• Computers
  • How do Sonar handle CPU utilization?
2017/09/18 09:24:58
katsuneshinsengumi
Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my pc but I'm torn between AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and Intel Core i7 7700. As far as I can tell, the AMD is great for multicore processing, and intel's strong point is single threaded performance. So my question is, do Sonar favor multicore like video editing software or does it prefer less cores but higher performance? I would appreciate if you guys can throw documents and benchmarks because I can't find one specific to Sonar.

Thank you,
2017/09/18 10:33:11
fireberd
From other posts about Ryzen on this forum, it appears Ryzen is good for gaming but Intel is best for recording and has lower latency.  
2017/09/18 14:03:58
katsuneshinsengumi
I've been reading benchmarks and watching videos, most conclusion is Intel Core for gaming because if single threaded performance since most games dont really utilize alot of cores and AMD Ryzen for professional applications because of multicore utilization, my problem with those reviews is except for games, they only have benchmark for file compression, 2d, 3d and video rendering. Not a single one for professional audio applications like Sonar or even Pro Tools.
2017/09/18 14:30:21
scook
2017/09/18 17:40:12
Starise
Sonar will handle Intel multi cores very well. Some of this is dependent on how threading is implemented.

In Platinum we have a visual representation of the cores and you can see which cores are pushed the hardest. One recently added feature is plug in load balancing. This is yet another way to work to more evenly distribute the entire load of a complex mix.  SPLAT is made to take advantage of multicore. 

In my mixes, the load is spread fairly evenly with the entire system seldom  breaking a sweat on any of my cores.

The way Intel .vs AMD systems use the cores works a little differently.  While the specs might look better for multi thread work in Ryzen, it all depends on how the cores are being used through software. In some ways this is like an apples .vs oranges comparison. 

The two are competitive in trying to do similar things, yet there are patents, so one needs to find another way to do the same things.These different approaches can yield different results.

I can only speak from experience with Intel. I've never seem any problems with Sonar Platinum having any difficulty whatsoever in using all of the cores in my 5820K. 
Am I making any sense to you here?

2017/09/18 19:30:22
abacab
The link that scook posted is a good reference to some testing performed by a reputable professional DAW builder. Jim Roseberry.  He will not build Ryzen DAWs for clients.

2017/09/19 00:05:50
Kev999
katsuneshinsengumi
...my question is, do Sonar favor multicore like video editing software or does it prefer less cores but higher performance?...

You can easily tell if Sonar is making use of multiple cores. Just load up one of your biggest projects and look at the CPU meters in the Performance Module on the Control Bar.

Also, you need to check out this recent thread:
i7-6850k vs. i7-7700k vs. Ryzen 1800x
2017/09/19 03:50:13
katsuneshinsengumi
scook
maybe this will help http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3641815

That was helpful Scook thank you
2017/09/19 03:52:38
katsuneshinsengumi
Starise
Sonar will handle Intel multi cores very well. Some of this is dependent on how threading is implemented.

In Platinum we have a visual representation of the cores and you can see which cores are pushed the hardest. One recently added feature is plug in load balancing. This is yet another way to work to more evenly distribute the entire load of a complex mix.  SPLAT is made to take advantage of multicore. 

In my mixes, the load is spread fairly evenly with the entire system seldom  breaking a sweat on any of my cores.

The way Intel .vs AMD systems use the cores works a little differently.  While the specs might look better for multi thread work in Ryzen, it all depends on how the cores are being used through software. In some ways this is like an apples .vs oranges comparison. 

The two are competitive in trying to do similar things, yet there are patents, so one needs to find another way to do the same things.These different approaches can yield different results.

I can only speak from experience with Intel. I've never seem any problems with Sonar Platinum having any difficulty whatsoever in using all of the cores in my 5820K. 
Am I making any sense to you here?

Yeah I do get the point, I'm leaning on intel now because of this and the fact that there are stability and compatibility issues with Ryzen(considering it's the first generation anyway).
2017/09/19 06:37:03
katsuneshinsengumi
Kev999
katsuneshinsengumi
...my question is, do Sonar favor multicore like video editing software or does it prefer less cores but higher performance?...

You can easily tell if Sonar is making use of multiple cores. Just load up one of your biggest projects and look at the CPU meters in the Performance Module on the Control Bar.

Also, you need to check out this recent thread:
i7-6850k vs. i7-7700k vs. Ryzen 1800x

I can tell from my current setup that it's maxing out but I'm using an AMD A8-6600k so I'm pretty sure it is maxing out because it's inadequate for the job. Not necessarily because it tells me Sonar works great for multicore cpu or less core with higher single threaded performance.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account