Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2011/09/21 22:41:02 (permalink)

Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels

Sometimes I find myself wanting to split a drum track into separate MIDI channels, so that I can automate toms, hats, cymbals, etc. independently of the other drums. 

In Kontakt, the way I currently do this is:

1) Sonar: move desired drums (e.g., toms) to separate MIDI track
2) Sonar: set new MIDI track to channel 2 (or some other unused channel)
3) Kontakt: add another copy of the drum kit to the Kontakt instance. 
4) Kontakt: make sure the new kit is listening to the new MIDI channel

NOTE: For step 3, if I had tweaked the original kit, then I need to save it first and then add a copy of the saved kit.  Otherwise, I can just find the preset again and add it.

At this point, I can automate the new MIDI track independently of the other drums. 

If I want to have separate audio effects, I need to take some more steps:

5) Kontakt: set new kit's output to new audio channels
6) Sonar: create a new audio track
7) Sonar: set new audio track's input to Kontakt's new audio channels

That's a lot of steps.  I'm wondering if there's a way to make it easier.

Suggestions?

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

12 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/21 23:09:09 (permalink)
    There is a cal routine for that. Split Notes to tracks.cal is the one I am thinking about.

Best
    John
    Tripecac
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/21 23:27:26 (permalink)
    John, no offense, but sometimes it seems like you post without really trying to understand people's questions.  It's great that you make efforts to help people quickly, but sometimes in your haste [perhaps to up your karma and/or post count] you step on a few toes.

Split Note to Tracks.cal won't help with creating separate instruments within Kontakt or setting up the audio tracks, correct?  So of the 7 steps I listed, your answer only addresses the 1st and maybe 2nd step.  What about the other 5?

tripecac.com
    Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/21 23:39:47 (permalink)
    Tripecac

John, no offense, but sometimes it seems like you post without really trying to understand people's questions.  It's great that you make efforts to help people quickly, but sometimes in your haste [perhaps to up your karma and/or post count] you step on a few toes.

Split Note to Tracks.cal won't help with creating separate instruments within Kontakt or setting up the audio tracks, correct?  So of the 7 steps I listed, your answer only addresses the 1st and maybe 2nd step.  What about the other 5?

A drum module relies on the fact that in MIDI each note is a different sound for drum tracks. Its treated in a different way to other MIDI. A normal MIDI track changes pitch only and not the sound. You are asking for an easy way to disregard the way MIDI works. In Battery this sort of thing is handled within the plugin. Each cell representing a drum can have its own FX. Kontakt is not a drum module for MIDI even though it has drums. In other words this is done all the time with a VST like Battery 3. Not an easy task in Kontakt. The split note to track cal would let you have multiple modules for your drums in Kontakt that you can then treat with individual FX. Thats why I informed you about that cal.  

Best
    John
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/21 23:42:32 (permalink)
    Isn't there a Konkakt or Battery Track Template out there?

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/21 23:52:52 (permalink)
    You want to use the "Split notes to tracks" cal file.

First, clone the drum track and archive the original. You can hide it if you like. It's a good idea to archive it so you can always go back to the original if you have to.

Next, select the drum track and goto: Process/run cal. (make sure you know the number of the track and what that track is output to. ie: 3 kontakt.

The first dialog put in the number for the drum track you want to split. I usually move mine to the last track to make it easier.

The next dialog is the first destination track. The next track after the track you wanted to split if you moved it to the last track.

Next, select the midi channel. It is already set to 10 so I just leave it there.

Next, select the destination port. That is the number that is output to Kontakt. ie: 3 kontakt or whatever it is.

Now each drum will be on it's own track and you can control each individual volume.

Someone here has a cal file that will split the notes and give each note name of the drum. The original cal will give you the note names but the cal I type of will give what drum it is according to standard general midi drums. I have that cal. PM me if you would like it.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    ltb
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2707
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/22 00:03:02 (permalink)
    Put all the tracks in a folder then export it to a track template. Then you only need to drag it or import it into your project.
    Tripecac
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/22 00:24:35 (permalink)
    Now each drum will be on it's own track and you can control each individual volume.

This does not work if you end up sending both MIDI channels to the same drum kit instrument within Kontakt (Kontakt instruments can listen to multiple MIDI channels); you need separate drum kits in order to have the automation separate. 

tripecac.com

Tripecac
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/22 00:27:47 (permalink)
    Okay, folks...  Perhaps I need to clarify: the "Kontakt" in the topic title is the keyword here.  I already know how to split drum tracks, which I've been doing for 10+ years on the Korg Triton.  What I don't know how to do is make the coordination with Kontakt easier.  It's a pain to have to jump back and forth between Sonar and Kontakt just to move some drums to a new copy of a drum kit.

How can track templates be used to make this process easier?

tripecac.com

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/22 00:37:52 (permalink)
    Tripecac

Okay, folks...  Perhaps I need to clarify: the "Kontakt" in the topic title is the keyword here.  I already know how to split drum tracks, which I've been doing for 10+ years on the Korg Triton.  What I don't know how to do is make the coordination with Kontakt easier.  It's a pain to have to jump back and forth between Sonar and Kontakt just to move some drums to a new copy of a drum kit.

How can track templates be used to make this process easier?

I think a template wont do anything but a drum map may be what you are looking for. None the less I do recommend you get a drum module like battery.  The Korg had a drum module built in.
    post edited by John - 2011/09/22 00:48:19

Best
    John
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/22 01:53:32 (permalink)
    +1 on what John said. There are so many good drum modules out there. I have Komplete and wouldn't think anything else but Battery in that suite ...just for ease of use.

Why Kontakt?

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/22 02:48:08 (permalink)
    Sometimes I find myself wanting to split a drum track into separate MIDI channels, so that I can automate toms, hats, cymbals, etc. independently of the other drums.

I've used Kontakt for the Steve Slate drums and have done exactly what I understand you are trying to do. Have one MIDI track running drums through Kontakt with each drum sound outputting to its own audio track.

Having said that I can't claim that I worked out how to set it up, I just followed this post

Hope that helps you out.
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Kontakt - Easiest way to split drum tracks into separate MIDI channels 2011/09/22 03:20:38 (permalink)
    Tripecac

In Kontakt, the way I currently do this is:

1) Sonar: move desired drums (e.g., toms) to separate MIDI track
    2) Sonar: set new MIDI track to channel 2 (or some other unused channel)
    3) Kontakt: add another copy of the drum kit to the Kontakt instance. 
    4) Kontakt: make sure the new kit is listening to the new MIDI channel

NOTE: For step 3, if I had tweaked the original kit, then I need to save it first and then add a copy of the saved kit.  Otherwise, I can just find the preset again and add it.

At this point, I can automate the new MIDI track independently of the other drums. 

If I want to have separate audio effects, I need to take some more steps:

5) Kontakt: set new kit's output to new audio channels
    6) Sonar: create a new audio track
    7) Sonar: set new audio track's input to Kontakt's new audio channels

That's a lot of steps.  I'm wondering if there's a way to make it easier.

Suggestions?
    Hi my friend!  

This is how you do it.  LOAD a Instrument let say "DRUM KIT" in KONTAKT on MIDI Ch 1. Inside that INSTRUMENT/DRUM KIT you have flexible routing meaning you have 52 individual channels to route out from KONTAKT. You can then separate what any sample/Group you want to send to any of the Sub Busses/Outputs to your DAW. It only takes one click.

Exampel.

Drum Kit 1

Kick         (Output 1-2)
    Snare      (Output 3-4)
    Hihat       (Output 5-6)
    Op-Hihat (Output 7-8)
    Tom        (Output 9-10)
    and so on...

HELP
    Step one. Setup make your default KONTAKT TEMPLATE. Go to "OUTPUT" section in top menu. Make all OUTPUTS inside the "OUTPUT" mixer- You have total 64 channels if you use the 64bit version 4 Stereo Outputs are AUX channels. SAVE and make default outputs in "VST" from the list. 

Step two. NOW inside SONAR and Kontakt 4/5. Inside the DRUM KIT Edit page. Select the GROUP you want to route. Next go to AMPLIFIER in the INSTRUMENT. As you can see the OUTPUT are set to DEFAULT in the GROUP. Change it to the KONTAKT OUTPUT you want to route/send it too..

Best Regards
    Freddie
    post edited by Freddie H - 2011/09/22 03:37:45

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1