• Features & Ideas
  • A feature for those that write string arrangements (MIDI note chase) (p.4)
2015/02/09 11:14:18
g_randybrown
mdages
+1
I think it's not a really easy task to make this as realistic as possible.
Only to trigger a note-on event could fail on longer evolving sounds. But maybe better as nothing.

Yessir, that point was brought up earlier and could have undesirable results with some patches (like an evolving sound) which is why it would have to have the option to toggle on and off somewhere.
2015/02/10 02:51:21
Robmd
Yes, a great idea Randy.
2015/02/12 23:12:25
forkol
This is commonly called note chasing, and it would be a very welcomed by me in Sonar.  Hope it's considered.
2015/02/12 23:34:17
g_randybrown
Thanks guys...and if I may remind you again to please rate it (if you haven't already) because that is probably the only thing the bakers have time to really look at...especially considering how hard they must be working on all the new stuff to prove the value of this new model.
2015/02/13 11:35:23
stickman393
g_randybrown
If I stop/start playback the long sustained cello note doesn't play unless I go back to where that note started (as expected of course) 

Not meaning to de-rail your feature request, but I use the Scrub tool [J] in the PRV for this. Anywhere I click with the mouse, any note that is sustaining across that position will sound, even if the note down started way off to the left.

It's not quite the same as playing back, I agree. But I've never felt the need to change how the PLayback works, because the Scrub in the PRV works great. 
2015/02/13 13:05:02
g_randybrown
because the Scrub in the PRV works great. 
Agreed, I sometimes use the scrub tool but when part writing you would have to select scrub tool to hear it and then switch back to the smart tool and then what...hum that note?
Like I've said, this is not an option that would be useful to everyone but a big help for others...with all due respect I don't consider your workaround a workaround because what I do now is just select the sustained note and hum it while drawing in other parts.
Thanks,
Randy
2015/02/16 02:07:42
skitch_84
My workaround is annoying, but I have to do it when I'm working on concurrent parts that require me listening to the harmony. I'll just cut that long note short and start it again at the point that I need to hear it. Then, once the other part(s) are written I'll go back to the long note and make it the correct length again. 
2015/02/16 04:23:44
lfm
Karyn

I'm not saying that's how other DAWs do it,  but it's not difficult to implement.

I thought it was part of chase back, that is for controllers and stuff.
So an option to include notes also - all for it.

EDIT: Seems Sonar call it Searchback before play starts.
Just add an option to include notes in search.
2015/06/04 08:47:16
icontakt
Hey Randy, I just sorted all existing FR threads by number of ratings in descending order and found this thread, whose title seemed not very relevant to me (I admit I've seen it bumped a few times but never taken a look inside). 
But, to my surprise, it was the feature I liked in Studio One and have been wanting in Sonar as well! 

BTW, since the Bakers OFTEN CONSIDER ADDING it, I'd say it's very likely to be implemented.  

(Will vote just now......although as many as 28 people have already voted)

2015/06/04 11:06:11
g_randybrown
BTW, since the Bakers OFTEN CONSIDER ADDING it, I'd say it's very likely to be implemented.
I never saw that thread before now...I do hope you're right in that it will be implemented before long.
Thanks for the vote and bump Tak!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account