Helpful ReplyLooking for Audio Interface to run Sonar

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/27 03:17:47 (permalink)
Downloading manuals for the products I don't have sounds like a great idea, also I have very limited time. Full time day job, mastering of my album on top of moving from one computer to another and installing hundreds of plugins. It is very time consuming.

Anyone who looks on the back of the interface can answer this simple question. It looks like serial port used for printers in the past. Something must be connected to it in order to connect TRS. Look at any pro audio interface and you will see it. I don't understand why there are no pictures of that connector or splitter or box or what ever we would need to connect what we need. I cant find it now but look on the back picture of this [link=https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StuPatch6425]https://www.sweetwater.co..ore/detail/StuPatch6425[/link]

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/27 05:22:32 (permalink)
It is a DB25 connector and you would need something like this to plug in:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DA88BQ5

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/27 05:44:04 (permalink)
It's simply an analog multicable. I agree that a patchbay is a very simple thing, just a bunch of connectors. 750 bucks seems like a lot to spend on one but I can't look in your wallet. I understand your apprehension towards Behringer. This is just a bunch of sockets in a box though. ART also makes cheaper to medium level gear but again, it's just a bunch of connectors.

I wouldn't hook up your mic preamps to the patchbay by the way. Might run into trouble with phantom power etc. But almost every interface has at least one mic preamp at the front so I figured you'd be using that.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/27 14:58:33 (permalink)
vladasyn
Downloading manuals for the products I don't have sounds like a great idea, also I have very limited time. Full time day job, mastering of my album on top of moving from one computer to another and installing hundreds of plugins. It is very time consuming.

You always seem to think others have all the time in the world to answer your endless repetitive questions, the answer to which is often a look at the manual or a google search away though. What makes you think others have the time to hold your bad-tempered hand through the most basic stuff only to be rewarded by being rudely dismissed.

You're blocked. Gooodbye.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/27 15:13:22 (permalink)
The Behringer products are fairly priced and the mike preamps are very nice quality.  Well worth the time checking them out at your local music store and the investment.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/28 01:01:25 (permalink)
tlw, answering is optional. I appreciate you taking time to answer my question or post your opinion. It was noted. Also if somebody already knows the answer, they may as well share it with me and save me some time.

The Patchbay does not feel right. It never did. Spending $3k does not feel right either, but I have a day job for something! Improving my studio is what makes me happy. So I may be waiting for the Thunderbolt card drivers and buy MOTU or for Presonus driver update. Thank you for the tip on DB25. This is very helpful. I would not know how to search for it without definition. Thanks.

Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/28 03:41:59 (permalink)
I've got an old RME BabyFace and it's great. Amazing drivers and solid as a rock. There's a new one now:

https://www.sweetwater.co.store/detail/BabyfacePro

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/28 11:30:09 (permalink)
Before jumping into something new, why not trying to install the Unsigned drivers from Presonus?

There are several places that detail how to do this online.  Here is one:
https://en.code-bude.net/2015/08/19/how-to-install-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-10/

I personally got rid of an old Presonus Firepod because the driver did not work in Windows 10.  It WOULD install, then only let me see two channels.  I ended up with 18in x 18out Behringer XR-18.  If you need more I/O there is the X32.
I am OK with 18 channels in/out.  It works well with me.

Just my 2 cents.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/28 19:16:59 (permalink)
Cannot recommend RME highly enough. I have been using them since the Hammerfall series - maybe 16 years ago.  I love them.  My FF800 is long gone in the current line up, but they put out new (and super fast) drivers frequently.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/29 01:39:35 (permalink)
Patm300e, I appreciate the link. This was done over and over (installing the unsigned drivers attempts). I had to reinstall Windows 12 times over this. The only thing I did not do at the end was to install earlier version of Windows 10, which I regret because I got the disk with early version, but then I gave up. It was 2 weeks fight. I am actually not 100% sure that it is drivers signing issue, because it does not work with "Unsigned" mode using your method. Presonus wants to believe it is drivers signing but they don't care much and did not really try to solve it. I had strangers on Toms Hardware and KVR Audio helping me much more than Presonus who is responsible for the drivers. They were sounding frustrated that I wanted to fix it, did not reply to e-mails with reports of what we have tried and were just not interested. They did not even tell- they will personally let me know if they release updated drivers- just told me to check the news section of their web site. The problem is that the driver gets installed, computer sees the Mixer, it even forced it to update Firmware on the mixer, and installed new firmware, but Audio is not going through. Just dead. Somebody suggested that it may be Bandwidth of motherboard. Contacted Asus, their supervisor was supposed to report it to Engineers and get back with me, but they never did. People just disappear when I report this problem.

I heard several RME recommendations. It must be good. It just looks boring. And expansive. How is it compared to Universal Audio and MOTU? (wondering). Thank you.

eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/29 07:50:49 (permalink)
Perhaps a stupid question, but, are you using the Windows Legacy FW driver? My non-AI 16.4.2 works fine with the legacy FireWire driver, and not at all with the new driver Win 10 keeps trying to install.
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/29 07:53:18 (permalink)
I also ditched my Presonus for the X32 Rack. I was so impressed with the X32 I got for my PA, I bought a second one with a S16 for my studio setup. :-)
vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/29 13:01:22 (permalink)
Not stupid question at all. Great question. Took us several days of research to find that Legacy driver. With Win 10 driver that installs for the FW card by Windows I had no connection at all. With Legacy driver, it was revelation. It connected and went on to update Firmware on Presonus. I was so happy, I posted on 2 forums that the problem solved- everybody was ready to celebrate... until I started Sonar, and... again- all dead. No audio. If your driver was installed before Julu 2016 Windows update (0716), the driver will work, if after... See- I was ready to install April 2016 version of Windows but then I didnt and now I only have to wonder if it would help. At this point I installed too many synths to go back and reinstall just to see what happens. Presonus needs to step up to the plate and update the driver and sign it, and if it does not work, then address what ever else can cause it. Been trying to shake Asus as well, but their chain of command is complecated- hard to get to manager, and even harder to programmers.  

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/29 13:45:42 (permalink)
I invested many many hours and days into assisting Vlada with her issues with her Presonus Fire Wire interface, and after an absolutely insane number of attempts to get it working in Sonar, ended up at an impasse because the technical support folks at Presonus adopted the position that the issues were with Windows 10 and they essentially refused to budge on that point - providing ZERO additional support for the issue, DESPITE the Presonus web site clearly indicating that they provided support for that interface and set of drivers for Windows 10.

If Presonus had cared to participate further in the investigative process it might have ended up being some simple kind of thing to fix - Vlada may well never know now, one way or the other, but for CERTAIN seems to now have a useless 'anchor' that cost at least a couple of thousand dollars - maybe closer to 3k (can't recall how much the interface cost).

I truly wish I knew of a way to help Vlada further with her Presonus issues, but unless Presonus were to decide to actually invest some effort into analysis and resolution, I think her likely only viable option is to have to dump a ton more cash into somebody ELSE's mixer/interface.

I myself still have a Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL (well, my son is using it these days), and have had good support experiences with their technical support, but after seeing how they punted on her SUPPORTED device, I don't know that I would end up choosing their hardware for future purchases.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/29 20:11:25 (permalink)
vladasyn

I heard several RME recommendations. It must be good. It just looks boring. And expansive. How is it compared to Universal Audio and MOTU? (wondering). Thank you.

Hi. I give another vote for RME. It might look boring (to you), but it just works.
That's the "magic" It is just that good 
I've had mine for close to 2 years without a single glitch. 
I tried both MOTU (828 mkIII) and UAD (Twin Solo) before getting RME. The RME just felt right from the get go, and I have not looked back.
Best of luck.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Sanderxpander
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/29 21:58:57 (permalink)
I would recommend a Digico SD7 with MADI and an Antelope Goliath on the computer side. This because it
1. Is very expensive
2. Is very professional
3. Is not boring looking
4. Has Thunderbolt
5. Doesn't say Behringer OR RME on it anywhere
6. Is a lot more gear than is actually necessary for the stated purpose
7. Will impress the studio partner
vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 02:08:50 (permalink)
Thank you for your replies. Hey, Bob.

Zargg, I just searched for MOTU 828 and came across Sweetwater forum thread dealing with drivers issues all the way back on Vista and XP- it was like a flashback to the XP days. Ugh. What a nightmare. So folks were commenting that MOTU is better for Mac users while RME- for PC. Probably generalization. I have MOTU MIDI interface, looks like it working ok. I hope MOTU improved from times of 828.
 What did you not like about UAD (Twin Solo)? Thank you.

Sanderxpander, it is funny. I cant even understand the lengo for Digigo. Looks like they don't want immatures to get ahold of it. I see too many inputs that I know nothing about. Does it even have computer connection? Just curious.

I watched few videos on RME. When I say it is boring...
1. The RME Fireface UFX+ is pricey and not meeting my needs, because...
2. It has 4 ports TRS/XLR on front and 8 on the back, but does it sum to 12 or does it sum to 8?I don't understand why manufacturers like to play games and not say things straight. Can all 12 inputs work together or not? Or is it only front OR back at a time? It classifies as "Boring" for me because anyone can make 8 inputs interface in one rack space. But if I want to pay $2700, it must be at least 12 inputs. Not sure if it is or not.
3. I don't see any ability to connect multiple units. Looks like what you got is what you will have to keep for long time. It does not say that I can chain connect 2 or more units via Thunderbolt. MOTU and AUD offer that option and they have 16 In/outs TRS unit to add on to main interface.  
4. No Plugins
5. Looks like Presonus- are they connected?
post edited by vladasyn - 2017/03/30 02:36:32

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 04:10:03 (permalink)
vladasyn

I watched few videos on RME. When I say it is boring...
1. The RME Fireface UFX+ is pricey and not meeting my needs, because...
2. It has 4 ports TRS/XLR on front and 8 on the back, but does it sum to 12 or does it sum to 8?I don't understand why manufacturers like to play games and not say things straight. Can all 12 inputs work together or not? Or is it only front OR back at a time? It classifies as "Boring" for me because anyone can make 8 inputs interface in one rack space. But if I want to pay $2700, it must be at least 12 inputs. Not sure if it is or not.
The rear inputs are numbered 1 thru 8 and are balanced TRS. The front inputs are numbered 9 thru 12 and are mic pre/TRS combos. All 12 can used at the same time.

3. I don't see any ability to connect multiple units. Looks like what you got is what you will have to keep for long time. It does not say that I can chain connect 2 or more units via Thunderbolt. MOTU and AUD offer that option and they have 16 In/outs TRS unit to add on to main interface.  

There are two sets of adat ins/outs via toslink. This allows expansion via the use of two separate 8 channel mic pre to adat converters. That's 16 additional channels right there. Plus the 12 on-board analog inputs gives you 24 input channels which can all be used at once. The AES/EBU gives you two more digital inputs if you've got a device that speaks that language. It also has MADI in and out which would give you access to 32 more inputs and 32 more outputs via a MADI device. That gives you the ability to have just shy of 60 inputs available at once. 

4. No Plugins
It has on-board effects that can be used on all inputs channels.
5. Looks like Presonus- are they connected?

No idea.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 04:25:57 (permalink)
Thank you for your reply and explanation. The 8 Pre is 2600$. Just saying. I hate to say it but Presonus mixer offer better deal. But there was something about AVB interface being only available for Macs? Could be interesting to connect it to Universal Audio AVB...

Zargg
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 11:07:20 (permalink)
vladasyn

Zargg, I just searched for MOTU 828 and came across Sweetwater forum thread dealing with drivers issues all the way back on Vista and XP- it was like a flashback to the XP days. Ugh. What a nightmare. So folks were commenting that MOTU is better for Mac users while RME- for PC. Probably generalization. I have MOTU MIDI interface, looks like it working ok. I hope MOTU improved from times of 828.
 What did you not like about UAD (Twin Solo)? Thank you.

It was not that I didn't like the UAD Twin, I just liked the RME better.
I use external preamps, by the way.

You can connect multiple RME's, however you like (USB, FW, TB, Pcie (and even mix and match, I believe)).
They (separate AI's) will (if I am not totally misunderstanding) get their own TotalMix Window.
I have not heard of any "horror stories" with RME and Mac (or pc) for as long as I have been reading audio forums, so I guess they are more or less equally stable on both platforms.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 11:13:05 (permalink)
You started off the thread saying you did not want to give your money to Presonus because of their crumby support. 

Earlier in the thread you said you need 1 mic, 1 guitar and 10 synth inputs. The RME box does that on its own. You also said you mostly use Kontakt and soft synths these days. That means you need something that can do low latency. Again, the RME boxes are known for that. 

But then above you said yeah but the UFX isn't expandable if I want more inputs. Which I corrected. And to that you say yeah sure ok its expandable but I think the presonus mixer is a better deal. To my reading, you're looking for an audio interface with some mixer functions tacked on (RME), not a mixer with some audio interface functions tacked on which is what the Presonus mixer is. But I'm only going on what you've written so perhaps your focus has shifted since then?

At any rate, it sounds like you've made up your mind. Best of luck.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

Sanderxpander
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 12:46:28 (permalink)
Hence my last post.
vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 13:30:41 (permalink)
Johan, I like your cat!

I did say I need 10 synths (at least), which is 20 inputs in stereo as each synth takes 2 inputs. And that is without being future proof. I can always buy more synths. Right now I have all 24 channels taken on Presonus, and my electronic drum set cables laying on the floor somewhere behind the desk, as well as few more synths. RME box will let me connect 1 mic, 1 guitar and 5 synths. Or- 4 synths and Presonus from Output to Input on RME... May be I should call RME and ask about dependability.
 You can connect multiple RME's, however you like (USB, FW, TB, Pcie (and even mix and match, I believe)).

Not sure what you mean. You mean- connect to the computer via different inputs? Like one to Thunderbolt, another to USB? And what PCIE? 
Thank you. 

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 15:01:59 (permalink)
Well, trying to follow this thread and it seems to me a good way to go (with all the external synth inputs) is a separate, analog mixer (even line mixer) fed into a garden variety interface with several inputs.  You are making life hard by trying to find a 24 input interface with effects and little latency and that runs out of the box and is cheap.  I guess so, but you are really stacking up the qualifiers. And one thing I've learned, every piece of hardware added to a system is a potential source of problems. 

My old TC 48 interface might match your qualifications, although you would need an ADAT AD to get up to the 22 inputs.  It has 12 AD inputs including 4 mic pres, 1 x ADAT and Spdif each.   The latency was down below 4 ms via FW.  And it has great, usable effects.  And it should be stackable with other TC stuff, tho I've never tried that.

Re:  RME hardware.  Their early stuff used to be modular - you bought a pci card with various analog/digital connectors on it and daughter cards, then added ADDA.  Now they are mostly MADI and USB which plug into your computer and their hardware units come with digital in/outs for further expansion (or via MADI, Dante).

Re: Presonus.  A long time ago I had their original FireStation unit.  It was great - the first affordable 8 track digital interface, but Yamaha built it (I think) and definitely wrote the FireWire (mLan) drivers.  After a year or so they updated the Station and bricked my unit (and others) with a firmware upgrade for it.  I ended up kicking up a fuss about the time of one of the major trade shows, writing online about both companies products (as well as to the Presidents of both companies).  The next week I was contacted by both.  And fortunately, both companies were coming out with new units and so they tried to make me happy (and shut me up) and I got the better deal on a new Firepod from Presonus.  So I don't have anything bad to say about them, since as far as I could tell their hardware got shafted by Yamaha mLAN drivers.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Zargg
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 15:14:03 (permalink)
vladasyn

Not sure what you mean. You mean- connect to the computer via different inputs? Like one to Thunderbolt, another to USB? And what PCIE? 
Thank you. 

Yes, you can connect one via TB and one via USB as an example.
There are some (*older as well) Pcie RME cards (*that have been updated to the latest drivers).
https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/overview_pci_express.php

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

Sanderxpander
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 15:51:22 (permalink)
Re: an analog mixer - that was basically my idea of a patchbay. While a mixer may be more convenient because you can leave its output plugged into your interface, it adds, as you say, a potential source of problems and at the very least will add a slight amount of noise and coloration.

Regardless, I feel Vladasyn has basically made up her mind to do whatever she wants, which is completely within her rights of course.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 16:21:50 (permalink)
vladasyn
Johan, I like your cat!

I did say I need 10 synths (at least), which is 20 inputs in stereo as each synth takes 2 inputs. And that is without being future proof. I can always buy more synths. Right now I have all 24 channels taken on Presonus, and my electronic drum set cables laying on the floor somewhere behind the desk, as well as few more synths. RME box will let me connect 1 mic, 1 guitar and 5 synths.

I see what you mean. The RME would definitely require additional hardware in order to do what you're trying to do.

An original RME UFX and a pair Behringer ADA800's would cost you less than the UFX+ and would then give you up to 28 inputs for synths. Not as ideal a solution as one box that does it all I realize. But to be fair, a one box 28 input audio interface solution is going to be hard to find. Digital mixers can do it, but digital mixers are generally built to be mixers with the audio interface as an afterthought. Per your original post, you're doing a lot with Kontakt these days. Is a digital mixer going to handle a couple instances of Kontakt plus what ever plugs you need with no latency issues?

From what you describe of your needs, I think I'd give up looking for one box that can handle all your synths and any you add later. Why spend all that money to have a ton of boxes all hooked up at once when you yourself say you don't really use most of them all that much anymore? I think I'd be in the market for a decent audio interface with a great latency specs and a reasonable number of ins and outs. And then I'd get one or two $100 DBX patch bays. Hook up 8 or 10 ins from the I/O box on one end and all your synths on the other and call it a day.

When you want to mess with the old PolySix, you plug in two patch cables and let it rip. On this project you're thinking the old CZ101 is the perfect tone? No problem, two patch cables and you're done. Simple, elegant and as easily expandable as it gets.

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/03/30 18:39:37 (permalink)
With RME you need to consider the long-term costs vs other platforms.  I had a hammerfall for ages.  They supported new drivers long after the Hammerfall was not in their current  product offering.  I now have 2 FF800s.  Those have long been discontinued, but new drivers come out constantly.  

I  had used MOTU before upgrading to RME.  while my issues were few, it was at a time when MOTU was principally a mac platform and the windows stuff seemed to lag as far as updates were concerned.  

RME has a variety of products that work off USB, Firewire (400 and 800) and Thunderbolt.  They also have MADI stuff but I have no experience with MADI so I cannot fairly comment.  

Maybe RME is boring, but it is rock solid and well supported.  There are few interfaces with lower latency than the RME equipment.  In my opinion, they have excelled in low latency drivers.  

I cannot comment on the UAD interfaces.  I do have a couple of PCI cards (2 quads) and was a big user of the UAD 1 platform when it came out.  In my opinion, their plugins are amongst the best out there.  Then again, I am biased.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/04/08 02:04:19 (permalink)
Hey there
I am still considering different options- looking in to Antelope Orion interfaces. Just typed big post, hit wrong button and it all disappeared.
Antelope Audio Orion32+  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Orion32PlusHas 32 line inputs!  

Thunderbolt, USB, and more

The Antelope Audio Orion 32+ utilizes Thunderbolt or USB to connect with Mac and Windows computers. Multiple digital formats, including MADI, ADAT, and S/PDIF.
that is all nice but it has no Preamps? And it has no headphone outputs. This is frustrating. I use headphones for everything. I have ART headphone amp, but why would I want to use 200$ headphone amp to listen $3000 interface?

And then there is Antelope Orion Studio https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OrionStudio
For some reason, this one does not support Thunderbolt on Windows, only Mac. Windows is USB. There is no MADI. So looks like I would have to use ADAT to connect this one and Orion 32+ to get headphones output and Preamps? This makes no sense.

The interesting part is that it has Overloud amp models for reamping, and it has Guitar Output on the front panel that allows to route guitar out for reamping. I record guitars live as in my house it is impossible to keep everybody quiet. So guitar output would not really help me. But watch the viseo on the product page- it talks about guitar recording and reamping. I find it interesting but not sure I can use it. Isn't Cakewalk used to offer discount for Overloud products?

vladasyn
Re: Looking for Audio Interface to run Sonar 2017/04/08 02:37:09 (permalink)
Check this one out" This is new Antelope Goliath audio interface that will be released this summer. This is full package, but out of my price range. Supposed to be 6-7k retail. But looks so awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUdavtR7hq0

And then there will be old Goliath option to consider- may be the price will go down some. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Goliath

New Orion Studio will be shipping in May: http://www.sonicstate.com...refreshed/  

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1