• Software
  • Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! (p.10)
2017/12/24 00:48:10
dubdisciple
archiving is smart.  was not trying to make light of it,
2017/12/24 02:32:34
Chompoo
I voted for Samplitude.
2017/12/26 17:51:01
chuckebaby
Matron Landslide
35mm

I'm not emotional about it :) . . .  So no, I'm not emotional about a bit of software. I am pis*ed off about it though! I'm not missing Sonar.

The following   http://forum.cakewalk.com...d-Gibson-m3691009.aspx

35mm

I am gutted at the loss of Cakewalk & Sonar. I literally feel like a good friend has just passed away!

would seem to suggest otherwise, along with other like comments you have made. Comparing the end of a piece of software and software company with the death of a good friend would seem to indicate some type of irrational emotional attachment to said software/company.

And to join the others, Mr Evans is most certainly not a troll. Just because someone doesn't agree with the way you think, or like what you like does not make them a troll.

To be fair that was 5 weeks ago and a lot of people were in shock when that news was first posted.
I personally don't feel like a friend died (you can search that if you'd like ) I am pissed and a bit sad that my main DAW is being rolled over.

I know you don't have an attachment to Sonar like some others here. But try to be honest, if Studio one or Reaper said "That's it boys, we are all done". wouldn't you feel a bit gutted ?

I agree with you and others about Jeff as well. I've learned more from reading his posts than possibly anyone else on this forum (especially his posts about the K System/metering).

2017/12/26 21:11:00
No, I would just move on when and if Studio One ceased to function, or something better came along, (and you can search that, I have posted as such a number of times in the past) It's a tool, nothing more . . .  if your hammer breaks you get a new one, no difference here, switching DAWs, for the most part, is a breeze, the moving projects between can be a PITA, but once done it's done, the basics are pretty much the same, you can be up and running almost immediately.

You must admit there is and has always been a hell of a lot of emotional attachment, and fanboiism at these forums(moreso than anywhere else I have seen by far), to a piece of software and a company, totally irrational in my view, it's not like the software is a person or something, and Cakewalk isn't this devine 'Will/can do no wrong' entity as people seem to think here, they are just like any other company/buisiness, the bottom line is what it's all about, they really couldn't care less about you once they got your cash, it's foolish to think otherwise. I've never understood this emotional attachment, and blind following seen here, never will. It is very much like people outside say about this place, 'brainwashed', and you can see that opinion being validated every day by people switching DAWs and saying things like
'I feel like I have been living under a rock',
'the grass really IS greener on the other side',
'i realize now what we have had to put up with all these years',
'it's like a bad relationship, it's not until you get out you see it for what it is'
(and you can search these, they do actually exist, perhaps not word for word, plus many, many more)
and on and on it goes. I have always felt that if people could just get away from this emotional attachment they have, get away from the social part of these forums, get some distance so they can see things clearly, and give other products an honest and fair try, most would never return to SONAR, and that is what you are seeing now after the separation has been forced. People, long time members and users are speaking more freely, speaking like they wouldn't have dared before, openly admitting SONARs buggy nature, it's flakey, crashy nature, openly admitting how various other competing products are far more stable, and fast, and just plain better. For most people I think recent events have been for the better, that veil has been lifted from their eyes, the rose colored glasses are off, they are now open to what else is out there and able to see things for they really are.

2017/12/26 21:34:03
panup
I voted for staying in SONAR. I purchased S1 but I have opened it only twice over three weeks ago.
2017/12/26 23:52:08
BobF
panup
I voted for staying in SONAR. I purchased S1 but I have opened it only twice over three weeks ago.

Why?

2017/12/27 00:19:17
Starise
Jeff Evans is a very knowledgeable recording engineer. Does it for a living . Like all of us he has his ways he likes to work. This might sometimes come off differently than intended online. I know he only wants to be helpful.

So yeah, Jeff is no troll. People like him will be missed if this forum ever goes away.
2017/12/27 11:21:44
chuckebaby
Matron Landslide
if your hammer breaks you get a new one, no difference here

Huge difference.
What if you went to swing that hammer but it kept bending nails because it didn't have the right drivers. then you fix that and now the tip is falling off because of external hardware. tough comparison.

Matron Landslide
switching DAWs, for the most part, is a breeze, the moving projects between can be a PITA, but once done it's done, the basics are pretty much the same, you can be up and running almost immediately.

That's the biggest issue - "Once its done".
In the past year alone I have completed 54 projects. 67 in total (13 incomplete). Im not saying im going to load every single project I have in to a new DAW but this is not an easy task and its painful to think about that as a projects shelf life. <- This is what I believe most are concerned with (though hey, I could be wrong).

Matron Landslide
You must admit there is and has always been a hell of a lot of emotional attachment, and fanboiism at these forums(moreso than anywhere else I have seen by far), to a piece of software and a company, totally irrational in my view, it's not like the software is a person or something, and Cakewalk isn't this devine 'Will/can do no wrong' entity as people seem to think here, they are just like any other company/buisiness, the bottom line is what it's all about, they really couldn't care less about you once they got your cash, it's foolish to think otherwise. 

Yes you are right and I've probably been one of those fan boy's.
I never really saw it as being a Fanboy as I saw it validating a good product.
And you are correct again, Cakewalk Has no emotional attachment to its customers.

Matron Landslide
I have always felt that if people could just get away from this emotional attachment they have, get away from the social part of these forums, get some distance so they can see things clearly, and give other products an honest and fair try, most would never return to SONAR, and that is what you are seeing now after the separation has been forced. People, long time members and users are speaking more freely,

another good point. more often than not being forced out of your safe spot is healthy. Even though there are those who get frustrated with change and simply throw in the towel. So its not great for everyone. But change is good.

Matron Landslide
speaking like they wouldn't have dared before, openly admitting SONARs buggy nature, it's flakey, crashy nature, openly admitting how various other competing products are far more stable, and fast, and just plain better.

Now that's the thing about software. because we each work in different ways, we all see different things.
I've always run Sonar on a new system/newer systems but more importantly, newer hardware.
In my travels I've seen external hardware crash a PC be most often the case. So while some will complain of crashes when they are using an old PCI omega, their main problem lays within their own demise.
Bugs ? ya I agree. You bring up some good points here. we just all do things in different ways.
2017/12/27 16:08:03
gustabo
Sticking with SPlat, not switching.

2017/12/27 16:39:47
emwhy
Sticking with SONAR, but working with REAPER. Have used S1 and Cubase in the past, and prefer to stay with SONAR as long as possible. We run Windows 7 in our production suites and will not be changing that anytime soon. In fact we still have 1 machine using SONAR 3 and another using 8.5 with no issues.

For my home setup I've been gradually dipping my toes in the water with Reaper and gradually loving it. They have a new version update coming in the new year and if they tweak a few things and add ARA integration I'll be fully in.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account