• SONAR
  • Delay starting when pressing play SOLVED or at least a workaround (p.3)
2018/10/28 21:03:01
rodreb
But, does this mean you can no longer arm tracks for recording during playback? (ie punching in)
2018/10/28 21:14:54
scook
Punch recording is not affected by the setting. "Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record" is a per-project setting. When off, the transport must be stopped to toggle the record state of a track.
2018/10/28 21:30:22
JJ9
rodreb
But, does this mean you can no longer arm tracks for recording during playback? (ie punching in)

No, you can't arm tracks during playback. At least we no longer have the annoying delay, lets hope the tech team can fix so we are able to use this feature 
2018/10/29 03:35:17
rodreb
Manual punch ins are a huge part of my recording workflow. I grew up on analog tape so, it's just a part of me. Hopefully, they will get this all sorted out and fix the issue. If I'm not mistaken, it appears to only be happening with Focusrite interfaces. Is that correct?
2018/10/29 07:34:40
JJ9
rodreb
Manual punch ins are a huge part of my recording workflow. I grew up on analog tape so, it's just a part of me. Hopefully, they will get this all sorted out and fix the issue. If I'm not mistaken, it appears to only be happening with Focusrite interfaces. Is that correct?

Mines a focusrite...now we know the key words to do a search it may be worth trying to find old threads to see what others are using who have this problem. I found a post from 2008;
http://forum.cakewalk.com...backquot-m1514027.aspx
He was using MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer
2018/10/29 17:14:00
Blogospherianman
rodreb

As Scook pointed out, Manual punch ins aren't affected, only the ability to Arm a track while playing back or recording. Long as you're stopped while choosing which tracks you're going to record, you can still punch in or out on those tracks as much as you please. I have the Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56.
2018/10/29 19:39:35
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
How many inputs do you have selected in the audio preferences? If you have an audio interface with several inputs (16 or more) selected and allow arm changes during playback/record is enabled, then starting playback has to always be ready to record which means there is more setup to do whenever the transport is started including initializing the device inputs and opening files for recording. If you have many inputs on your device and aren't actually using them all you can optimize by deselecting the ones you don't use in preferences.

Also as others have said you can always punch in and out of recording at any time irrespect of this. Allow arm changes just lets you retroactively ARM a track anytime without stopping playback first.
2018/10/30 11:45:07
chuckebaby
I have always had this option deselected in preferences.
When punching in, I just use the "R" key while the transport is rolling.

Im not even sure how one would benefit from "Allow arm changes during playback". possibly for live (on the fly) edit recording. ?
2018/10/30 14:28:33
mettelus
chuckebaby
Im not even sure how one would benefit from "Allow arm changes during playback". possibly for live (on the fly) edit recording. ?

I have been curious about this as well, maybe for those moments when you get the sudden premonition, "In 6 seconds I will play the coolest lick EVER recorded, but not be able to repeat it for the rest of my natural life."

If I had premonitions like that I would rather, "In 6 seconds I will know the winning lottery numbers, but only for today."
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account