorities.

Losing presets doesn't sound normal.  I run stock Windows 10 Pro (x64) as Administrator with UAC enabled, and have never had that happen.  It may be some sort of local account permission issue as msorrels pointed to.  But the intrigue continues in my following comments ...

I install all 64-bit VST plugins (including AIR) in "C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns".  I install AIR sample content on my data drive at "D:\Air Music Technology".

Now here's the weird part >> I found all of my AIR factory presets in my Program Files (x86) path, even for my 64-bit AIR plugins.  There is a sub-folder for each of them in here >> "C:\Program Files (x86)\AIR Music Technology"

Maybe it's my fault for letting it install here at some point, but it works, and I'm not going to mess with it.  Apparently some scheme to let the 32-bit and 64-bit plugs share presets, MIDI assignments and such.  There is nothing in my VST path except the .dll's themselves, no presets, nothing.

msorrels
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 17:08:30 (permalink)
You don't get to pick where AIR installs the presets, only the samples (for instruments that have samples/content).  Most of the older AIR instruments stuff presets in the 32-bit program files dir.

-Matt

abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 17:14:06 (permalink)
msorrels
You don't get to pick where AIR installs the presets, only the samples (for instruments that have samples/content).  Most of the older AIR instruments stuff presets in the 32-bit program files dir.

Been over a year since I installed, so I couldn't recall for sure. Perhaps DrLumen has done something that blocks the plugin access to the 32-bit Program Files folder?

Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 17:39:39 (permalink)
saw an email / upgrade price, not impressed with the price (vs other vendors for upgrades).. and if I know other things are getting updated? I'll play the waiting game and get an upgrade as a bundle instead.

DrLumen
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/12 21:29:50 (permalink)
abacab
msorrels

Been over a year since I installed, so I couldn't recall for sure. Perhaps DrLumen has done something that blocks the plugin access to the 32-bit Program Files folder?

I'm not sure what the deal is. I'll go to use one and it only shows the default and won't let me select any others. Strangely the defaults works fine. Maybe that is the demo mode or something. I'll check the paths and ownership. Thanks for the tips!

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/13 00:13:12 (permalink)
Loom (one) was pretty special, so I’m quite interested in Loom II, hoping AIR will also update Vacuum Pro and Velvet.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/13 02:22:39 (permalink)
Loom II is taking quite a beating over at KVR.  Just sayin...

Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/13 08:35:09 (permalink)
Yep. Upgrade price blues. ‘Tis the season.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
DrLumen
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/13 12:28:37 (permalink)
FWIW, I checked the paths and permissions. The directory structures for all the synths exist but the preset folders are missing from some (very likely the ones I didn't reload after the last loss). Deleting them is not something I would have done nor would any windows process be so selective. I'm thinking some defective anti-piracy thing is at play.

I like some of the instruments but I'm certainly not masochistic to continue to fight with little used synths. For that matter, I see no reason to 'upgrade'.

Kicks soap box away...

abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/10/13 13:15:13 (permalink)

jazzyanne
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/11/03 04:40:26 (permalink)
Got Loom 2 but can not find Tapestry expansion presets. Anyone know how to do this? There is no installation for Tapestry, just preset file names. At least that is what I have. 
abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/11/03 15:34:23 (permalink)
jazzyanne
Got Loom 2 but can not find Tapestry expansion presets. Anyone know how to do this? There is no installation for Tapestry, just preset file names. At least that is what I have. 

Tapestry has been available as a free download from the AIR website.

Here > http://www.airmusictech.c...view/tapestry-for-loom

For Windows, you just unzip the Tapestry folder to this path > C:\Program Files (x86)\AIR Music Technology\Loom\Presets

kevaquarian
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/11/20 18:59:22 (permalink)
ZincTrumpet
Nice find abacab. Looking forward to the update.
I have been using Loom, Transfuser and Hybrid a lot so any updates (especially free) would be welcome.

One thing that irks me slightly with these Air plugins is that whenever I use them on a project whichever preset I have selected gets saved as the preset - 1 (or maybe + 1, can't remember exactly). So when I load the project I have to remember to select the preset next to the one that gets loaded. Anyone else notice this or have a solution?

Hi. I found this thread while trying to find anything regarding preset recall problems with Loom 1. I can confirm that there are recall problems in Logic 10.3.2. It's also happening intermittently with Air Vacuum Pro. Very frustrating. Loom 1 is also now crashing on my very clean setup - I have had to remove it from my plugin folder in order to get the project to load ok.. I've emailed Air support but they have not got back to me in about a week. Hmmmm....
abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/11/20 19:18:14 (permalink)
kevaquarian
ZincTrumpet
I have been using Loom, Transfuser and Hybrid a lot so any updates (especially free) would be welcome.

One thing that irks me slightly with these Air plugins is that whenever I use them on a project whichever preset I have selected gets saved as the preset - 1 (or maybe + 1, can't remember exactly). So when I load the project I have to remember to select the preset next to the one that gets loaded. Anyone else notice this or have a solution?

Hi. I found this thread while trying to find anything regarding preset recall problems with Loom 1. I can confirm that there are recall problems in Logic 10.3.2. It's also happening intermittently with Air Vacuum Pro. Very frustrating. Loom 1 is also now crashing on my very clean setup - I have had to remove it from my plugin folder in order to get the project to load ok.. I've emailed Air support but they have not got back to me in about a week. Hmmmm....

I realize that these plugins are cross platform, but most of the users on this site are Windows based, so if the issue has any Mac dependencies you are not likely to get much useful feedback here.

If you don't get any satisfaction from the AIR tech support, you can check with the AIR Software Brand Manager, Simon Bangs, either here by PM to 'sbangsair', or visit the AIR Music Tech forum over at KVR Audio.  Over at KVR he is known as 'sbangs_air'.  He generally seems more active over there in the official KVR AIR forum, but he does pop in here occasionally with a product update.  https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=265

kevaquarian
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/11/20 22:09:01 (permalink)
abacab
kevaquarian
ZincTrumpet

I realize that these plugins are cross platform, but most of the users on this site are Windows based, so if the issue has any Mac dependencies you are not likely to get much useful feedback here.

If you don't get any satisfaction from the AIR tech support, you can check with the AIR Software Brand Manager, Simon Bangs, either here by PM to 'sbangsair', or visit the AIR Music Tech forum over at KVR Audio.  Over at KVR he is known as 'sbangs_air'.  He generally seems more active over there in the official KVR AIR forum, but he does pop in here occasionally with a product update. 

Many thanks - it is curious that the preset problem appears to be possibly across Windows/VST and AU though. eh?

I'll follow up via the routes you suggest - thanks again for your reply and attention on this.

abacab
Re: Is this AIR Loom II ??? 2017/11/20 23:22:31 (permalink)
kevaquarian

Many thanks - it is curious that the preset problem appears to be possibly across Windows/VST and AU though. eh?

I'll follow up via the routes you suggest - thanks again for your reply and attention on this.

No worries!  Hope you get it sorted!

I have the full AIR instrument collection and that preset problem has never appeared for me.  Overall AIR plugins work very well for me!  You are actually only the second person I have seen that has raised this preset issue.   

While there may be a quirk here and there, most users seem to be satisfied overall with their AIR products.  I won't say that AIR is 100% bug free, but as software products go, it's not that bad.  Great value for the money! 

There is also an AIR user community, but if you have a real problem, the moderators will usually direct you to the company support site.  But you can review common problems there.  http://community.airmusictech.com/airmusictech

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1