2018/02/23 13:03:39
mikedocy
https://www.musicradar.com/news/bandlab-rescues-cakewalk-from-gibson?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21293&utm_term=8419049&utm_content=376864

Cakewalk rescued from Gibson by BandLab

By MusicRadar 2 hours ago 

The Gibson sell-off begins, and Sonar lives on

Shares

BandLab, the quickly growing investment group behind an expanding range of music making hardware and software lines, has today announced the acquisition from Gibson Brands of 'the complete IP of Cakewalk Inc'.
This follows Gibson's decision to cease development on all Cakewalk product, including the well-established Sonar DAW, last year, and the group's recent response to widespread reports of its worsening debt problems.  
“We have been monetizing assets like stock holdings, real property and business segments," said Gibson Brands CEO Henry Juszkiewicz in a defiant statement earlier this week, and this deal looks like a first step along that road.
BandLab themselves seem to be travelling in the opposite direction, having recently acquired and relaunched brands including DJ streaming platform Chew, and cult guitar marques brands Harmony Guitars and Teisco.
Good news The obvious good news is that the deal removes any doubts around support for Cakewalk products in the short term. In the medium to long term, it will be interesting to see if and how BandLab intends to integrate Cakewalk's software and tech into its own online music creation platform.

CEO of BandLab Technologies, Meng Ru Kuok said, “We are very excited to be bringing Cakewalk Inc’s products into the BandLab Technologies stable. Cakewalk has been an industry leader in professional music software, delivering cutting edge technology that has empowered producers and artists alike around the world for more than 30 years. 
"We have immense respect for Cakewalk’s legacy and the incredible community of people who love the brand and rely on its products in both their personal and professional lives."
We'll keep you informed of developments. In the meantime keep a beady eye on cakewalk.bandlab.com for updates.

2018/02/23 16:45:22
Sir William
I'm not bloody forking out again for software I've already bought lifetime upgrades for! The small print stinks!

[[ I’m an existing or old SONAR user and have questions about my old account or subscription or want a refund.

BandLab Technologies did not acquire the operating company of Cakewalk Inc., only the complete set of intellectual property, patents, trademarks and certain assets necessary or related to the entire Cakewalk product suite.

For users of Cakewalk from before 21st February 2018 – please refer to the original Gibson/Cakewalk announcement FAQ ]]
2018/02/23 16:48:44
Westside Steve Simmons
Yes! Looks like I've been beaten to the punch, just saw it on my Google news feed...
I've almost pulled the trigger on Studio One or possibly Cubase but I guess that can wait. Hopefully a goodly number of the bakers will migrate as well.
WSS
2018/02/23 16:52:55
abacab
I understand folks who have already moved on. Or will move on, based on the latest announcement.  I am out my lifetime updates on Platinum, and yes that stinks!

But the reality is that the operating company 'Cakewalk', that we bought the products from, no longer exists.

So any future product releases will require a new business relationship, and for us to become customers of a new company.  Or not, if we so choose...
2018/02/23 18:06:50
Westside Steve Simmons
"Now it might be the devil and it might be the Lord but you're going to have to serve somebody. "

😀 probably going to have to pay somebody from one of the other Daw companies anyway. I had to pay other companies for Hardware when Roland gave us the middle finger for the v700 hardware . Plus I thought that lifetime updates for a few bucks was too good to be true and probably just a way for the company to grab a few bucks before they packed their carpet bags and moved on.
WSS
2018/02/23 18:07:43
Westside Steve Simmons
I wonder if Anderton is going to be involved? Plus I'm not worried, I have Jim Roseberry on speed dial...
WSS
2018/02/23 18:13:50
Just Another Bloke
Maybe y'all should rad meng's post here about what will be coming.

Key excerpt: 
"...but I quickly wanted to address a key concern I saw in and amongst the threads so far and immediately reassure everyone that even though the suite of Cakewalk & SONAR products is now within a new company, our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product. "

And in a later post in the same thread.
Full post (for the click-lazy bunch): 
"Quick note as it was asked about in another thread - the reason why I am not using the word SONAR when referring to the new flagship product is not because it's planned to be a different product, it's just that we're doing the legal/brand work to make sure calling it that would be the right thing to do and wouldn't cause any confusion in the market given the circumstances over the last couple of months. You can take it to mean "future version of SONAR, or whatever it might be called". "

2018/02/23 20:45:02
paulo
Westside Steve Simmons
I wonder if Anderton is going to be involved? 

Like the proverbial bad smell, he's already turned up upstairs trying to take the credit.

2018/02/23 21:01:47
abacab
I really just don't get the need or the reason for all the Craig bashing.  Is it because he wore a Gibson 'suit' for a while, and that means he is now the 'man' to blame?

From where I sit, all I see is a man who spends a great deal of his personal time helping others to use their tools and create music.  Anyway, for a journalist and musician, a bit of self promotion never hurts ...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account