Looking for an acoustic

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MikeTSH
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 491
2008/08/21 18:58:26 (permalink)

Looking for an acoustic

Can anyone tell me what the model of the acoustic in this video looks like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLzJ_kCbXgg&NR=1

To me it looks like a takamine, but I don't know which model. Cos I love that kind of sound, not dreadnought but sort of thing enough to sound crisp but has that edge.

EDIT: image here

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5959/screencq4.png
post edited by MikeTSH - 2008/08/21 20:03:07

40 Replies Related Threads

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/21 19:52:11 (permalink)
    He was explaining in the clip they were double tracking the acoustic with a high-string, so I wouldn't put too much merit into that guitars actual solo sound.

Acoustics can be tricky...you can find one that sounds good on bottom, but not on top...sounds good with a steady strum, but fall apart when you hit it hard, or only sound good fingerpicked.

I spent the better part of 5-6 years trying to find one that did it all good, and I didn't find anything that cost less than $2K worth a damn. Then one day I walked into GC and sat down with a Martin that was on consignment for only $350....I almost crapped my pants. I didn't have a dime on me...I sold off a few things in 2 days and got it before anyone else did!

If you are looking for a bright sound, Taylors are good; for a more balanced sound Martin or Yari's are great. I'd stay away from anything with a shiny laquer on it if you want a good tone...I also would avoid acoustics with electronics in them unless you plan on gigging with it. I've heard some Takimine's that were OK, but I'm not a fan of them.

One of the biggest problems I found is that the same two guitars back to back will have different sound charachteristics. This is mostly due to the wood quality, and that's where the big money comes in. Back in the 60's Japan bought up a lot of quality wood, so many of the imports are pretty decent. I would pend the better part of a few months trying different acoustics at different shops to get a benchmark of what you are looking for and how much it will cost. Especially if you will be using it for many years to come.
    MikeTSH
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/21 19:59:03 (permalink)
    What do you mean by with a high string (i know what double tracking is). What gauge would those string gauges be. i want to know what guitar model that is and is the way the effect is acheived through changing the gauge of the strings? are ovation any good? i know they're electro acoustics but i dunno. a taylor might be nice actually, can you reccommend a model that can be used to sound and fit in beautifully with the vocals (dreadnoughts sounds awful in this area i've found), i need something bright but fairly full and also tips on how to acheive the effect they were talking about in the clip
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/21 20:51:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MikeTSH

Can anyone tell me what the model of the acoustic in this video looks like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLzJ_kCbXgg&NR=1

To me it looks like a takamine, but I don't know which model. Cos I love that kind of sound, not dreadnought but sort of thing enough to sound crisp but has that edge.

EDIT: image here

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5959/screencq4.png

I give up... I can't find it. Maybe an old Alvarez Takamine or Yamaha.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/21 20:55:41 (permalink)
    It looks like a 12 string set, using only the higher set.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/21 21:03:38 (permalink)
    you might try a taylor with DR strings. i got a 110 (no electronics) and i liked the sound but it was pretty bright with elixirs. got some DR strings and the tone was great. unfortunately i got the action lowered which messed with the intonation and now my strings are old so it doesn't sound as good. i'll have to find someone who really knows what they are doing next time around.

at any rate, the taylor + DR strings are a good combo for a gutsier tone with some edge. kind of a dry woody sound but still with presence and attack.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/21 21:14:26 (permalink)
    can you reccommend a model that can be used to sound and fit in beautifully with the vocals (dreadnoughts sounds awful in this area i've found),

No, because taste is subjective on the listener.

I think you may have an unfair predjudice (sp?) on the dreadnaughts. Many cheaper ones have a thick, boomy sound...sometimes as they age and the wood dries out this problem gets worse.

When you "high-string" an acoustic, you track the guitar naturally, then restring it with the high strings from a 12-string set. Sounds like double work, but the recorded sound turns out better than actually micing a 12-string in most cases. The added benefit is you can mix back the high-string if it's too over the top or during vocals.

I'm also not a big fan of Ovations, I'm sure they make a few great guitars, I just don't personally like the feel. They seem to Generic and lifeless to me.

That's the irony of acoustics...they have character; some are good to you some are bad. Just like finding your better half, you need to find the character you like...and one that you know you'll love for the rest of your life without driving you nuts!
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/21 21:20:16 (permalink)
    I don't think there anything to go looking for.

That sound has nothing to do with that guitar.

Take any acoustic guitar... play the bottom 4 strings. Don't hit the low strings. Yank all the low frequency out of it with EQ. Maybe treat it with a little phase effect by mixing the mic and the piezo.

That guitar seems to be a generic plywood Florentine electric pickup clone... or it could be a high end solid wood Takamine... but either way you are hearing a very stylized representation of it and I think you should be able to get that sound from just about any guit box.

I think the opposite is very difficult. Getting a luscious and even sounding spectrum in the low and low-mid frequencies is a lot harder and usually requires that you locate an instrument that works well with the player's style and the room.

best regards,
    mike
    MikeTSH
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 04:44:40 (permalink)
    I was thinking about getting a Takamine NEX model from the sound tests I've listened to, they sound pretty clean; I tried the 12 string Takamine's back at the London Guitar Show in 2006, beautiful things to play, great tone. I knew this band before they were signed, so naturally I know the manager's email address and asked him what Ovation they use live and what Takamine's they played in the studio and should be getting a response soon. I just want something that is a fairly balanced guitar, not anywhere near as boomy as these dreadnoughts I have are; so they sound both full but not too basey live, but when layed and messed around with sound really clean, crisp and easy to edit with.

By the way, can someone correct me if I'm wrong; I'm guessing this is what high stringing is. You record the guitar as normal with your 6 string set, they you take those strings off and restring it with the higher octave strings of each note, for example the higher octave strings of E,A,D etc. And they you can make either one louder or quieter depending on the sound you want, plus the double track layering much fuller sound than just the high stringing effect would alone?
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 08:00:48 (permalink)
    I think you are making it overly complicated.

I may be wrong but I took the band members high stringing comment to be quite literal. They are only playing the high (4 bottom) strings because that's the role of that guitar part in the conception of the arrangement.
    Remember, that was the pianist who made that comment... I dare say pianists are more conscious of the ideas of arranging and voicing. I think it was just a casual and literal statement.

I own a custom made Martin OM that I commissioned for my wife. The idea was to avoid the Dreadnought sound... having said that I think your opinion of what a dreadnought can and can't do is a bit narrow. I think any lack of versatility, tone wise, is more likely to be a combination of the player and the actual instrument.

Good luck and all the best,
    mike
    MikeTSH
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 09:23:43 (permalink)
    Actually the band members are all classically trained and so I believe your comment of a pianist being more coscious of arranging and voicing may be true. I played piano until Grade 5 so I know a fair amount. I'm going to go for a Takamine NEX acoustic cos that seems to be giving the tone I want without meaning I have to EQ too much
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 09:41:59 (permalink)
    They seemed a bit more together than the hair costumes would suggest. :-)

I'm more into plain old acoustic guitars but I think Takamine makes the best of the breed for electric acoustic stage guitars... I hope you find one you really like.

best regards,
    mike
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 10:34:58 (permalink)
    My only input:

Try before you buy-- the variations in acoustic guitars of the same make and model are huge. +1 to Ron Vogel's point about being careful of guitars that only sound right in one range.

Try jumbo guitars. Not that they are necessarily better than any other shape, just that they tend to go overlooked for the wrong reasons. I think there is a presumption that they will be thumpy, boomy, or generally "bass heavy" because the name makes it sound like a hyper-dreadnought, but this is not true. Jumbos are a very different shape from dreadnoughts, and often have a very balanced tone with even volume and clear tone across the strings and up and down the fretboard, which can make for very good recordings.

Cheers.
    MikeTSH
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 11:12:05 (permalink)
    yep, I tried before I bought and have settled on one. I put it behind the counter for the bank holiday and will be collecting it as an end of GCSE present on Monday. For those interested, my results were

A* English Literature
    A English Language
    A English Media Studies
    B Mathematics
    B Woodwork/Metalwork
    B Science
    C ICT
    Noah330
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 587
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 11:20:34 (permalink)
    The guitar in the video is a Yamaha.

For Nashville Tuning, the gauges for a medium set would be .012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030 high to low.
    A light set would be .010, .014, .009, .012, .018, .027 high to low.
    All strings are unwound except for the low E which is wound.
    MikeTSH
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 11:26:18 (permalink)
    I went on Yamaha's website and couldn't find the guitar Noah330. Thanks for the information on the Nashville tuning, I've gone with a concert body because of the sounds it gives, very nice warm lows with crisp highs, like a mini jumbo.
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/22 11:28:45 (permalink)
    Sea Gull makes really nice acoustics as well.

My friend has one....beautiful sound and really easy to play.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/23 10:37:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noah330

For Nashville Tuning, the gauges for a medium set would be .012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030 high to low.

were you thinking the guy in the video is playing a Nashville tuning?
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/23 13:43:48 (permalink)
    I got an accoustic a while back. Being as I hadn't played an accoustic for well over a decade, and that was a classical back in my music study days, I had no real experience and coudln't really spend weeks traveling to music stores all over the place trying out guitars. And, even if I could, I couldn't have recorded them all with various mics in various situations to see how they sound recorded. And I couldn't have afforded more than $400 anyway.

In the end, I just got a modest little Yamaha. If it's what I've got to work with, I'll learn how to make it sound like I need it to sound. Some day when I'm rich and have time, I'll do the great accoustic search and buy 10 or 20 of them, one to fit any any social occasion. But, in the meantime, by any means necessary...
    post edited by droddey - 2008/08/23 14:08:11

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/23 20:52:29 (permalink)
    I had a synthetic backed Yamaha electric acoustic. Not a very expensive one. $500.00 variety. The small body on it gave it that tone you speak of. Then I happened to get my hands on a Martin Sp Namm edition that was exactly what I had been looking for. Still a relatively small body, electric acoustic, stereo capable, and action like an electric. The tonality is much better being a non-synthetic backed guitar. Spend some money, get a good one. It will be worth it.

Craig DuBuc
    dirty71
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/23 22:13:52 (permalink)
    If you want a truly awesome acoustic, you can't go past a Maton.
    I bought a MC225 (which is at the lower end of their range) and I couldn't
    be happier. That was quite a few years ago and the tone just gets better with age.
    That's the benefit of buying a quality guitar.

Nikolas
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/23 22:34:24 (permalink)
    The only way to buy an acoustic guitar is to try it first. Two identical models can sound entirely different.

What's that screaching noise!

Dell Optiplex 755, 6550 dual core, 4G ram
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Sonar 6 HSXL
    Violins and guitars

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=800951&content=music

ohhey
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/23 23:28:22 (permalink)

Do you know what model it is ?
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/25 10:35:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: droddey

I got an accoustic a while back. Being as I hadn't played an accoustic for well over a decade, and that was a classical back in my music study days, I had no real experience and coudln't really spend weeks traveling to music stores all over the place trying out guitars. And, even if I could, I couldn't have recorded them all with various mics in various situations to see how they sound recorded. And I couldn't have afforded more than $400 anyway.

In the end, I just got a modest little Yamaha. If it's what I've got to work with, I'll learn how to make it sound like I need it to sound. Some day when I'm rich and have time, I'll do the great accoustic search and buy 10 or 20 of them, one to fit any any social occasion. But, in the meantime, by any means necessary...

Not to beat up on anybody for making a purchase that they're happy with, but you really don't need a lot of money and you certainly don't need to drive all over town for weeks on end to "try before you buy."

It should be said that plywood ("laminate") top acoustic guitars will tend to sound much more consistent from one to the next. They may also be more road-worthy than a similar solid-top. So, if for whatever reason you have set your sights on a laminate-top guitar, then you can probably safely order from a catalog or whatever if you know the model you want.

However, if you are looking for a guitar primarily to record with, then my guess is that you will like the sound of solid-top guitars better, even in inexpensive price ranges. And there is no need to get all precious about miking up the different guitars-- the differences between acoustic guitars are not that subtle. A lot of the immediate differences are from the age and brand of strings, but there is also a really big range of differences in terms of how the guitars resonate and feel. From big, boomy, thump n' twang dreadnoughts to light-and-strummy "artist" models, the shape and type of bracing used makes a big difference. There is also a difference with how the top resonates. Some guitars sound woody and boxy, others sound bright and clear (even if the body is big and the tone is deep). Some have a rich, reverberant quality that makes single-note melodies come to life but that turns open chords into tubby mush. Another guitar that strums along beautifully might sound thin and limp on leads, by comparison.

It's hard to describe the differences without over-stating them, but if a player with a little experience tries out, say, five different guitars in her price range, her chances of not having a favorite are pretty small. Her chances of not having any preference between the five are zero. There is a point of diminishing returns to this stuff, and it's not necessary to try out thousands of guitars in a quest for the holy grail, but if you can try a few, chances are very high that one or two of them will sound and feel a lot more like "your voice" than some of the others.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/25 20:25:41 (permalink)
    one thing that helped my when i got my last acoustic (taylor 110) was having another guy at GC play it for me while i listened from a couple feet away. that sealed the deal for me - i liked the way it sounded when i played it and when i listened to it. a lot of guitarists never actually listen to their guitars being played but that's what the mic is going to pick up unless you put the mic next to your head (which some people do).

the day i got it i was determined to try out a bunch of guitars. it was the second one i played. i tried a few martins, even the $2,000 ones, and kept going back to the $500 taylor (labor day sale). it sounded better and more importantly played well all over the neck without buzz and with good intonation. i knew a good deal when i saw it and bought it.

- jack the ex-cynic
    ohhey
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/30 03:20:57 (permalink)
    I think the guitar is a Washburn... I can tell from the big soundhole, headstock, and bridge combination. I'm still looking for the exact model.

Washburn EA9F Festival, or EA20.. looks like it to me.

This is as close to a reference I could find...

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-10871.htm

This might be the latest version that is still for sale and close to the same...

http://www.proaudiomusic.com/instruments/guitars/washburn/ea20.htm

Also see e-bay auction 270269932283
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/08/30 03:47:17
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/30 06:38:23 (permalink)

Are you sure? It's a dead-ringer for my Washburn EA20...

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/780/596244.JPG
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2008/08/30 08:49:55

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/30 08:53:36 (permalink)
    I'm not jumping in on the brand name discussion... there's just not enough info to consider.

But I'd like to thank Noah for turning me on to the High Stringing concept. I found several references to it on the web. I'm going to start using this technique in my own work.

Here's a bit of info I grabbed from here: http://www.musicplayer.com/article/john-beland-on/Jun-06/21310

"John Beland on His High-Strung Tacoma Chief

Trial by Fire

By Adam St. James | June, 2006

WHO? John Beland’s email handle is “sessionman,” and with good reason. In a career spanning five decades he has laid down countless tracks behind many a legend, including Ricky Nelson, the Bellamy Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, Gene Vincent, Arlo Guthrie, Kris Kristofferson, Dolly Parton, and Ry Cooder. Since 1980 Beland has piloted the Flying Burrito Brothers (he says the band hung it up in 2000, but there’s always hope of a reunion), while continuing to record with and produce dozens of artists. Among his producing credits are the first country record ever cut in Mainland China, and some of the final tracks by Buck Owens and Waylon Jennings.

WHAT?
    Custom-painted Tacoma Chief single-cutaway mini jumbo with a Fishman pickup in “Nashville” or high-strung tuning.

BELAND’s GEAR
    Late ’40s Martin small-bodied acoustic (similar to a 000-21 model), also high-strung; 1981 Guild F50 Jumbo; 2005 Fender Mexican Vintage Telecaster with a Bill Bores Bender; Fury BBM electric; Korg AX30G; Fender Deluxe Reverb; any studio compression and echo available through the console when recording.

TESTING ENVIRONMENT
    Recording studios large and small, on several continents.

CHEERS
    “A high-strung guitar sounds fabulous. I use one on everything I record. I’ll mix my Guild F50 left and right—using two separate takes—then pan a high-strung track in the middle, shadowing the Guild tracks. And when you mix in that high-strung guitar, you get this incredible, bright sound. People often say they don’t want a 12-string on their record, but when they hear this, their jaws just drop.

“The effect is almost like hitting the ‘enhance’ button on your stereo—that’s what a high-strung does to your recordings. It’s such an asset to any session, I couldn’t think of putting acoustics on without including some form of high-strung in the song. When you pull it out of the mix, all the other guitars suddenly sound dull. It’s this magic little spice. We used to call it the ‘enchanted guitar.’ I used it on the Bellamy’s hit “Cowboy Beat,” in 1992, and I’ve used it on albums by Ricky Nelson, Nicolette Larson, Bobby Bare, T.G. Sheppard, and Kim Carnes, as well as everything from the Burritos since 1980.

“When I first heard of high-strung guitars back in the ’60s—it was always called Nashville tuning then—Bernie Leadon was the only guy in L.A. who played one. He showed me how to string it up, and I started to use them for sessions back in about ’68. If you listen to ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling’ or ‘Witchy Woman’—some of Bernie’s work on the early acoustic Eagles tunes—you can really hear the high-strung sound. You might think it’s a 12-string, but it’s not—it’s Bernie playing high-strung guitar.

“By contrast, a 12-string sounds almost folky. But when you take away that heavy 12-string sound and replace it with a high-strung guitar, you’ve got this texture almost like a harpsichord. And now you’ve got the opportunity to play different voicings on the high-strung than on the main 6-string tracks. I even use a capo on my high-strung, though if you go too high it starts to sound like Mickey Mouse. But you’re left with this fragile, octave thing that blends really well into your acoustic tracks. And also, it’s really cool for fingerpicking because you have these inversions that are just incredible, due to the unusual order of the string pitches.

“A high-strung set is essentially nothing more than the higher octave strings from a 12-string set. Typically the gauges are .025, .017, .012, .009, .014, and .010, from the sixth-string low E to the first high-E string. You set them up in standard tuning, though the low E, A, D, and G [strings 6-3] are an octave higher than standard tuning. The high E and B strings are at normal pitch. All your fingerings are just like in standard tuning. You can get a light gauge 12-string set, and then just use the high string of each pair for a high-strung set.

“You’ve got to try this—it’s the greatest. You won’t want to put your high-strung guitar down! The Chief is perfect for this purpose because it’s not a big guitar, but it’s not dinky either, and the unusual shape and placement of the soundhole works well for high-stringing.

BEEFS
    “Until recently, you always had to put together your own string sets for a high-strung guitar. Fortunately a couple of string manufacturers have now come out with ‘Nashville tuning’ sets. Also, these strings are very fragile, and they just don’t stand up to the rigors of the road. The strings—remember the heaviest is typically a .025—are very easy to break. They can’t handle aggressive or heavy-handed strumming. You have to play delicately, you can’t be slammin’ it like a regular acoustic. Also, the lighter touch that’s needed to bring out the incredible voicings and timbre of a high-strung guitar just doesn’t cut through onstage.

“Guitars with shorter scale lengths are easier to use in high-strung tuning. The tension is pretty high on some of the strings, and when you use a longer scale, you really risk breaking strings. The nature of the tuning being very bright means you have to use a smaller-body guitar or you lose the sparkling tone.”
    "

post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/08/30 08:59:14
    ohhey
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/30 17:57:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Are you sure? It's a dead-ringer for my Washburn EA20...

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/780/596244.JPG

The one in this photo has the controls back on the big bout, the one in the video has them on the small bout. Maybe just a different year but same model.
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Looking for an acoustic 2008/08/30 22:41:16 (permalink)
    Whoops! thought that was a molded back! The one in the video has an oval soundhole, the pictured one has a round sound hole. After looking at the headstock it could be a Takemine. I looked around, I will look again. You can tell I'm in a rut.

Craig DuBuc
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1