• Software
  • Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2 - possible bug (?) SOLVED (p.3)
2017/08/29 17:30:14
Mesh
That's very interesting Bart. Obviously, Kenny's got it working well with Loopmidi.......I suppose there's a bit of testing to see what works best for us.

I'm also thinking on the same lines (regarding your 2 AI's using ASIO).......I remember reading somewhere that ASIO doesn't like to share it's drivers.  
2017/08/29 18:39:01
kennywtelejazz
bwbalint
My guess is that the particular drivers for the VS-100 don't allow 2 programs to use the ASIO drivers at the same time.  I did email the folks at JamOrigin, and literally got their response within 45 minutes! Here it is:

'Hi Bart,
via loopmidi will never be faster then via loaded VST, which is the fastest method for use with DAW. Setting your DAW's audio settings to 256 or beneath ( beware of CPU overlaod there) will make it respond faster.
We don't know much about invidual ASIO driver's characteristics: most ASIO drivers allow more clients as far as we know.

Best,
Paul
Jam Origin'

I did go into Win10 audio properties and uncheck 'allow applications to take exclusive control of this device', but this doesn't seem to have done everything.  

So for now I will have fun playing with JamOrigin MIDI Guitar2 as a VST in Sonar Plt.

I'm sorry you were having a problem . I'm real happy for you that you contacted Jam Origin to solve it .

I have corresponded with Ole K...for all my Midi Guitar needs over the  years . I'm sorry I do not know Paul..

Now, it is very possible that Paul's  statement is entirely correct provided the person that is using Midi Guitar is running A Pro Level or close to a Pro Level computer for their DAW  . Lets say at least an i 7 and up w an SD H.D.  w lots of RAM and a solid ASIO interface .

The personal computers I own and run currently do not meet the level of pro level quality computers optimized for DAW use only .
I have WHAT i CALL "placeholder computers" .They are decent enough to pull enough tracks for me to create the music I do for now until I can afford to drop the money on a real Pro computer ...
Sure I can get the ASIO buffer size down to 256 for only a small number of tracks .
My current computers  need a buffer setting of in the range of 512 for me to get my work done ...24 to 45 tracks

Midi Guitar as a synth enabled plugin inside of SONAR will not work correctly at that size buffer ( 512 ) for me .

Fast for some people is everything . Accuracy and ease of use counts more in my book ...

I  had my share of problems using MIDI GUITAR inside of SONAR with the computers I own ...
Not so on both my Mac's

I solved it. I came up with a work around that works perfectly for me .

Kenny

2017/08/30 05:45:08
kennywtelejazz
smallstonefan
kennywtelejazz
smallstonefan
I was able to get this technique working with Ableton Live but not with Sonar. Still, WAY better tracking this way Kenny thanks! 

I'm going to play around with some settings and get this optimized. I see myself rendering the song to a file and having a very small project with that file and a synth and recording. This will require exporting the midi and/or audio and bringing back into Sonar, but I used to do the same the other direction with vocal takes so that's all good.

VERY encouraging! :)

I saw both your posts , Oh Yeah James , I'm real glad you are making progress .
This whole Midi Guitar thing can be a Whole Universe Unto itself ...

all the best,

Kenny

Kenny - we ever get to meet I owe you a drink! :) I have owned so many midi guitar devices and got rid of every single one of them - I have NEVER been able to fully enjoy the midi experience. I have had midi guitar for some time as well but again never could get acceptable latency in Sonar or Ableton.

you fixed that!

Last night I copped a buzz and just played with different synths, finally settling on Iris 2 and just clicking through the presets while playing. I had SO MUCH FUN! :) I just wrapped up my new song and I'm about to start another and it will be a new experiencing since I'll use midi guitar to start the creative process.

I know need to figure out how to incorporate this into my workflow - but that should just take a bit of experimenting.

Teaching me how to set it up this was truly a gift - THANK YOU!

Hi James ,

I'm real happy for you that you are getting good results now ...

If we ever meet , I'll be happy to have a cup of black coffee w no sugar I quit drinking 34 years ago .

all the best,

Kenny

PS ,  What I suggested here is even on the Jam origin web site listed under using another DAW in Windows
2017/08/30 07:04:07
kennywtelejazz
Mesh
 Obviously, Kenny's got it working well with Loopmidi.......I suppose there's a bit of testing to see what works best for us.

Thank you Mesh , I appreciate that you had a kind diplomatic word to say 

Tonight using a Windows computer I used Midi Guitar standalone set at 64 ms running out my 2i4's Midi output into a Full Sized Keyboard work station ... I recorded this rig  as real time audio into SONAR ..

I Love to run my i Mac as a hardware unit / live performance work station VIA Mainstage into a computer that has SONAR on it .
I use Midi Guitar through my Mac at 64 ms while sending out my audio out  from my Mac and Appogee converters into  a 2i4 USB SC into a Windows machine ...while recording all my synth tracks as audio in SONAR ...

here's a taste of a review I did 2 years ago

In this thread I put Midi Guitar up against Melodyne in a later post
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Video-Convert-Audio-to-MIDI-in-SONAR-m3360593.aspx

I had sent Noel a PM with the audio to midi file I used as a Blind test . He thought I used Melodyne and he wanted to tell the developers about the conversion I did ...
I told him it was Midi Guitar and that I didn't want to post it in a Cakewalk thread ..
He actually suggested to me that I post it in the Cakewalk thread ....which I did ...it can be found here
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3365474

I bet most folks don't know that I tried to get Cakewalk VIA Noel and Jam Origin VIA Ole to offer Midi Guitar as a Cakewalk 3 rd party add on ....I have the PM's and the e mails to prove it they will remain private ...
For what ever reason , that one never came off the ground ....

I have no affiliation with the company , yet I do try to help people when I can ...
I have taken this much further than most people here can Imagine ...

Loop Midi inside of Midi Guitar on a Win machine (at times ) is only one small little tip of the iceberg ... 

all the best,

Kenny

2017/08/30 11:17:40
smallstonefan
Kenny,

I drink my coffee black as well! :)

I've got a few hours this afternoon set aside to just play with Midi Guitar. I'm looking forward to it!
2017/09/09 12:32:49
mudgel
Sonar used t have a setting Share drivers with other programs. They've changed the naming of the feature but you'll find it under preferences probably in the audio section. This will allow Sonar and other programs to share the ASIO driver.
Otherwise what will happen is that whichever program has focus in Windows will acces the ASIO driver.
2017/09/13 15:16:32
Mesh
mudgel
Sonar used t have a setting Share drivers with other programs. They've changed the naming of the feature but you'll find it under preferences probably in the audio section. This will allow Sonar and other programs to share the ASIO driver.
Otherwise what will happen is that whichever program has focus in Windows will acces the ASIO driver.

Do you find any issues when Sonar shares the ASIO driver? (I've read that ASIO doesn't like to do this, but never tried it).
2017/09/19 18:51:29
bluzdog
For anyone that's having a hard time using asio with both Sonar and Midi Guitar at the same time: Try the wasapi driver for Sonar and leave the asio driver for Midi Guitar.

Rocky
2017/09/20 00:00:24
space_cowboy
smallstonefan
I was able to get this technique working with Ableton Live but not with Sonar. Still, WAY better tracking this way Kenny thanks! 

I'm going to play around with some settings and get this optimized. I see myself rendering the song to a file and having a very small project with that file and a synth and recording. This will require exporting the midi and/or audio and bringing back into Sonar, but I used to do the same the other direction with vocal takes so that's all good.

VERY encouraging! :)

James
I dont know if you are still having issues with the  Apollo and Sonar and MIDI Guitar.  I have a very similar setup and have very few issues.  This is not a UAD/Sonar issue as others I know have that combo working as well.  
2017/10/01 11:33:01
kennywtelejazz
I guess I had it to good for to long Out of the clear blue SONAR got super flaky over here on both my systems .
After going through all the usual suspects config wise I wound updating my Focusrite 2i4 drivers to the current suggested gen 1 driver . That seemed to help .
Great now I can't run Midi Guitar as a standalone as i did before using loop midi into SONAR ...they don't play nice anymore ...
I hope I can get this one figured out ..I was much happier before 

Kenny

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account