Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hydemusic
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
2016/10/21 10:45:17 (permalink)

Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09.

I would like to kill my mouse and go with a console that has motorized faders with automation to mix my music. I'm looking for something with  at least 16, preferably 24 motorized faders to mix my music. I'm old school having worked years with a tape machine and a console and a "touchy feely" guy. I just can't get used to mixing in a box. I once had a Roland VS2480 before I went to DAW. When I did, I started with Sonar4?? (many versions ago) and I used the VS2480 via midi to mix. I sold that unit years ago and was waiting for a digital mixer to what I wanted at a reasonable price, under $3000. I once bought an used Tascam DM2400 and it just never worked right and after some conversations with Sonar(before Tascam) I returned it. I now see digital mixers with motorized faders hitting the market like the Soundcraft SI Expression3, Yamaha TF 1/2/3 and Presonus StudioLive Series III.
They all talk of live recording but don't mention about using them with a DAW (Sonar) for mixing from the DAW. Anyone has some knowledge to share with an old fart would be greatly appreciated 

Bob N
Sonar Platinum, 2016.09
Windows 10 64 bit, v1670
Intel DZ68DB, I7-2700k, 16gb 
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SS
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 + 18i20 (2nd gen)
Cakewalk A800 Pro Keyboard Controler

34 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/21 11:36:01 (permalink)
    What you might be looking for is called a control surface. 
    A mixer would be overkill unless it's also your audio interface in/out. 
    This might be why your not seeing what your after. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/21 11:37:09 (permalink)
    if you are looking for a cost effective digi mixer that works as DAW controller, you could go with the Behringer X32. Excellent piece for what it costs. DAW control is limited, though, mostly due to Sonar's limited support for MCU protocol.

If you are just after a control surface, there are not many options as they did not sell too well and hence the bigger ones (>8 faders) are disappearing from the market again ... e.g. see here: http://forum.cakewalk.com...udio-700-m3495348.aspx

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/21 11:53:26 (permalink)
    I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but...

I'm seriously considering picking up a Yamaha 01v96i to replace my first generation 01v.  I know it sounds weird, since even the newest version of this board is now seriously long in the tooth...but I've grown very accustomed to the work flow and would like better converters that go to 96k in addition to inserts and 16 simultaneous channels through USB.  96k seems to be the sticking point...since any other more recent boards in this form factor want to now stop at 48k.  (Behringer/Midas threatened to go there, but they have dropped the ball.)

Does anyone have experience using the 01v96i as a control surface for SPlat?

Dan Tarbill
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/21 12:07:12 (permalink)
    Off-topic. I think "Sonar needs" some solution for multichannel Digital Mixers with surface part, but hosts think that "a sampler" is more Sonar related then this question. I personally do not understand that logic...

Back to the topic.
    Unfortunately, perfectly working combination of Digital Mixer + Sonar does not exist. Most Mixers are not thought to be used as DAW controllers, I think that post explains what I mean: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=15488&sid=a32a310a309820635f109598ac2eb6a7#p15488
    I have checked documentation for mixers you was mentioning and all of them can not be used as Sonar controllers. So motorized faders, knobs, buttons, etc. can be used to change parameters inside the mixer but not inside Sonar (or any other DAW).

Some other mixers have:
    a) special "DAW control" mode, normally limited (f.e. only 8 channels, even if the mixer has more controls)
    b) MIDI protocol, usually supposed to control the mixer from something else like iPad app, not in other direction.

Out of the box, Sonar support only Mackie Control protocol. Limiting the number of devices which can be used. No HUI (ProTools), no custom modules for (b).
    Third party solutions can be used for (b), f.e. I have plug-in which can work with A&H Q seria. But these mixers do not transfer "fader touch" and send low resolution values, not the best option to control DAW (but in case your primary use for the mixer is live, with recording into Sonar, that is an option).

The only combination for ~$3-4k, which has 8+ good fully functional in Sonar touch sensitive faders and good stable audio input for recording, is Mackie Control (+ extenders for more then 8 channels) as a separate control surface and RME UFX as an audio interface (in fact it is more "rack digital mixer" with steering from computer). Note that such combination will not work without computer and has limited number of channels.
    More or less success reports for modern Digital Mixer with limited DAW mode working in Sonar, I have seen Behringer X32 only.
    And finally already mentioned A&H Q, if you are ready to scarify advanced functionality in DAW for compactness and the number of channels.

RME UFX in the first proposal can be replaces with modern MOTU interfaces or any Digital Mixer in "an audio interface" mode. The advantage of an audio interface is the possibility to control everything from computer (gain, routing, etc.) while the advantage of Digital Mixer is user friendly stand alone use. Also RME/MOTU can work with low latency, while Digital Mixers will have moderate till big latency for reliable operations.

But... I personally have never seen any digital mixer, RME interface nor Mackie control unit other the on pictures in Internet. But I know HOW any device communicate with Sonar, that is why I have replied

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    azslow3
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/22 18:29:30 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    if you are looking for a cost effective digi mixer that works as DAW controller, you could go with the Behringer X32. Excellent piece for what it costs. DAW control is limited, though, mostly due to Sonar's limited support for MCU protocol.

I think it is other way... X32 does not emulate complete MCU + XTs, just a part of one MCU (so, 8 channels):
    https://musicgroup-prod.mindtouch.us/04_BEHRINGER/X32-_Can_The_Console_Be_Used_As_A_Control_Surface_For_A_DAW%3F
    MCU "protocol" is rather simple, Sonar implementation is complete according to public documentation. Also Sonar supports XT and C4 modules.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/22 21:11:11 (permalink)
    I'm saving up for a Tascam DM-4800.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/22 22:45:47 (permalink)
    One option is to go down the touch tablet+DAW control app road.

V-Control on ipad works OK with Sonar using Mackie control, but you only get to control 8 channels at a time (you can have as many Sonar tracks as you like, the app splits them into groups of 8 which you can then move between). Apple have Logic Remote which does a similar thing only dedicated to Logic Pro, I've thought for a while it might be a good idea for Cakewalk to develop a similar application dedicated to controlling Sonar.

There's also the possibility of using a full-blown touch screen monitor to host Sonar's console view.

Touch isn't quite the same as a desk with real, none virtual controls, but it's far closer to hardware console mixing than using a mouse - you can move more then one fader or pot at a time for a start, and the track limit is however many tracks the DAW/computer can cope with not how many faders a control surface has.

To get something towards the same sort of functions a touch-screen monitor (or even tablet app) can provide there's things like SSL's Nucleus2 but it costs a heck of a lot more than a tablet or a touch screen. And even if it works with Sonar would still not provide the level of control Sonar's console view on a touch-screen would have.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/22 23:19:01 (permalink)
    Anyone interested in a SSL Nucleus ? Do some research and PM if interested in one.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    azslow3
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/23 05:41:06 (permalink)
    Leadfoot
    I'm saving up for a Tascam DM-4800.

Good point.
    I do not know why, but there are not so many discussions about DM and Sonar. In general I have seen several "success stories" about DM-3200. Op has mentioned his failure with DM-2400...
    From the specification, DM-3200 should be able to work as MCU+XT (so, 16 channels). DB-4800 is marked as "discontinued" and I have not found (specific for this model) DAW control documentation for it.

Rbh
    Anyone interested in a SSL Nucleus ? Do some research and PM if interested in one.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/SSL-Nucleus-with-Sonar-X1-from-the-horses-mouth-m2378785.aspx
    From what I know, everything written here is still valid. On Nucleus2 page, they do not mention Sonar...
    MCU + XT + 2x2 Dante interface. If someone think 2x2 Dante interface from SSL is worse $3k, the price of the device is reasonable...

tlw
    One option is to go down the touch tablet+DAW control app road.

Tablets do not have hardware faders. If I have understood OP correctly, that was the reason for the question.
    But that is a good point to TRY what surface will be able to do with Sonar, these Applets and all hardware surfaces (including X32, DM-3200, SSL Nucleus, etc.) use the same software on Sonar side. And so the functionality is EXACTLY EQUIVALENT.

hydemusic
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/23 08:58:37 (permalink)
    To all who have replied, I thank you. You have confirmed what I've suspected all along. In an industry of professional and home recordists, one would think think that manufacturers would develop a system that would incorporate a recorder(DAW) and a console with motorized faders that would automate. Some DAWs do. Obviously Sonar is not one of them. I see companies as Presonus introduce their Presonus StudioLive Series III and I start to salivate . They have their own software and I have to start questioning " Do I really need Sonar as my my DAW"...... Another alternative I would be comfortable with is an analog console which I currently have, Yamaha RM800-24, a real workhorse. The only problem with that is all the Motherboards today abandoned PCI slots. M-Audio used to make a PCI card, the Delta 1010LT had 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs. You could link up to 4 cards. I had 3 for 24 track mixing out of Sonar. But alas when Sonar introduced 64 bit, I upgraded my OS W8, 64 bit and motherboard for faster CPU with faster and greater RAM capacity 16-32 GB, the PCI slots only had one. MBs were using the smaller PCI-Express slots. Companies now offer USB multi input audio interfaces. I bought 2 Focusrite 18i20 to do 16 track simultaneous recording with my desktop or remotely with my laptop. If I can find a way to get Sonar to see analog outputs on the 18i20, I could at least mix using the analog faders on my console.......I was hoping with today's technology, there would be choices to do exactly that!  But alas, this industry has left those who do not want to live in a box to jury rigging something different. Personally, I find that unacceptable! If Sonar and other DAWs could agree on some sort of MCU or similar protocol, as they did on MIDI, imagine they growth on DAW and mixer combos?
    azslow3
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/23 11:23:20 (permalink)
    hydemusic
    To all who have replied, I thank you. You have confirmed what I've suspected all along. In an industry of professional and home recordists, one would think think that manufacturers would develop a system that would incorporate a recorder(DAW) and a console with motorized faders that would automate. Some DAWs do.

Which?

Obviously Sonar is not one of them.

At least not yet, while with Tascam they have a chance. But they have tried with Roland and VS-700, the history has shown that was marketing disaster.

I see companies as Presonus introduce their Presonus StudioLive Series III and I start to salivate . They have their own software and I have to start questioning " Do I really need Sonar as my my DAW"......

Yes, it looks like hardware recorders are going to survive current "DAW era". F.e. this Series III: internal recording and controlling from iPad (which I have described as (a) in my first post). But no single word about using it to control any DAW, not even Studio One.

Personally, I find that unacceptable! If Sonar and other DAWs could agree on some sort of MCU or similar protocol, as they did on MIDI, imagine they growth on DAW and mixer combos?

I do not understand you. They have almost agreed on MCU protocol (partially on EUCon). But they prefer to have
    Rack interface/Mixer + Separate Surface + DAW OR Mixer with Surface as one device, sometimes with recorder, near always with a possibility to record into DAW but without the possibility to use Surface part in the DAW. I do not know know why, that make no sense for me (especially since they have communication with iPads, so technically and in software everything is there...).

Cactus Music
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/23 11:49:11 (permalink)
    I think it may be that the way things work today the majority of us are now using automation and need to mix with multiple real faders has become redundant. Eight or even one is all you need to manage in a pass. 
    For me it was a great day ( 1997?) that I started to control the faders on my Yamaha 01v with a simple midi sequencer run on an Atari. Prior to that I had just finished an album with 12 tracks ( seemed like a lot back then)  mixed on a Soundcraft 24 channel board and it took 2 of us to cue the mixes manually and about 30 passes before we would get it right. The mixing session took over a week. But boy we're we proud when we got it down! 

So now it was all automated and you could even make those micro adjustments never worth the bother before. But using the 01v was still out of the box mixing. 
    In 2004 I dabbled in PC with Cakewalk Guitar studio but crappy sound cards and whatnot I stayed with my trusty Atari, Yamaha MD 8 and the 01v for a few years more. 

But thanks to this forum I finally got used to Sonar and with the us1641 I had multi channels too. 
    For me the transition from the 01v automation to Sonars console  was painless. I can map the 01v to Sonar and use the faders via midi to control things but the 01v is to large to sit in front of me so for the sake of simplicity I use the mouse which to me is not a big issue. Sure faders would be better and someday if the right product came along I'd think about it. But money needs to be spent on many other things first. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

azslow3
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/23 16:13:25 (permalink)
    A bit off-topic, but the work is in (slow) progress to make 01v map strait to Sonar (to make it work such a way as you would control Sonar the same way and with the same controls/pages you can control one 01v from another)

But OP question is valid: if there is a Digital Mixer, with many touch sensitive hi resolution faders (which are obviously digital, not analog), why producers either "degrade" them to low resolution non sensitive (f.e. A&H Qu) or cut the whole controlling part away (f.e. all mixers mentioned in the first post) when you connect these devices to computer? They WAS NOT cutting that before, they was just sending corresponding messages from old devices (01v is a good example).

dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/23 19:34:29 (permalink)
    azslow3
    A bit off-topic, but the work is in (slow) progress to make 01v map strait to Sonar (to make it work such a way as you would control Sonar the same way and with the same controls/pages you can control one 01v from another)

When you say that work is in progress...is this for the newer 96i version?

There was something available for the 01v that let you control faders and such...but I only toyed with it and haven't made it work in a lot of years.

Who is it that's making this (slow) progress and what version is it for?

Dan Tarbill
    Cactus Music
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/23 22:53:32 (permalink)
    azslow writes programs, and apps for us all the time, so he must be the work in progress. 
    The information and whatnot is found on the 01v Yahoo user group. 
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Yamaha01V/info

Go to this page and scan down you will find the Sonar Files zip

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Yamaha01V/files

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

azslow3
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/24 06:14:13 (permalink)
    dantarbill
    Who is it that's making this (slow) progress and what version is it for?

Cactus Music
    azslow writes programs, and apps for us all the time, so he must be the work in progress. 

I have only several devices, so particular controller integration is always done in cooperation with someone who has it.

For 01v, the "progress" you can find there:  http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,322.0.html
    The subject is a bit misleading. It is about 01v, so old version. Toward the end there are some "test" presets. Everyone is welcome to participate with suggestions/testing.

RishiS
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 224
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/24 10:46:03 (permalink)
    So if I was just looking for a control surface (without a mixer or audio interface), which one gets closest to controlling most part of Sonar, if not all :

Mackie Universal Control
    Behringer X-Touch
    Some thing else ?

azslow3
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/24 12:48:32 (permalink)
    RishiS
    So if I was just looking for a control surface (without a mixer or audio interface), which one gets closest to controlling most part of Sonar, if not all :

Mackie Universal Control
    Behringer X-Touch

These 2 are ABSOLUTELY equivalent in functionality. The difference is in brand/components/design.

Some thing else ?

With motor faders, display and not declared obsolete? Nothing else at the moment.

There is no surfaces which provide "ALL" functionality, not at the moment. Closest to that was VS-700 from Roland, but it is discontinued. EUCON based surfaces should be close to MCU in functionality (which is not "all").

Smaller/simpler devices exists: Presonus Faderport (with original and alternative setup) is nice single strip controller, BCR-2000 (alternative setup) has no faders and no display, but can do many things which no other controller can do (and with 24 encoders is probably unbeatable in number of encoders pro required space ratio).

RishiS
    • Total Posts : 224
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/24 13:14:57 (permalink)
    azslow3
    RishiS

Mackie Universal Control
    Behringer X-Touch

These 2 are ABSOLUTELY equivalent in functionality. The difference is in brand/components/design.

That means its not worth spending an addition 400 bucks on the MCU when the X-touch does the same for 600bucks. Useful info !

Looking at the fader port feedback here and else where, I am thinking if it is worthwhile to wait for the 8 fader version that is expected in Nov. I have a BCF2000 but some navigation buttons have stopped working. So i probably get the single faderport for navigation and use the BCF for the 8 channels.
    listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/10/24 23:31:56 (permalink)
    Wow - I will disagree on VS 700 C usefulness - if you didn't try; it remains useful and one of the best controllers that continues to work with SPLAT.   I guess I am use to it's workflow and have continued to get everything out of it possible until - something better is presented... 

It will be interesting to see what Tascam does...

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    BMOG
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2016/12/19 06:53:03 (permalink)
    dantarbill
    I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but...

I'm seriously considering picking up a Yamaha 01v96i to replace my first generation 01v.  I know it sounds weird, since even the newest version of this board is now seriously long in the tooth...but I've grown very accustomed to the work flow and would like better converters that go to 96k in addition to inserts and 16 simultaneous channels through USB.  96k seems to be the sticking point...since any other more recent boards in this form factor want to now stop at 48k.  (Behringer/Midas threatened to go there, but they have dropped the ball.)

Does anyone have experience using the 01v96i as a control surface for SPlat?

I have the 01v96i and with the help of members in this forum and other professionals I know I have configured Splat to work in a way where I can use the 01v96i to mix which was my goal. I will attempt to outline my setup 
    1. Setup a template in Sonar that maps input tracks 1-16
    2. Setup a template in Sonar that maps output channels back to 01v tracks 1-16
    3. On the 01v setup channels 1-16 as input channels pointing to USB channels inputs in SPlat. Each channel should be setup to use D=Direct not Stereo
    4. On 01v setup channels 16-32 to receive the output from SPlat which is what you will use to mix if you choose.
    ***What is confusing about the 01v is that inputs and outputs use the same name so it kept confusing me when I was setting this up. USB1 Input Channel USB Output Channel***

Example setup
    01v channel 1 is setup to input USB1
    Track 1 in Sonar is setup to use input source of USB1 and output source of USB1
    In Sonar setup an output channel track that is setup to use USB1 
    Back on the 01v track 17 is setup to use input USB1 and use S=Stereo which allows you to hear your track via the main or monitor outputs. 
    With this setup you can play the track in sonar but the 01v is controlling the volume. Nothing happens inside of Sonar but I like having the feel of controlling a mix manually.  Now I like this because you can use plugins in Sonar on the out channels and use effects of the 01v when you mix. You get the best of both worlds in my opinion
    I hope this helps

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
    Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2017/01/07 02:09:45 (permalink)
    The latest Presonus Studiolive 111 are now fully 96k and work with MCU protocol.
    post edited by mudgel - 2017/01/07 02:37:58

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2017/01/07 02:37:09 (permalink)
    The Avid Artist series of control surfaces use the Eucon protocol and according to Craig Anderton's review work quite well with Sonar.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    FLZapped
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2017/01/31 12:35:10 (permalink)
    azslow3

Out of the box, Sonar support only Mackie Control protocol. Limiting the number of devices which can be used. No HUI (ProTools),

The folks over at SSL think the MCU protocol is better and more widely accepted than the HUI protocol.
    davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2017/01/31 12:39:09 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]
    if you are looking for a cost effective digi mixer that works as DAW controller, you could go with the Behringer X32. Excellent piece for what it costs. 

+1 onthe X32. I used it for 2 years in Cubase. the thing works wonderfully (there, at least). 

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    ianj.robertson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2017/02/01 21:28:51 (permalink)
    I have been using the Roland A-300 Pro as my controller. It is good but a little too limiting. I'm interested in the PreSonus Faderport 8.  It looks like it will do the job and suit my workflow style. Has anyone on this forum tested it with Sonar?  I have watched a couple of online reviews and it looks like it will work straight out of the box.
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2017/02/02 03:21:00 (permalink)
    Personally, I'm against killing anyone.... including mice. Unless they're carrying lice or eating your rice or melting your ice. That's just not nice! :-)
    CBJ
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2018/02/06 20:44:32 (permalink)
    Rob at Sound-Rehab posted the following which requires a bit of clarification. 
    In my personal experience the issue is actually in the X32 Behringer & the Midas M32 (which I still own) since they only support 8 channels of integration / automation & not the 24 motorized faders that are on the mixers. After purchasing the M32 I was very disappointed because I was under the impression I was able to use all the faders to control Sonar with at least 24 tracks at a time. Along with the mixer I also purchased an optional DANTE card @ $950 which turned out to be an even bigger disappointment & added expense that I cannot use.

I notified the dealer this week & I am considering returning my M32 Midas along with the DANTE card & buying something that will work as a DAW mixer rather than a live mixer with the DAW integration as an afterthought.

GaryMedia
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re: Looking for a digital mixer with motorized faders to work with SONAR 2016.09. 2018/02/06 21:21:41 (permalink)
    CBJ....Along with the mixer I also purchased an optional DANTE card @ $950 which turned out to be an even bigger disappointment & added expense that I cannot use.

I notified the dealer this week & I am considering returning my M32 Midas along with the DANTE card & buying something that will work as a DAW mixer rather than a live mixer with the DAW integration as an afterthought.

I guess it's easy to get the impression that all 24 faders would work with a DAW. I'm trying to remember why I never had that impression.  Nevertheless I'm very curious about why the X-Dante card cost $950.  I have one in my X32-Core that I use for remote captures/concerts, and it (the X-Dante) cost about half that.  

I'm even more curious about what hinderances you encountered when using the X-Dante expansion.  For example, was it the loss of the USB/MIDI for Mackie Control Protocol, forcing the use of a separate MIDI interface.  Or was it related to the behavior of Dante Virtual Soundcard.  

I'm asking because I'm planning to get a PCIe Dante card at some point for my system.  It's currently a pretty vanilla setup with an M32 and USB attachment.  I'm happy with it, and I'm hoping to make  it extra easy for visiting producers to use my studio infrastructure via Dante connectivity. 

Thanks.

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
    http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1