• SONAR
  • ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018] (p.23)
2018/04/04 21:49:10
Rasure
joegab
I noticed that the Bandlab Assistant loads as windows starts.

Are we "obliged" to keep Bandlab Assistant as autostartup or can we disable it?

Thanks,

Giorgio

Please see this post, it`s being dealt with :-)
2018/04/04 22:01:01
RajahP
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Mark D.
Great question. A few more for Noel and Band Lab staff. 

>>Supposedly a few things like Addictive Drums don't show in BL Cakewalk as they do in Sonar Platinum. I'm >>hearing we re-install those (and the BT stuff) but if it's installed why, can you please fix this issue?

You misunderstood. No need to reinstall if you install BbB and leave your Plat install alone.

>>Once I let it know the location for my VST FX and Synths and re-scan, can the saves lists I have for my plugins >>in the drop down be opened up in BL Cakewalk without having to rebuild them in the new one?

You mean plugin layouts? Those are files so you can copy them over from your Platinum install to CbB manually.
They are stored in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

>>PLEASE consider the first updates or two to be improving its workflow over snazzy stuff. I'm fine with it not >>having bloatware as most of what I use is 3rd party stuff I bought, and lack for no effects / synths.

There is no "bloatware". CbB is essentially the Platinum app and some plugins. Keep in mind that we have to also consider new users who don't have a ton of 3rd party stuff. The two new updates in BbB are workflow related...

>>MOST IMPORTANT. The first thing to fix is to give us the ability to "Find FX" - I will explain. You install version 1 of a third party VST (EQ, Comp, whatever). You save a bundle you used that in for archiving. 

In practice this isn't really possible to do consistently. Even if we allowed you to locate an effect that replaces something that is missing the new effect would NOT understand the old settings so you would be left with a default setting. Not very useful. If its the same plugin you are replacing then we already have a mechanism for that that we use with Overloud plugins. However I do see your point that a replace plugin feature could be useful. and "might" work sometimes.

Ok... I guess it's best to leave.... 
2018/04/04 22:03:49
JoeGBradford
Congratulations to Bandlab for this initiative. I've read through all of the above comments and they've been useful but I've got a couple of queries......

I've got Sonar Home Studio that I received with Computer Magazine a few months ago (I know tight git!) and I'm wondering what the major advantages would be to upgrade to Bandlab Cakewalk in terms of features - I'm an occasional hobbyist so don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles more pro users use.

I'm also a bit concerned about the issue that people have raised about the content installer only installing to the C drive - my SSD is only 256Gb so I don't want a lot of samples etc on there. At the moment my Cakewalk Content Folder is only 9Gb but I think I have read that the content for the Bandlab version is around 200Gb - I don't want to fiddle around with setting up junction instructions so wondering what is in that and whether it is worth installing - will I get some useful plug ins etc that I don't have with HS

This aimed at Meng / Noel - Are Bandlab likely to do as others have suggested and do a quick upgrade to give people a choice of installation path for the content files for those of us with small SSDs and large data drives?

Anyway good luck to everyone in using the new / old programme and thanks again to Bandlab for treating their new customers to what seems to be the deal of the century so far!
2018/04/04 22:04:15
jimfogle
meng Quick update - will sticky this at my first post too - the 04-10-2018 is just an arbitrary 6 month date set for authorization checks - it's confusing and will be removed! It's NOT an expiry date :-)

FYI:  the 04-10-2018 date is October 04, 2018; not April 10, 2018.  USA traditionally uses the MM-DD-YYYY date format while most of the rest of the world uses the DD-MM-YYYY date format.
2018/04/04 22:11:17
JoeGBradford
In addition to my post above - can I install the main Cakewalk programme first then go back to install content if needed / feasible on my drive
2018/04/04 22:15:24
HARDDRlVER
Now for my question(s), since looking through 200+ comments are a bit much to locate answers;

First, please don't pounce on me for my curiosities. I tend to read things in an odd manner, I know.

That said...

1. 'Bandlab Sonar is now free'...
Free to whom?
Everyone who signed up on Bandlab and has a legal license?
Or free to absolutely 'anyone'?

2. I bought splat lifetime, which Meng mentioned something about having a few treats in the workings, but I don't exactly know if he's referring to 'me' or those who've spent their lives with Sonar.

3. He mentioned some of the 3rd party plugins have been stripped from the new version.
Again, I'm not certain what that means.
Plugins that were integral to cakewalk or outside 3rd party plugins?
When I purchased splat, I received Melodyne essentials and xlnaudio drumkits.
Am I losing those?
I might have missed it, but is there any info on exactly what was stripped from splat?
2018/04/04 22:19:07
JoeGBradford
I got this message when I tried to run Bandlab Assistant - I assume I can ignore this?!  Windows Defender 'SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.'
2018/04/04 22:23:28
texasaurus rex
BIG thank you to all at BandLab for one of the smoothest moves ever. In less than 2 hours, all was downloaded, tweaked n twisted, working perfectly on my mobile recording laptop. Not in a million years would I have dreamed this would be the outcome for SONAR users. Hat's off, talk about corporate integrity...BandLab just set a whole 'nuther standard. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but today started off AWESOME. I have been interested in purchasing the most basic of phone/app/hardware Recording DAW Mobile rig set-ups, makes more sense everyday. Will definitely check out BandLab's analog and digital interface offerings now that they've got my attention. Wow, what a day...
2018/04/04 22:24:37
pentimentosound
At first I had 315 plugs upon opening CBL (of 821), so I rescanned and now have 715. Would some of the missing ones be 32 bit versions?
Michael
2018/04/04 22:25:46
Skyline_UK
abacab

I'm thinking of buying a new PC. On that new PC, can I just install CbB straight from the BandLab installer?  You seem to be saying Noel, that the BandLab installer needs to rely on a previous Sonar Platinum being present to work properly?
John

I think the distinction to be made here is that some Platinum plugin bundled installers will rely on Platinum being installed in order to run.  No see Platinum, no run.
You can install CBB straight, but you may be missing some Platinum plugins that way.  The core CBB install lacks certain Platinum extras.

Thanks.  That's exactly what I was worried about.
So in order to have my 'old' Sonar Platinum's functionality on my new PC I need to somehow install it, and then, in order that I'm 'plugged in' to BandLab Cakewalk for its future development, I need to download and install it, as I've just done on my present PC.
In order to be able to do this, I've downloaded all my Sonar Platinum and purchased plugins from my Customer account.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account