2016/01/07 20:04:11
Snehankur
Can I put this Feature Request ?
Patch Point is working fine with audio. Can this be extended to MIDI tracks as well? Yes we can external resources like Virtual MIDI Cable. But would be better if it is within the DAW : will be better visibility, control and structured.

Regards
SG

Reason of submitting this FR:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/MIDI-Patch-Point-m3347767.aspx#3348384

EDIT 1: TITLE.
2016/01/08 22:38:14
stevec
Seems like a great 2016 feature to me!

2016/01/08 23:56:23
Snehankur
stevec

Then please cast a vote
Regards
Snehankur
2016/01/09 09:37:31
Snehankur
Also the usage of virtual cable I think creating latency and in some cases I am getting confused with the MIDI Echo, trying to figure out.
2016/01/09 10:31:36
stevec
Snehankur
stevec

Then please cast a vote
Regards
Snehankur

Already did!
2016/01/09 20:36:58
Snehankur
I am also thinking as to be MIDI-HUB rather than MIDI Patch Point.
Reason:
Patch points what I have observed can be created from output section of a track.
Patch Points gets automatically destroyed once there is no connection.
So while modifying if we remove the last connection thinking to connect something else, we will find the Patch point is not existing.
Its more dynamic creation/destruction.

I am visualizing MIDI-HUB as we can create from Menu in a new Window at the centre. On the left as well as on the right we will have list of all the MIDI tracks. Clicking on each track will expand each one with 16 channel. On the left they will depict MIDI-Out and for the right will be for MIDI-IN.

Drag and drop from channel number to MIDI-HUB will make the connection to respective channels.
Holding CTRL will make multi channel selection possible.

MIDI HUB will not get destroyed even if all the connections are removed.
Thinking more options...

Regards
SG

2016/01/10 12:31:01
wst3
I might give away my age and proclivities with this, but I wonder if any of the bakers are familiar with an older sequencer called Bars&Pipes which lived on the Amiga.

Granted, this was written before anyone dared to dream of audio in the computer  (although I did have a decent audio card that let me sync my MIDI to audio, eventually), so the programmers had quite a bit of freedom that is only a memory today.

Anyway, the basic architecture was inputs, outputs, pipelines, and processors. Processors could exist anywhere, and some of the more interesting processors allowed one to send data to multiple pipelines. All processing could be destructive (between input and pipeline) or non-destructive (between pipeline and output).

It probably sounds simplistic, but it wasn't. You could do some really amazing tricks!

All that said because I've often wondered if it would be possible for Cakewalk to implement something similar for MIDI in Sonar. When the patch points appeared I thought about asking for something similar for MIDI, just didn't get there yet<G>! And the HUB idea above sounds like an even more interesting/flexible implementation of the idea.

So yeah... one more "AYE" for MIDI Patchpoints  in one form or another!
2016/01/10 18:50:23
Snehankur
Thank you very much Bill.

wst3
It probably sounds simplistic, but it wasn't. You could do some really amazing tricks!

I wanted to do the following: 
a. Track 1 Ch-1 [MIDI] : having chords only  [sending chord notes only]
b. Track 2 Ch-2 [MIDI] : A MIDI Arp plug-in [Nora/Cream]  [To receive chords from Track1 and send to Track 7]
c. Track 3 Ch-3 [MIDI] : Strum GS-2 [To receive chords from Track1 and strum according to the pattern selected within GS-2]
d. Track 4 Ch-4 [MIDI] : AcGtr 6 string picking pattern
Track 7 Ch-* [MIDI] : VSTi -01
Track 8 Ch-8 [MIDI] : Ample/Real (demo) Acoustic Guitar [To receive chords from Track1 and Picking pattern from Track-4]
Track 1 also need to send chords to LoopBe1.
External One-ManBand [OMB] will receive chords from LoopBe1 [Ch-1] and will send accompaniment via LoopBe1 Ch-9-16
Track 9-16 : Ch-9-16 : Loaded with VSTi will receive data through LoopBe1
Here I need to send MIDI Data from Track 1 to : LoopBe1, Track-2, Track-3 and Track-8.

wst3
And the HUB idea above sounds like an even more interesting/flexible implementation of the idea.

Now I think it would be much easier and simple for user to handle the situation with MIDI-HUB [and complex part remains with our Excellent Bakers who have given us SONAR]

I thought to put the Interface diagram but I couldn't (copy_Paste not working it seems.]

Also don't know how many votes required for a Feature Request for not being unnoticed while passing through the Bakers Street !
2016/01/15 03:01:06
Snehankur
Alongwith the track list the external MIDI ports should also appear as MIDI in and MIDI out, so that we can distribute to multiple tracks.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account