• Software
  • CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions
2017/11/30 18:15:58
JohnEgan
My first impression, Totally Craptacular

Firstly cant demo full pro version without buying a dongle,
After hours trying to get a demo active, long arduous downloads and setups, program, downloader, eLincencer, emails, registrations, registration codes, etc.. having to change video screen settings or it wont start, cant resize full main window, not even started yet and totally frustrated.
Simply looking through user interface, what a mess, it would take a lot of time figuring out their conventions alone, not just a matter of familiarity, definitely far from Sonar's ease, its a mass of confusion for me, it makes ProTools look wonderful and easy, I was recording in PT, minutes after getting it load properly, which was a hassle also. By comparison Mixcraft was a nice walk in the park, CuBase a walk through the pig pen blindfolded, but thats just my first impression, LOL. Maybe Ill try again tomorrow when Im not as frustrated. 

If thats any help to anyone looking for a  simple solution, dont even bother wasting your time, unless you have a lot of time to waste away from making music. Honestly though even after all this hassle getting it to load. I dont think Im even going to bother trying to use it. 

On to Studio One demo

Cheers 

2017/11/30 19:25:25
abacab
I had the totally opposite experience with Cubase Elements 9!!!

Install and setup went without a hitch.  For me it was elegant, logical, and quite intuitive.  There is always going to be a learning curve with a new DAW, so I hit some Groove3 videos and skimmed the user manual.  Good to go.  You are not going to just plug in a DAW this deep and hit the ground running without doing a bit of homework, LOL!!!  So be realistic with your expectations! 

I tried it earlier this year when I was searching for some MIDI composition tools that Sonar lacked.  They worked very well, but Cubase had too much overlap with Sonar for me at the time, so I did not purchase.

I will likely be revisiting that decision based on the recent news about Cakewalk! 
2017/11/30 19:31:50
Jon Bryson
Have to say I also am having a very positive experience with Cubase Elements 9.  I thought it actually looked quite clean compared to Sonar.  Still digging in to it though so we'll see.
2017/11/30 19:42:22
Amicus717
Is there a demo for Elements, and does it need a dongle? I could only find a demo for Pro. I don't have an e-licenser. I haven't used Cubase in a very long time, and I was curious to check in on it. And since I've already demo'd every other DAW under the sun, I might as well complete the tour...
2017/11/30 19:43:07
abacab
Jon Bryson
Have to say I also am having a very positive experience with Cubase Elements 9.  I thought it actually looked quite clean compared to Sonar.  Still digging in to it though so we'll see.

Cubase is a very deep program, and has many features that not everybody will use.  Cubase, Cakewalk, and Logic were the original DAWs based on MIDI sequencers, so the have a core MIDI pedigree.

So if you work with MIDI a lot, and don't have a Mac (Logic), then Cubase becomes a logical choice! 
2017/11/30 19:45:06
abacab
Amicus717
Is there a demo for Elements, and does it need a dongle? I could only find a demo for Pro. I don't have an e-licenser. I haven't used Cubase in a very long time, and I was curious to check in on it.

No dongle for Elements.  It uses a software activation method.
2017/11/30 19:54:12
abacab
I really like that Steinberg included both the Arranger Track, and the Chord Track, in Elements, and didn't cut them away.

Those are two features that Sonar really needed!

Only Cubase Pro has the full professional music notation, score editing and printing, but even elements has a basic version of that.  The feature comparison is here.
https://www.steinberg.net...cubase/comparison.html

So I am thinking that maybe $99 for Elements and $50 for Overture 5, and I'm all set for now! 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Message-from-Don-Williams-Overture-5-Updated-m3699129.aspx

Then someday if I am need of advanced audio mixing and editing, I will just upgrade to Cubase Pro. 
2017/11/30 19:55:24
vintagevibe
I’m a big Cubase user/fan but their copy projection is a cluster&$@x!
2017/11/30 20:40:56
JohnEgan
vintagevibe
I’m a big Cubase user/fan but their copy projection is a cluster&$@x!

Yea, like I said I was so frustrated after going through the maze of authorizations and setups Id didn't have the patience to start trying to use it with any patience, Im not sure how anyone could do that elegantly and smoothly if you weren't already installed, registered and setup at, at least three different programs and levels authorizations. Ill take another look at the actual program tomorrow from a fresh perspective, but I dont think I need or want anything too complex or have to totally reprogram my brains thinking process. LOL. Ill log into Groove3 and check out some of their tutorials also. Oh also somehow screwed up my RME-UFX Total-Mix main out setting, which I had to reset.       
2017/11/30 21:39:55
djwayne
Elements 9 doesn't need a dongle. I just got done installing my copy of the program I bought. (no demo) It worked fine for me, a bit of a pain to activate, but I got it. I'm happy to have the program. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account