Keep The Motor Running - redux

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
2012/07/06 14:22:23 (permalink)

Keep The Motor Running - redux

Hi to all my forum friends.  I submitted this song earlier this year and got enormous help from all of you in the production of this tune.  I made numerous changes based on your suggestions and then shelved the song until just the other day.  I made three changes in this last mix that I hope will help.  I scooped out some of the mid-lows in the bass drum and guitar so they would sit well in the mix without being too boomy.  I also added a short delay to the vocal harmony while leaving the lead vocal dry to give the vocals some depth.  My question about that is-does it make the vocals sound too much like they're in a different space, or does it work for you?

I hope to make this the lead off song on my next CD, so it's important that I get this right.  However, this will be the last time I put this song up because I'm pretty sure people will start getting tired of it.  You've all been tremendously helpful, and I hope you can help me one more time with this.  Thanks in advance for all the help I've received and all the help that is coming.

It can be found here: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10399684&q=hi&newref=1

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400

48 Replies Related Threads

Rikkie
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/06 14:43:07 (permalink)
    Hi Lynn, vocals sound excellent to me. The acoustic guitar sounds very thin to me, almost if it's just pick noise, since it's only on one side I thought one of my speakers had given the ghost ; )  Nice tune, good luck with the cd.

Rik
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/06 18:14:31 (permalink)
    This was a great song and I just loved the lyrics. They tell a story for sure, almost sounds like they were Obama inspired, with all the unemployment and such. You spoke about 30 years down the drain, wait until its 50 years down the drain! I'd love to hear that song. Totall awesome guitar and background instrumentation on this. Really enjoyed this one. Peace be with you. Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/06 18:29:48 (permalink)

Hi Lynn I like this tune , it sounds alittle thin but maybe thats what you were aiming for . Oh a nice sounding weedeater would really sound cool at the beginning . LOL just busting your motor buddy !

Nice one !
    James
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/06 21:16:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for your quick responses.
    Rikkie, this is what I'm looking for.  I just added a touch of tube distortion in Pro Channel and the gloss from the EQ, and it gave the acoustic more body than before.  Plus, I turned the track up a notch to balance it against the electric gtr.  Good catch.  

John, this is actually a semi-autobiographical song of the last 18 months of my life.  It was merely an accident of ordinary human nature.  Fortunately, I made it long enough to get a pension, so I've been a little more fortunate than many.

James, I knew I could count on your good ears.  I want this song to be a bit more jingly-jangly than others in my collection.  It depends on the next song, of course.  The second song has to have some contrast, yet have a common thread.  I used the "Generic Magic Lift" preset from Vintage Channel VC-64 on my acoustic, and, as I said to Rikkie, added the Pro Channel to give it some body.

Already the benefits of your help is paying off.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/06 22:04:56 (permalink)
    Yeah I don't remember this one, but I think it's one of the better one's I've heard from you. People tell me to keep the motor running? But it's usually when my truck is in the garage :-(
    HiddenMaster
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/06 22:51:35 (permalink)
    Sounding good lynn , real nice growl off that dirty guitar , groovy bass line , nice pan split ...

i7 12gHz 8gb RAM / Sonar X1 Producer / Motu 896MK3H / ESP / Ibanez / ADA Preamps / Mesa Boogie poweramps / Korg Triton keys / Addictive Drums /
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/07 01:28:16 (permalink)
    The Band 19, aka Robby R.  LOL  I seriously doubt it, though.  Many thanks for taking the time.

Hidden Master, I appreciate the kind words, and I think I can now tell you...I love your avatar.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/07 09:01:16 (permalink)
    Hey Lynn, I missed this one first time around, but glad I caught it now - what a fine song, and a terrific mix. Got the headphones on, and I can follow every instrument, really nice work. Love that bass line. I like the way you have the lead and acoustic guitars panned too, just right. Vocals fit perfectly to my ears. Nope, can't find nuffin wrong with this...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/07 12:17:17 (permalink)
    Thank you very much, James.  Coming from you that's a high compliment.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/07 13:00:22 (permalink)
    Hi Lynn,

Good song and playing on this all around. Mix sounds pretty solid and everything is audible...which is a good thing. Everything else is subjective when you get things to this point. If I may...a few subjective things that *I* might try.

The acoustic is indeed a bit thin...but only because it's by itself on the left. You know sometimes how we layer heavy guitars and put acoustics behind them to give things a bit of a percussive attack? This would be the perfect sound in that situation...but because you have one dirty on one side and that acoustic on the other, you can definitely add more mids to the acoustic to give it more identity as well as over-all thickness. I'd give try mids in the 600-800 range to thicken it up a bit. It's good you don't have that nasty low end I hear in a lot of acoustic guitar prints these days. The mids should curb the thin sound as well as soften the high end sparkle automatically. Try not to alter that high end...it cuts through nice to me and is only a little bit abrasive due to the mids being nearly gone in that sound.

The only other thing I'd like to hear, is a bit more high end in the snare drum from say 5-8k. When the snare hits in that part on its own, it sounds fine...but when the music comes back in, it sound a little dark to me to where it could use just a slight presence bump so that it has a bit more identity.

That's about it though...solid mix, like the bass and the performance was really what I was impressed with the most. That dirty guitar tone is great...make sure you save that baby for future use...warm yet it has the right amount of presence/top end in a good way. For some reason, this song reminded me a bit of the theme song to True Blood the HBO series...not sure why...maybe it was the vocal or something in the melody, but it reminded me of that sort of vibe. That's meant to be a compliment. :) Really nice job on this. I too missed it the first time around but I'm glad I got to hear it this time. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/07 13:21:59 (permalink)
    Excellent Job Lynn!!

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/07 13:42:31 (permalink)
    Danny, thanks for your comments which I totally agree with.  As I stated above, I already made changes to the acoustic to give it more body while preserving the high end sparkle.  I've not posted yet, but it already makes a big difference.  As for the snare drum, I will try that and let you know how it turns out.  I appreciate you lending your ears to this project, as you hear details that few others can.

Tony, I have so much respect for you that this is indeed high praise.  Thank you for being a coproducer.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/08 15:55:40 (permalink)
    Hey Lynn,

Man, you've really got that Steve Miller thing down and it sounds good -- catchy, good vocals, dynamics, etc. 
    My only nit crit is that in some places the drums lack the necessary punch and flow.  Your usual great job, Lynn.

Allan
    www.youtube.com/user/Kittibutt

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/08 16:41:37 (permalink)
    great indie rock song Lynn, i hope this will indeed make you a little money! no crits on the mix from me, it's a lesson in balance indeed...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/08 18:34:34 (permalink)
    Allan, thanks for taking the time to listen and respond.  I'll take a listen to those drums with a critical ear.  This is what I'm looking for.

mgh, thank you so much.  It's always good to strike a chord with you.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/08 22:06:05 (permalink)
    I really like this! Sounds great!....
     ....with a couple of small exceptions. As said before, the acoustic needs to be brought toward the center more and fattened up.  I think the snare could use more snare sound. It seems to "Poppy" to me, but again, that is subjective.

String Jammer
    ABeautifulVirus
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/08 22:53:57 (permalink)
    not only is this GREAT but it's so 2012 in its political and sociological commentary on life in this wicked economy.  the mix is excellent; i love the panned electric guitar on right and acoustic strumming on left.  the vocals 'sit' nicely.  you have a keen sense of balance and aural space.  most def could hear this on the radio w/ the car top down and just cruising along on a summer afternoon.  A+ 
    post edited by ABeautifulVirus - 2012/07/08 22:55:24
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/08 23:15:05 (permalink)
    Scott, thank you for your kind words.  I have already addressed those issues, and all of you that pointed that out to me deserve all the credit in the world.

Daren, or ABV, I'm so glad you hear it that way.  As I said above, this really happened to me, but the weird thing is that I wrote the song two weeks before I lost my job of 30 years.  The unwritten part of the song is-I made it to my pension just in the nick of time.  HEY, maybe that ought to be a song.  

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

ABeautifulVirus
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 00:54:23 (permalink)
    wow i'm sorry to hear about your job loss...that truly sux...it's a scary world out there at present.  & yes i think a 'Part II' might be in line perhaps even as a complete new opus or as complementary piece which could be a nice touch in album sequencing :) 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 18:39:10 (permalink)
    Wow, Lynn: this is a first for me!

"Keep the motor running"

This is my fav of yours, currently.

Honestly, this works wonderfully for me on all levels, AS IS! 

(My only personal minor gripe is that its slightly over 4 minutes ... the message hook is so strong that it catches me quickly the 1st 2 minutes and doesn't need to go overboard to 4 minutes, IMHO.)

Perfect performances, perfect balance, perfect message/hook, etc.
    Just pure awesomeness man!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 19:34:02 (permalink)
    Philip, thank you for your kind words.  Perhaps if I went directly to the first verse instead of the chorus it would shorten the song.  I never thought of that approach, but one to consider.  That's why I put my songs up here, because there are so many talented producers and ears that see things that I overlook.  BTW, I've already said it, but I'll say it again, your latest song is a gem.  Thanks for helping me.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 20:21:51 (permalink)
    Hey Lynn, sorry I haven't got around listening to this.

It's actually really good, I can't think who it reminds me of, I can hear a specific band it reminds me of.

Like the lyrics, they have that excellent all round meaning that everyone can relate too.  Like that quirky delay sound at the end, which creates the motor sound.

Ok the mix is excellent, the acoustic is a little thin as some have mentioned but in the overall mix it works and can be heard through the whole track.  So I'm nitpicking.

My biggest complaint is the snare, it's way too boxy.  Try Danny's sugestion or and cut at the 400hz-600hz mark, this will hopefully get rid of that boxy sound.

Nice work though, catchy tune.  The vocal sound was spot on too.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 21:13:39 (permalink)
    Other than I thought the vocals could use a littl more high end to contrast with the instruments... but this song kicks butt, it's got all the elements I like.  The lead break on the guitar could use a little more punch because it rocks.

Damn cool tune!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 21:31:07 (permalink)
    Hi Ben, thanks for listening.  Though I haven't posted it, yet, I have addressed the snare drum to make if a little more crisp.  I wanted to make sure that it wasn't too thin.

Daryl, I'll pay attention to the vocal EQ.  Contrast is always my goal, so I'm glad you lent your ears to this because this is what I'm looking for from my forum friends.  It always helps me to listen to one of your songs to get my ears adjusted.

Thanks for adding your names to my long list of coproducers.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 22:20:39 (permalink)
     Don't recall hearing this one before. I like this version. You have a nice voice and it fits well here.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 22:31:16 (permalink)
    Jeez, we need to get together. Steve Miller, for sure.

I really liked the acoustic, indie folk rock in this tune but it still had a pop melody; which I think is cool.

I felt like the pick attack and the hats slightly clashed with each other; but I couldn't even begin to offer how to fix that; if you heard it.

Good tune my friend.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    Lynn
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/09 23:00:26 (permalink)
    Starise, your comments please me very much.  Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond.

Joshua, it is time.  I believe that I still have your e-mails from earlier, and my computer woes are over so I'm ready.  I'll get in touch.  And, thank you for your kind words.  I'll listen to the hi hat vs. acoustic and take that into consideration on my next pass.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/10 07:31:56 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me Lynn. The harm fits nice. Nice tune.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Keep The Motor Running - redux 2012/07/11 04:40:47 (permalink)
    Hey, Lynn,

Excellent song with top notch songwriting, dynamite vocals and harmonies, great playing, and a nice, well balanced, crisp mix!

Really stellar job, buddy!
    Bob
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1