• Software
  • Transfering projects from Sonar to Studio One - here's one way!
2017/12/04 05:08:24
tenfoot
Hey Folks.

Just a quick tip in case anyone (like me!) is feeling daunted by transfering  projects in their current state over to Studio One to continue working on them. The good news is SO works natively with timestamped broadcast waves. I have moved over 15 large projects now, and its all working very smoothly. Of course if anyone has a better way, I'd love to hear:)

1. Export a type one midi file and open it in studio one (this transfers all midi + tempo and meter changes and markers) It will also create empty Instrument tracks that were previously Audio. These can be deleted.
2. Export your individual audio tracks as Broadcast waves (including/excluding anything you want in the export dialogue box). I chose only fast bounce, with Tracks as my source, as I wish to reduild the projects in Studio One. Also, just use the track number as a name, as Sonar will add the name of the source track to the number upon export, so if your Kick is on track one, the exported file becomes 1-kick.
3. Using studio Ones file browser, drag each wave file onto blank space in Studio One. This creates a track with the file's name. Then from the edit menu choose 'move to origin'. You can even drag multiple files at once. If you have files you wish to place along the same track, just press the control key as you drag.

I have been doing this with both Studio One and Sonar open, and they share the Asio driver without a problem. Point Sonars export dialogue to the same folder you are importing from in Studio One. There is a refresh command on the right click browser menu in SO to update the folder as you export, or you can bind it to a keyboard shortcut for convenience.

The particular projects I am transfering only contain audio and midi. If you are using VST synth plugins, you would need to save the settings in Sonar as a preset then reopen them in Studio One, assigning any of the newly created SO midi tracks to them. They will already have the same names as they did in the original Sonar project due to type midi file type 1 export.

Hope that helps:)
2017/12/04 05:34:29
Fog
if you want to drag multiple files at the same time you can, normally do it with audio though.. minimise the window a bit , open up your song folder, in windows.. select all the audio / drag drop into the arrange window.

it'll generate the names from the filenames

2017/12/04 06:39:44
musichoo
Tenfoot, I am not sure why the title thread is transfer to Sonar? What I am reading is from S to S1?
2017/12/04 07:29:22
tenfoot
musichoo
Tenfoot, I am not sure why the title thread is transfer to Sonar? What I am reading is from S to S1?

Indeed you are right sir!  Thanks - fixed:)

2017/12/04 07:41:02
tenfoot
Fog
if you want to drag multiple files at the same time you can, normally do it with audio though.. minimise the window a bit , open up your song folder, in windows.. select all the audio / drag drop into the arrange window.

it'll generate the names from the filenames

True Fog. If you want multiple  files to be placed sequentially rather then on consecutive tracks I am not sure that will be any faster (a broadcast wave has no idea what other track files it belongs with, only where it should sit on the timeline)., but I will give it a try. Also, the point of exporting the files is to unsure that the they are written as broadcast waves so that Studio One knows where to place them when you yo use the 'move to origin' command. If that is possible dragging them directly from the arrange window it would be a great little time saver. Will give it a go:)
2017/12/04 08:10:33
Grem
Thanks for the tip ten'

This will help.
2017/12/04 10:05:55
sonarman1
Better to be informed that S1 and Sonar uses different pan law. So while you transfer your project to S1 it wont sound exactly the same even if you keep all the fader and pan level the same as in Sonar. More info here http://forum.cakewalk.com...o-One-m3697861-p5.aspx
2017/12/04 10:51:44
tenfoot
sonarman1
Better to be informed that S1 and Sonar uses different pan law. So while you transfer your project to S1 it wont sound exactly the same even if you keep all the fader and pan level the same as in Sonar. More info here http://forum.cakewalk.com...o-One-m3697861-p5.aspx

There are certainly differences Sonarman. I dont think anyone would expect it to sound identical. It is a pretty damned good place to start though, and at that point I dont worry too much about the pan laws. Its time to break out my organic mastering head mounted add-ons and use my ears for some final tweaking:)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account