MIDI routing within MC6 Touch

Author
avgrafyx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2016/04/30 09:20:50 (permalink)

MIDI routing within MC6 Touch

Hi guys,

Apologies for what is probably a very basic question. Although in most respects I find MC6 beautifully straightforward, (and that's exactly why I choose to use it), I still get horribly confused with things I need to do less frequently.

I wondered if anyone could please walk me through how to do the following?

I have downloaded MiGiC, a VST plug-in which converts guitar audio to MIDI to control soft synths. I have placed MiGiC in the effects bin of an audio track as per the author's instructions, and MiGiC shows it is is receiving the guitar audio and creating MIDI data accordingly. But what I don't seem to be able to grasp is how to take MiGiC's MIDI data output into a soft synth track input or MIDI track input.

There are a few settings within MiGiC that might be relevant, but I think it's the method of routing within MC6 that I'm not understanding. I think the same issue would apply if I had a MIDI track already recorded and wanted to route its output to a different track's MIDI Input.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: MIDI routing within MC6 Touch 2016/04/30 15:16:29 (permalink)
    It has been some time since I played with MIGIC and I was using a newer Cakewalk DAW than MC6T.

IIRC, MC6T does not have MIDI Enable options the VST standard header drop down. I believe that was introduced in MC7 along with VST3 support. This means in order for a plug-in to handle MIDI I/O it must be configured as a synth. The "Configure as Synth" option is on the plug-in properties page. Plug-in properties is found on the VST standard header drop down and in the Plug-in Manager. Note: if the plug-in properties page is launch from the plug-in standard header, it will be necessary to delete and reinsert the plug-in to catch the "Configure as Synth" change.

Once configured as a synth, add MIGIC to the guitar tracks FX bin and a MIDI/Instrument track with its input set to MIGIC omni. It is necessary to enable input echo on the guitar track to send MIDI data to the MIDI/Instrument track. To hear any synth output while playing guitar, input enable the MIDI/Instrument track too.
    avgrafyx
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: MIDI routing within MC6 Touch 2016/05/03 12:29:13 (permalink)
    Many thanks for your suggestions, scook.

I'm still stuck though, and now have another issue as well (of my own making).

I was able to check the Properties tick box to configure MiGiC as a synth with no problem, and I deleted and re-inserted it in the Audio Track FX Bin, but although checking the properties revealed it was showing the 'Configure as Synth' box as checked, I was still unable to hook up MiGiC's MIDI output to anything. It didn't show up as an available option in the list of selectable inputs for other tracks. There seemed to be no way to add it in the MIDI section of MC6 Preferences either. I tried the all available options within MiGiC's own interface for outputs etc. and still couldn't get anything. It appeared I could only get MiGiC to convert audio to MIDI if it was set to MIDI channel 2, but even then, setting other options accordingly within MC6 didn't hook anything up.

So I tried unchecking the 'Configure as Plug-In' in MiGiC's properties and hit a new and baffling problem: MiGiC promptly disappeared from the list of plug-ins and synths altogether. 'No problem', I thought. 'I will just delete the MiGiC.dll from my VST Plugins folder and re-install it from the downloaded file'. But it still won't show up now, despite being there in the folder and despite trying to force MC6 to scan it. Oops!

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: MIDI routing within MC6 Touch 2016/05/03 13:26:28 (permalink)
    The plug-in is not added to Preferences > MIDI > Devices. That is for connecting external hardware and software to MC6.

For the plug-in to work at all, I m pretty sure it will need to be configured as a synth. At least that is true for every other plug-in that uses MIDI I/O that I have used in Cakewalk software older than SONAR X3. This would include anything older than MC7 too.

I am not sure what you mean by "force MC6 to scan." Try running a VST reset from Preferences > File > VST Settings. I have never had a plug-in completely disappear like you are describing. If you do manage to get the plug-in back, there is a registry settings which might need to be manually set. Here is the process described for MIDI-Guitar, a similar product. Note: These instructions are for SONAR X2 but both DAWs use the scan VST scanner.

I did not spend much time with MiGiC, I did encounter a couple of small issues with it and tried contacting the developer and never heard back. Since I already had MIDI-Guitar working I did not pursue MiGiC any further.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1