• Software
  • Now I remember why I hate iLok (p.5)
2015/12/30 22:47:50
steveo42
1. Copy protection only inconveniences the honest people. Think about it next time you install a new motherboard and spend 3 days authorizing software you already paid for. ToonTrack is the absolute worst BTW. XLN (Addictive Drums/Keys.etc) is the best. The pirate clicks on mypiratedprogram.exe and is done in 2 minutes, if that. You, the honest user? Go to a web page, download updates, deauthorize the last computer ID etc...
See my point?

2. That being said, I've been using iLok for years and never had a problem. Easiest of them all when moving to a new PC, installing a new network card, hdisk etc. Simple.
The key is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. NEVER update ANY iLok driver, software etc unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY..
I am serious. 
This is where most people get into trouble.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. That being said (again), copy protection doesn't work. It doesn't. iLok was cracked a couple of weeks ago and it won't be long before eLicenser is cracked as well. As long as humans are coding these applications, they will have flaws and smarter humans will exploit those flaws.

The only solution is biometrics coupled with artificial intelligence which will reliably detect when the system is being probed in a hack attempt and re-writing the code on the fly. And when we finally reach that point, the world is going to be so scary that hacking ProTools is going to be a nit in comparison.
2015/12/30 23:17:58
yorolpal
You can solve most of your missing iLok problems by delaying its startup. Google same or search the forum for same. It solved my problems in this regard but I've just arrived home from a debauchery tinged evening out and can barely speak in my native tongue or I'd explain exactly how to do this. But trust me...this will help.
2015/12/31 00:23:55
Fleer
Tell us, ol' pal, about the debauchery, but particularly also about the startup delay trick!
2015/12/31 10:47:02
pentimentosound
Ignoring the "debate parts", I came here hoping to learn how well iLOK stuff works in SPLAT, because I'm considering the Eventide H3000 deal that ends tonight. If I were more the PC whiz type I might feel more confident of it.....

Michael
2015/12/31 10:53:35
bitflipper
Honestly, much as I hate dongles I wouldn't let it stop me from getting some product that I really, really wanted. Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me yet.
2015/12/31 11:14:55
pentimentosound
Good point Bit, I had Groove Agent 2 on a Pace dongle for a long time without issue.

Michael
2015/12/31 12:05:32
TerraSin
bitflipperHonestly, much as I hate dongles I wouldn't let it stop me from getting some product that I really, really wanted. Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me yet.

This. I don't like them but this is a business and they are required for some top end plugins.
2015/12/31 13:16:18
Fleer
Couldn't live without my Slate stuff.
2015/12/31 13:26:45
scook
pentimentosound
Ignoring the "debate parts", I came here hoping to learn how well iLOK stuff works in SPLAT, because I'm considering the Eventide H3000 deal that ends tonight. If I were more the PC whiz type I might feel more confident of it.....

Michael

Probably not the best thread for this. The only issue I have seen with Eventide Anthology X is here http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3342467 and it was an older version of UltraChannel. Updating to the current version solved the problem. So far no issues with PC based licenses on Win10 in Platinum.
2015/12/31 13:29:27
pentimentosound
Thanks Steve. Now it's a matter of do I buy it or a Vox amp?!?! LOL I'm working on both, of course.
Happy 2016!

Michael
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account