Limited routing on V Studio 700

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dimaman
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2010/10/08 19:24:36 (permalink)

Limited routing on V Studio 700

I love my V Studio.  A lot.  I know and love Sonar.  A lot.  But some people you just cannot be convinced to use it over PT no matter what.  I'm losing clients, so to appease these bastards, I came up with a brilliant, cost effective solution.  

Here is my studio

Here is the back of the V Studio 700R

Here is the back of the M Audio ProFire Lightbridge

This M Audio Lightbridge would cost me 500 dollars with cables and software (PT MPowered).  And I would dual boot XP and 7 as PT and Sonar.  But alas, Roland's flagship device lacks the ability to transmit its inputs via ADAT unless you do it THROUGH Sonar.  BUMMER.  I hope and pray that this is not a physical limitation, but a software one.  I would be one happy monkey when the new drivers came out, if I had the ability to transmit 4 channels of 96khz or 8 channels of 48khz audio through this bad boy to that stupid lightbridge, so I could utilize the pre-amps and comp of the V Studio, AND run crummy PT M-Powered, my clients and I would be very very pleased.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ROLAND!  When you make the new drivers, give us some more routing options!  I love my V Studio, I DO!  But to be honost, it is quite limited in its routing considering the price and the fact that it is your flagship interface.  THANKS GUYS!

46 Replies Related Threads

Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/08 19:36:44 (permalink)
    It shouldnt be about what Weather you use SOnar or protools your clients should be looking for the best sound on the budget ?

I know what you meen though Over here in scotland its like oooo pro tools then you say about sonar to some one and they just go blank like your talking another language

I started out useing Protools LE with a 003 factory got rid of it and got Sonar producer8.5 and the VS system I made the right choice

Protools are way behind the times have they even gone 64 bit yet ?

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Dimaman
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/08 19:43:11 (permalink)
    DUDE!
    Same story.  Had a 003 factory console for 3 months.  Hated it.  Sold it, saved up and got a V Studio 700. 
    LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS THING!  It is super solid.

I agree. PT is way behind Cakewalk, in many aspects.  But one fact remains.  Most major studios in the world use PT.  OMF is not a solid means of transferring session files, and consolidating audio takes up a lot of HD space, gives you no automation or fader information and most engineers hate receiving OMF files (Myself included).  This is the first bump in the road with my V Studio, and no one device can be perfect for everyone, but I just think this is a feature that should not be omitted from an expensive, flagship device. 
    Norrie
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/08 20:06:11 (permalink)
    I get what your saying man but you said you are loseing clients ?

Why are you loseing clients ? Its not them who are using the DAW

So aslong as you can prove to them you can get a sond as good and I am sure alot better than pro tools then why cant they see that ?

I know protools was once classed as the "industry standard" but they are far from it now :)

I know over here in the Uk there is not a lot of top studios useing Sonar but from what I hear in america its more sonar than protools :)

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Dimaman
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/08 20:14:45 (permalink)
    As a student at LA Recording School, an assistant engineer to Charlie Watts and a guy who has assisted in the multiple studio builds in LA, I can assure you, PT is still used by at least 90% of the big recording and production houses in LA, and the US. 
     The issue is the ease at which clients can transfer sessions to other studios.  And that feature is one that should be included. 
    smoochy
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/10 23:08:37 (permalink)
    i'm confused... are your clients end users... by that i mean do you give them a cd or mp3 when your done and they go their mary way... or are you doing some of their work and they take it else where to complete it... like another production house that uses pro tools HD?    if their end users then it doesn't matter what you use as long as the end result is good.  even if their having it mastered some where else. 

also, there is a huge difference between pro tools le and pro tools HD...   if your clients just think that pro tools is pro tools... then you need to inform them that as far as the LE version of pro tools go... sonar embarrasses it.
    post edited by smoochy - 2010/10/10 23:13:30

Benchmark production
    V-STUDIO 700
    I7-920
    ASUS P6TD
    12GIG Ocz PLATINUM
    ATI RADEON 4800hd SERIES
    3 seagate 160gig 32meg 7,200 sata2
    1wd 1tb 7,200 sata2
    2 24" digital samsung monitors
    OZG 1,000WATT MODULAR
    UAD1
    UAD2 QUAD
    TOFT ATB24
    FRONTIER TRANZPORT
    yamaha kx8 controller
    Norrie
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/10 23:14:43 (permalink)
    smoochy

i'm confused... are your clients end users... by that i mean do you give them a cd or mp3 when your done and they go their mary way... or are you doing some of their work and they take it else where to complete it... like another production house that uses pro tools HD?    if their end users then it doesn't matter what you use as long as the end result is good.  even if their having it mastered some where else. 

also, there is a huge difference between pro tools le and pro tools HD...   if your clients just think that pro tools is pro tools... then you need to inform them that as far as the LE version of pro tools go... sonar embarrasses it.

+1

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Dimaman
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/11 05:21:49 (permalink)
    The DV toolkit for PT LE doubles track count, allows for trim automation and basically gives you an HD system without the HD hardware.  I already have that. And PT LE on my Macbook pro.  I also have a crummy M Box mini they gave me to work PT on. 
    The bottom line is that I am losing clientele because I don't use PT.  Even when songs are complete, artists want their PT sessions.  They want to be able to have the sessions mixed elsewhere.  I had a client where I produced, recorded and mixed 4 songs, and then 6 months later he asked me for the session files to give to some guy that was going to do a remix.  The guy gave him an ear full when I gave him the consolidated files. 
    I love Sonar as much as you guys do.  I think it ****s on PT.  That's not the point.  The point is A) PT is still the most widely used DAW software and having the ability to move sessions from studio to studio with ease is a big plus.  B) The ability to route your inputs to ADAT is a feature that was included in my FW1884, and that thing is damn near 10 years old.  Why Roland would have such limited usage on for the ADAT on their flagship product is beyond me.  What I'm trying to do is not that complicated, and I am simply saying that it really sucks that Roland did not include that feature. 

For the record, PT HD and LE are damn near the same thing as long as you have the DV Toolkit.  96 tracks, trim automation, some video stuff.  I haven't explored everything yet.  I don't like PT.  If I did, I would have kept my 003.  I like Sonar, but having the ability to have both would be awesome. 
    Dyonight
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 529
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/11 20:23:01 (permalink)
    Hi!

I found something interesting in the manual of the Octa-Capture by Roland.

It's in the manual here:

http://www.roland.com/pro...cId=46170303&dsp=1

Here is what it says:

You can use the OCTA-CAPTURE together with the VS-100 or VS-700 to expand the I/O. In order to expand the I/O, you must update the drivers and system software.
    VS-100:
    System program version 1.50 or later
    Driver version 2.0

VS-700:
    System program version 1.30 or later
    Windows driver version 2.0 
    Mac driver version 1.0
    * There is no need to update the OCTA-CAPTURE.

Both are 1.0 on mine so, if I didn't missed something, there will be an  I/O's cpu, dsp, fantom and a console driver upgrade VERY SOON. (check the manual) To check your version, open I/O editor and go to help- About VS-700 I/O

Let's hope it will contain what we wish for and not just an "Octa-Capture" driver compatibility.

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/11 22:01:00 (permalink)
    Was that in the download? I didn't see it on the pages there. Many special versions relate to specific equipment combinations.

Craig DuBuc
    FreezeStudio
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/12 12:12:17 (permalink)
    This possibility should have been on the VS700R  from the start and it should not be nessesary to buy one more unit for real monitoring. The monitoring on the VS700R are very disapointing. VS700R HAVE Very poor direct monitoring and poor routing for monitoring. This is exactly what we need, but it should been included in an update of the system.
    This looks like my resque for monitorng with reverb and four flexible mixes as well
    OCTA-CAPTURE 10x10 24-bit/192 kHz Hi-Speed USB Audio Interface
    8 Premium Mic Preamps, Compact I/O, Pristine Sound Quality
    Extreme Low-Latency Driver
    OCTA-CAPTURE offers incredible stability and industry-leading low-latency USB performance via Roland’s proprietary VS STREAMING technology. All current Mac and PC DAW platforms are supported through ASIO 2.0/WDM (Windows) and Core Audio (Mac) drivers. Thanks to VS STREAMING, you can use multiple devices (two OCTA-CAPTURE units or one OCTA-CAPTURE plus a V-STUDIO 100 or V-STUDIO 700) on the same USB bus without compromising stability, performance, or audio quality.
    Four Flexible Monitor Mixes
    Beyond traditional audio interfacing, OCTA-CAPTURE offers four independent Direct Mixers for creating software-controlled monitor mixes. Each mix can be routed to any of the analog outputs and can take advantage of the internal 40-bit DSP processing — perfect for sending custom monitor mixes to headphones, speakers, or recording devices.
    High-performance DSP onboard with support for

four discrete mixes
    OCTA-CAPTURE’s high-performance DSP provides 40-bit internal processing
    capability, allowing you to perform a variety of latency-free mixing, monitoring,
    and patching tasks without burdening your computer. The built-in mix function
    provides effects such as reverb and digital compression, and you can output
    four separate mixes, each customized for different monitoring requirements.
    features

Freeze from Norway

System: Win 7 ultimate, SSD 80 gb disk + 3 X 1 T Disk 12 gig ram. SONAR 8.5 64 BIT, V-Studio 700 R/C + PCR 800
    Rolans RSS M-400/REAC + 3 X M48 Personal monitor system + Roland TD 20 W/expantion drums.
    Dyonight
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/12 14:11:39 (permalink)
    The only thing I was pointing is that a driver/firmware update is to be released soon.

They will probably get it out around the release date of the Octa-Capture since it is necessary to expand the v-studios.

There will be a vs-700C driver update
    A vs-700C program update

vs700R cpu and dsp to 1.30 (very likely a dsp reverb and more routing option, like in the Octa-Capture)
     and Fantom to 1.30

Shure it will allow to use the Octa-Capture as an expansion but I'm shure there will be much more since Cakewalk always listen to their users and I'm pretty shure there will be a lot of very good surprises, very soon.

FreezeStudio
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/12 15:45:41 (permalink)
    I hope so, such a update will be a very good add on / update to the system and my biggest issue with the V-STUDIO SYSTEM.

ive got enough channels with the adat connection, but routing and monitoring  possibilitys are very poor in this system. You want the musicians to enjoy playin and too be confident recording. No latency and a little reverb do often make their day.

Come on Cake-peolple - Sonar - Roland - Edirol- RSS : INFORMATION Please

Freeze from Norway

System: Win 7 ultimate, SSD 80 gb disk + 3 X 1 T Disk 12 gig ram. SONAR 8.5 64 BIT, V-Studio 700 R/C + PCR 800
    Rolans RSS M-400/REAC + 3 X M48 Personal monitor system + Roland TD 20 W/expantion drums.
    e.Blue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 693
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/12 16:02:53 (permalink)
    Dyonight

The only thing I was pointing is that a driver/firmware update is to be released soon.

They will probably get it out around the release date of the Octa-Capture since it is necessary to expand the v-studios.

There will be a vs-700C driver update
    A vs-700C program update

I agree, there was recently an update released for the V-Studio 100 which specifically mentioned OCTA-CAPTURE support and lower latency. So I think its safe to assume that we should be seeing something similar for the VS-700 soon as well.

-e.B

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
    Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Operator
    Full gear listing available here: Hardware / Software / See us on 
    Dimaman
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/12 16:49:57 (permalink)
    Guys, if you want these expanded IO routing options PLEASE ask for it!

FEATURE REQUEST!

I already filled one out.  I think if we put enough pressure on Cakewalk, they will do what we ask for.  They are really good at listening to their customers.  I can also get in contact with the developers in Japan.  I just want to make sure I'm not the only one asking for these options. 

Thanks guys!
    FreezeStudio
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/12 17:09:51 (permalink)
    Its done -  i was near by selling my unit because of the lack of direct monitoring and monitor mix.

Maybe this is a good sign. i ll put it on hold for couple of weeks

x my fingers for very good news VERY soon....

Freeze from Norway

Dimaman
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 04:46:24 (permalink)
    Any word on this from the reps?
    FreezeStudio
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 11:12:01 (permalink)
    Here`s a link with updates to new version 1.3 on the V-studio 700

I dont know if there is any goodies but better drivers with ultra low latency  is promised...

Im going to download the upgrades and update my system tonite...

There is drivers etc for the new octacapture I/O 10/10

If there`s any goodies ill let you know

[link=http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=VS%2D700SET&nstrw=1]http://www.roland.com/pro...S%2D700SET&nstrw=1[/link]

Freeze from Norway

Norrie
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 11:45:20 (permalink)
    FreezeStudio

Here`s a link with updates to new version 1.3 on the V-studio 700

I dont know if there is any goodies but better drivers with ultra low latency  is promised...

Im going to download the upgrades and update my system tonite...

There is drivers etc for the new octacapture I/O 10/10

If there`s any goodies ill let you know

[link=http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=VS%2D700SET&nstrw=1]http://www.roland.com/pro...S%2D700SET&nstrw=1[/link]

This Is going to be a really silly question but my mind has drawen a blank right now

How do I tell what version the driver for my VS700 is ?

I should know this but my minds gone blank :S I just did a full reinstall but just used the driver disk so not sure whatversion I wil be on

Thanks for you help

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    FreezeStudio
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 12:11:19 (permalink)
    be careful when updating :-) own responsibility

Checking the version of the VS-700C console
    [lang=ja][lang=ja]
    Check the version of the VS-700C console, VS-700 I/O CPU, VS-700 I/O
    DSP, and VS-700 I/O FANTOM VS.
    If the version number is 1.30 or later, the update is not required.
    1. Switch off the VS-700C’s power.
    2. On the rear panel, set switch #8 of the “SETTING” switches to
    the “ON” position (upward); this selects Update mode.
    Normal setting Update mode
    3. Switch on the VS-700C’s power.
    4. The version is shown in the LCD display.
    5. Switch the power off, then return switch #8 of the “SETTING”
    switches on the rear panel to the “OFF” position (downward).
    post edited by FreezeStudio - 2010/10/13 13:22:52

Freeze from Norway

Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 12:45:29 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone,

We are currently working on update instructions regarding the VS-700 Firmware and Windows Driver 2.0 updates. These instructions will help clarify the proper installation procedure.

The driver update requires the firmware updates, thus the careful attention we are taking to provide you with helpful instructions.

I will post an update as soon as this is available. In the meantime, please have patience as firmware updates are a delicate procedure that require careful attention.

Ryan Munnis
    Cakewalk
    FreezeStudio
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 14:14:06 (permalink)
    Ive updateed my system and im on the run, everything seems ok. Ive updated the V-STUDIO VS 700 C / VS700R/VSFANTOM V1.30

*****Be very careful - this is not a game. It can mess up your system badly if it goes wrong******

My system is now up and running with the new updates - ive loaded som prosject and they seem to run ok.

Im sorry to say that i  so far have not found no goodies. But it promised too deliver less latency so ill try to compare with  old values.

We want an update of the direct monitoring on the I/O editor in the direct mix, like the Octa capture, with 4 seprate monitor mixes and possibility to ad some reverb and maybe some eq inside the direct mix, not trough sonar 

Look here: From the V-Studio closer look.
    Now if you wanted to give each musician his/her own separate headphone mix, that’s also
    possible since the VS-700R provides 10 outputs (or 5 stereo pairs). You would just need a
    headphone amp with multiple inputs. The only problem with this situation is that monitoring would
    have to be through SONAR, rather than through the Direct Monitor Mixer. This could eventually
    cause problems with latency depending on the number of tracks you’re working with, but I wanted
    to be sure and mention that it
    is something that’s possible with the V-Studio 700 system.
    Unfortunately, you can’t route to any of the individual outputs and the Mixer can’t be controlled via the Control
    Surface – at least not entirely.

Hopefully, Cakewalk will find a different way to provide full Direct Monitor Mixer control from the Surface in a future
    update. 

It would have been nice to know, if theres is going to be an update??? on the direct mix???
     it should have been included on a gear in this price segment. Or are all the VS users forced to by the the new I/O to get this option , or change to another brand.  

Freeze from Norway

Dyonight
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 14:32:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Ryan for the infos, I think I'll wait the instructions.

Can you tell us more about direct monitor update?  Is there hope to see this come true or the hardware do not permit it?

Thanks!
    FreezeStudio
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 16:46:34 (permalink)

Shure it will allow to use the Octa-Capture as an expansion but I'm shure there will be much more since Cakewalk always listen to their users and I'm pretty shure there will be a lot of very good surprises, very soon

Shure it will allow to use the Octa-Capture as an expansion but I'm shure there will be much more since Cakewalk always listen to their users and I'm pretty shure there will be a lot of very good surprises, very soon

Dyonight: Ill Hope youll rigth about this

Freeze from Norway

Dyonight
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 18:07:52 (permalink)
    mmmmm I hope I was right too...
    Norrie
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 19:11:37 (permalink)
    FreezeStudio

be careful when updating :-) own responsibility

Checking the version of the VS-700C console
    [lang=ja][lang=ja]
    Check the version of the VS-700C console, VS-700 I/O CPU, VS-700 I/O
    DSP, and VS-700 I/O FANTOM VS.
    If the version number is 1.30 or later, the update is not required.
    1. Switch off the VS-700C’s power.
    2. On the rear panel, set switch #8 of the “SETTING” switches to
    the “ON” position (upward); this selects Update mode.
    Normal setting Update mode
    3. Switch on the VS-700C’s power.
    4. The version is shown in the LCD display.
    5. Switch the power off, then return switch #8 of the “SETTING”
    switches on the rear panel to the “OFF” position (downward).

Hey I hope you can help I just checked and my versions are all 1.0.0.0 on the VS700 , Fantom and the console is 1.02

Could you like me to the down loads I need please? I can only find this linkhttp://www.cakewalk.com/S...Page.aspx?ID=VS7  and its not got the 1.30 drivers

Thanks for all your help

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 20:16:21 (permalink)
    Its ok I found it guys thanks :)

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/13 22:07:49 (permalink)
    Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk
    ]

Hi Everyone,

We are currently working on update instructions regarding the VS-700 Firmware and Windows Driver 2.0 updates. These instructions will help clarify the proper installation procedure.

The driver update requires the firmware updates, thus the careful attention we are taking to provide you with helpful instructions.

I will post an update as soon as this is available. In the meantime, please have patience as firmware updates are a delicate procedure that require careful attention.

Well, the cats out of the bag now. That's good news. I think I'll wait for the official release.

Craig DuBuc
    Dimaman
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/14 15:53:47 (permalink)
    Hey Ryan!

Thanks for the update dude, greatly appreciated.  I'm getting the sense that new Direct Monitoring options, specifically the use of the ADAT outs, is not a feature of this update.  Can you please give us an update about this?  Can you at least comment on whether such a routing option is even possible with this hardware?  A bunch of us are eager to know.  Thanks man!
    Dimaman
    Re:Limited routing on V Studio 700 2010/10/14 15:57:17 (permalink)
    [<font][link=http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=VS%2D700SET&nstrw=1]http://www.roland.com/pro...S%2D700SET&nstrw=1

Browsing through the latest divers and i noticed one interesting thing.  We are still using I/O editor 1.0.  Is there an update planned for the editor?  Will it include the features we are requesting?  Pretty please :)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1