• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.11)
2017/12/03 00:18:07
JohnKenn
@musicroom,

Right about no ARA integration, just have to bring up the effect and use as a generic vst. No indication that this is going to be implemented anytime soon, so have to look elsewhere beyond Reaper if this is critical.

About the fx browser being defective or hard to navigate, this to me is one of the major advantages in Reaper when dealing with plugins. You can set up any number of custom folders, even rename the effects or synths, categorize the preset libraries in whatever way is most efficient for you. Once set up, the cataloging workflow is so much nicer than what I have put up with in Sonar. Both get the job done however.

Lots of skins for Reaper, probably more available than for any other DAW. Doesn't guarantee that every knob will work in all of them, but some really elegant choices. I use ver 5 but have selected the default ver 4 GUI. Just works great for me and gets direct access to the tools under the hood.

Then the idea that at $60, you get something cheap and realizing later you get what you pay for. Reaper could sell for 10 times the price and still be nearly king of the realm. $60 license is a no brainer, a steal. The outfit wanted to bring highest quality professional tools into the reach of everyone, not shut some kid out because he or she can't afford several hundred dollars for a pro DAW. These guys have a lot of good karma going forward. Cheap license is a gift totally disconnected with the quality you receive.

Hoping everyone migrates to something that works, keeping in mind that Sonar will not go down for several years if even then in the slow erosion of abandonware. No freak out needed for any of us. Lots of experts around here in many other DAW's. Till they close the doors on this place, many seem to be here willing to help in the transition.

John

2017/12/03 04:03:52
scottfa
My biggest concern is that Justin gers bored( or something worse happens) with Repear..... Am i in the same boat as i am in now with Sonar in a few months/years?
2017/12/03 04:04:01
scottfa
My biggest concern is that Justin gers bored( or something worse happens) with Repear..... Am i in the same boat as i am in now with Sonar in a few months/years?
scottfa

Then you might in the absolute very worst case scenario be out (OMG) sixty bucks! Except that ALL versions of REAPER, dating back to the very first v0.41 public beta here: https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=0x can be downloaded, saved to the media of your choice, and will continue to work, even if the entire internet were to go totally tits up! On the other hand, it is far more likely that you would buy a current version for the same sixty bucks, and get to go for as many as two versions before having to cough up more of your hard earned money!

I bought my last upgrade copy of REAPER so long ago, I feel guilty not sending more money to them, but at v6.0 I will FINALLY have to send in some more cash to keep my copy current, and I will do it the second it comes out!!!
2017/12/03 04:26:38
GotMetalBoy
glazfolk
Oh, and I'll just add that there's no shortage of ex-Sonar users in the REAPER community who'll be only too happy to help anyone who wants help in migrating.

I agree! I couldn't believe how fast and helpful the REAPER Forum members are. I just made a post on here about the info I've learned, so far about REAPER. Here's my post if anyone is interested: SONAR to New REAPER Users MIDI Editing Info and How to Run Different Versions and Backup: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3701934

One of the things I think is so awesome about REAPER is that if there's something you can't figure out how to do or something you want added, forum members program scripts to add really useful features all the time.

Here's another helpful post I found: So What included Plug-ins/Content will port to another DAW? http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3692836 
2017/12/03 04:29:56
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
scottfa

Then you might in the absolute very worst case scenario be out (OMG) sixty bucks! Except that ALL versions of REAPER, dating back to the very first v0.41 public beta here: https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=0x can be downloaded, saved to the media of your choice, and will continue to work, even if the entire internet were to go totally tits up! On the other hand, it is far more likely that you would buy a current version for the same sixty bucks, and get to go for as many as two versions before having to cough up more of your hard earned money!

I bought my last upgrade copy of REAPER so long ago, I feel guilty not sending more money to them, but at v6.0 I will FINALLY have to send in some more cash to keep my copy current, and I will do it the second it comes out!!!

Exactly, and the latest file coming around a  huge 11mb, downloading isn't a chore. Always amazed that they can get all that power into an 11mb download.

I'll have to buy a new license when 6 comes out, I checked the other day and my current license was purchased on 26 December 2013, just about to roll into its 5th year of free updates (how long did SONARs Lifetime updates last? ) sorry, couldn't resist , that's not bad value for $60.

You could worry the same about any company possibly going belly up, I don't think I would be to worried about Cockos and REAPER going belly up, it's not about the money to them and it's all pretty much self contained and a pretty lean machine.
2017/12/03 04:44:06
Frank Harvey
Reaper  well might be the next SONAR !!
Heck .
Did I say that?
But I am in my second day of trialing and I think it is the closest thing to Sonar (RIP) I have found.
Still testing 1,2,3 though ;)
Cheers........Frank in OZ
2017/12/03 04:45:28
Frank Harvey
PS: I am about to buy shares in Reaper...what the heck ?

2017/12/03 05:33:00
Mosvalve
I'm sold after a few days with it. Reapers a keeper.
2017/12/03 16:34:19
JohnKenn
Once again, I'm very happy to be proven wrong.
Regarding ARA support in Reaper, check this:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200297

John
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account