• Software
  • Poll - What DAW are you switching to if any? Please take part! (p.9)
2017/12/23 21:01:48
35mm
Jeff Evans
dubdisciple
35mm i assure you Jeff is no troll. He is one of the more rational and helpful members here.

Yes 35mm is way off base there. All I am saying is as someone who has transversed a few DAW's in my professional work I have simply found that moving tons of projects from one to the other in my case anyway is just not necessary. I say wait until the need arises before you do because chances are that you won't have to. In reality it is very rarely required.

I agree about Apple though for sure. They are a funny company and they do weird things. Making things redundant being one of them. They seem to be good at that. It is good that Studio One runs on both platforms so if you have a Mac already Logic is definitely worth investigating because it one of the longest running, deepest and most powerful Daw's out there. It has a far bigger user base than Sonar that is for sure.

I am also not underestimating the work required either shifting to a new Daw. Hobbyist or professional. You just don't have to get all emotional about it though.

I'm not emotional about it :) I have used a lot of other DAWs since the late 80's. I started out as a tape opp in a commercial studio when I was 18, and later became the resident engineer in an analog studio I ran in partnership with a friend during the 90's. Call me old-fashioned, but I was always required to keep everything archived in a state where it could be remixed, remastered, edited or handed over at any time in the future, and I have had to pull stuff out of archive for various reasons in the past, such as if an artist subsequently gets signed to a label and the label wants to take control of the recordings. I still have a pile of Ampex 456 stacked up and archived from the 90's and early 2000's, stored in a dry environment away from magnetic fields. Sonar is now unsupported so it is not safe to archive things as .cwp files because if Sonar does stop working it will never get fixed and those .cwp files will be useless. So there very much is a need to migrate everything from Sonar to my new main DAW.

Sonar wasn't my only DAW but it was the main one I used for most things for a long time. So no, I'm not emotional about a bit of software. I am pis*ed off about it though! I'm not missing Sonar. I have Samplitude now which is great and in many ways is far better than Sonar. I'm really happy with it, but I still have stuff I have to finish up in Sonar and a huge extra workload now that I could really do without which is why I am pis*ed off.
2017/12/23 21:06:47
dubdisciple
35mm.  you have valid concerns.  i have unfinished projects in sonar.  At the same time, I doubt the software stops working overnight.  you should have plenty of time to finish up and archive projects in non-cakewalk manner.  if you are that concerned, keep an offline computer with stable install of sonar in case you need to use it.  i have a computer I am doing that with.  i am going to cleanup everything but sonar and then simply leave it in case of emergency.  
2017/12/23 21:16:54
Jeff Evans
I can see where you are coming from with a tape background. I have also come from that too and in fact have a huge library of analog masters both stereo and multitrack which I still have yet to transfer to digital. The longer you leave it the harder it becomes too. With the multitracks though the best I am going to be able to do is capture the raw tracks only.

With an artist and the record company wanting stuff I would guess they would want the raw multis and they will get someone else to mix. That has happened to me once or twice.

I suppose the best you can do is somehow get a working copy of Sonar on your system that will not be dependent on their servers to work eg you own the software. At least you can open the sessions up. I am lucky in that I have still got 8.5 setup on another machine and it still works perfectly to this day. It was at least authorised once and it stays that way. If you keep your main machine off the net too I have found you rarely have to do complete re-installs.

And to Jim recently I had to record 10 songs at 24 multi tracks each in Logic. I had not used Logic for a very long time. I was a bit worried to be honest but after some short training I sorted it very easily. It was not like moving house at all but more like visiting a very nice friend's house!
2017/12/23 21:24:02
35mm

I'm not emotional about it :) . . .  So no, I'm not emotional about a bit of software. I am pis*ed off about it though! I'm not missing Sonar.

The following   http://forum.cakewalk.com...d-Gibson-m3691009.aspx

35mm

I am gutted at the loss of Cakewalk & Sonar. I literally feel like a good friend has just passed away!

would seem to suggest otherwise, along with other like comments you have made. Comparing the end of a piece of software and software company with the death of a good friend would seem to indicate some type of irrational emotional attachment to said software/company.

And to join the others, Mr Evans is most certainly not a troll. Just because someone doesn't agree with the way you think, or like what you like does not make them a troll.
2017/12/23 21:25:17
dubdisciple
personally, i am looking forward to having the problem of having to dig up tracking sessions from 10 years ago.  That likely means I have created something that there is a huge demand to be remixed and mastered.  That sounds like rich people problems!
2017/12/23 22:14:53
35mm
Matron Landslide
35mm

I'm not emotional about it :) . . .  So no, I'm not emotional about a bit of software. I am pis*ed off about it though! I'm not missing Sonar.

The following   http://forum.cakewalk.com...d-Gibson-m3691009.aspx

35mm

I am gutted at the loss of Cakewalk & Sonar. I literally feel like a good friend has just passed away!

would seem to suggest otherwise, along with other like comments you have made. Comparing the end of a piece of software and software company with the death of a good friend would seem to indicate some type of irrational emotional attachment to said software/company.

And to join the others, Mr Evans is most certainly not a troll. Just because someone doesn't agree with the way you think, or like what you like does not make them a troll.

Guilty as charged. That was 5 weeks ago when we were all still in shock and was partly in reference to Cakewalk and its employees. I have moved on to another DAW now. Jeff keeps telling me not to be emotional about software in this thread, but I haven't been.

I am sure Jeff isn't a troll. I was just alluding to the fact that he had stated that he had no interest in this poll yet he kept posting in this thread, disputed my use of Sonar and kept telling me not to be emotional. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me.

I set the poll up because I thought it might be interesting. There's no serious merit to it. There have been 270 responses so far so I guess other folks are interested too. Just a couple of people seem to have a negative attitude towards it and I can't see why. It's all harmless fun at the end of the day.
2017/12/23 22:30:07
35mm
dubdisciple
personally, i am looking forward to having the problem of having to dig up tracking sessions from 10 years ago.  That likely means I have created something that there is a huge demand to be remixed and mastered.  That sounds like rich people problems!

I wish I was rich, well at least better off. It's more a case of just being responsible for the storage of sessions should they ever be required again for any reason. Most are not. I do a lot of stuff. Some commercial and some not, but I archive all of it because that's what I do and I know damn well that the one thing I don't archive will be the one thing I regret not archiving! 
2017/12/23 23:42:33
Kev999
People have taken quite a big hit with the sudden discontinuation of something that they rely on. To feel emotional seems appropriate under the circumstances.
2017/12/24 00:12:33
dubdisciple
The "downside" to all these deals is that it creates a false sense of urgency and a compulsion to validate rushed choices. Samplitude is a great product that has been around almost as long as Cakewalk. With that said, a month ago, it was hardly mentioned and now it is suddenly the greatest thing since wafflebot. Somehow everyone learned in under 30 days what they have somehow missed in 30 years? Same can be said regarding all the other products being christened as the superior alternative to Sonar. I rejected buying Studio One at least twice in past because I didn't see enough in 30 days to warrant switch.

For those who have not chosen yet, take your time. I'm sure many of these deals will be honored for a reasonable time. Your Sonar still works. Yes, i gave an answer to survey, but my necessity og using multiple DAWs has taught me that most of them will be suitable for all but the mosy specialized of us once given proper time to adjust.
2017/12/24 00:36:33
Grem
35mm

I archive all of it because that's what I do and I know damn well that the one thing I don't archive will be the one thing I regret not archiving! 

You are doing the right thing for sure. Keep on doing it brother! Because you know the one that you don't archive..... : )
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account