Helpful ReplyIsolate A Bad Frequency?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Isolate A Bad Frequency? 2018/09/11 19:06:37 (permalink)
I'm just saying I'm all for every kind of technology.  I love what we can do in recording and music production today and it seems that the future holds much promise in the field.  Probably in the next 5 years or so the vocal sampling technology will come to the point where a person who just likes to write (and doesn't have anybody easily accessible who can sing and can't sing him/herself) will be able to use a vocal creation program that will sound absolutely human.  There are signs of that coming out now, but they are not quite perfected yet to the point where you can't tell the difference between a computer program and a real singer at least that's in the affordable range yet, but I think it's coming and soon.  At the same time, I'm all for a person with a talent in music (or anything) to develop it as best they can without using any helps.  It's still a great pleasure to hear a live band or orchestra with a singer who really knows how to sing naturally.  Music is a beautiful art no matter how you can make it.  If you can move an audience that's the important thing.

JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Isolate A Bad Frequency? 2018/09/11 21:31:15 (permalink)
Johnbee58
I'm just saying I'm all for every kind of technology.  I love what we can do in recording and music production today and it seems that the future holds much promise in the field.  Probably in the next 5 years or so the vocal sampling technology will come to the point where a person who just likes to write (and doesn't have anybody easily accessible who can sing and can't sing him/herself) will be able to use a vocal creation program that will sound absolutely human.  There are signs of that coming out now, but they are not quite perfected yet to the point where you can't tell the difference between a computer program and a real singer at least that's in the affordable range yet, but I think it's coming and soon.  At the same time, I'm all for a person with a talent in music (or anything) to develop it as best they can without using any helps.  It's still a great pleasure to hear a live band or orchestra with a singer who really knows how to sing naturally.  Music is a beautiful art no matter how you can make it.  If you can move an audience that's the important thing.

JB

By the way, I listened to your song. Your song is not bad as you made it seem in your original post.

Your vocals are not terrible either. Just need some polishing.

In the end, it is your music, and your art. You should do whatever you think will better represent your work.

Regardless of all the advise, including mine, you do what you feel. It is your music.

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Isolate A Bad Frequency? 2018/09/11 22:21:47 (permalink)
Audioicon
Johnbee58

JB

By the way, I listened to your song. Your song is not bad as you made it seem in your original post.

Your vocals are not terrible either. Just need some polishing.

In the end, it is your music, and your art. You should do whatever you think will better represent your work.

Regardless of all the advise, including mine, you do what you feel. It is your music.

Thank you.  I also hope you understand that I'm not knocking your advise.  It's valid and makes all the sense in the world.  In general, practice improves everything but I've tried everything you suggested.  My melodies sometimes are complex (not this one) and it takes me a long time to train my ear to sing them right.  Some people criticize me for my complex melodies but that's how I am.  I'm a jazz lover and jazz melodies can be more complex than pop or rock tunes.  But I try to always make my melodies theoretically correct.  That's important to me.  As far as hitting the higher notes without sounding that I'm straining, I've tried everything.  Vocal warm ups before recording, singing the melody in the car and anyplace I can in an attempt to practice.   For me, sometimes these things work and sometimes they don't but I break my butt to get them the best I can.  Sometimes I just have to accept that I can only get it so good, (but I can dream that they're better).  I'm not a pro.  I gave up that dream 40 years ago.  I just love music and I love to make it because it reminds me that I'm more than just a retired bakery worker.

JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Isolate A Bad Frequency? 2018/09/11 22:58:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/09/14 12:08:17
Johnbee58
Thank you.  I also hope you understand that I'm not knocking your advise.  It's valid and makes all the sense in the world.  In general, practice improves everything but I've tried everything you suggested.  My melodies sometimes are complex (not this one) and it takes me a long time to train my ear to sing them right.  Some people criticize me for my complex melodies but that's how I am.  I'm a jazz lover and jazz melodies can be more complex than pop or rock tunes.  But I try to always make my melodies theoretically correct.  That's important to me.  As far as hitting the higher notes without sounding that I'm straining, I've tried everything.  Vocal warm ups before recording, singing the melody in the car and anyplace I can in an attempt to practice.   For me, sometimes these things work and sometimes they don't but I break my butt to get them the best I can.  Sometimes I just have to accept that I can only get it so good, (but I can dream that they're better).  I'm not a pro.  I gave up that dream 40 years ago.  I just love music and I love to make it because it reminds me that I'm more than just a retired bakery worker.

JB

I get it, and I am not taking this personally. 

I think sometimes it is the material. I too have attempted to record certain songs and no matter what I do, it is just terrible and through this I discovered not all songs will work for my voice.

Luckily for me, I am at the stage where I can quickly determine this and move on, rather than trying for months to make the song work.

I think this is part of what you are experiencing. The song should come natural, it should be like eating or love making, or breathing, just flow, not trying to make things work.

If you have an array of songs, try other songs or get other people to sing your material.

Johnbee58
Sometimes I just have to accept that I can only get it so good, (but I can dream that they're better).  I'm not a pro.  I gave up that dream 40 years ago.  

Everybody is great in their own right, music is contagious and subjective. Bob Marley did not win a Grammy, neither have Brian McKnight. 

There is someone out there who is going to find your music the best they have ever heard, those are the people you want to target.

Don't take it personal, it will ruin your aspiration, instead; just do it and don't worry about it.

Music for me is an outlet, I will make music even if I was the only person alive on the planet, but if someone listens, then that's great otherwise I really don't care. 

BandLab is free! Just have fun.

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Isolate A Bad Frequency? 2018/09/13 19:12:54 (permalink)
The above post is some of the best advice ever.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1