• Software
  • Presonus Studio One Pro 3.5 Thread (p.9)
2017/11/27 22:07:40
PAL Music
This posted offer looks pretty good. http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3696884.aspx#3696884
2017/11/27 22:18:08
Sylvan
Jeff Evans

This is mainly rubbish. Time to debunk a few myths. I tested 4 DAW's in summing mode only some time back. Logic, Studio One, Sonar and Pro Tools. I maintained pan laws and level settings only. Got perfect nulls with all of them and a room full of experts could not pick one DAW over another. So we have sorted that summing wise now thanks. 

Rubbish huh? First off, you would do well to be a bit more respectful to a new user who is genuinely hoping to have a good experience with Studio One. I hope this rudeness is not the normal behavior of the average veteran Studio One user. This is not a good way to welcome new users to say the least.

Second, just saying that this is a myth doesn't make it a myth. I am prepared to document my test in videos to demonstrate step by step exactly what I am talking about. Now granted, my test did involve 5 mono tracks and one stereo track of live acoustic drums which required the bottom snare mic to be phase flipped, which of course Studio One cannot do without a plugin. SONAR has this built in. It is possible that the Studio One plugin doesn't accurately flip the phase and this could indeed cause a perception of low-end loss. So, tonight I will strip down this test to only include 1 mono kick, 1 mono snare, and 1 stereo overhead track so I won't have to use the phase flipping plugin from Presonus.

I will do one test where the tracks are pre-mixed and will not require any fader movements at all. Just running it through the summing.

I will then do another one where I will do fader movements only, no panning. My goal is to get these results to null. This is really what I am hoping for. If they don't though, lets face the facts and expose it in hopes that it can be improved. I am in with Studio One now, so lets try and get along and help each other out and make Studio One the best it can be.

Jeff Evans
So much mis information has been spread about Studio One in these parts already.  It is way powerful, very deep under the hood, midi wise is excellent and it goes on. The problem is many don't really have a deep understanding of it so you think it can't do most of what you could do but in fact in most cases you can.  It is just a matter of learning it properly and using it everyday.

I have picked Studio One over Cubase, Pro Tools, and Reaper. So I agree it is a very good DAW. I have been learning it and working with it over the last few days and becoming more familiar with it. I do indeed have enough of an understanding to perform these tests. I only say this to say that my tests were not screwed up because I am doing something wrong. I will perform the new tests shortly. It might not be until Wednesday because I have some work to finish up for paying clients (in SONAR.)

I would love to see your test results if you can share them.
2017/11/27 22:37:34
kson
bokchoyboy
rodreb
Can the track view and console view be displayed on separate monitors in Studio One? I thought I read on one of these threads that you can not split them to two different monitors. This would be a big deal for my preferred workflow.

Very important!!!!

Yes.
2017/11/27 22:41:07
jackroller
PAL Music
This posted offer looks pretty good. http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3696884.aspx#3696884

That'll do it.  Thanks for saving me $50.  
2017/11/27 23:35:53
dcmg
At that price, I'll buy it and decide if it's my final choice later.
Thanks for all the info.
2017/11/27 23:53:25
hbarton
Not sure if you have had a chance to play around with the Control Link function in SO, but here is a good intro video by Johnnie Geib (Home Studio Trainer). If some knobs or buttons on your controller are not working, or you want to remap them, this will help. The feature is quite powerful and, I would say a whole lot easier the SPLAT's process. Note that once you set up the control link function for a plugin, SO will remember the settings next time you use it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG76UEQqcuI

Take care,
h
2017/11/28 00:04:06
Ken Matson
well this was cool - just did a Melodyne session in SO - Fly Me to the Moon vocal over a karaoke track. Did all my normal Melodyne editing - worked perfectly and smoothly. Then ... I'm giddy about this ... selected the entire clip (the whole vocal track), hit one hot key and it automatically split it into multiple clips -essentially removing the silent areas (per tolerance settings) - created fade ins and out - yes on a Melodyne clip! - and then I could go in and slip edit them to be tighter as needed - yes slip edit - fades - on a Melodyne clip ....
2017/11/28 00:18:11
z1812
Studio One has a sampler called Presence XT. Apparently it has the ability to open EXS, Giga, and Kontakt libraries. Has anyone tried it? If so how well does it work?
2017/11/28 05:36:52
emeraldsoul
Sylvan, I am reluctant to say this, but I've done dozens of Sonar projects, from 8.5 to Artist. I have mostly used 3rd party plugins and VI's and Kontakt.

I have only done a few little projects in Studio 1, which I just hopped on three days ago. Same boat as you . . .

. . . except my ears are telling me that I like Studio 1's sound a little better. What you are hearing as a "lack of low end" in S1,  I'm hearing as "clearer and cleaner up top" . . . interesting, huh?

If there really is no difference in "summing engines" - then perhaps there IS a difference in how the different DAW's react to and interact with third party plugins.

In other words, maybe an instance of a Superior Drummer or a particular QL Spaces reverb is handled better by a given DAW, and therefore sounds better or different in S1 than it did coming out of Sonar.

Or vice versa.

One can discuss "parity" in summing engines, but there's still the variables in what is being summed. Just an idea.

Whenever I mix Sonar (I only have Artist) I continually feel as if I'm fighting to keep a layer of cheesecloth off of the speakers. Something between me and the sound. I haven't noticed this as of yet with S1.

good luck!
-Tom
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account