• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.8)
2017/11/29 20:01:52
azslow3
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
I think you may be correct that I don't understand the desired functionality of Melodyne. Are you guys *re-writing* multi-part vocals, like as in deciding that you wished the vocals had sung something different than what got recorded, so all the vocals must be changed together, and maybe even change what the chord structure of the song is as well?

There can be also re-writing tasks or creating tasks (like doubling).

Corrections. Can be "just a little bit" pitch/timing/vibrato/volume, for particular tone, also in polyphonic sounds.
Especially useful for Noobs (and I guess for working with Noobs produced material)
I mean if you have recorded piano and hit something wrongly (too loud) by occasion, or even touched some wrong key, but you are satisfied otherwise. Why not just put the volume down / move one single note (out of 100k notes!) instead of recording the thing one more time. Especially if you have noticed the problem long time after it was recorded

Tempo extraction.

2017/11/29 21:10:52
jbraner
While Melodyne can do general "clip" level pitch correction, that is not why I (and I guess other) want to have ARA in Reaper. If you have never used Melodyne Studio and its integration into Sonar / S1:
Imagine Reaper MIDI editor, where you can modify notes/volumes/CCs, for several tracks.
Now imagine you have the same view, with the same functionality, but for pure audio tracks. That is what Melodyne with ARA provides for a DAW.

Also, you can go in to a guitar chord (audio file) and just change the pitch of one note (maybe it's a tiny bit sharp or flat), or take out that open string that you accidentally "rubbed" ;-)
2017/11/29 21:44:01
azslow3
BTW, while not a definitive "Yes", there is at least a kind of "May be" from one developer.
I do not know who is who on that forum, how far things can go after Justin's "Not a good idea" and so on.
But if more and more people will ask AFTER joining the club, there is a big chance it is implemented.
I mean if significant number of Sonaries change to Reaper, ARA will be implemented. I do not think that is something in this DAW is about money... but they have to spend time (I have not seen ARA API yet, nor Rea API, but they claim a lot of time, and I am sure that is so). They spend it where they think it make sense for users (==customers).
In other words "I will buy Reaper in case you implement ARA" is going to have 0.0 effect, while changing to Reaper and then asking - can
jbraner
Also, you can go in to a guitar chord (audio file) and just change the pitch of one note (maybe it's a tiny bit sharp or flat), or take out that open string that you accidentally "rubbed" ;-)

OK, that's something I might actually use, although I am pretty diligent about checking tuning before recording. Both my guitar and bass setups are routed through a common Korg rack mount tuner, so I never have an excuse to be out of tune.

As far as little flubs like accidentally muting an open string or something, I never let those stand when laying a track. I programmed a "Do Over" button on the remote control I use when recording. The moment I play a clam, I hit my Do Over button, which stops recording, performs an undo, performs a rewind to the last punch in point, and punches back into record. It happens so fast there's no time to lose the groove of what I'm trying to play and within a try or two or three, I'll have the part down the way I want it with no fixing after the fact needed.

2017/11/29 22:12:41
jbraner
jbraner

OK, that's something I might actually use, although I am pretty diligent about checking tuning before recording. Both my guitar and bass setups are routed through a common Korg rack mount tuner, so I never have an excuse to be out of tune.

Well, sometimes when you're playing a "hard" chord, one finger pushes down a string a little - to make it sharp. Or sometimes a bend isn't *quite* right (especially when you're bending a string, while *not* bending another (or some others).
You get the idea... ;-)

With ARA, you just edit this stuff, while the rest of the tracks are playing.
I'm not sure how Melodyne works as "just a plugin" - but you might have to edit parts, without hearing everything else playing (?)
jbraner
jbraner

Well, sometimes when you're playing a "hard" chord, one finger pushes down a string a little - to make it sharp. Or sometimes a bend isn't *quite* right (especially when you're bending a string, while *not* bending another (or some others).
You get the idea... ;-)

With ARA, you just edit this stuff, while the rest of the tracks are playing.
I'm not sure how Melodyne works as "just a plugin" - but you might have to edit parts, without hearing everything else playing (?)

Well, bottom line is I hope Justin and Schwa might find some time between other things to add ARA for you guys.

It's not a feature I require because it's not slowing me down from making lots of music, plus the fact that I don't own Melodyne.  ;)
2017/11/29 22:59:55
azslow3
jbraner

Melodyne needs the whole "clip"/"region" to give you good results. So it has to receive material first.
Only this process is significantly different with/without ARA:
* without ARA, you "record" into Melodyne the peace you need, by playing the material (VST support sequential data processing ONLY)
* with ARA, the material is transfered like a "file", so no need to wait for real time playing.
The rest is the same: once the material is inside Melodyne, it "parese" it. Then it can produce the sound like a normal VST, on "its own" even when the transport is stopped or in sync with Sonar (simply ignoring its input and using parsed/edited information on its place). BTW the syncing can be broken in recent Sonar (http://forum.cakewalk.com/Melodyne-clips-not-playing-in-sync-m3634843.aspx).

Remember all that weird problems with Melodyne at the beginning? For Sonar one bug more, one bug less was never a show stopper, the functionality was released. Reaper people do not like that...
I hope the technology is mature now.
2017/11/29 23:22:50
azslow3
It's not a feature I require because it's not slowing me down from making lots of music, plus the fact that I don't own Melodyne.  ;)

And that I see as may be primary reason why it is not yet in Reaper...

Each community tend to "defend" own thing. Sonar was not an exception. There are always some "fan boys" (no offense intention!) which claim the eco-system is self containing, what is there is perfect and what is not there is simply not needed. Comparing Sonar forum with Reaper forum, I think the last one is a bit more aggressive in that (do not worry, not on the KVR level...).

BTW Melodyne can be tested. Also entry level version comes with Tracktion Waveform for cheap, in addition I see Waveform as direct antagonist to Reaper: everything should be intuitive, but can happened the whole thing does not work at all... I mean it is worse to check for the "bug picture of available approaches in DAWs".
azslow3

And that I see as may be primary reason why it is not yet in Reaper...

Each community tend to "defend" own thing. Sonar was not an exception. There are always some "fan boys" (no offense intention!) which claim the eco-system is self containing, what is there is perfect and what is not there is simply not needed. Comparing Sonar forum with Reaper forum, I think the last one is a bit more aggressive in that (do not worry, not on the KVR level...).

BTW Melodyne can be tested. Also entry level version comes with Tracktion Waveform for cheap, in addition I see Waveform as direct antagonist to Reaper: everything should be intuitive, but can happened the whole thing does not work at all... I mean it is worse to check for the "bug picture of available approaches in DAWs".

I'd be fine if Justin and Schwa want to add full ARA support. It's not like it would take them away from working on new things that I need them to implement.  I would have absolutely nothing against them doing that at all, unless it were to impair the functionality that I have now with REAPER, which works completely glitch free for me. 

If they were to add full ARA support, I don't think it would entice me to buy Melodyne 4 Essential though.  For the "basic editing of pitch and timing" Celemony  says it offers, I already have tools that are included with REAPER that suit my needs in accomplishing that, and I'm sure not going to spend $249 - $849 for their upper tier products.

I really don't do much fixing of my tracks after recording them, but I come from the days of owning a six foot tall 1" Ampex tape machine, where you had to get it right to start with. Not saying that's the *right* way or *better* way. It's just the way I've always done it as both a commercial studio owner, and as a studio musician.  :-)

2017/11/30 09:37:21
jbraner
Melodyne needs the whole "clip"/"region" to give you good results. So it has to receive material first.
Only this process is significantly different with/without ARA:
* without ARA, you "record" into Melodyne the peace you need, by playing the material (VST support sequential data processing ONLY)
* with ARA, the material is transfered like a "file", so no need to wait for real time playing.
The rest is the same: once the material is inside Melodyne, it "parese" it. Then it can produce the sound like a normal VST, on "its own" even when the transport is stopped or in sync with Sonar (simply ignoring its input and using parsed/edited information on its place). BTW the syncing can be broken in recent Sonar (http://forum.cakewalk.com/Melodyne-clips-not-playing-in-sync-m3634843.aspx).

Thanks for the info azslow3. So, without ARA, you just have to "play in" the area you want to work on, and after that everything is the same? For small clips then, it's not really a big problem.
I don't actually use this a real lot - it's just  nice to know it's there.

I wouldn't *not* go to Reaper because of it - though i realise that everyone's needs are different.

I'll go into Reaper *very* slowly. I  want to like it, so I'll give it some time. I think I'll just create a test project and try to do all the basic things, and then try to make things "easier", an dthen try more complicated stuff.
first, I'm just looking at the forums and the manual (a little) etc. I haven't actually posted over there yet - just lurking ;-)

if Justin and Schwa want to add full ARA support

Hey G'bo - is that the same schwa who makes plugins?

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account