Helpful ReplyJust Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 18:05:37 (permalink)
We just sent out a machine today that had a hex-core CPU running at 4.4GHz, 128GB RAM, three SSDs that sustain 500+ MB/Sec, two PCIe SSDs that sustain 2500MB/Sec, supports three 4k monitors, all while being super quiet.
This client composes for many video games... and often uses 2500+ notes of simultaneous disk-streaming polyphony from numerous advanced sample libraries.

There's a reason why clients come to us...
We've been in business 20+ years.
I've been a Cakewalk user myself since the forums were on CompuServe.

If you're talking high-performance, I've given numerous examples why a custom machine is the best option.
The harder you push the machine, the more important the details.
ie: Off-the-shelf motherboards don't expose parameters necessary to achieve lowest (most consistent) possible DPC Latency.  It is what it is... a general-purpose machine... tailored for the general-purpose user.
A high-performance machine is optimized from top-to-bottom for high-performance use.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 20:47:29 (permalink)
I'm about ready to make a Great Leap.

How soon can one of you fellas build me one of these? 

I'm saving for next year's BF sale.  What do you think CCLarry? Doable?

Please Santa?

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/537041/ibm-shows-off-a-quantum-computing-chip/

Jesse Q. Screed

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 21:06:31 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
We just sent out a machine today that had a hex-core CPU running at 4.4GHz, 128GB RAM, three SSDs that sustain 500+ MB/Sec, two PCIe SSDs that sustain 2500MB/Sec, supports three 4k monitors, all while being super quiet.
This client composes for many video games... and often uses 2500+ notes of simultaneous disk-streaming polyphony from numerous advanced sample libraries.

There's a reason why clients come to us...
We've been in business 20+ years.
I've been a Cakewalk user myself since the forums were on CompuServe.

If you're talking high-performance, I've given numerous examples why a custom machine is the best option.
The harder you push the machine, the more important the details.
ie: Off-the-shelf motherboards don't expose parameters necessary to achieve lowest (most consistent) possible DPC Latency.  It is what it is... a general-purpose machine... tailored for the general-purpose user.
A high-performance machine is optimized from top-to-bottom for high-performance use.

Price, Jim?  Looks like what I'm saving for going into the new year... although I don't need the 3 4K monitors...Three hd monitors are fine. And will be moving to VEP... Plan to continue using my Forte interface.  While not the best latency (at least with my current setup) I love it's pres...and it suits my needs.
post edited by Vastman - 2015/12/09 21:21:55

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 21:39:36 (permalink)
Since this is an old thread originally, I was using an off the shelf Dell, which was doing OK.  Previously I had a custom built back in the 90's, but spent about $3k and didn' want to go that route.  That said, I bought what is probably a "typical" StudioCat computer about a year ago.  It has totally been rock solid, I NEVER crash with Sonar, just get the updates and roll on.  It has been BY FAR a superior machine, than what I had ever used in the past, and probably to Jim's specs...isn't all the glamorous anymore.  But it's great.

Any rate...just reading some of my old comments back in 2013, I felt the need to update my opinions on this thread.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

mixmkr
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 21:42:08 (permalink)
btw...off on a rabbit trail, I thought I'd upgrade from 16 gigs of RAM, but looked at my RAM/performance/memory  meter during my heaviest sessions...  it's barely grunting.  I guess I'll save some Christmas money.

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

javiercorre
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 21:44:46 (permalink)
I think its better to build your own PC, that way you have complete control over your build and if you ever need to replace hardware now you know how, is not hard as some people may think. Also its a lot cheaper and you learn something new.
mixmkr
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/09 21:50:15 (permalink)
I thought that too, but after pricing parts, I wasn't really saving over a purchased StudioCat.  Plus a couple of extra phone calls with Jim more than made up any price differences.  Plus, I'm sure StudioCat would put in whatever you want, unless they thought it to be junk.  Yeah...I opened it up...actually swapped out my C drive and was a piece of cake, getting all my "stuff" back on the C drive...thanks to the Acronis .tib file that Jim had installed on one of my audio drives.  Yeah...probably save $100, as a guess, but had I got bad RAM, CPU, etc..   eh...I would have to send it back to Newegg or whoever.... or figure out that was the problem.  His pricing isn't really more than buying from a parts online dealer.  I imagine he gets better pricing(wholesale), so he can be competitive, as I do in my own self employment business.
post edited by mixmkr - 2015/12/09 22:05:44

Jim Roseberry
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/10 12:03:07 (permalink)
Vastman
Price, Jim?  Looks like what I'm saving for going into the new year... although I don't need the 3 4K monitors...Three hd monitors are fine. And will be moving to VEP... Plan to continue using my Forte interface.  While not the best latency (at least with my current setup) I love it's pres...and it suits my needs.

In the extreme example I gave, the SSDs alone cost more than most DAWs.  
post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2015/12/10 12:14:45

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/10 12:28:11 (permalink)
haha yes it was an extreme example...but still not out of the reach of folks with a reasonable amount of "nous" (not to mention a big fat wad of cash!!!)  and I mean it's not like you guys actually MAKE any of this gear, you buy it just the same as everyone. But for those that meet that criteria and are a tad lazy...well lazy needs to be paid for somehow hey
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/10 15:09:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby javiercorre 2015/12/11 00:19:09
javiercorre
I think its better to build your own PC, that way you have complete control over your build and if you ever need to replace hardware now you know how, is not hard as some people may think. Also its a lot cheaper and you learn something new.

I tend to lean this way as well. Understanding that you also own the headaches if they happen. I have been very fortunate. It really isn't rocket science. I also realize that some people have neither the interest or the inclination to attempt something like that. My background fits right in with this type of thing, so I never looked back in building my own system. I don't begrudge anyone in business building computers. I think there are lots of folks here who don't want to "look under the hood". And these are the people who they can depend on to buy computers.

I believe that in some cases certain individuals don't give themselves the benefit of the doubt. Anyone with expertise in using tools and who can grasp basic instructions can build their own computer. On the software end of things, computers are powerful enough now that a person could omit a few of those tweaks made by builders and not ever notice a problem. I could be wrong but I highly doubt that any of these system builders are hacking into windows at the kernel level. They are doing the same things you can do by simply finding the information you need online. Keep that second computer handy for surfing to find answers. the answers are out there.

Concerning hardware. No builder is buying anything you can't find at a good supplier. Simply research your hardware, buy something with at least a years good run. 

OTOH if you have a short attention span and become frustrated when it doesn't work the first time, I recommend you don't even attempt it.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jim Roseberry
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/10 15:49:09 (permalink)
joden
haha yes it was an extreme example...but still not out of the reach of folks with a reasonable amount of "nous" (not to mention a big fat wad of cash!!!)  and I mean it's not like you guys actually MAKE any of this gear, you buy it just the same as everyone. But for those that meet that criteria and are a tad lazy...well lazy needs to be paid for somehow hey

It's not simply bolting parts together...
It's about knowing which components work best for a particular purpose... and how best to configure the "whole".
Random hodgepodge of components doesn't work for high-performance scenarios/expectations.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/10 17:10:21 (permalink)
Of course Jim...not suggesting otherwise, and I was giving a simplistic overview to not bog it down too much with specifics but as the poster above you said anyone who has a bit a researching skill and patience can do the same (or at least very close to) job. It really is not rocket science or some arcane art.

I daresay most of your "build" procedure comes from many years of experience...the same goes for those folks interested enough in this side of things with the same level of experience.

Dennis
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 01:48:35 (permalink)
I just watched a recent episode of "South Park". I couldn't help but think of this thread.

It's true... The Ads have taken human form. And the scary thing is, I don't believe they are even aware of it.
I mean, don't we all want to be better?

I probably should not hit Submit
Starise
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 08:26:02 (permalink)
mixmkr
Since this is an old thread originally, I was using an off the shelf Dell, which was doing OK.  Previously I had a custom built back in the 90's, but spent about $3k and didn' want to go that route.  That said, I bought what is probably a "typical" StudioCat computer about a year ago.  It has totally been rock solid, I NEVER crash with Sonar, just get the updates and roll on.  It has been BY FAR a superior machine, than what I had ever used in the past, and probably to Jim's specs...isn't all the glamorous anymore.  But it's great.

Any rate...just reading some of my old comments back in 2013, I felt the need to update my opinions on this thread.

I read comments like this often when users comment on buying a custom built PC and I think it shows why users return to these builders and why they highly recommend them. Comments like "rock solid". I've never bought a pre build specifically for audio, but "specifically for audio" is basically a machine with no boatware, a fresh OS install,  using high quality components, that has whatever audio interface you use adjusted to the best latency and resolution.It also has anything that would conflict with audio either disabled or removed and any services that are running in the background and can safely be disabled are. Configuring a computer for audio can take about 10 minutes for a person who knows how to do it...so these computers really aren't extremely different.

I don't think this is an edge since with my last three builds...one of which was an AMD system  were also very stable and "rock solid" with no major software conflicts even with one build that wasn't totally maxed for audio.

My built machines and computers "maxed for audio" are really no different. Some builders might try to say that their hardware is better or that they have a better combination of parts. I'm sure they do use great hardware, but it isn't specific or only available to them.
post edited by Starise - 2015/12/11 08:38:15

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Base 57
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 08:47:44 (permalink)
Yes. And the guy who "wrote the book" for half the music related hardware and software over the last 25 years could build his own PC; with one eye closed and a hand tied behind his back. It would be fast. It would be stable. But it wouldn't be free.

I respect him tremendously. I have learned a lot from his many books and articles. But this thread is not a story. It is an ad (Sponsored Content). I might have to re-read the CoC but I am pretty sure it is against the rules.
joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 11:43:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/12/11 16:02:12
Sorry Base 57 - I disagree. The thread is well within the scope of a correct discussion. It is only the pros and cons of using services like these that are being discussed. AFAICS there is NO touting for business going on at all.

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 12:08:01 (permalink)
Base 57
But this thread is not a story. It is an ad (Sponsored Content). I might have to re-read the CoC but I am pretty sure it is against the rules.

That's ridiculous.

The second sentence in my first post was: "Of course PCAL isn't the only game in town - Jim Roseberry and Scott over at ADK also have the recipe down - but PCAL went outside of their comfort zone several years ago to make me a laptop that was optimized for video production, and I've been using their gear ever since."

I write non-fiction, so I write about what I know. If I was using an ADK or Studio Cat computer, I would have mentioned that instead to get my point across about what I feel are the advantages of using computers integrated specifically for musical applications.

I also explained why I use PCAL - they worked with me to create a video system that other companies weren't offering at the time. In fact they were reluctant to do it because they felt they didn't have expertise in that field, but they did it anyway. Companies that go above and beyond the call of duty get repeat business from me. (I've owned two cars in my life. My first was a 66 VW Beetle I bought used for $450. I put 235,000 miles on it. When it became impossible to buy parts for it anymore, I figured I owed VW some customer loyalty so my second car was a 2000 Beetle, which I'm still driving.)

Furthermore, the thread accomplished what I wanted - a discussion about using computers integrated for music, and hopefully, the people on this forum who have consistent computer problems would realize there are ways to have a much smoother experience if you don't have the time, inclination, or knowledge to build your own machine. I really don't understand how anyone could have a problem with that...but then again, there are many things about humanoid bipeds I don't fully understand

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Base 57
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 12:28:22 (permalink)
I don't disagree that audio optimized computers are the best way to run sonar. My machine was custom built by a local company and I love it. Suggestions for making optimizations on our current or future computers are greatly appreciated.
 However you did endorse a specific company. Then a representative of that company joined the thread and promoted his company and products.
 It is waddling and quacking, I'm pretty sure it's a 66 Beetle (turbo diesel).
Base 57
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 12:46:41 (permalink)
I can't believe I am annoying the man who wrote the manual for my DPM-3. I need sysex files for it. The disk drive is dead.
I'm sorry.
I take it all back.

Anderton
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 12:55:19 (permalink)
Base 57
However you did endorse a specific company.

No. I recommended/endorsed three companies in the first post, and related my experiences with one of them - the one with which I had the most experience (remember, I write non-fiction) - to prove my point. 

Then a representative of that company joined the thread and promoted his company and products.
 It is waddling and quacking, I'm pretty sure it's a 66 Beetle (turbo diesel).

And Jim Roseberry responded in post #91 with what you might consider promoting his company and products, but I consider adding his (considerable and quite formidable) expertise to the thread. A lot of people don't know the lengths these companies go to in order to create specialized computers. I have no problem with them explaining the facts of what they do, why they do it, and the results they try to accomplish. 

Conspiracy theories may be entertaining, but education is useful.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
joden
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 13:33:34 (permalink)
Anderton
....................And Jim Roseberry responded in post #91 with what you might consider promoting his company and products, but I consider adding his (considerable and quite formidable) expertise to the thread. A lot of people don't know the lengths these companies go to in order to create specialized computers. I have no problem with them explaining the facts of what they do, why they do it, and the results they try to accomplish. 

Conspiracy theories may be entertaining, but education is useful.

Absolutely! Even though I am one who espouses users try to do their own thing, I respect and appreciate folks like JR who take the time to post. There are often little pearls of wisdom (that not even they are aware of ) if you open your mind and comprehend what is being said. So for another shameful plug - from personal experience Jim Roseberry also happens to produce some really REALLY good VST drum kits! 
Starise
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 14:00:39 (permalink)
Anderton
Base 57
But this thread is not a story. It is an ad (Sponsored Content). I might have to re-read the CoC but I am pretty sure it is against the rules.

Furthermore, the thread accomplished what I wanted - a discussion about using computers integrated for music, and hopefully, the people on this forum who have consistent computer problems would realize there are ways to have a much smoother experience if you don't have the time, inclination, or knowledge to build your own machine. I really don't understand how anyone could have a problem with that...but then again, there are many things about humanoid bipeds I don't fully understand

I certainly don't have a problem with any of that and I think this raises a good point. There are probably a large percentage of folks who come to these threads with Sonar loaded on a computer that is under powered for what they're trying to do with it.

I actually had a computer in  one of the vendors mentioned  online cart, but decided I would rather roll my own. I wish all of them well.

These guys aren't getting rich doing this ..You  become the mother hen forever. I don't envy these guys. I think they offer a valuable service to the people who don't want the hassle.

One thing that could maybe be improved with respect to deciding on a computer to use for recording work is a multi tiered spec based on what the user is trying to do. Maybe more education on how to disable onboard sound select drivers...that kind of thing. Cakewalk has put some info out there already.

Far too many new users look at only the cost of Sonar since they already have a computer and I think the view should be threefold. Sonar/interface/computer all in one big package. Looking at only one or two of those and ignoring the others is asking for problems. OTOH if Cakewalk comes out and says that our software will only work for large projects on 50% or less of the consumer computers out there, this wouldn't turn out very well. So the buyer realizes sooner or later that they need another computer if they happen to fall into that category. They then either opt to build their own, buy a more high powered prebuilt or look up one of the companies above.

post edited by Starise - 2015/12/11 14:16:09

Twitter @Rodein

Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 15:26:04 (permalink)

I think too much education, and doing some of it, as bent science...Is where the Earth blows up by Nuclear fiddling...

But, Let us say...why do we need rocket science secrets, in PC land?....to make a PC work (they hide the formula...and if so..Only to gain profits?.....
Why does Sonar sell a windows based software application, saying "system requirements are x,y,z" for it to run...and best requirements are listed after as WKRP...Yet do not disclose that this will not work completely unless bought from ...Builder W>T>C ..///for a very nice price...of do not remove sticker, or open the box to add in or upon...if done it voids the warranty of all Licences, and agreements there in or on, or upon buying....and charges can apply for fixing....endlessly?,,,sure!

Now updates and upgrades, can be used against that warranty, and lay the user and buyer into a hole, that never resolves if let to happen...or done by, to cause faults.......MS updates if it Screws the light bulb in too tight, oe does a bad thing to the OS, or causes something to be corrupted.... to cause the cpu to hickup, and spiking issues with X cards or HDMI sound implimentation, and the HD Drives to thrash.. causing more issues....

And Sonar never does due dillegance to solve..or help resolve..Yet Promotes builders of Choice...be it one or three...or more....It is not on the box.!!

Just got more updates for win 10...hmmm...I guess they are still fixing, breaking things....And it continue to go on, and on....Turn off defender, and all redundant gear....is suppose to work...until they make it not work.

I Guess is the game...?

Oh El Capitan has issues also, with some audio devices..Nice to know Apple is still charging for tech support?...wonder why no more!...and they just made a update also....interesting eh?.

Stay tune in for more mayhem, at a cost list price!...and secret secrets to keep it so....is supposed to be in the manual to make Sonar Work with PC and OS.

Eh?

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 15:50:35 (permalink)
Sir Les

I think too much education, and doing some of it, as bent science...Is where the Earth blows up by Nuclear fiddling...

But, Let us say...why do we need rocket science secrets, in PC land?....to make a PC work (they hide the formula...and if so..Only to gain profits?.....
Why does Sonar sell a windows based software application, saying "system requirements are x,y,z" for it to run...and best requirements are listed after as WKRP...Yet do not disclose that this will not work completely unless bought from ...Builder W>T>C ..///for a very nice price...of do not remove sticker, or open the box to add in or upon...if done it voids the warranty of all Licences, and agreements there in or on, or upon buying....and charges can apply for fixing....endlessly?,,,sure!

Now updates and upgrades, can be used against that warranty, and lay the user and buyer into a hole, that never resolves if let to happen...or done by, to cause faults.......MS updates if it Screws the light bulb in too tight, oe does a bad thing to the OS, or causes something to be corrupted.... to cause the cpu to hickup, and spiking issues with X cards or HDMI sound implimentation, and the HD Drives to thrash.. causing more issues....

And Sonar never does due dillegance to solve..or help resolve..Yet Promotes builders of Choice...be it one or three...or more....It is not on the box.!!

Just got more updates for win 10...hmmm...I guess they are still fixing, breaking things....And it continue to go on, and on....Turn off defender, and all redundant gear....is suppose to work...until they make it not work.

I Guess is the game...?

Oh El Capitan has issues also, with some audio devices..Nice to know Apple is still charging for tech support?...wonder why no more!...and they just made a update also....interesting eh?.

Stay tune in for more mayhem, at a cost list price!...and secret secrets to keep it so....is supposed to be in the manual to make Sonar Work with PC and OS.

Eh?

not quite sure of your point here? Anyone who sells software for Windows is aware of the almost infinite number of posibilities for different software/hardware combos. This makes universal compatibility almost impossible. so by providing monthly updates/fixes they are trying their damndest to correct those little foibles.
as you say even in the closed hardware world of Apple they are having lots of issues too. it's just the nature of complex software.
at least CW listen and respond to their customers -for free!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 16:16:06 (permalink)
Sir LesOh El Capitan has issues also, with some audio devices

It would be more accurate to say that some audio device manufacturers left it until after El Capitan was released to start thinking about producing drivers that work with it. Despite preview releases of El Cap being around for months beforehand. I got bitten by MOTU's Yosemite driver sending El Cap into a flat spin. Yet MOTU had a working beta driver out within a week - what was it that prevented them doing in the months before El Cap's release what they did in the days after release?

If you want to buy an off-the-shelf computer for audio or video work then to be as certain there'll be as few problems as possible that means buying from either Apple or someone like Jim R (or a similar specialist PC builder). Or, if you're prepared to be your own quality checker and hardware tester build a PC yourself.

A consumer/gaming PC might be configurable as a good DAW or it might not - the problem Microsoft has been heroically struggling against right back to NT3.5 is that PCs are generally put together out of a disparate bunch of parts and then require the BIOS to be configured correctly, drivers to be optimal, cooling, power saving and core parking tackled etc. Which means researching lots of things before you buy anything.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Sir Les
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 18:47:53 (permalink)
mgh
Sir Les

I Guess is the game...?

Eh?

not quite sure of your point here? Anyone who sells software for Windows is aware of the almost infinite number of posibilities for different software/hardware combos. This makes universal compatibility almost impossible. so by providing monthly updates/fixes they are trying their damndest to correct those little foibles.
as you say even in the closed hardware world of Apple they are having lots of issues too. it's just the nature of complex software.
at least CW listen and respond to their customers -for free!

Yes they are...Yet on this post...someone claims the Builders have the secret.....So I play along....And wink.

There is never going to be a solution until CW make their own OS...and hardware...Like Avid?...

Well speak to Korg...They put a midi and audio sequencer into a keyboard running Linux?...or something liken...just to do the job...with SSDs....and can use usb...and surely other developments.

Why base a app that has so much good intensions kind of working, on something so open to mayhem?....Well...answer the question?....I already did....MONEY!

And if we make life about money, and more moe money...Then we weigh it all down to a very heavy weight.of burden..And if it is to high a price...many die and suffer more...causing more crime and upheavals in the bent system...then Poor people are born...more so, that cannot have....and the can nots should not exceed the ones who do have in numbers...And they have a lot of em now!...But still they do not share, nor give...or are kind, as they raise the cost and the tax and reajust the counting systems so no one can count right or wrong on it....and sacrifices made for it.

.....If war is attached to the third hand, and fourth, that is asking it be under such a system, or born into....And all tied up not doing any sowing of seeds, or tending to the living, or making sure the air and water and soils stay in some form of heathy state of continuance........Got em all  misdirected, and turned aways....on the Box, in some other employment, or diverted into a business polluting it, and lying about the products sold...to sell a pig in a poe....and frustrated consumers+.loss of time.......to make the mind snap...or twist...or contaminate with lies....and it is being fixed?....while dragged along...trying...with faith for..but never perfect...or caused to break down...or just breaking down with the limit set.

On the box when bought it says...Works with, this ...And it does for some, for a while, or to one extent or another, but not fully...and then it does not do the deed......and the game is a foot...or a Qubit?

And when that counting is done..at the end of the day......Does one.1..1 really add up to 1?....

That is just another thing to think about....what is a lie?...and what is a liar?.....

Claims, licence agreements, and oath?.....or Promise?...

Yah make excuses why it does not work?....I already established that as being so, as it is others causing it!.....is that the pun for fun in this?....

So if the builders have solutions that are held secret secret...and they sell to run software of audio...and audio is being hampered by something with many....(Not just CW or PC)....Then how is it solved for, so it is good, honest and loyal to its oath?.

Here is where I seek the cause....the root...the finite end to the mayhem....

Perhaps our efforts are hampered by a higher truth.

That is what I now cling to....Lies do not prevail....SO be honest, and keep on....but hay..it now cost too much to even turn on the damn thing, just to troubleshoot it.

Might as well move on to other things...and make music without the recorder...scribe thingy...

Works for so many who do not buy this stuff....

I guess it can continue....if we keep our heads learnt how to do that ourselves...costing nothing but to do.

Just saying.

So something has to give it up!....secrets?...perhaps...truth...Perhaps...

cheers.

post edited by Sir Les - 2015/12/11 19:08:33

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Anderton
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/11 21:21:32 (permalink)
Some car owners change their own oil. Some car owners pay someone to change it for them. If the person you paid strips the threads on the screws holding the filter in place, it's their problem. If you strip the threads, it's your problem.

hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: Just Got Reminded Why I Use Computers Integrated for Music 2015/12/12 10:19:35 (permalink)
Complaining about people who have done work and research to streamline both product and process in their line of business is just bad form. Besides, people like Jim and Scott, do share their knowledge on this forum ...they just don't give away the farm.

There are a lot of tweaks that are out there to be found that are shared. 

I build my own DAW. I enjoy assembling a machine and configuring it, but I have been in IT a while. If I didn't feel confident I was in the ballpark of a optimized rock solid DAW, I wouldn't hesitate to have one built. But there were a lot of failures in the early stages. There are a LOT of variables! That, and I don't buy cheap parts!

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1