• Software
  • DX to VST plugin Wrapper? (p.2)
2017/11/27 21:00:07
JohnKenn
Yes, thanks Anderton,

Have used the buzz shell for many years and it works with about anything to bring dx into a vst world.
One problem I had was with the dx wrapper, not the dxi wrapper, and this problem would probably be in relation to how much antiquated software you have on your drive.

The dx wrapper does a great job of getting the registry dx entries and porting them for use into any DAW supporting vst. Problem is that so many other non music softwares have a bunch of dx plugs, word processors, graphics programs, etc, etc. You can be buried in a wash of dx files from your email client or whatever. The music stuff is there, but sometimes like a fishing trip through the maze to find what you are looking for.

I stuck with the dxi plug because not a lot except the music is there. Allows you to use TTS-1 in something like Studio 1. Reaper has retained dx/dxi status so Cake dx plugs are there in Reaper native, as well as any other programs that are not blocked by Cake for external read.

John

2017/11/28 00:47:31
mikedocy
Amicus717
Courtesy of Mr Anderton - http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-Use-Cakewalk-DX-and-DXi-in-Studio-One-Really-m3696738.aspx
I wonder if this would work with other DAWs...

Yes, it should work in other daws.

I'm using it in SOP:
I copied the "dxshell.x64.dll" into the folder where the dx plugs are located:
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins

Then added that folder to SOP (locations/vst plugins).

So far, the plugs I am interested in work.
The Sonitus compressor does not work as previously stated in this thread.
2017/11/28 04:24:05
Amicus717
mikedocy

The Sonitus compressor does not work as previously stated in this thread.

Which is a shame. That was the Sonitus plug I used most of all. It's a great, low-overhead, and straightforward compressor...
2017/11/28 16:07:08
ptheisen
As I stated in the other thread, I'm guessing the issue with the compressor (and the gate) is that they allow side-chaining, and the wrapper evidently doesn't handle that possibility gracefully.

In that respect, Reaper is similar. It shows all the other DX plugins, but not the compressor or gate. It's possible that Reaper is simply using this wrapper behind the scenes, and adding logic to filter out the plugins it knows will not work.
2017/11/28 20:39:22
JohnKenn
Ptheisen,

Not having this problem, but have to run Reaper 32 bit to get the dx plugins. 64 bit Reaper doesn't see them.
All Sonitus dx plugs, including gate and compressor work excellent in Reaper 32 bit (5.65 pre) with no additional wrapper needed. Vst's work as expected, straight or bridged in either Reaper 32 or 64.

You might go into the options and rescan all dx plugs to see if that helps.

John
2017/11/28 20:42:17
Amicus717
hmm..I can see the DX ones in Reaper 64 bit. 
2017/11/28 21:04:03
abacab
Amicus717
hmm..I can see the DX ones in Reaper 64 bit. 

Yup!  Both DX and DXi show up in Reaper x64 (except for the Sonitus Compressor, apparently).
2017/11/28 21:10:34
JohnKenn
Hmm...
Will reinstall the 64 bit Reaper and try again. Nothing blacklisted either in the dx ini file.  Hope this is not something broken with the latest beta (which often happens to some function for a couple days until discovered and patched).
John
2017/11/28 21:34:35
JohnKenn
Oh well... Stranger things have happened.
Must be my installer for Sonitus. Tried on a different computer, 5.5 Reaper and the same thing, no DX plugs in 64 bit Reaper, though not an issue since the vst versions are there. All 10 dx plugs are there in Reaper 32 bit, with one curious exception that the delay is registered as a dxi. As long as they work.
John
2017/11/28 22:25:42
abacab
You have to enable DX plugins in Reaper preferences (and scan them).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account