Helpful ReplyComparing Sonar with Studio One

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Author
pharohoknaughty
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 03:08:21 (permalink)
doncolga
Guys, good grief.  It's silly to bash Studio One (or any other DAW) if you've only spent a few hours, or a few days on it compared to years you've been on Sonar.  Some of the things I'm seeing people get stuck on are really basic, but you do need to learn how the other DAW does it; it's not going to be just like Sonar, and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Six months ago I thought Sonar was the only game in town.  Then, some Studio One users explained some of their workflow.  It really opened my eyes and got me investigating more.  I can tell you that after about six months Studio One, and mixing probably about 50 songs on it, my current workflow mops the floor with my Sonar workflow, for production and mixing, and that's after being with Sonar for a really long time.  Do what feels right, of course, but give it some time, you may very likely like it better after you see how things work.

A few bread and butter items:

I don't need a gain knob.  The easiest way to adjust the gain of an audio track is to click the track event and drag up the blue handle in the middle; as a bonus, the waveform changes accordingly...I may be wrong but never noticed that in Sonar.  You can toss in the Mix Tool plugin on all tracks at one if you like, and there you'll get polarity, gain knob, other good stuff.  I'll admit, they should put a polarity switch right on the strip.

Select multiple tracks:  CTRL+ click the ones you want, then set faders as a group.

Select all tracks:  Click the first, Shift, click the last.  (agreed, CTRL+A is better) 

Once you select the tracks, drag in any plugins you like, very easy and all at once.

Function Keys:  just try them out and toggle them...very cool.

To add a VI:  click and drag it to a track

Multiple outputs on VI's.  On the console, click the arrow by the VI, click expand and check the outputs you want.  Set outputs accordingly on the VI.  Eezy peezy.

Freeze a VI:  right click and "transform to audio"

Manual plugin scan:  open the browser on the right, click the home button, click "update plugins".

File management?  Songs and project file management is super tidy in Studio One.  Very easy to find anything.  It handles much of this for you in a great, logical way.

Track management?  That was a nightmare for me in Sonar.  Click, scroll, click, scroll.  On Studio One I can organize tracks for a big 70-80 plus track project in like 3 minutes on Studio One, then focus really easily on the groups I need when it's time to start mixing.  I'm lighting fast on Studio One...I'm not bragging, that's just a fact.

It has a proper track list, and when you click on a track on the tracklist, you land on that mixer strip.  Sonar did not do this and this was a complete PITA.  The tracklist also shows you at a glance what's playing.

Export:  Set begin and end markers, CRTL+E, pick your format, done.

Plugin chain windows:  you can get to all the plugins on one window.  I didn't notice this in Sonar, and it's insanely convenient.

Float the mixer to another monitor?  Of course.  But I don't need to.  F3 to show the mixer, drag it all the way up for a huge, gorgeous console with the longest faders, then F3 to toggle between the editor and mixer.  My eyes are not working so hard by constantly going back and forth between two monitors.  It's one less monitor to buy.  But yes, it will do that.

Sidechaining:  add a send, click side chain, pick the destination.

Tempo change:  show the Tempo Track. set the resolution (probably already done), alt+click and drag to draw your tempo changes in.  Or, + on the tempo track to add a new tempo.

Time signature change:  right click on the top timeline to insert a new time signature.

It's like everything is a 1-2 click operation.  It's taken me mixing about 30 songs before getting to what I felt was pretty good proficiency, and I still have much to learn.  But after that, Studio One is just working much better for me now.

I really appreciate your help getting started here, thanks. Lots of good info.

For me the gain control is part of my basic world.  Not having it is like having a Marshall Mater Volume guitar amp with a master volume but no "pre amp" control. I use the gain on Sonar to control how hard I push the compressors/ limiters. Changing the gain on one clip with graphics is cute but it was my habit to really make use of the gain control on each track (ie for all clips present and future). BTW, I use a RME with automatic gain control for an audio interface. It tends to be very conservative on level setting and I end up with consistently low DB tracks.

But thanks for your detailed instructions, which I will study. Also, I will try to change my habits and expectations about the gain control.

Please keep up the good work. 

Cakewalk user since DOS3. Currently Platinum on a ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 USB 3.1, i4790 3.6, 16 gigs memory, Windows 10 64, RME UCX using firewire.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 04:06:00 (permalink)
doncolga
dubdisciple
I have asked year after year for proof that Mixbus does something magical aside from the built-in saturation and compressuon and always got a bunch of rhetoric. When people like Jeff acfually did objective tests my suspicions were confirmed that one could setup a default chain that would produce similar results in any DAW.

What I really like about MixBus is using the controls right on the console, so I use very few plugins, hence never have to open and close plugin windows, and that's wonderful.  I love that.  It was here I also first encountered a proper track list, and that greatly improves project navigation, especially with large projects.  With just the console processing, I could usually get the sound I was looking for very quickly, but I really missed the workflow and other features of Studio One.  I also didn't like how the controls were so tiny on the screen.

As a "best of both worlds", I added Softube Console 1 with the SSL 4000 E emulation a few months ago to go along with Studio One and it's a fixture on every channel and bus that's been great.  Very easy to select channels, huge, easy to read display, physical control surface, and 10% discount on a floor model.  Win, win, win.

I agree, i like the convenience of having this right there and intuitive. If mixbus scored better in other categories i would use it more
SimpleM
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 05:12:04 (permalink)
Wow, dove into S1P tonight and all I can say is LEARNING CURVE.  It really seems it will do everything Sonar did (that I use anyway) but it is like it is more bass-ackward than Adobe products was when I learned those.  The nomenclature is very different and while workflow might be good in the long run, when you are unlearning 20 years of muscle memory and thought process, it is like learning a whole new language to this old dog.

Sonar feels much more "studio" like (as do Mixcraft and Mixbus) heck, compared to studio one, Protools feels more like a studio environment.  Almost as if too many things have been buried under the streamlining.  It is all there, it is just hidden and called something totally foreign than what I am used to.

Not giving up.  I dig the vibe of Mixcraft and Mixbus but Mixcraft is just missing a few too many Sonar staples (good midi editing, audio clip slip editing that includes fades...  Creating and dragging envelope dots is a flow KILLER)  As for Mixcraft, umm, still too far back in development.  32 bit and no VST3?  No thanks.

SO I will try to learn S1P before I pass judgement but I do think they might look in future releases to make the visual presentation more resemble at least a little of the hardware of a traditional studio.
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 07:04:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2017/12/01 15:01:08
slyman
Sacalait
I haven't started a project (song) in Studio One yet.  I'm learning the shortcuts to the basics at the moment.  I'm confident it can get my job done.  I probably won't move full-time to it until a couple more months.  But I have made a decision that it will be my studio DAW in the next year.  So for now it's wrapping my head around how it does things that I'm SO used to in Sonar.  No complaints at the moment.

+1

As far as sound difference, projects I've transferred over to S1 sounds exactly the same.
Software only passes through audio from and to your converters, it does not modify the source file in any way unless you process it. 
It's like saying Windows Media Player and VLC sound different playing raw files. They don't. 

Is that so? Well, as promised, I have documented some tests. I did three tests. On test 2 I did get the results to null, the other two I could not. Also, there is a clear difference in sound which is demonstrated in the third test. 

In my best Morpheus voice (from the Matrix,) "All I can offer you is the truth."

I was surprised by test #2. The other two tests were as I expected.

Here is the truth...
Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

Now that we know the summing is different, lets move onward and forward. I would love to hear from Studio One developers about why this difference exists. Maybe they did it on purpose. I have an open mind about it. But all the rhetoric about the mix engines being identical can be laid to rest.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 07:19:45 (permalink)
I watched that on my phone so could not read the clipping comment. I have never seen that warning and could not read what it said on my phone. The volume of the screen cap for Studio One sounded louder on that first playback, which made me wonder with the clipping comment as well.

The only other thing I would check is the sample count and synch between those files.

If you get the opportunity to post the mixdowns, they would also help to evaluate.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 07:32:44 (permalink)
I loaded all the full WAV files used in these tests here
Feel free to download and test for yourselves.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 07:41:55 (permalink)
If you do try summing test only you will get perfect nulls.  As I have said I have done this with 4 DAW's in fact and got perfect nulls (with any two) but this is summing only.  If you are not getting perfect nulls then you are making some mistakes somewhere.  As I have also said this test requires very careful setting up and checking.  

The 4 DAW's in my case were Sonar Producer 8.5, Logic, Pro Tools and Studio One. Maybe the latest version of Sonar is doing something that Sylvan does not know about.  It is usually the case. 

No plug-in of any description anywhere.. Fade levels with raw tracks only all the same and whole number only.  LCR panning only with the  DAW's.  Making sure that extreme L and R panning also produces no increase in level anywhere.  In the C position you must set all the DAW's in question to agree e.g. C = -3dB (standard in Studio One and in many others too but also a common setting too)

Once you do this and render there will no differences in sound quality and perfect nulls.  The sound quality tests in my case were also done with expensive monitors in a studio situation with great acoustics.  Had several very experienced engineers present and no one could pick any DAW in particular.   Also when you do a test like this no one actually knows when the switch takes place either.  This is way harder. (something you cannot do yourself easily) 

My tests were much more carefully done and listened to as well.  For summing only there are no discernible differences with any DAW.  End of story.  

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 08:01:23 (permalink)
Please watch the tests and point out my mistakes. I want to be enlightened.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 08:06:38 (permalink)
My tests are based on trying to get nulls. I followed the formula and only got a null on one test.

If I may ask, what would it mean to you if there is a difference in summing? Is this something that you hope to avoid? If it is true will it cause you any problems? Just curious is all. I have demonstrated something here that seems to draw fierce resistance at all costs. I wish I knew why.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 08:25:18 (permalink)
The null sounds like there is no high end. Are you sure you have not got any MixFx engaged in studio One.  Easy to do and not obvious either. Are you sure you are not applying some processing somewhere.  Is the Sonar pan law set to -3db centre as well.  I don't think it is standard in Sonar not sure.

This is not what I hear at all.  And also in my test there are 32 tracks present as well. So way more complex musically than in this test and yet I still get a null. 

That null is like way obvious. In my case even there were artifacts present in the null they were like 60 db down in level so therefore not audible.

You are doing something wrong and eventually you will find it and agree. Have you created the same  type of tracks in Studio One. e.g. if the track is mono create mono track and the same for stereo. Studio One does some level changes when you playback audio files on the incorrect types of tracks.

I even tested Mixbus against Studio One and got a perfect null. And Mixbus is supposed to adding some special analog console sauce and yet I could even get those two to null.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
cboshuizen
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 08:32:54 (permalink)
Sylvan
Please watch the tests and point out my mistakes. I want to be enlightened.

OK, maybe on thing that might, or might not, be a mistake, is that in Sonar you had dithering set to Pow-r 3, rather than the default triangular.  Differences are explained here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=3&help=Mixing.61.html

What informed your choice of dithering, and do you see differences if you change it?

// Silent PC, i7-6700K, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Home Creator Update  // Sonar Platinum - latest monthly release // Melodyne Editor 4.1, Addictive Drums & Keys, Z3TA+2, Dim Pro // FL Studio Producer 12.4 all plugins + some FL VSTIs in Sonar //
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 09:48:27 (permalink)
For those that are in a most advanced stage ..... i use ARC and sonarworks and instead of messing with mutiple sub buses ....i found that in the mix down window you can check a box to mix without the master FX ...if you want t also have this feature to update the songs via project view after a tweak in sng view , you have at least to a mixdonw in the song view for this option to be remebered;)
For gain and phase , use Mixtool and expand it in channels ..... 

thinking of doing a video for Sonar switcher to make em master the essentials ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 10:46:12 (permalink)
If you go to youtube and look up Johnny Geib or go to www.johnnygeib.com You will find a lot of tutorials for Studio One 3. Hope this helps.
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 13:01:12 (permalink)
cowboydan
If you go to youtube and look up Johnny Geib or go to www.johnnygeib.com You will find a lot of tutorials for Studio One 3. Hope this helps.

Thanks Danny

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 13:38:23 (permalink)
Hey,

What's your screen capture software?

Thanks!

Donny

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
doncolga
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 13:40:47 (permalink)
Sylvan
slyman
Sacalait
I haven't started a project (song) in Studio One yet.  I'm learning the shortcuts to the basics at the moment.  I'm confident it can get my job done.  I probably won't move full-time to it until a couple more months.  But I have made a decision that it will be my studio DAW in the next year.  So for now it's wrapping my head around how it does things that I'm SO used to in Sonar.  No complaints at the moment.

+1

As far as sound difference, projects I've transferred over to S1 sounds exactly the same.
Software only passes through audio from and to your converters, it does not modify the source file in any way unless you process it. 
It's like saying Windows Media Player and VLC sound different playing raw files. They don't. 

Is that so? Well, as promised, I have documented some tests. I did three tests. On test 2 I did get the results to null, the other two I could not. Also, there is a clear difference in sound which is demonstrated in the third test. 

In my best Morpheus voice (from the Matrix,) "All I can offer you is the truth."

Here is the truth...
Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

Now that we know the summing is different, lets move onward and forward. I would love to hear from Studio One developers about why this difference exists. Maybe they did it on purpose. I have an open mind about it. But all the rhetoric about the mix engines being identical can be laid to rest.

I heard a difference on test 3, but Sonar sounded a little darker to me.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 13:57:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2017/12/01 15:05:39
I will check into that. Do you know what dithering Studio One is using? If I know that, I will make them the same and see what that does.

But if that was the case, why did test 2 null? The makes me think that the dithering is not at fault. Also, I kept everything at 24/48, so even though Pw-r-3 was selected, I don't think any dithering actually took place.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 13:59:44 (permalink)
doncolga
Sylvan
slyman
Sacalait

+1

Here is the truth...
Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

I heard a difference on test 3, but Sonar sounded a little darker to me.

Fair enough. I know different people will have different opinions on what is better. I only set out to show that there is indeed a difference. Thank you for accepting that truth. That is all I am saying.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 14:08:05 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
The null sounds like there is no high end. Are you sure you have not got any MixFx engaged in studio One.  Easy to do and not obvious either. Are you sure you are not applying some processing somewhere.  Is the Sonar pan law set to -3db centre as well.  I don't think it is standard in Sonar not sure.

This is not what I hear at all.  And also in my test there are 32 tracks present as well. So way more complex musically than in this test and yet I still get a null. 

That null is like way obvious. In my case even there were artifacts present in the null they were like 60 db down in level so therefore not audible.

You are doing something wrong and eventually you will find it and agree. Have you created the same  type of tracks in Studio One. e.g. if the track is mono create mono track and the same for stereo. Studio One does some level changes when you playback audio files on the incorrect types of tracks.

I even tested Mixbus against Studio One and got a perfect null. And Mixbus is supposed to adding some special analog console sauce and yet I could even get those two to null.

I didn't say it would be easy, only that it would be the truth.

I did not engage Mix FX. I did not use any plugins or panning. That is why I did not edit out the exports. You can see everything I did. There is absolutely no trickery going on. I even made all the files available for download so anyone can see for themselves.

I have done what I set out to do. I rest my case.

Maybe there is an explanation that Studio One developers could give. I would ask the same from SONAR developers but they are gone unfortunately.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
doncolga
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 14:11:22 (permalink)
Sylvan
Jeff Evans

I didn't say it would be easy, only that it would be the truth.

I did not engage Mix FX. I did not use any plugins or panning. That is why I did not edit out the exports. You can see everything I did. There is absolutely no trickery going on. I even made all the files available for download so anyone can see for themselves.

I have done what I set out to do. I rest my case.

Maybe there is an explanation that Studio One developers could give. I would ask the same from SONAR developers but they are gone unfortunately.

Dither is on by default on Studio One.  Not sure what variety.

http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-one-blog//does-studio-one-3-sound-better-than-studio-one-2

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 14:19:26 (permalink)
cowboydan

I watched several of his videos last night.  He did two videos detailing what you can do with midi in Studio One which were targeted at Sonar users.  Both were very good.

Interestingly, he does a 1 hour livestream at 7pm EST where he demonstrates some features.  I caught the end of it last night.  You can watch older ones on his channel, too.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 14:22:58 (permalink)
Damn I posted such a big reply and it has totally dissappeared. Not the first time is happening. Too tired to type again.
Piotr
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 208
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 14:39:44 (permalink)
Interesting finding, Charles.

I think assumption that every DAW engine must do everything exactly the same as could be heard from some musician-'theoretic scientists' is wrong.

I do not understand why they believe all software is the same but DAW is very complex software with many different algorithms inside, for instance  rounding numbers can be done differently in computing.

Many small things... So in fact I am not very surprised if any difference sometimes could exist. How many lines of coding is in advanced DAW? Also sometimes some difference could exists in one conditions and don't in the others (low memory etc - bugs related).

It could be small thing somewhere. It is not as simple as 2+2 =4. While programs are written by humans programs will have bugs. Or sometimes maybe it could be matter of different approach for the same task. I believe you didn't missed something in settings both in Sonar and SO :) So I am very curious answer from  support. I hope it would be not like 'you have to have bug in Soar, pls contact Sonar support' ;)

Regards,
Piotr
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 14:46:45 (permalink)
Piotr
Interesting finding, Charles.

I think assumption that every DAW engine must do everything exactly the same as could be heard from some musician-'theoretic scientists' is wrong.

I do not understand why they believe all software is the same but DAW is very complex software with many different algorithms inside, for instance  rounding numbers can be done differently in computing.

Many small things... So in fact I am not very surprised if any difference sometimes could exist. How many lines of coding is in advanced DAW? Also sometimes some difference could exists in one conditions and don't in the others (low memory etc - bugs related).

It could be small thing somewhere. It is not as simple as 2+2 =4. While programs are written by humans programs will have bugs. Or sometimes maybe it could be matter of different approach for the same task. I believe you didn't missed something in settings both in Sonar and SO :) So I am very curious answer from  support. I hope it would be not like 'you have to have bug in Soar, pls contact Sonar support' ;)

Thank you so much for your logical and thoughtful reply. I agree 100% with everything you just said.

Actually, this is all very fascinating. I hope no one is taking this in any other way than just a journey of discovery.

Thank you friend.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 14:54:58 (permalink)
By the way, I will still be using Studio One and I don't regret purchasing it. Even with the proven difference of its summing engine I know great mixes can be made on it. And nothing else compares with its ARA and Softube Console One integration (except SONAR of course.)

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 15:04:15 (permalink)
doncolga

Dither is on by default on Studio One.  Not sure what variety. 

well, that's dumb.
you should never mess with dither until the very last step of mastering.
there is no need to dither, until you prepare the song for redbook format.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 15:06:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2017/12/01 15:12:21
Sylvan here's the thing . I spent a good amount of time rerunning the tests you did by downloading the tracks you uploaded. I got the same results. What's interesting is that your exports and my exports nulled. ie. your S1 exposts nulled with my S1 exports and your Sonar exports nulled with my Sonar exports. So basically we did the exact same thing and got the exact same results.  I used triangular dithering, so that is not making any difference. 

I did an additional test. In Test 2 you choose overheads. I did two additional tests with Kick and snare separately. Guess what they dont null like Overheads did. This got me thinking. Then I realized that overheads is the only track recorded in stereo. Here's another thing, The sonar export of kick peaks at -8.0 db and s1's export of kick peaks at -11.0 db. Same with the snare(Sonar -4.1, S1 -7.1). Did you notice, both has 3db difference both caused just coz of mono stereo difference.

That makes me think if the -3db pan law as the reason behind this. Does anyone know how to change pan law in both S1 and Sonar?
Sylvan
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 15:48:28 (permalink)
sonarman1
Sylvan here's the thing . I spent a good amount of time rerunning the tests you did by downloading the tracks you uploaded. I got the same results. What's interesting is that your exports and my exports nulled. ie. your S1 exposts nulled with my S1 exports and your Sonar exports nulled with my Sonar exports. So basically we did the exact same thing and got the exact same results.  I used triangular dithering, so that is not making any difference. 

I did an additional test. In Test 2 you choose overheads. I did two additional tests with Kick and snare separately. Guess what they dont null like Overheads did. This got me thinking. Then I realized that overheads is the only track recorded in stereo. Here's another thing, The sonar export of kick peaks at -8.0 db and s1's export of kick peaks at -11.0 db. Same with the snare(Sonar -4.1, S1 -7.1). Did you notice, both has 3db difference both caused just coz of mono stereo difference.

That makes me think if the -3db pan law as the reason behind this. Does anyone know how to change pan law in both S1 and Sonar?

I did notice that. I tried the test on just the kick and got the same results as you. I think you may be on to something here. I hadn't considered this before because I assumed that since I am not panning anything that the panning law did not come into play. But maybe it does. This is great. I hope that this is what is going on. If nothing else, it is most excellent that we are learning more about all this. I think it is really cool either way.

Thank you so much for taking the time to conduct your own investigation.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Asus X99-AII
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 16:06:45 (permalink)
If you have dithering turned on in either DAW or both, even if it's the same kind of dithering, then the test is invalid. Dithering introduces random noise. Random anything is a big no-no when trying to see if two signals will null in a test. To compare the summing of two DAW's you have to make sure EVERYTHING is the same with no tolerances or random factors. Even if you think the dithering is doing nothing because of your sample rate, it's not a scientific test until you turn all dithering completely off. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Comparing Sonar with Studio One 2017/12/01 16:22:11 (permalink)
Hey, let's change the subject and see if we can get the thread moved again! ;)

Just kidding. It seems the Software forum is the place to be. The SONAR forum is like Chicken Little/Henny Penny central.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1