Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2018/02/08 01:41:25 (permalink)
azslow3
Unfortunately, perfectly working combination of Digital Mixer + Sonar does not exist.

The only perfect motorised mixer/daw controller system I ever used was the Yamaha 01x, but unfortunately:
(a) it's been discontinued for a long time and;
(b) it doesn't work natively beyond Vista 32 bit
(c) it's really fussy about firewire chipsets

In saying that, I'm a member of a 01x facebook group and a good number of the members have it working on fine on Windows 10 64 bit (they've even posted a video to show how to set it up)... and you can pick these things up for less than £150. Personally I'm happy with my Mackie MCU & Scarlett 18i20, so I've not bothered messing around with my main setup to get this working. The 01X does however work perfectly on my old laptop running Sonar 8.5 & Vista Business 32 bit, and is a dream to use.

dantarbill
I'm seriously considering picking up a Yamaha 01v96i to replace my first generation 01v.  I know it sounds weird, since even the newest version of this board is now seriously long in the tooth...but I've grown very accustomed to the work flow and would like better converters that go to 96k in addition to inserts and 16 simultaneous channels through USB.  96k seems to be the sticking point...since any other more recent boards in this form factor want to now stop at 48k.  (Behringer/Midas threatened to go there, but they have dropped the ball.)

Does anyone have experience using the 01v96i as a control surface for SPlat?

The Yamaha 01v96i is a good choice, but as you say it's quite old - but AFAIK Yamaha are still selling it. The lack of prominent transport controls and a jog wheel are a bit of a pain. I'm personally not a huge fan of Yamaha pre-amps - nothing wrong with them really, but they're a bit clinical for my taste (also my only gripe with the 01x)... but if you're happy with your existing 01V then you'll be fine.

I guess the choice boils down to how much you need an outboard mixer, and how integrated you really need it.

If you're happy with using the mixer for recording and then letting Sonar take over once it's recorded, I'd suggest:

1. Use any digital mixer with an ADAT output for recording.
2. Use something like the Mackie MCU / Behringer XTouch / Icon / Presonus Faderport for mixing thereafter.

If your really need a more integrated setup, then current choices I know of are the Yamaha 01v96i and Behringer X32 - but neither are what I'd call "fully" integrated.

If you're happy with discontinued gear, there's the Yamaha 01X which has the most complete integration I've come across (assuming you can get it working ok on Win10 64bit) and Behringer DDX3216 with ADAT option (not nearly as integrated and beware of PSU failures on this one).

However if all you're wanting is a tactile controller and can forego the motorised faders, the Kork NanoKontrol Studio is very cheap and works a treat.

M.
MakerDP
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2018/02/08 01:56:26 (permalink)
FWIW, I am LOVING my Presonus Faderport 8... I'm sure the 16 is twice as good! 

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2018/02/08 09:46:52 (permalink)
msmcleod
azslow3
Unfortunately, perfectly working combination of Digital Mixer + Sonar does not exist.

The only perfect motorised mixer/daw controller system I ever used was the Yamaha 01x, but unfortunately:

I have tried to explain general problem in that post. In short, to make "perfect combination":
Digital Mixer should:
1) expose all internal parameters to the DAW (that part exist in almost all DMs)
2) in "DAW mode" allow to use ALL hardware controls decoupled from internal mixer parameters, without local feedback and with direct, "layout independent", transfer of corresponding messages to the DAW
On the DAW side:
1) ability to use "DAW mode" (and part also exist)
2) special module which allows controlling the Mixer from within the DAW, somehow dependent but decoupled from the project track/buses

MakerDP
FWIW, I am LOVING my Presonus Faderport 8... I'm sure the 16 is twice as good! 

Presonus currently tries to move in that direction, I have seen "beta firmware" which announce that.
But there are several points which I do not like:
1) paranoid closed solutions.
2) Quantum declarations about on-board mixing
3) relatively fast changing of concepts, without long living compatibility.
I mean Apple like strategy.
I do not see it as bad for tablets and phones, but I see it as a problem for audio equipment.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
MakerDP
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2018/02/08 16:04:26 (permalink)
Well you can dislike Presounus all you want... all I know is I wish I never wasted my time and money with SONAR.

Studio One Professional plus my FaderPort 8 is, for me, a FAR better setup than SONAR ever was for me.

Talk about "paranoid closed solutions"... the whole point of this thread is that SONAR has embarrassingly pathetic support for control surfaces.

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2018/02/09 16:40:52 (permalink)
MakerDP
Well you can dislike Presounus all you want... all I know is I wish I never wasted my time and money with SONAR.
Studio One Professional plus my FaderPort 8 is, for me, a FAR better setup than SONAR ever was for me.

I have not written I dislike it. For that, I had to use it for a while (and I have not).
And if someone has found it as own perfect solution, that is great.

Talk about "paranoid closed solutions"... the whole point of this thread is that SONAR has embarrassingly pathetic support for control surfaces.

Sonar could (and can) work with ANY known digital mixer as a control surface, and not only when the mixer is in (normally limited) DAW mode.
Compare what Yamaha01v, Roland VM-7200, A&H Qu, etc can do in Sonar with what they can do in Studio One. You will be surprised to find the situation is reversed as long as the mixer does not have "Presonus" label on it.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1