Latency issues! Music Creator 5

Author
prm
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2017/04/09 00:43:33 (permalink)

Latency issues! Music Creator 5

Hello,
I'm getting terrible latency in my recordings. Any tips? I mainly do multitrack recording of live instruments (voice, guitar, percussion) with microphone. Strong latency occurs even in less demanding situations eg just two tracks, live recording, no FX.
I used to have a USB microphone. I moved onto an interface mainly due to latency issues. Latency has persisted if not worsened.
My equipment:
DAW:
Cakewalk Music Creator LE 5
Interface:
Scarlett Focusrite 2i2
Microphone:
Scarlett Studio CM25
System:
Sony Vaio
Windows 7 Professional
Processor Intel ® Core ™ i5-2430MCPU @ 2.40GHz
RAM 8GB
64bits
Focusrite 2.0 ASIO drivers. Buffer length 5 to 10ms
Input & output latency (set automatically with buffer length). Figures for 8ms:  17.3. Output latency 25.4
USB ports used for the interface:
Alternatively 3.0 or generic

Thank you in advance.

6 Replies Related Threads

jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Latency issues! Music Creator 5 2017/04/09 02:14:18 (permalink)
    Open up Task Manager and take a look at what services are running.  You may find many programs running in the background at start-up.

Go to the Knowledge Guide here on Cakewalk's website and search for an article named, "Configuring A Computer For Audio" or something similar.

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Latency issues! Music Creator 5 2017/04/09 15:00:15 (permalink)
    1) Make sure you have the correct driver selected (ASIO - not ASIO4ALL). If you installed ASIO4ALL, uninstall it to ensure that you are actually using the Focusrite ASIO driver.
    2) Disable FX while recording.  Some FX add significant latency and should only be used when doing final mixing.
    3) Are you monitoring through your Focusrite outputs (not your PC or your USB microphone output)?  Should be latency compensated at this point.  If you can see both your USB microphone and your Focusrite at the same time you are probably using the wrong driver.

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Latency issues! Music Creator 5 2017/04/10 12:01:53 (permalink)
    Ditto.... be sure you have ASIO installed and set as the default driver for your DAW audio.  It will use MME if you don't change it to ASIO.  As gcolbert said, if you have used ASIO4ALL, remove it totally.

Also be sure to go into the DAW preference settings and adjust the latency and buffers to their optimal settings. This may require a bit of experimentation or you could be like I was and find that the default settings work perfectly.

You also said you "used to use" a USB mic. Is it safe to assume that you are no longer using that mic in any way shape or form in the recording process?  Hopefully, you use a normal mic (the CM-25 looks like a normal mic)  that plugs into the SF-2i2. Using 2 soundcards (the 2i2 and a USB mic) together can play havoc with the system.

Just use the 2i2 with ASIO. 

Let us know if these things work.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Latency issues! Music Creator 5 2017/04/11 18:56:53 (permalink)
    Try to stick with USB2 ports.  Try different ports.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Manuel Dario Moreno
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Latency issues! Music Creator 5 2017/04/19 13:24:25 (permalink)
    Hi, sorry for posting here, but i could not find another way to contact your company.

My problem is I have CW creator 5 for years, your could check in my account of youtube, but i lose the bag where i have the key to install my product, i have the CD and the Box, but not the key, so i changed my Laptop and now i have no way to install my  product except using hacked keys (available in internet, but that is not the idea of course).

I registered in Cakewalk Page again (the original one was lost because a change in your databases) so when i try to register my product i could not register Creator 5 because it is not in the selection options. So i have a registration without the product, and no way to contact you. my name is  you could check in youtube (same name).

Thank you for your help.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Latency issues! Music Creator 5 2017/04/19 13:31:33 (permalink)
    This is a user forum, not customer support. If the registration information is missing from your account see http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3148924

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1