2015/11/12 16:13:32
yapweiliang
Here is a request to have two methods of linking to MIDI ports, when opening a .cwp file.

The background
---
In older versions of Cakewalk, as long as you kept the correct order of the MIDI ports (also called Outputs), then it didn't matter that you changed the MIDI interface - it would still work.

For example if the existing set up was with a 3-in, 3-out USB MIDI interface like:
Output Port 1 = digital piano
Output Port 2 = Porsche synth
Output Port 3 = Volvo synth

Then if I upgraded or changed my system, the old projects would still work as long as I configured the ports in the correct order.
E.g. it would still work if I replaced it with three 1x1 USB MIDI interfaces.

The problem
---
At some point during the evolution of Cakewalk/Sonar, the .cwp file (I think) started remembering the exact MIDI port and trying to reconnect to the same, when re-opened.

Therefore, if I had a particular interface (for argument, say Audi MIDI interface) set up as above, and I then changed it to a BMW MIDI interface, then 
- when opening a really ancient file - it still works as expected as long as I set up the same, but...
- when opening a more recent .cwp file, it tries to find the saved (Audi) interface ports, not realising that I have already replaced it with the BMW interface.

Of course there are advantages in that, and this is relevant when referencing soft-synths - i.e. it doesn't matter what Output Port they are, you want the same synth (e.g. Dimension Pro).  And it is also relevant when the hardware synth is connected directly to the computer via USB.  

However if the hardware synth is connected by MIDI cable via MIDI interface, then Sonar needs to understand that the MIDI interface in itself is not the synth - it is just the interface.

Also, another forum user has reported that even by plugging the same MIDI USB interface into a different USB socket on the computer sometimes causes Cakewalk to treat it as a completely new device (and therefore cannot 'find' it).

The request
---
When opening a .cwp file, to have the option to

1) attempt to use the specific device(s), e.g. if it was Audi MIDI interface, then to try to find it, and prompt user for substitution if missing (this is the current method as I understand)

or

2) as long as the number of MIDI ports is equal to, or greater, then just go with the port number, not the name (this is what used to happen as the older versions of cakewalk files did not save the name of the port, rather referenced them by number).

I hope this makes sense....

This behavior is observed in Sonar Platinum, and I suspect it is also in the earlier X versions.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/help-please-re-change-in-midi-interface-missing-port-m3314565.aspx#3314833

Thank you very much
2015/11/13 03:43:45
tenfoot
+1 This would be a great feature! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account