Locking MIDI port assignments

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
pianodano
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1160
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/18 12:18:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pjl

ORIGINAL: ChristopherM

It isn't as easy as we'd like to think.
Nothing ever is ... and your point is what? That we have paid for premium professional grade software, but that we have to accept that the vendor finds it too difficult to get it right?

No, just that it's a shortcoming of the software but one of many, as with all other software. And, seriously, let's get the notion of paying for "premium professional grade software" into perspective. You paid a few hundred dollars, in the world of software that's chicken feed. I've seen software that clients have paid multi-million dollars for that had so many bugs it was abandoned (and, no, the software vendors didn't lose money on the deal). That's not a justification for not getting what you want but the realities are:
- no-one can expect bug free software at any price (there is no such thing), but certainly not for a few hundred dollars,
- no matter how many bugs are fixed there will always be more so we will never be satisified,
- there are so many bugs to be fixed in something as complex as a DAW (or an OS) that the particular bug that bothers you may or may not be fixed in a hurry,
- CW, compared to many other vendors, do a lot of free big fixes but they also have to devote time/resources to new features to keep up with/ahead of the pack and that necessarily introduces new bugs,
- past history has shown that they do take note of feedback from these forums but knowing something is wrong is not the same as fixing it so it can conceivably be years between a bug being reported and being fixed because they have to prioritise,

No matter what you may think, we simpy haven't paid them nearly enough money to be able to address all if the issues (bugs, feature requests...) raised in this forum because the work/resources required to do that would be enormous. We can't isolate one pet bug and say, "it wouldn't be so hard to fix that" because there will always be other users with different priorities complaining that the resources aren't going into fixing the right bugs. Add to that the users who just can't understand that the concept of bug-free software is a nonsensical fantasy.

I've been complaing about the MIDI port bug for nearly 2 years and,one day, I think it will be fixed. But seriously, it's an inconvenince, not a show stopper. And to anyone who thinks that for what they've paid they shouldn't have to put up with such an inconvenience - I'm afraid you're viewpoint is an economic nonsense.

Well, I specifcally asked Cubase tech support about this issue on the phone. I was told it does not move ports when around and that port assignments are locked. I wonder any one one can verify this ?

RE plugging in a USB device into a different port. I have had a couple of computer techies tell me that it makes no difference if a different USB port is use. That is WRONG. Always plug your device into whatever port it was plugged in when you installed the driver for it.

Inconvience ? Like hell. Must not have many midi devices. How can anyone give a pass on this as a itty bitty bug. Myself and others have complained about this since version 3. It is a CRITICAL defect. PERIOD.
post edited by pianodano - 2008/04/18 12:22:57

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/18 12:37:20 (permalink)
If you do that, you might as well trash your Sonar settings and start again

Does that imply to you a Sonar reinstall or a total OS reinstall? I already explained the latter is temporarily not an option.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/18 15:16:23 (permalink)
I'm afraid you're viewpoint is an economic nonsense.
Thank you for your kind words. Now go and take a little lie-down in a darkened room and I am sure that you will feel better in a trice.
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/18 16:08:58 (permalink)
Hi Alex-
We'll try to address this the next chance we get.

Thanks!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
dhsherbert
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/18 16:46:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Alex Westner [Cakewalk]

Thank you, Alex!

Doug
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/18 19:02:29 (permalink)
Thanks Alex.

--kwgm
ChristopherM
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 02:34:52 (permalink)
Given the gratitude expressed by my peers, I feel churlish saying this, but what does that mean? It's positive and aspirational, but "try", "chance" and "get" in this context imply respectively "but I am making no commitment", "who knows when?" and "if Roland authorises the expenditure" ... or am I just being pessimistic?
pjl
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 03:25:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pianodano

Inconvience ? Like hell. Must not have many midi devices. How can anyone give a pass on this as a itty bitty bug. Myself and others have complained about this since version 3. It is a CRITICAL defect. PERIOD.

Actually, my set up runs 25 MIDI ports and when this happens, as it occassionally does, it slows me down by a few minutes so I can't really claim it's anymore than an inconvenience. But, yes, I'd like it fixed and have been asking for that ever since I moved to SONAR 5. Some of you have obviously been waiting longer.

The point of my post was not to say that this problem doesn't matter and doesn't need to be fixed - and it certainly wasn't to insult anyone so I'm sorry if I did. I'm just trying to remind everyone that CW has limited resources because resources cost money. Those resources are occupied full time fixing bugs and adding new features. They can't do it all immediately so they have to prioritise.

Sure, you have every right to disagree with their priorities (as I quite often do) but no matter what order they do choose there will be large a group of us saying that our bug is more important and should be fixed now. For example, I'd much rather have them put time into fixing the bug that stops Synth Rack remote control assignments being saved in a project because having to re-assign them all manually every time I load a project is a major inconvenience to me.

All we can do is let them know what we'd like and hope that enough other people share our point of view that it moves the issue up the schedule.
post edited by pjl - 2008/04/19 03:47:58

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
pjl
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 03:36:23 (permalink)

I'm afraid you're viewpoint is an economic nonsense.
Thank you for your kind words. Now go and take a little lie-down in a darkened room and I am sure that you will feel better in a trice.

Poor choice of words on my part (unecessarily confrontational). I apologise but I stand by my basic argument. There will always be bugs because, amongst other reasons, they cost money to fix and money is limited no matter what we paid for the software.

Sure, it's perfectly reasonable for you to think this one is so serious that it should go to the top of the list but it's also reasonable for other people to say no that's annoying but should be a lower priority behind....

Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 06:07:34 (permalink)
There will always be bugs because, amongst other reasons, they cost money to fix and money is limited no matter what we paid for the software.

With life itself we accept that, since there's no alternatives to it.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 07:00:45 (permalink)
I don't go far enough back with CW, but can anyone remember when this wasn't an issue? and what version of Windows changed it?

pjl
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 07:04:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

I don't go far enough back with CW, but can anyone remember when this wasn't an issue? and what version of Windows changed it?

Neither do I but I suspect it's a consequence of an original design decision, to store port numbers rather than names, and so has always been there.

SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 07:09:29 (permalink)

Neither do I but I suspect it's a consequence of an original design decision, to store port numbers rather than names, and so has always been there.

I'd be surprised at that, as CW started as a MIDI sequencer, some 20+ years ago, and multi-port interfaces have been around a LONG time. circa 1989/90 and on, it was not unusual to have 64+ ports active driving a multitude of synths/devices.

pjl
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 08:29:52 (permalink)

I'd be surprised at that, as CW started as a MIDI sequencer, some 20+ years ago, and multi-port interfaces have been around a LONG time. circa 1989/90 and on, it was not unusual to have 64+ ports active driving a multitude of synths/devices.

By always there I mean since SONAR 1, since I've always assumed that SONAR was pretty much a rewrite from the ground up rather than a rebadging of Pro Audio - but I don't know that to be the case.

ChristopherM
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 09:09:22 (permalink)
PJL - I just don't get why you feel obliged to be an apologist for CW - it's decades since CW was a struggling, idealistic developer of something on the frontiers of experience. Now it is part of a global corporation. The sympathy would be better directed towards, say, Cockos (which appears to be trying to establish a new paradigm, at least). My sense is that CW (like many corporations at about this age) is starting to lack responsiveness, maybe in part because it is saddled with an ageing code-base that is therefore especially difficult to maintain. With your experience of software development, you will presumably recognise that all-too-common scenario too. Ageing software and organisations all seem to reach the sclerotic state eventually - luckily, individuals never do
jim y
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 721
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 09:39:39 (permalink)
Roflcopter...

Sometimes Sonars device assignments seem end up containing what amount to dead shortcuts - especially if physical devices have changed. This what I think is happening when the port is there, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The easiest way to correct that I know is to delete ttsseq.ini for midi devices and aud.ini for audio interfaces. That's what I meant by "trashing settings".

----------------------------------------------

Even when Sonar can lock our device assignments, I don't think there will ever be complete reliability with this stuff (esp USB) as long as the products don't uniquely identify themselves and then be actively "discovered" by the application. Relying on assigning them to an instrument by their still being where they were originally is not good enough.

I wonder if future audio hardware products could be given friendly names by the user? I mean stored in a flash memory on the device and entered as part of the installation process. So you could have...
"Channel faders 1-8"
"Channel faders 9-16"
"Bus faders"
... for a mix console built from three otherwise identical 8 channel USB controllers.

and...
"B4 Upper manual"
"B4 Lower manual"
... for 2 identical USB keyboard controllers dedicated to organ playing.

Now the application can discover exactly which device is which from it's unique name (and far more sensible than assigning a friendly name to the port - which is actually pointless if your ports get swapped), and exactly what to do with it.

Jim

Yes, I know it's upside down.
pjl
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 11:09:43 (permalink)

PJL - I just don't get why you feel obliged to be an apologist for CW - it's decades since CW was a struggling, idealistic developer of something on the frontiers of experience. Now it is part of a global corporation. The sympathy would be better directed towards, say, Cockos (which appears to be trying to establish a new paradigm, at least). My sense is that CW (like many corporations at about this age) is starting to lack responsiveness, maybe in part because it is saddled with an ageing code-base that is therefore especially difficult to maintain. With your experience of software development, you will presumably recognise that all-too-common scenario too. Ageing software and organisations all seem to reach the sclerotic state eventually - luckily, individuals never do

Sorry, Christopher but I really think you just don't understand the realities of the software business, and that's fair enough, there's no reason you should, but trust me I do. It's what I do for a living, I'm a professor of Informatics in a School of Business. I don't mention that in attempt to pull rank or to be an arsehole, and I'm certainly not trying to under value the frustration you feel at bugs that hinder your work flow. I'm just trying to tell you that I know what I'm talking about and to get people to understand that the economics and practicalities of the business mean that no software company can satisfy all of it's clients even if they charge hundreds of thousands of dollars for their product - the mathematics just doesn't balance and the priorities of the user base are far too diverse. I also don't think you realise, despite the injection of Roland cash, just how small a company Cakewalk still is. In 2007 the company had revenue (not profit) of a mere $14.2 million, that's less than 12% of the 2007 revenue of Atari ($122.3 million) and most peopple thought they went broke years ago.

pianodano
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/19 12:15:22 (permalink)
The thread is getting kind of weird.

Imo, Cakewalk has spent their precious "resources" on bells and whistles trying to attact a still larger base of audio users. That's might be ok if that is the only target market. But Sonar is considered the flagship DAW/sequencer by many. The potential for Sonar is certainly in the stratosphere. Many users could or would buy anything that might promise an end to the frustations. The chore and druddgery of dealing with such simpleton problems seriously interfere with what Sonar is expected to do.

I have felt for several years that there really should be 2 VERSIONS. Since it has been stated now as an EXCUSE that resources are limited which precludes the ability to fix what some may consider non showstopper bugs, but otoh evidently there are plenty of resouces to keep piling on more code to accomplish dubious tasks, how about 1 version for the base of happy users that are looking for more wizbangs for guitar and a way to make their screams sound better, and a separate yearly subscription or maintence fee for the folks that really see the potential, want to see it fulfilled and must have these types of issues resolved.

Along the same lines, here is a really simple question, but no one ever seems to able to answer satisfactorly and some might even yet consider silly. But maybe it's not so silly after all:

I learned early on and have continued to do so throughout my recording years (30+), that the common practice was (still is ?) to document all tracks, assignments, effects, and pretty much everything else that has to do with a recording, and store this info in a binder. Computers store data and easily print it. Someone somewhere must have made a command decision that either DAWs are so perfect or the music we are recording is so worthless that there was no need to document the information anymore. What a stupid decision that was. I challenge anyone with 20 or more midi ports that has perhaps installed even more recently, to open a song with 30, 40 or 50 midi tracks that they may have started recording 2 or 3 years ago and come up with the original port assignments. Funny thing is, if ONLY we could print out the tracks and all relevant data, the original information would absolutely be available in exactly the circumstances this thread acknowledges. So why can't we print such basic information from a computer ? I am NOT referring to a screenshot. I propose that this correlates to the title of this thread, ie: that some of the most basic tasks have been entirely overlooked in the RUSH to get a product on the market in the hope that most of the people will accept it. A old guy like myself would have to suspend common sense in order to accept such basic oversights as mere software bugs. Sorry, that ain't going to happen. I expect far better from such a fine company as Cakewalk. I will gladly continue to support them if they show some efforts in correcting these types of problems that many users in the community have continually brought to the table as major issues . But I will not continue under the existing UPGRADE scheme which forever allows serious defects to be considered as insignificant and ESPECIALLY when predictable post such as the software programmer here espouses which in effect tells us what a bunch of idiots we are for expecting the product to work. He seems to have all the same old excuses down pat.

Regards,

Danny
post edited by pianodano - 2008/04/19 14:29:14

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
pjl
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/20 06:48:24 (permalink)
Danny,

There is nothing unreasonable in saying that CW have got there priorities wrong. You have every right to say that this bug is the most important issue with SONAR and it should be fixed before anything else. Anyone who disagrees with that point of view is just expressing an opinion. My only point was that they can't do everything that everyone wants so there will always be a large group of us saying they have their priorities wrong. I don't present the resources argument as an excuse, just as an explanation.

As for your comments on documentation, you are right on the money there. I too come from the era of logging everything and, yes I do have a log book and track sheets to help me sort out what's going on with projects long past. These days I use the notes page in SONAR more often than paper records but it would certainly be nice to have something that was substantially more automated as you suggest.

As for the MIDI bug, I think Alex's comment earlier in this thread is an indication that this one is on their radar. He didn't give a guarantee but that's probably just because he has neither absolute control of the development team nor the authority to commit CW to any such promises. I'm hopeful this one will have a happy ending at least by the time V8 is released.

ChristopherM
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/20 08:44:54 (permalink)
I'm just trying to tell you that I know what I'm talking about
and I still don't get why you are so eager to be unappointed spokesperson for CW's CEO in this thread ... whatever your knowledge of the generic case, I would venture that you have no particular inside knowledge about CW's circumstances and priorities. Based only on my own now very long experience of using CW products, I am certain that CW has relentlessly moved from being a company which was responsive to its users (tech support would respond to a message, for instance) to a company which is happy to churn out more and more "features" but never even gets close to getting them into a high state of assurance or operability. The MIDI port irritation is just one of these - think of the "motorboating" issue; the idiosyncrasies of Step Sequencer; the raft of automation-related issues; the unnecessary complexity of ACT; the primitive features and documentation of Publisher - none of these has been resolved AFAIK. And they are not bells and whistles - these are fundamental inhibitors of workflow and hence productivity. So despite the many great things in Sonar, working with it is becoming increasingly frustrating.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't need any patronising lectures about "the realities of the software business". Until a few years ago, I worked in that very business and I think that I have a reasonable grasp of said realities. The most telling reality is the question of competitiveness, and I am somewhat concerned that CW is losing ground here by following its present strategy of trying to be at the bleeding edge in features and functions from a code base that must now be fifteen years old in parts. Bizarrely enough, Project 5 appears to have a much different code base to Sonar, and is beginning to overlap Sonar in many areas. Unfortunately, P5 doesn't have enough capability to replace Sonar for my purposes, any way. So to your comments about scarce resources and prioritisation, I can only wonder why CW deliberately set out to duplicate so much of Sonar's functionality in P5, unless it was meant to be "Sonar NT" or whatever and eventually replace Sonar.

The recent "benchmarking" issue around multi-cores was probably more of a side show than anything for the majority of users, but it seemed to me to illustrate the problem. CW's CTO (no disrespect to him) made a zillion posts here defending CW's position, but meanwhile the wider DAW community is left with the perception that Sonar is an under-performer. It only takes a relatively small number of such criticisms to gain common acceptance and to be extrapolated more widely than is actually justified and the product and company can be in serious trouble- there are still people who spurn VIA chipsets because of a similar set of circumstances in VIA's history. Meanwhile, hungrier or more agile competitors steal market share.

We users have a lot of learning invested in Sonar (in some cases to work around bugs, of course!) and I really do not want to see this squandered, so I sincerely hope that CW will pull through what looks to me like a crisis in its strategic course.

Now what was the original question ? Oh, yes ... some boring techy stuff about MIDI ports, whatever they are.
ChristopherM
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/20 08:49:56 (permalink)
He didn't give a guarantee but that's probably just because he has neither absolute control of the development team nor the authority to commit CW to any such promises
So, to coin a phrase, his guarantee wasn't worth the paper it wasn't written on.
ChristopherM
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/20 08:53:00 (permalink)
A old guy like myself would have to suspend common sense in order to accept such basic oversights as mere software bugs. Sorry, that ain't going to happen. I expect far better from such a fine company as Cakewalk. I will gladly continue to support them if they show some efforts in correcting these types of problems that many users in the community have continually brought to the table as major issues . But I will not continue under the existing UPGRADE scheme which forever allows serious defects to be considered as insignificant and ESPECIALLY when predictable post such as the software programmer here espouses which in effect tells us what a bunch of idiots we are for expecting the product to work. He seems to have all the same old excuses down pat
... and a mere slip of a girl like me thinks that you have summed up the situation so well that I cannot resist repeating it again.
pianodano
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/20 10:49:24 (permalink)

Danny,

There is nothing unreasonable in saying that CW have got there priorities wrong. You have every right to say that this bug is the most important issue with SONAR and it should be fixed before anything else. Anyone who disagrees with that point of view is just expressing an opinion. My only point was that they can't do everything that everyone wants so there will always be a large group of us saying they have their priorities wrong. I don't present the resources argument as an excuse, just as an explanation.

As for your comments on documentation, you are right on the money there. I too come from the era of logging everything and, yes I do have a log book and track sheets to help me sort out what's going on with projects long past. These days I use the notes page in SONAR more often than paper records but it would certainly be nice to have something that was substantially more automated as you suggest.

As for the MIDI bug, I think Alex's comment earlier in this thread is an indication that this one is on their radar. He didn't give a guarantee but that's probably just because he has neither absolute control of the development team nor the authority to commit CW to any such promises. I'm hopeful this one will have a happy ending at least by the time V8 is released.

Thank you very much for the tone of your reply. I find it so refreshing this Sunday morning. Please do not assume or think for a moment that it was my intent to attack your post in any way. I will hope that Cakewalk really will look into problems such as these.

Regards,

Danny

Best,

Danny

pianodano
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/20 10:56:10 (permalink)

A old guy like myself would have to suspend common sense in order to accept such basic oversights as mere software bugs. Sorry, that ain't going to happen. I expect far better from such a fine company as Cakewalk. I will gladly continue to support them if they show some efforts in correcting these types of problems that many users in the community have continually brought to the table as major issues . But I will not continue under the existing UPGRADE scheme which forever allows serious defects to be considered as insignificant and ESPECIALLY when predictable post such as the software programmer here espouses which in effect tells us what a bunch of idiots we are for expecting the product to work. He seems to have all the same old excuses down pat
... and a mere slip of a girl like me thinks that you have summed up the situation so well that I cannot resist repeating it again.

Opps. I started to say guys and "gals". Don't know why I didn't. Probably because I mentioned that I was old and I must have felt at the time that it would be inappropriate to include the ladies in that sentence.

Danny

Best,

Danny

pjl
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/04/21 05:16:57 (permalink)

I'm just trying to tell you that I know what I'm talking about
and I still don't get why you are so eager to be unappointed spokesperson for CW's CEO in this thread ... whatever your knowledge of the generic case, I would venture that you have no particular inside knowledge about CW's circumstances and priorities. Based only on my own now very long experience of using CW products, I am certain that CW has relentlessly moved from being a company which was responsive to its users (tech support would respond to a message, for instance) to a company which is happy to churn out more and more "features" but never even gets close to getting them into a high state of assurance or operability. The MIDI port irritation is just one of these - think of the "motorboating" issue; the idiosyncrasies of Step Sequencer; the raft of automation-related issues; the unnecessary complexity of ACT; the primitive features and documentation of Publisher - none of these has been resolved AFAIK. And they are not bells and whistles - these are fundamental inhibitors of workflow and hence productivity. So despite the many great things in Sonar, working with it is becoming increasingly frustrating.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't need any patronising lectures about "the realities of the software business". Until a few years ago, I worked in that very business and I think that I have a reasonable grasp of said realities. The most telling reality is the question of competitiveness, and I am somewhat concerned that CW is losing ground here by following its present strategy of trying to be at the bleeding edge in features and functions from a code base that must now be fifteen years old in parts. Bizarrely enough, Project 5 appears to have a much different code base to Sonar, and is beginning to overlap Sonar in many areas. Unfortunately, P5 doesn't have enough capability to replace Sonar for my purposes, any way. So to your comments about scarce resources and prioritisation, I can only wonder why CW deliberately set out to duplicate so much of Sonar's functionality in P5, unless it was meant to be "Sonar NT" or whatever and eventually replace Sonar.

The recent "benchmarking" issue around multi-cores was probably more of a side show than anything for the majority of users, but it seemed to me to illustrate the problem. CW's CTO (no disrespect to him) made a zillion posts here defending CW's position, but meanwhile the wider DAW community is left with the perception that Sonar is an under-performer. It only takes a relatively small number of such criticisms to gain common acceptance and to be extrapolated more widely than is actually justified and the product and company can be in serious trouble- there are still people who spurn VIA chipsets because of a similar set of circumstances in VIA's history. Meanwhile, hungrier or more agile competitors steal market share.

We users have a lot of learning invested in Sonar (in some cases to work around bugs, of course!) and I really do not want to see this squandered, so I sincerely hope that CW will pull through what looks to me like a crisis in its strategic course.

Now what was the original question ? Oh, yes ... some boring techy stuff about MIDI ports, whatever they are.

Christopher,

The intended tone of words that aren't spoken face to face can often be misinterpreted. My comments were not intended to be patronising so I apologise that they appeared that way to you. I think the irony in all of this is that, reading your post quoted above, I think we are actually saying much the same thing. They can't do everything so they have to choose what's important. Your point, if I'm not mistaken, is that they have chosen to put their resources into the wrong (less important) things. While I'm not so sure I entirely agree with that I could certainly be wrong.

I don't consider myself an apologist for Cakewalk but I suspect our difference of opinion really just boils down to the fact that I still have more faith in them than you do. Time will tell whether or not my faith is misplaced.
post edited by pjl - 2008/04/21 08:05:21

chaunceyc
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/12/11 02:59:52 (permalink)
Here's hoping there is a fix for this sooner than later. I thought I was losing my mind until I found this thread.

I'm using Sonar Producer 8, and have gone through numerous midi controllers over the years since the Pro Audio days and every version of Sonar since v1.0

It is exasperating to open a project from a year ago and have all of your midi ports pointing to the wrong synths because a piece of hardware dropped out of your setup or an additional one was added.

I've set up my templates repeatedly with Midi Omni in-- all devices all channels. This works for awhile, but sometimes a device has a problem and doesn't show up --BOOM, the inputs revert to something random. I had them set to Omni all devices on every single instrument track so I could utilize any keyboard or controller on any highlighted track. Today I added an additional midi USB device, and Sonar decided to switch every single track from OMNI to just the first device--I have to reset the midi in port manually to use any other device. This impacts every single project, new and old. My template is now screwed up as well. It gets worse, because often after this happens and I've reset ports, I'm finding that Midi input is coming in fine (according to the keyboard in the system tray), but the midi track refuses to acknowledge any data coming in from that or any port (OMNI or otherwise). I've easily had this happen a dozen times since Sonar 8. Reassigning the port back to omni or even to the specific midi in port has no effect. I have to reboot Sonar to get it back. Maddening!!!

The synth assignments are very easy to throw out of whack with the new "instrument track." Midi tracks get re-pointed randomly from one soft synth track to another. I have zero faith that I can simply open a recent project and render it without going over everything with a fine toothed comb. The comments about notebooks and binders and writing down settings are spot on--having to manually tweak and re-tweak these sorts of settings in a project is unacceptible.

Please keep this on the very front burner. Thank you. I really do love Sonar, but these kind of issues seem to go on and on, based on this thread.

PC AudioLabs Rokbox 7 (Core i7 3.40GHz, Gigabyte Z-68, 20 GB Ram, Windows 10 64-bit), MOTU 2408 Mk II / PCI-424, UAD-2. Sonar Professional,

Soulphonic Soundsystem (soulphonicsound.com)
Convincing Woodgrain | Portland USA
nujazz/brokenbeat/neo-soul/downtempo/deep house
www.soundcloud.com/chaunceyc
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/12/11 03:16:12 (permalink)

If the manufacturer provides a driver - use it, even though the generic Windows driver works. At least it will get a unique device name that way.

Unless it's the driver for the E-MU 2x2 which totally screws up Sonar's ability to 'remember' the port and won't enable it when you start Sonar, regardless of whether it was enabled on last shut down or not. The fix for the problem is to remove the E-MU driver and install the Windows generic instead.

I can't say I've had Sonar re-assign MIDI ports without some provocation, i.e. I forget to wait until Windows has booted before turning on my BCF, but when it does happen I agree it is a real pain. Synths being played by the drum track is interesting to say the least. Some sort of correlation between friendly names and port number would be a good feature.
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/12/11 03:35:32 (permalink)
Hi All-

I haven't (re-)read every post in this thread since April, but a definite +1 for better handling of MIDI ports.

One of my main gripes is that I often have my Frontier Tranzport assigned as the input and/or output for MIDI tracks when I open a project. It's a fine and very useful device, but not as either input or output for a MIDI track. I have to select all the MIDI tracks and change the I/O.

SONAR needs to add a way to distinguish b/w MIDI Controllers/Surfaces and what we actually use for MIDI I/O on tracks. And yes, I always have my "real" MIDI interface (MOTU Ultralite) turned on first!

-Susan (PE 8.02)

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
pianodano
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/12/11 09:44:34 (permalink)
Some sort of correlation between friendly names and port number would be a good feature.

User "friendly" names were added in Sonar 6. I have renamed mine which makes it somewhat easier to keep track of ports, but the midi port reordering problem still exists.

Fwiw, I was certain that the expanded fix and feature list that was published for Sonar 8 on this forum mentioned in the fine print that this problem was finally addressed. Guess not huh ?

For anyone with a whole lot of ports, it is exasperating.

Susan,

My Tranzport also gets ressigned with all the rest of my ports and it sometimes becomes a track input device. When it does, pressing play on the tranzport results in a "BLIP" sound here.

Danny
post edited by pianodano - 2008/12/11 09:47:40

Best,

Danny

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
RE: Locking MIDI port assignments 2008/12/11 10:07:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pianodano

Some sort of correlation between friendly names and port number would be a good feature.

User "friendly" names were added in Sonar 6. I have renamed mine which makes it somewhat easier to keep track of ports, but the midi port reordering problem still exists.

Danny

I'm aware that the friendly names feature exists but it doesn't correlate to port numbers. i.e. I have one of my MIDI ports called "Drum Machine" which normally corresponds to MIDI port 2 on my system. When they do get mixed up the "Drum Machine" name still exists but may now be assigned to port 8 while my drum machine is still on port 2. It only happens occasionally but when it does it's a royal pain.

If I've moved my drum machine to a different physical MIDI port I can accept that but when I haven't touched anything it's annoying to say the least.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1