Helpful ReplyJust Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 13:16:13 (permalink)
I run two Win 7 machines, a now 2.5 yr old HP Pavillion with a quad 3.4 Ghz core I3770 w 12 GB RAM and 2 displays and a 6 yr old Lenovo T500 Laptop duo core 3.06 Ghz.   I also made sure I ordered the HP  with upgraded power supply.  The HP cost just under a grand!   I also needed multiple PCIe slots which it had and beat audio which I didn;t need but to get a comparable machine from a custom manufacture would have been easily twice the price.    When I got the machine, I immediately disabled the Beats Audio (i don't even know how it sounds!) and removed any misc junk prpograms I didn't need.  All that took under an hour.  Also I disabled CPU parking which later I saw the cpu spiking at sort  regular intervals and read up and found the fix which was easy.   My projects usually average 60 - 70 tracks, mostly of live band, real drums and overdubs but I do use a couple of Synths like Dim Pro or CSC in almost all projects as well.   I also have 2 UAD 2 cards and slave another PCIe to a Star tech expander (which works for me) for more cards (Firewire and FW 800) for 2 more UAD Satellites so my system is well equipped and I run large projects and lots of plugins including many UAD and VSTs.  Only one time did my machine even start to pant and I think that is because of some issue deep in Sonar when I tracked a full band using comping by accident and had tons of comp tracks buried inside my project so a project that should have been 5 - 9 GB was 29 GB (Still have not solved it) but even with that, my HP Pavillion kicks most every projects ass and all for under 1000.00.  I also make sure I disabled services not needed run normal cleanup activities regularly.  I also run Vegas 12 occasionally too and the machine has never crapped out on me.    Oh... my machine also barely makes sound, very quiet!!  I am not dissing custom Music / Video PCs but if if you're not making feature films these days or constantly using huge sample libraries on many tracks (nothing an SSD drive can't cure) , there's just no reason to spend the twice the cost of an HP (or likely any other well know manufacturer).   

Basically the nature of my setup , I do that actual recording in another space using my laptop which handles 30 incoming tracks simulataneously with no issues, even when the project approached 2 hrs and multiple starts and stops.  Then I take out the ultra bay drive and plug it into the desktop and away I go.

"Store bought" configurable machines can be awesome and if you make the right choices and you can save a lot of money too!

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 13:44:14 (permalink)
stxx
"Store bought" configurable machines can be awesome and if you make the right choices and you can save a lot of money too!

Totally agreed, but "if" you make the right choices is a reason why those who don't know how to make those choices will pay someone to do that, and give you support if you run into problems. If you have a deadline and a seemingly intractable problem, it's very reassuring to make a call, have someone diddle with your machine using remote desktop, and get you back on the air. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 13:51:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/12/08 15:47:23
joden
A solid well spec'd off the shelf unit with later versions of Windows (7, 8.1 or 10) and you are pretty good to go.

Well I'd certainly agree a computer like that can be good to go, but it's not necessarily going to be acoustically treated, have a graphics card that doesn't use a fan, include an overrated power supply so you can run all those UA boards, incorporate enough RAM to stream all your Kontakt instruments from memory, etc. Granted, if you're savvy you can probably make those changes yourself, but sometimes it's a lot easier just to pay the extra bucks to get what you need as soon as you flip the power switch to "on." Think about it for a sec...Apple has pretty much built its business on "pay us more, and we'll take care of you." It's the same with custom integrators and Windows.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
chamlin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 260
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 14:10:04 (permalink)
I'm still using my Atari...as a museum piece at least.

Completely sold on custom made systems. I've had 3 generations (decade) of PCs from End Noise PC / Cool Tech up in Washington state. Originally went to them because I was desperate for a QUIET system. (Get the irony of yelling "quiet"?)

But not only did they have mastery over serenity in systems (incredible insulation) but they're all musicians as well and have a line of audio systems. My "silent PC" has been absolutely stable, and the only time I've had any issues have been the times I inserted myself unwisely. (Note to self...)

Luke's great with configurations and Abraham's a great builder. I have no affiliation other than happy customer.
slumbermachine
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 14:21:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/12/08 15:47:37
shmuelyosef
5. If you are going to use a browser, use Chrome...it is the most secure, and least evil. 

Everything you wrote was spot on except this comment. Chrome is really bad. It's not secure, it's government run spyware. Do not use google unless you want to support the NWO. Duckduckgo and firefox are your friend.
post edited by slumbermachine - 2015/12/08 14:33:20
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 14:29:07 (permalink)
Anderton said ""  Apple has pretty much built its business on "pay us more, and we'll take care of you." It's the same with custom inta-grators and Windows ""

Sir Les says:

Yah...I said it before, and I will not say it again...Key Word...Keeps being the Key word.

And we still pay and pray, more and more, and more and more, and more, and still more, to yet more in paying to make more pay to fix...more...and it still goes buggy to, pay for ...Yah... you know, because what Anderton said in the quote. sure is showing signs...paying does not solve or fix anything...but it sure goes on being said it does....eh?.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 14:35:34 (permalink)
Anderton
joden
A solid well spec'd off the shelf unit with later versions of Windows (7, 8.1 or 10) and you are pretty good to go.

Well I'd certainly agree a computer like that can be good to go, but it's not necessarily going to be acoustically treated, have a graphics card that doesn't use a fan, include an overrated power supply so you can run all those UA boards, incorporate enough RAM to stream all your Kontakt instruments from memory, etc. Granted, if you're savvy you can probably make those changes yourself, but sometimes it's a lot easier just to pay the extra bucks to get what you need as soon as you flip the power switch to "on." Think about it for a sec...Apple has pretty much built its business on "pay us more, and we'll take care of you." It's the same with custom integrators and Windows.

hahaha I don't disagree Craig - just saying I think it is all just a tad overblown! Personally I run my system with the "box" in another room...It's a drywall with a hole cut so that cabling goes through the wall to the box. All that is in the studio is monitor and keyboard/mouse. The distance between box and me is only about three feet, but the noise floor is practically zero. 

In regard to specs, well you do write it so that it sounds pretty heavy, but any decent off the shelf (OTS) unit with 8-16gig of ram and an i7 2500+ processor will handle that, and these days those systems are more or less pretty standard and not bespoke -  and further, decent OTS units also have "decent" power supplies and a non-fan GPU can be installed easily. If you want to spend $'s using these guys (or similar) then have at it, all I am saying is it is really not necessary. 

As a footnote, I have read tales of people getting PC's from companies such as this and STILL having a hell of a time with them, things not working, crashing constantly etc etc...all good m8, still love your work, just a friendly disagreement on this one
Anderton
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 17:22:04 (permalink)
Fair enough. If my computer ever dies and I go the "make my own" route, I'll find out what's changed since Vista-64 was in vogue (which is when I got my computer, and it just keeps on going and going...).

joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 17:43:49 (permalink)
Anderton
............................I'll find out what's changed since Vista-64 was in vogue (which is when I got my computer, and it just keeps on going and going...).

Vista 64? So I see you like to keep up with current trends then?! hahaha!
pharohoknaughty
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 18:32:53 (permalink)
shmuelyosef
I, too, have been building my own since the 70s (my first was an Altair 8800 running Microsoft Basic!!) and have actually never bought a 'turnkey' desktop system. In the early 80s some of us at Hewlett-Packard got a version of a MIDI sequencer and Sysex backup going on a few of these. I have had experience with laptops and music and there are a couple of things that are not tweaks, but rather completely mainstream that are important:
1. Don't ever expect good performance with the system load from the vendor with all the advertising, teaser applications, etc. Do a fresh system load from an OEM loader disc...you can use the same Microsoft registration code, if you load up the same system...I have always used the Professional version systems, as there are always a few important capabilities available...mostly around networking/shares
2. Load only what you must....don't put Microsoft Office or Adobe products on the system, as they are ugly culprits. 
3. Disable all auto-updates, but make yourself a schedule of updating. 
4. Learn about page files, and set up yours as static (i.e. not resizeable) using 30-40% of your RAM. 
5. If you are going to use a browser, use Chrome...it is the most secure, and least evil. 
6. For me, audible noise is important, so I have, for the last decade or more, used high-tech internal cooling (i.e. heatpipes or monster heat spreaders with low-speed, variable speed fans of large diameter...these are the quietest and coolest. My Shuttle system puts a lot of stuff in a very small box, but it is silent with some of the lowest disk/CPU temperatures that I have managed to see. 
7. Get familiar with Mike Lin's startup management tools and use them slavishly to get clean system starts. http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
8. Don't use encryption (you would be surprised how many people don't pay attention to this)
9. Don't make your expectation of building your own to be mainly about saving money...make it about getting the absolute best system you can while gaining the knowledge of why it is the way it is...

The list could go on....but these are some of the obvious ones

Be sure to not use encryption on that Fender - Rhodes 73!
Anderton
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 18:48:13 (permalink)
joden
Anderton
............................I'll find out what's changed since Vista-64 was in vogue (which is when I got my computer, and it just keeps on going and going...).

Well, the OS is Windows 7, which I guess isn't much better...I really need to update to 10. But the computer is from that era, and still kicks butt, so...I keep using it.

joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 19:20:03 (permalink)
yeah Craig I agree with that. What I tell people all the time when I am repairing PC's - because they invariably ask if they should upgrade, and I ask them..."does the computer do everything YOU need it to do?" And provided it still all operates within specs? I just tell them to keep it. A PC never goes out of date if it continues to do the jobs required of it!
brianobedia
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 19:35:46 (permalink)
Jon Bryson
Huh, I live in Albuquerque and had no idea there was an office here... have to go check it out and introduce myself.

We're not open to the public, but you're free to be in touch if you're in the area. 
brianobedia
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 19:40:04 (permalink)
joden
Anderton
joden

hahaha I don't disagree Craig - just saying I think it is all just a tad overblown! Personally I run my system with the "box" in another room...It's a drywall with a hole cut so that cabling goes through the wall to the box. All that is in the studio is monitor and keyboard/mouse. The distance between box and me is only about three feet, but the noise floor is practically zero. 

In regard to specs, well you do write it so that it sounds pretty heavy, but any decent off the shelf (OTS) unit with 8-16gig of ram and an i7 2500+ processor will handle that, and these days those systems are more or less pretty standard and not bespoke -  and further, decent OTS units also have "decent" power supplies and a non-fan GPU can be installed easily. If you want to spend $'s using these guys (or similar) then have at it, all I am saying is it is really not necessary. 

As a footnote, I have read tales of people getting PC's from companies such as this and STILL having a hell of a time with them, things not working, crashing constantly etc etc...all good m8, still love your work, just a friendly disagreement on this one

Firstly, off the shelf systems are ok,  but I guarantee we do it better.  Also, try calling Dell for Sonar support.  Please, try it.  Tell me your experience ;) Then, call my team -- and watch the difference.  

AS for "tales" -- we work to make every single customer happy, and it shows in our testimonials (thanks Craig!), and the customers we work with -- thousands of them. 

Self built is ok, but have you tested hundreds of components for hundreds of hours? Can you tell me what motherboard/RAM combo will have the lowest DPC latency numbers?  Can you tell me the highest track count you can get at 192k utilizing different audio interfaces, and different system configs?  That's what we do. That's why we're good at what we do.  That's why people  choose to work with us. 

If you can build your own, great -- but I've had plenty of customers call me for information on what we do, work to mimic it, then call me two months later, with a non-working system, or being unable to get what they need out of their system, out money, time, and work.  Want to get it done fast, and right the first time? Cool, call my team. Don't care to? That's fine. We work with plenty of great people who enjoy what we do. 

Thanks! 

brianobedia
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 19:41:15 (permalink)
Anderton
joden
Anderton

Well, the OS is Windows 7, which I guess isn't much better...I really need to update to 10. But the computer is from that era, and still kicks butt, so...I keep using it.

We can get you to 10 on a separate partition/drive when I'm in Nashville again, if you'd like -- or my team can build you a disk image you could use, too, set you up for dual-boot so you could be able to do testing/work but keep Win7.  
:) 

brianobedia
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 20:19:52 (permalink)
Anderton
joden
Anderton

Also, slightly off topic, did you see my writeup on Win10 that I did for MS for Summer NAMM? Sonar was the DAW of choice for that one :) 
http://pcaudiolabs.com/windows-10-for-pro-audio/

post edited by brianobedia - 2015/12/08 20:31:20
joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 21:27:59 (permalink)
brianobedia
joden
Anderton
joden

Firstly, off the shelf systems are ok,  but I guarantee we do it better.  Also, try calling Dell for Sonar support.  Please, try it.  Tell me your experience ;) Then, call my team -- and watch the difference.  

AS for "tales" -- we work to make every single customer happy, and it shows in our testimonials (thanks Craig!), and the customers we work with -- thousands of them. 

Self built is ok, but have you tested hundreds of components for hundreds of hours? Can you tell me what motherboard/RAM combo will have the lowest DPC latency numbers?  Can you tell me the highest track count you can get at 192k utilizing different audio interfaces, and different system configs?  That's what we do. That's why we're good at what we do.  That's why people  choose to work with us. 

If you can build your own, great -- but I've had plenty of customers call me for information on what we do, work to mimic it, then call me two months later, with a non-working system, or being unable to get what they need out of their system, out money, time, and work.  Want to get it done fast, and right the first time? Cool, call my team. Don't care to? That's fine. We work with plenty of great people who enjoy what we do. 

Thanks! 

Hey guy, no need to take it personally...it's all good
brianobedia
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 22:06:33 (permalink)
joden
brianobedia
joden
Anderton
joden

Thanks! 

Hey guy, no need to take it personally...it's all good

I'm not taking it personally, I assure you ;) It most certainly all "is good" :) 
Anderton
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 22:07:46 (permalink)
I know Brian, he doesn't take it personally - guaranteed. He's just had to dodge too many Mac people telling him PCs are no good for music, and PC owners who say SONAR sucks because it has zillions of dropouts and can run only 3 tracks of audio   And yes, they really do work their butt off. When I bought my machine they asked what programs I ran, and installed and tested every one on the machine to make sure they would work together. They they deleted all traces of the programs so when I installed, there wouldn't be anything left festering in the registry. Companies like PC Audio Labs, Studio Cat, ADK, etc. aren't just companies...they're on a mission to save the world from bad Windows experiences. Most people aren't as technically savvy as many of the people on these forums...you know who they are, they're the ones who say "Yeah, I'm getting 100 tracks and it never crashes." 

It's a good thing Brian doesn't hang out much here, I think some of the people claiming SONAR crashes all the time would drive him up the wall. I can just see him yelling to the walls in a Sam Kinison voice -- "IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!!! NO, YOU CAN'T USE INTERNAL SOUND CARDS FOR AUDIO!!!! JUST BECAUSE MICROSOFT SAYS "2 GB OF RAM" SYSTEM REQUIREMENT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO ANY USEFUL WORK WITH THE COMPUTER!!! NO IT'S NOT A GAMING MACHINE, IT'S A MULTITRACK RECORDER!!!!!!!"

joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 22:18:30 (permalink)
hahahaha fair enough Craig!
brianobedia
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 23:30:19 (permalink)
Anderton
I know Brian, he doesn't take it personally - guaranteed. He's just had to dodge too many Mac people telling him PCs are no good for music, and PC owners who say SONAR sucks because it has zillions of dropouts and can run only 3 tracks of audio   And yes, they really do work their butt off. When I bought my machine they asked what programs I ran, and installed and tested every one on the machine to make sure they would work together. They they deleted all traces of the programs so when I installed, there wouldn't be anything left festering in the registry. Companies like PC Audio Labs, Studio Cat, ADK, etc. aren't just companies...they're on a mission to save the world from bad Windows experiences. Most people aren't as technically savvy as many of the people on these forums...you know who they are, they're the ones who say "Yeah, I'm getting 100 tracks and it never crashes." 

It's a good thing Brian doesn't hang out much here, I think some of the people claiming SONAR crashes all the time would drive him up the wall. I can just see him yelling to the walls in a Sam Kinison voice -- "IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!!! NO, YOU CAN'T USE INTERNAL SOUND CARDS FOR AUDIO!!!! JUST BECAUSE MICROSOFT SAYS "2 GB OF RAM" SYSTEM REQUIREMENT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO ANY USEFUL WORK WITH THE COMPUTER!!! NO IT'S NOT A GAMING MACHINE, IT'S A MULTITRACK RECORDER!!!!!!!"

This is EXACTLY how I've had to be on Gearslutz :P 
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/08 23:47:06 (permalink)
My next system will be built by those with the wisdom to do it correctly.
When I got back into serious songwriting I went thru several "top of the line" Costco systems...
They all sucked... they all went back.  Thank you, Costco...

I spend endless nights compiling the best parts list for power silent DAW tools and spent a wad at Newegg... A friend who owns a local computer shop put it together... was ok... but no cigar.

After a motherboard failure I upgraded to my current 6 core monster (at least, a couple years ago it was!) and have been relatively happy.  But I KNOW it is subpar, and even my rudamentary suggestions weren't followed; it still freaks out periodically and crashes more often than I'd like.  My win10 upgrade actually slowed startups/song loads.  I'm living with it at the moment but I know I should have left it to those who do this with a passion, dedication and understanding most others lack.   Penny wise and pound foolish, especially my latest build...which did NOT go smoothly.

In the next year I'll be turning this maschine, which has served me well, despite the above, into a slave running under VEP... and the new vaster maschine will be built by one of the three experts mentioned in this thread.  If I consider the thousands of head scratching moments and frustrated "WTF"'s I've experienced on my current power system, I was foolish to ask anyone but them to build a system, given my particular circumstances.
post edited by Vastman - 2015/12/08 23:59:35

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
brianobedia
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 00:17:26 (permalink)
Vastman
My next system will be built by those with the wisdom to do it correctly.
When I got back into serious songwriting I went thru several "top of the line" Costco systems...
They all sucked... they all went back.  Thank you, Costco...

I spend endless nights compiling the best parts list for power silent DAW tools and spent a wad at Newegg... A friend who owns a local computer shop put it together... was ok... but no cigar.

After a motherboard failure I upgraded to my current 6 core monster (at least, a couple years ago it was!) and have been relatively happy.  But I KNOW it is subpar, and even my rudamentary suggestions weren't followed; it still freaks out periodically and crashes more often than I'd like.  My win10 upgrade actually slowed startups/song loads.  I'm living with it at the moment but I know I should have left it to those who do this with a passion, dedication and understanding most others lack.   Penny wise and pound foolish, especially my latest build...which did NOT go smoothly.

In the next year I'll be turning this maschine, which has served me well, despite the above, into a slave running under VEP... and the new vaster maschine will be built by one of the three experts mentioned in this thread.  If I consider the thousands of head scratching moments and frustrated "WTF"'s I've experienced on my current power system, I was foolish to ask anyone but them to build a system, given my particular circumstances.

We've been doing a lot of VEP machines lately, they've been a lot of fun to configure. 

joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 00:37:48 (permalink)
brianobedia
Anderton

This is EXACTLY how I've had to be on Gearslutz :P 

haha - yes GS can be that way sometimes (well...most of the time really
pdlstl2
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 00:52:22 (permalink)
I have one of Jim's ProRack machines and have been extremely satisfied with it. Not only with the quality craftmanship using high quality components, but the tremendous aftercare he provides me when I seem hellbent on burning it to the ground! Thanks Jim!!! I even talked a friend into getting one.
brianobedia
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 01:40:24 (permalink)
Support is a big deal; it's one of the most important things you're buying.  That's something we've worked very hard to make a priority, and I know it makes a difference.  

ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 06:51:20 (permalink)
I think a lot of it comes down to how professional your use of the machine is.  e.g. if you run a studio, perhaps as a professional audio engineer then for sure it's worth investing properly in what is your livelihood.

For the home studio / hobbyist level of requirement, I would suggest to build your own machine (or buy a decent barebones one) and buy your own operating system license (at least professional level for Windows variants) rather than buy a machine with an OEM licensed OS pre-installed, in particular to avoid all the ever-expanding bloatware/bundleware guff.  It's mostly all the crap that comes bundled with OEM licensed machines that drag them down.  A lot of it (looking at you, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba!) is also riddled with security holes that you could drive a truck through.  Seriously, if you have any of: Lenovo Solution Center, Dell System Detect, Toshiba Service Station installed, uninstall it toute-suite!

I built and configured my own machine for a modest price and it's more than adequate for my needs (which are far from professional ofc); the most load I put it under is probably multi-tracking my vDrums kit, i.e. recording 8 tracks simultaneously.  It handles that just fine, is very quiet and is rock solid stable.
Wouter Schijns
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 08:54:00 (permalink)
i got lucky with one budget computer, not so much with the one before that.
a dedicated computer, no windows updates/mcaffee/internet connection really helps, at least that's my experience...and agree ofcourse a computer from a specialist is best.
bbach
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 13:57:43 (permalink)
I am guessing that most peoples problems with crashes are, on balance, software conflicts, rather than hardware insufficientsy or failure. Do any of these boutique companies perform optimization on machines that they did not sell? As mentioned on an earlier post, I have a Rain Ion (Xeon) that is a powerful, well appointed custom component machine with 24 gig of ram. I have Sonar Plat. but my DAW has been largely unusable since Sonar X3E. It is my fault that I have failed to continue to work rigorously with tech support to resolve my problems. They have been well intentioned in helping me, but after many phone sessions, Sonar was even less usable. I'm ashamed to admit that, I have run out of time, energy, and patience, and have been procrastinating the revival of my efforts to get things working properly. I would be happy to pay a slightly more than fair price to have someone straighten things out. While Rain was in business, they had excellent tech support and were always able to solve what problems came up. The downside of boutique companies is that they might disappear overnight. If any of you companies would like my business, let me know.
post edited by bbach - 2015/12/09 14:10:24
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 14:19:55 (permalink)
mgh
on the other hand, my £400 Ebay PC is still going fine after 4 years...i did make sure of some of the components (i5-750, fanless 1gb graphics card, Win 7 x64), but the hardware is essentially cheap (MSI mobo, no-name PSU etc). use onboard FW with an Echo Audiofire AI.
i don't do mega-intensive work, but 20 audio tracks, 5 softsynths, 50 FX+ on most projects, no sweat. and it's also an Internet PC, does video-editing, office work....

so you can make music on cheaper gear!

just to say that 2 years later, the same PC is still going fine, it now has Win 10 onboard and 8gb RAM rather than 4 but has never given a moments bother thus far.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1