Helpful ReplySo what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/27 12:43:32 (permalink)
Beepster

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Lexington-crashes-during-recording-in-CompingSound-on-Sound-m3341674.aspx

If that IS the case I cannot update to Lexington. It does strike me as system specific.

I was unable to reproduce this problem using Arturia's Wurlizter V.
First recorded the Synth on its own, then set a loop and turned on Comping mode, loop around three times, stopped recording without a crash.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/27 13:06:00 (permalink)
Wookiee
Beepster

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Lexington-crashes-during-recording-in-CompingSound-on-Sound-m3341674.aspx

If that IS the case I cannot update to Lexington. It does strike me as system specific.

I was unable to reproduce this problem using Arturia's Wurlizter V.
First recorded the Synth on its own, then set a loop and turned on Comping mode, loop around three times, stopped recording without a crash.

Yeah I saw your post. Thanks for checking it out, Wookster.
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/27 14:46:43 (permalink)
You're STILL not updated yet?!  

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/27 14:54:10 (permalink)
BobF
You're STILL not updated yet?!  

Blapples deep in a project... for another. My mind is in the tune at the moment.

Despite my incessant navel gazing around here I am a bit of an artsy frucker and the update process would crush the flow.

Once it's written and fired off for approval I'll be updating before tracking the finals.

;-)
arlen2133
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 601
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 15:56:50 (permalink)
Hi Beepster,
I did get a chance to take Lexington out for a few runs. 
At first glance, it was indeed snappier then Kingston (whoo hoo) and played nicely.
I haven't had any problems with midi, aux tracks, take lanes or the likes.

That's NOT to say I didn't have any crashes...
Had two -the second one was on purpose to see if I could repeat the first one.
It appears that one of my plugins (eventide ultrachannel) doesn't like it anymore if I change the track it's on from stereo to mono.  When I mix, I typically change the Master bus from stereo to mono and pan to the left.  This continues to work fine in Lexington.  Sometimes though I want to check a track out for phase or whatever.  Tried this out with the ultrachannel on it and it immediately crashed SP.  Didn't do that in Kingston. 

Didn't file report yet cause during the holiday, I would probe the forum to see if anyone else was having issues.
This post let me know some have (most haven't).  I'll submit it and see if they've got a fix for it.

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 16:21:20 (permalink)
arlen2133
Hi Beepster,
I did get a chance to take Lexington out for a few runs. 
At first glance, it was indeed snappier then Kingston (whoo hoo) and played nicely.
I haven't had any problems with midi, aux tracks, take lanes or the likes.

That's NOT to say I didn't have any crashes...
Had two -the second one was on purpose to see if I could repeat the first one.
It appears that one of my plugins (eventide ultrachannel) doesn't like it anymore if I change the track it's on from stereo to mono.  When I mix, I typically change the Master bus from stereo to mono and pan to the left.  This continues to work fine in Lexington.  Sometimes though I want to check a track out for phase or whatever.  Tried this out with the ultrachannel on it and it immediately crashed SP.  Didn't do that in Kingston. 

Didn't file report yet cause during the holiday, I would probe the forum to see if anyone else was having issues.
This post let me know some have (most haven't).  I'll submit it and see if they've got a fix for it.

Thanks, Arlen. I don't have that plug... and actually pretty much stick to the included plugin suite aside from a few specific goodies I've gathered along the way (mostly Cake stuff as well but some seemingly Sonar friendly third party gack).

I think I have ONE more little part to write for my current session then a quick mix before I fire it off for approval. Then I'm gonna jump in balls first on Lexington and use Windows restore as my failsafe before doing my final tracks (and all the other wackiness I may do on top of that).

It would be a hardcore session so will likely expose any definciencies. I think I'll probably give the Aux track stuff a rudimentary workout too since that seems to be working well for others and would certainly benefit my weird arse workflow.

Cheers.

PS: You should post a thread about the Eventide thing. I'm not sure but I think Stratman might use that one and I'm sure others do as well so you'd be providing a service by posting the issue. Sadly I cannot test that one for ya.

Good luck.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 16:24:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby arlen2133 2015/12/28 22:10:18
Eventide rarely announces updates to their products. I just checked and there was an update last Oct. I just tested UltraChannel v2.0.23 and the Oct 2015 update 2.0.29, by adding the plug-in to the master bus, toggling the track interleave while the transport was running. Lexington did not crash on me.
arlen2133
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 16:33:55 (permalink)
Thanks Steve for checking that for me. I'll have to go get the update and check it out.  Did you check it on a track?

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

scook
Forum Host
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 16:54:29 (permalink)
It did not crash on tracks or buses.
arlen2133
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 17:01:52 (permalink)
Good to know. I'll update that plug and see what we got.
Thanks again.

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 21:27:25 (permalink)
arlen2133
Good to know. I'll update that plug and see what we got.
Thanks again.

I have the most recent build of Anthology X because I'm doing an in-depth Pro Review of it on Harmony Central. It's been totally painless, mono or stereo, on Lexington.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
arlen2133
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 21:59:53 (permalink)
scook
Eventide rarely announces updates to their products. I just checked and there was an update last Oct. I just tested UltraChannel v2.0.23 and the Oct 2015 update 2.0.29, by adding the plug-in to the master bus, toggling the track interleave while the transport was running. Lexington did not crash on me.

Thanks again Steve for the advice..
UPDATE: This is v2.1.2 now.  Worked like a charm. 
So, as I said before, I don't have any issues with Lexington.  I'm good for now. 

Craig, thanks for checking in and letting me know.  Sometimes i forget to check for updates.  Forum is a good reminder. 
post edited by arlen2133 - 2015/12/28 22:13:33

Arlen
aka
Mr Grant
my music

scook
Forum Host
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2015/12/28 22:16:10 (permalink)
Yeah, I misread the update page. The latest is 2.1.2. Glad the update works for you.

Craig, thanks for the link.
wtreppler
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 13:04:15 (permalink)
1) Delete/Cut special not pulling all clips to the left if a portion of the selected track does not have a clip in it.
2) When trying to delete multiple clips in a track all at once, only a portion of them are deleted.

Bug reports submitted. Not, got to figure out how to roll back to a previous version so I don't have to be Gibson's (unwilling) beta tester.

Wally
Above The Dogs, LLC
www.abovethedogs.com
jeteague
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 13:43:12 (permalink)
   I do not want to derail this thread, so I will simply state that I seem to be having difficulties similar to what "BeerFox" describes.  See thread "Sonar Crash with multiple MIDI Take Lanes" in Problem Reports.  I hasten to add that my problems may be a quirk of my setup.
Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 13:59:12 (permalink)
I've been working with Lex since I first posted this and have had nothing but problems (compared to Foxboro).

Lexington is sluggish, glitchy and erratic. I am very disappointed with this update and am going to have to try installing an earlier version.

Also the Aux track stuff, which was one of the main reasons I updated, are kind of more hassle than they're worth because of the screwed up Solo stuff (which does not allow you to just solo a track... you have to solo the track and the Aux... and of course UNsolo them again after... bad workflow).

So yeah... ya'll know I'm not one to crap on a release for no reason but I am seriously underwhelmed with Lex.

The performance improvements (another thing I was updating for) seem to be non existent on my system and actually taken multiple steps backwards on my rig.  Must only be for Win10 users or something (I'm on Win7).

Ugh. Seriously I don't like making negative reports like this but it ain't good. Maybe Kingston will be better.
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 15:48:52 (permalink)
No, I'm on Windows 10, and when I updated to Lexington after a long hiatus, just to see how things were going, I found it to be a noticeable step backwards as well performance wise.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 16:01:01 (permalink)
It's odd how people's experience differs.

I'm running Lex on 2 systems - 1 Win 7 & 1 Win 10 and Lex, for me, is by far the most consistently stable release ever.

Hell, I've even got Pentagon to work on both!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 17:00:19 (permalink)
Manchester looks like the aux track Solo is resolved.

I am also not seeing any noticeable "speed" improvements on my machine either, so not sure where the common thread lies (also Win7 here).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 17:27:18 (permalink)
mettelus
Manchester looks like the aux track Solo is resolved.

I am also not seeing any noticeable "speed" improvements on my machine either, so not sure where the common thread lies (also Win7 here).

Yeah... I saw that in the eZine which is great. But if the performance is similar to Lex i'mma gonna be in a conundrum.

Do I go forwards for the Aux Solo (and maybe be stuck with crappy performance) or backwards (and be stuck with crummy Aux routing solo functionality... or no Aux tracks at all).

Thing is I KNOW some of this performance stuff is because I switched back to using 96khz but still, it should not be THIS bad. I used 96khz on many projects in the past and it was fine. Now I'm having to REAM my i/o and interface buffers and freeze stuff.

Methinks us Win7 users have been left in the dust. They said they were gonna drop us at some point but wouldn't say when (after I asked).
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/19 20:47:39 (permalink)
Beepster

Methinks us Win7 users have been left in the dust. They said they were gonna drop us at some point but wouldn't say when (after I asked).

I don't think this is true at all Beepster. Many people, myself included, are running Lexington on windows 7 without issue, Confirmational bias kicks in when we have problems - we seek out any common factor whether it is  the cause of our woes or not. 

Just roll back to an earlier version until your DAW performance improves. It takes no time to do. If it doesn't improve, come back to Lexington and let the troubleshooting begin.
post edited by tenfoot - 2016/01/19 21:00:57

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 10:13:45 (permalink)
tenfoot
Beepster

I don't think this is true at all Beepster. Many people, myself included, are running Lexington on windows 7 without issue, Confirmational bias kicks in when we have problems - we seek out any common factor whether it is  the cause of our woes or not. 

Just roll back to an earlier version until your DAW performance improves. It takes no time to do. If it doesn't improve, come back to Lexington and let the troubleshooting begin.

No, really. The quote was quite literally "We will stop testing on Win7 soon" (or something very close to that wording but "soon" was definitely used). That was posted a little while after Sonar 2105 was released. I think it was Noel or Ryan. They would not elaborate on when and it's not really the type of thing I think they'd announce.

Anyway... my point wasn't that it isn't working. It was that a) they may have indeed stopped testing on Win7 machines now, b) that the performance improvements touted in Lex were possibly acheived by taking advantage of stuff in Win10 that does not exist in Win7 and c) that SOME hardware configurations running on Win7 may start LOSING performance because the program wasn't tested as rigorously as it would have been with X3 or at the start of 2015.

Lexington "works" but as I said it is definitely not faster (on MY system) and I've been getting a lot of lags, glitches and dropouts since installing it (while working on a rather modest project compared to previous projects). It's just general stuff that adds up. It kind of reminds me of how X2 used to get weird on me all the time... except not as bad (thankfully).

Others had no problems X2 while I found it almost unusable. X3 was perfect on my system (aside from some specific bugs) as has SPlat been up until and including Foxboro (my last version) but now getting wonky with Lex.

Just reporting what;s happening and speculating on what has been said in the past about Win7. I know they can't support old OS's in perpetuity and continue to expand the program so if that IS the case I may have to just suck it up and either upgrade to 10 or lock the system down to use the last verison of Sonar that works.

Alternatively I may have to resort to the plan I had when X2 was giving me nothing but headaches. Since most of my issues are generally related to tracking and editing I was going to start using Cubase or Reaper to track and edit then import the final takes into Sonar for mixing (which is a far superior environment for mixing IMO).

I'll just have to do some tinkering to see if I can avoid that. Maybe JP or Kingston will play nicer on my rig or hopefully the new Manchester update will be better.

That does make me wonder whether the included Melodyne 4 will work in older versions or if it's going to be locked to Manchester like other things were in the past.

Cheers.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 10:21:27 (permalink)
That was posted a little while after Sonar 2105 was released

No problem then. I don't plan one being around for an other  90 years 

Nah, seriously, I did read that support for Windows 7 "would not continue indefinitely" but I don't recall the word "soon" being mentioned.

I bloody well hope not 'cos my main DAW is still on 7 and my interface will not run under Win 10 and I'm not ready to buy a new one (yet).

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 10:46:04 (permalink)
"Sonar 2150."

And apparently I keep moving forward in time at an alarming rate.

HALP!

and accidentally overwriting my original posts instead of creating new ones so this doesn't makes sense...

lol
post edited by Beepster - 2016/01/20 10:55:03
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 10:51:50 (permalink)
Give Kingston a try Beepster - I saw a very significant performance increase on both of my systems running win 7 with it (there was actually a post on the forum where one of the bakers stated that the perfrmance enhancements were for all windows versions). I have Lexington on both now and haven't seen any loss of performance, but I haven't really pushed either system at this stage. 

I understand that eventually Win 7 will not be supported, but I hope it is not as soon as you think.  I like win 10, but the inability to turn off updates is a terrible Idea and an unacceptable risk in a comercial studio or live performance situation. I shouldn't have to worrry that something may stop working every time I connect to the internet then restart my computer, only to have to wait 10mins whilst updates load. Hopefully someone clever will come up with a permanent solution for that little microsoft gem:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
bjornpdx
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 10:52:25 (permalink)
Responding to finding any problems with Lexington:
An intermittent problem that's come up for me is that the play/pause doesn't work after loading a project.
I'll hit the space bar or click the Play button and nothing happens. Then I have to close the project, open it again and then everything is fine.

I haven't seen anyone else reporting this issue, so maybe it's something unique to my setup. If I find a pattern to it I'll report it to Cakewalk, but so far it's been pretty random.  It does happen pretty often tho.

Bjorn
soundcloud.com/orygun
www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 10:54:05 (permalink)
I'm on Windows 10 Beep and I am seeing much the same performance you are. This started problem under Lexington. 

Best
John
Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 11:01:23 (permalink)
John
I'm on Windows 10 Beep and I am seeing much the same performance you are. This started problem under Lexington. 

Yeah... that seems to indicate something weird is going on because I don't recall the last time you've ever had issues aside from one off confirmable bugs on your rig.

It's like by stomping on the gas pedal to get more speed it's rattled some bolts loose for some of us (but not all).

Really hoping Manchester works out but I will check out Kingston if not.

I do really need to learn Reaper basics though so maybe this is just fate nudging me in that direction and then Sonar will sort itself out when it's time to wander home.

Cheers!
Beepster
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 11:01:23 (permalink)
and now I'm stuck in a time loop... lulz.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: So what's the verdict on Lexington? Anyone found any problems yet? 2016/01/20 11:32:19 (permalink)
Beepster
John

Yeah... that seems to indicate something weird is going on because I don't recall the last time you've ever had issues aside from one off confirmable bugs on your rig.

It's like by stomping on the gas pedal to get more speed it's rattled some bolts loose for some of us (but not all).

Really hoping Manchester works out but I will check out Kingston if not.

I do really need to learn Reaper basics though so maybe this is just fate nudging me in that direction and then Sonar will sort itself out when it's time to wander home.

Cheers!

No need to swear Beep by calling up the grim reaper.   What we need is for CW to help out with this. 
At present most of my projects are touchy to play back due to this problem. The first core on my quad core CPU is being hammered. The others are also running high. Through out the year this was not happening only with the last update did this start to happen. I have even increased my ASIO buffer with no reduction of the CPU usage. There is something going on internally that is causing this and I don't know what it is. I also checked my system latency and it is good. So I don't know what could be the problem. 

Best
John
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1