• Computers
  • Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...?
2016/02/04 03:38:56
Susan G
Hi-

I had to replace my (dual-boot system) hard drive recently and ultimately it went much more smoothly than I'd expected. I had Macrium Reflect (free version) images of each partition and they restored perfectly. Yay!

I've used Acronis True Image for years, but the 2016 version & I don't get along, so I'm looking to make a change. [I also have ATI 2013, but supposedly that's not compatible with Win 10. I actually have it running without issues on one Win 10 boot, but the other throws messages about incompatibility, so I'll investigate further.]

I like Macrium Reflect, but I need to be able to backup and restore files & folders, which the free version doesn't do. I installed AOMEI Backupper and it's fine for what it does (and free!). One thing I don't like about it is that if you move the backup to another location it won't recognize it. You have to edit the backup properties first and it will copy the file. Not a big deal, I guess, but sometimes not so easy.

Just wondering if anyone has had experiences good or bad and can compare Macrium Reflect (the paid version) vs. AOMEI or suggest something else.

Thanks!

-Susan
2016/02/04 03:53:12
mettelus
A full image will restore all "static" files, which ends up being the lion's share of "size." For data files (the dynamic stuff you want to pick and choose from), I use Windows' xcopy and robocopy for those as they are quick and can be set to "only newer." These I do not compress and simply copy to another drive where Windows Explorer can be used on them. I made a long-winded post a couple of years ago how I set this up if interested (on cell here so can Google my name and xcopy).
2016/02/04 09:36:25
fireberd
I have paid version of Macrium.  I can't compare to AOMEI, but I had Acronis True Image before and Acronis failed me, twice trying to restore, and it didn't get a 3rd chance.  I did try AOMEI for cloning and it didn't work (however Macrium and the clone program that came with a Samsung SSD did not work either).

I create WinPE bootable "rescue" discs.  With Acronis it was a mostly manual operation (and a hassle). With Macrium, they have a utility that does everything.

We all like "free" programs.  But if no one ever supports the provider by buying the full versions, the free ones will eventually go away. 
2016/02/04 23:51:10
Susan G
mettelus
A full image will restore all "static" files, which ends up being the lion's share of "size." For data files (the dynamic stuff you want to pick and choose from), I use Windows' xcopy and robocopy for those as they are quick and can be set to "only newer." These I do not compress and simply copy to another drive where Windows Explorer can be used on them. I made a long-winded post a couple of years ago how I set this up if interested (on cell here so can Google my name and xcopy).

Hi Michael-

I found your post here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2975853&p=2 and will check it out as an option next chance.

Thanks!

-Susan
2016/02/05 00:03:19
Susan G
fireberd
I have paid version of Macrium.  I can't compare to AOMEI, but I had Acronis True Image before and Acronis failed me, twice trying to restore, and it didn't get a 3rd chance.  I did try AOMEI for cloning and it didn't work (however Macrium and the clone program that came with a Samsung SSD did not work either).

I create WinPE bootable "rescue" discs.  With Acronis it was a mostly manual operation (and a hassle). With Macrium, they have a utility that does everything.

We all like "free" programs.  But if no one ever supports the provider by buying the full versions, the free ones will eventually go away. 

Hi Jack-

I certainly have no objection to paying for a backup program as I did for Acronis, but I don't want to pay for the ATI upgrade, since I really don't like the direction it's going in nor the new UI. I upgraded because I liked the cloud option, but that didn't work well for me, so I got a refund.

I didn't have a problem creating rescue media with either ATI or Macrium (or AOMEI, for that matter).

I'm using the Macrium trial now and if all goes well in the next 30 days, I'll probably purchase it after I look at Michaels solution.

Thanks!

-Susan

2016/02/05 01:39:32
mettelus
Hi Susan. My apologies for not digging that up for you earlier. For some reason, Google wants to return the mobile link to that post, but this is the link to it specifically. I am not sure why Google does the mobile link at times. My phone seems to have a conniption fit any time I try to copy/paste a link on it.
2016/02/05 06:19:42
fireberd
My comment about "paying for software" was really a general statement and not specifically to you.  
2016/02/05 11:08:05
JonD
Susan, I own the full version of EaseUS Todo Backup, and use it for scheduled backups of folders (and the occasional image):

http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-home.html

At first I was a tad skeptical because it's cheaper than the competition, but I have to say it's worked for me so far without any surprises.  Mind you, I'm still on Win 8.1. (It does claim to be Win 10 compatible). 

Give the demo a spin.  Good luck!
2016/02/05 11:30:49
BobF
I'm still on 8.1 (and will be as long as possible)

I also use Macrium Reflect free version for images.  I use FFS (also free) for file and folder level backups.  One really cool feature of FFS is that once you setup something via the GUI, you can save it as a batch file that can be scheduled.  The combination works great.

I have no problem using "free" software as a home user - the type of user the vendor targets with their free versions.

2016/02/05 12:41:03
...wicked
JonD
Susan, I own the full version of EaseUS Todo Backup, and use it for scheduled backups of folders (and the occasional image):

http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-home.html

+1. I switched to this from Acronis, and I do image backups of my C drive and file backups of my two data drives. No problems so far and the free version does both of these kinds of backups.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account