2014/07/24 20:58:49
shmuelyosef
miditus
MIX VERSIONS:
I'm wishing that someday a feature called MIX VERSIONS will be implemented. My vision about MIX VERSIONS is having an unlimited number of mixes/settings in a single project/song/cwp file. Meaning you can recall a certain mix within a project with a push of a button. You store a particular mix version in a button, With this implemented, you can cycle thru a certain mix with a push of button. Maybe you have a mix with lower bass or a whatever you desire. If possible, automation(vol, pan, mute, etc.....) and plugin setting can also be stored in a mix version with a corresponding description text. IT WILL BE A GREAT FEATURE. :-) At least for me.

I wonder if this feature is already implemented in ProTools.

This is similar to the SCREENSHOT feature.

you can do this with any I/O hardware that has multiple outs and a half-decent software mixer. I use Saffire Pro 40, and with MixControl, you can set up a monitor mix and save it. Then you can switch them from a pull-down as you play back. 
2014/07/24 21:02:36
shmuelyosef
Timo Finkbeiner
Wow, many many wishes.
I just want for the moment improvements for notation. As many people here wrote months and years ago, this part of sonar is still not on a level it should be, especially when comparing to the other parts of sonar. Comparing to other daw's like cubase, samplitude (those I know), logic and so on, it is amateurish -  for years now!!!

For example it is not possible to print just a part of music, you have to print the whole music. Or does anybody know how to do this?

I don't want Sonar to have big Notation features like Cubase, but now it is time for little improvements.

Kind regards,
Timo

Programs like Sibelius have gotten cheap enough and enable ReWire to move the MIDI...this is not something that probably has high value for Cakewalk, as anyone making charts or arrangements for a living would use Sibelius, Finale or equivalent for output.
2014/07/24 21:05:20
Splat
miditus
MIX VERSIONS: I'm wishing that someday a feature called MIX VERSIONS will be implemented. My vision about MIX VERSIONS is having an unlimited number of mixes/settings in a single project/song/cwp file. Meaning you can recall a certain mix within a project with a push of a button. You store a particular mix version in a button, With this implemented, you can cycle thru a certain mix with a push of button. Maybe you have a mix with lower bass or a whatever you desire. If possible, automation(vol, pan, mute, etc.....) and plugin setting can also be stored in a mix version with a corresponding description text. IT WILL BE A GREAT FEATURE. :-) At least for me.
I wonder if this feature is already implemented in ProTools.
This is similar to the SCREENSHOT feature.

shmuelyosef you can do this with any I/O hardware that has multiple outs and a half-decent software mixer. I use Saffire Pro 40, and with MixControl, you can set up a monitor mix and save it. Then you can switch them from a pull-down as you play back. 

.. with Mix Control "multiple mixes" is really only there for recording and zero latency.
You can't automate it, no real use for actually mixing.

It really seems to me they want multiple projects that open quickly perhaps under a single master project file (much like a 3D Excel spreadsheet) and better ways to navigate open projects. That could be possible but quite a lot of memory could be taken up caching the background project/s that aren't being used (memory that could be used elsewhere). If you've got loads of RAM however you might not be worried about it.

To some extent it happens now as Sonar can open multiple projects.
2014/07/24 22:04:33
miditus
Anderton
jmasno5
miditus
CakeAlexS
Isn't that called a project? Admittedy it takes two or three clicks not one to open up another project.

Nope. I don't want to open another project with different mix. This is within a single project where you can call up a particular mix versions instantly without opening another project. You know, sometimes, opening another project takes time specially if the project has a bunch of VIs with samples in it. You cannot afford a client to wait while the project is loading.

Imagine having 92 mix versions(correct me if i'm wrong :-)) of Billie Jean within a single project and calling each version in an instant without the hassle of loading another project. Bruce Sweden would be very happy. :-)

Hope you get the idea. After all, it's just an idea. :-)

I would love this feature.

Me too. Of all the wish list items here, this is probably the one I would use the most. You can do the same thing by saving lots of projects and calling them up, but the load time for a complex remix can be considerable. Being able to switch back and forth rapidly within a single project would be great.

This would also make it really easy to consolidate things like vocals up +1, vocals down -1 in a single project instead of having to duplicate tracks or save new projects. For remixes it would be killer, because you could easily try out different radical changes.

I'm sure there are complications in implementing it - how fast could you switch from one set of automation curves to another, and whether you could cut automation from one version and paste into another...but I think this has a lot of potential, at least for the kind of work I do.

IF (hopefully) implemented well, Sonar will be on top of the game and there will be lots of converts in my opinion. I'm just being hopeful and positive that cakewalk developers can find a way. :-)
2014/07/25 06:31:21
Jürgen Gleisberg
shmuelyosef
Timo Finkbeiner
Wow, many many wishes.
I just want for the moment improvements for notation. As many people here wrote months and years ago, this part of sonar is still not on a level it should be, especially when comparing to the other parts of sonar. Comparing to other daw's like cubase, samplitude (those I know), logic and so on, it is amateurish -  for years now!!!

For example it is not possible to print just a part of music, you have to print the whole music. Or does anybody know how to do this?

I don't want Sonar to have big Notation features like Cubase, but now it is time for little improvements.

Kind regards,
Timo

Programs like Sibelius have gotten cheap enough and enable ReWire to move the MIDI...this is not something that probably has high value for Cakewalk, as anyone making charts or arrangements for a living would use Sibelius, Finale or equivalent for output.

Hello,
when I look at the price of sibelius, I wouldn't speak of a cheap software and I don't have the need to print sheets like a professional. Sibelius is more expensive then sonar! All I want is the possibility of printing and handling sheets in a more comfortable way. Maybe like in Samplitude oder Logic, not as much as possible in cubase.

But does it really work with rewire and sibelius in sonar without problems? Are there other notation software supporting rewire? Does anybody know?

Timo
2014/07/25 06:37:23
Jürgen Gleisberg
Hello,
ok I saw there is Sibelius First as a smaller version  of Sibelius which also supports rewire and the price is not as high as for Sibelius. I will try the trial Version next days. Maybe that's what I´m looking for. Thanks.

Timo
2014/07/25 11:13:40
Loptec
markyzno
Drag and drop from windows explorer, the browser in Sonar doesnt cut it for me.

This is already possible.. or am I missing something? I can drag and drop anything from explorer directly into Sonar. If you can't maybe you need to run Sonar as admin or something?
2014/07/25 12:01:26
WallyG
Timo Finkbeiner
shmuelyosef
Timo Finkbeiner
Wow, many many wishes.

Kind regards,
Timo

Hello,
when I look at the price of sibelius, I wouldn't speak of a cheap software and I don't have the need to print sheets like a professional. Sibelius is more expensive then sonar! All I want is the possibility of printing and handling sheets in a more comfortable way...

Timo

If you want Sibelius (normally $599.95) for less than half price, first buy notion (I happened to already own a copy of notion, a great program, but I wanted more features) for $99.95 and then cross grade to Sibelius 7.5 for $199.95. Total is 299.90. Two hundred dollars less than Sonar X3 Producer.
Walt

2014/07/27 04:29:13
TerraSin
dubdisciple
Terrasin.
I'm all for lynda etc making more resources available. I did not mean to imply EVERYONE just needed free videos, blog, manual, etc. I just meant it is not reasonable to expect cakewalk to give that away. Groove3 makes good videos as well as own Karl. These cost but both are reasonable. Cakewalk has given out 30 day groove3 passes in the past and discounted training videos to almost nothing.

Never said they should give it away. I said it should be available for a price. I wouldn't expect Cake to put together an extensive educational series on their program and just give it away. As I said in my original post, Groove3 and the videos Cake puts on youtube are good getting started resources and little tips and tricks, but I'm talking about something more advanced. If you look over at Lynda, their courses are geared towards people who are trying to get to the more "professional" bracket by teaching all aspects of the programs rather than brief overviews.
2014/07/27 11:57:26
Anderton
Loptec
markyzno
Drag and drop from windows explorer, the browser in Sonar doesnt cut it for me.

This is already possible.. or am I missing something? I can drag and drop anything from explorer directly into Sonar. If you can't maybe you need to run Sonar as admin or something?

There was a thread about this a while ago. It's a Windows issue; this thread explains the situation, and offers a solution in addition to the one (i.e., don't run as Admin) mentioned in the thread.

However - Although Cakewalk hasn't really made a big deal about this, there have been several browser enhancements in X3 and the updates, such as bi-directional flow and the project audio being accessible. I wrote an article detailing these features. I rarely used the browser when it was introduced but after taking another look at it, realized it had become much more capable and now I use it all the time.

My one remaining browser gripe is that search doesn't look within folders. If they would fix that, the browser would do everything I want it to do. (Yes, I filed a feature request. Fingers crossed.)

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account