JASON Video Scored in Sonar!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
Re:JASON Video Scored in Sonar! 2010/08/14 23:43:08 (permalink)
digimidi

Jose,  I was very impressed with the production values and the composition and execution put forth for the video.  I understand that the video portion is just a vehicle for you to score the feature and I have to admire the work and flow that went into it.  I monkey around with video myself, but am a long ways away from your level of sophistication.  Do you think that the same kind of stuff can be accomplished using Sony Vegas?  Like the other guy said, it would be cool to see how you made it.  You're not giving any secrets away.  It's like Photoshop - just because you have the software doesn't mean that one can exploit it.  Why don't you start posting the "Making of Jason" on YouTube?  Again, great stuff!

Cheers

Hey Digimidi,

Thanks for the compliments.  You can definitely achieve the same level of quality with Sony Vegas, no doubt about that.  To be honest, I didn't really do anything extraordinary compared to what others are doing in the video world.  I'm still in the learning process and nowhere near as comfortable using Adobe Premiere as I am with Sonar.  They're both equally fun and challenging though.  Seriously, I don't even know how to utilize all the plugins available in Premiere, just a few of them (and there's a TON of plugins).  I just try to do the best I can with the knowledge and tools I have.  Most of it was basic video editing, putting shots together to complete an idea.  The rest was VideoCopilot's "Twitch" and "Action Essentials 2" (the latter is where the smoke and fire comes from).  I also found some cool fonts and textures online for free, and modified them with a simple tint and blur FX.

I think the most important thing is to have vision and a clear understanding of what you want to achieve.  Then execute that vision starting with the best quality product possible and you'll be set, if it is good.  Also check out what others are doing to get ideas and such.  Since this was supposed to be a trailer, I looked at Hollywood trailers for inspiration.  The tutorials that I pointed SongCraft to served me as inspiration as well, and will teach you WAY more than I could ever teach anyone in a Youtube video.  Like I said earlier, they base their tutorials on After Effects, which is a more specialized software for crazy and advanced type of video effects.  But you can try to emulate them in Sony Vegas (I even think Vegas handles those type of special FX better than Premiere, since Adobe already has AE for such things).

Now, if you're talking about the music, then that's a different subject.  There's certainly a lot I can share regarding my workflow and the things I did to get there.  I wouldn't make a video on it, but I would try to explain in detail as much as I can if you're interested.  Let me know.

Thanks again!

@John,

Well, I do feel like I've won a Grammy :-P 

Naw, I just really appreciate the level of professionalism today's softwares enable us to accomplish.

We are living in great times my friend.  And it'll only get better.

Peace!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:JASON Video Scored in Sonar! 2010/08/15 00:48:07 (permalink)
Jose7822

@Song,

No problem man.

I really like that company for this type of work.  Like I said, their tutorials are excellent and FREE!

Their products are just as good.  Can't stress that enough :-)

@Cakewalk,

A BIG thanks to you guys for making this awesome software. 

I love the workflow I have developed in it, though I'm still perfecting it.

Keep up the good work!

Excellent!! Thanks again, got those sites bookmarked :)

Oh and... +100,000,01 to Cakewalk, got them bookmarked also :lol:

-

eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
Re:JASON Video Scored in Sonar! 2010/08/15 16:47:28 (permalink)
Absolutely superb job on the music, Jose! Watch out, you might have a career scoring!  Really well done, I can see music like that in many professional projects! Big kudos!
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
Re:JASON Video Scored in Sonar! 2010/08/15 18:09:28 (permalink)
Thanks James!

It means a LOT to me coming from you, who actually does this for a living.

Have a good one my friend!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2