Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Infinite5ths
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3631
2005/10/12 12:07:47 (permalink)

MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it?

Cakewalk,

As I have explained before, the Sonar 4 Mute tool, as I use it, suffers from issues that make it flakey to disfunctional when working with audio clips. Either I have misunderstood this highly-marketed Sonar 4 feature, or it simply doesn't work correctly -- EVEN AFTER THE 4.0.4 PATCH.

I have determined that the problem, in my case, stems from the flexible Bar/Beat/Tick method of positioning events in Sonar (as opposed to lining everything up against a uniform SMPTE clock). I understand that this is a design choice, which has certain benefits, particularly for MIDI. However, for my workflow, which involves detailed tempo, automation and other timing/nuance edits, to meld MIDI and audio (& sometimes video), this is a big problem.

Even a simple project, with a MIDI piano accompaniment and a vocal line (comped from multiple takes), has proved nearly impossible to edit as I would like. The tempo changes (used to align MIDI to the vocal track) make the Mute Tool to unusable; and even prior to adding tempo changes, Mute Tool edits often behave very strangely (edited portions are offset and sometimes shorter/longer than what I selected, etc.).

If this and other related issues are accepted as inherent to Sonar's design, then I will probably buy an additional software package (such as Adobe Audition) for acoustic audio, video & post-production work. [Note: I have had very few (minor) issues with Sonar's MIDI creation and editing tools - which seem very reliable & powerful; only audio has been troublesome.] It appears, now that the 4.0.4 patch is out, that my only other choice is to upgrade my PC, upgrade to Sonar 5, and hope that the issues have been resolved, or will be in a later patch. That is not very comforting.

Please advise me as to whether you accept these issues as part of the design. I would prefer to do all my work in one program (Sonar); but I would rather buy the right tools than wait and nag your company about Sonar's audio tools.

With great respect for your work and design philosophy,
--
Mike
post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/12 12:25:03

33 Replies Related Threads

Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 15:31:19 (permalink)
    Bump -- Patiently awaiting a response
    --
    Mike
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 15:40:27 (permalink)
    I dont use the smart mute function purely because I have some whacky gui stuff which happens with it. I *think* this is just a compatibility issue though.

I personally prefer to cut and mute clips rather than smart mute anyway - It's more straightforward and you have the option of slip editing too.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 15:58:25 (permalink)
    Well, that is a useful suggestion. I don't like to have to go a different route simply because the product does not work as advertised; but I'm open to just about any ideas. [I still have not received ANY suggestions from Cakewalk about how to work around this issue. I would think they should know how to perform such a basic task with Sonar 4 - in spite of the bugs. Doesn't anybody else comp from several audio takes in projects that have tempo changes?]

daverich, how does your method work with multiple layers in a single clip? I tried to use the Mute Tool, as it seemed the easiest way to pick the best portions of multiple takes in one track. [...not to mention that the Sonar 4 website marketing videos advertised exactly this use for the Mute/Isolate Tool] Otherwise, I have to copy, paste, re-align, split, mute/delete, and so forth. It is much easier to snap to "Clip Boundaries", using the snap grid to guide the mute tool selections, leaving the original clips intact.
    --
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/12 16:12:09
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 16:02:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Infinite5ths

Well, that is a useful suggestion. I don't like to have to go a different route simply because the product does not work as advertised; but I'm open to just about any ideas. [I still have not received ANY suggestions from Cakewalk about how to work around this issue. I would think they should know how to perform such a basic task with Sonar 4 - in spite of the bugs. Doesn't anybody else comp from several audio takes in projects that have tempo changes?]

daverich, how does your method work with multiple layers in a single clip? I tried to use the Mute tool, as it seemed the easiest way to pick the best portions of multiple takes in one track. [...not to mention that the Sonar 4 website marketing videos advertised exactly this use for the Mute/Isolate Tool] Otherwise, I have to copy, paste, re-align, split, mute/delete, and so forth. It is much easier to snap to "Clip Boundaries", using the snap grid to guide the mute tool selections, leaving the original clips intact.
    --
    Mike

It's simple - you just chop the layers up - highlight the bits you dont want and press Q. This will mute them.

It's a pretty quick way of working once you get used to it. (quicker than smart mute imo)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 16:09:44 (permalink)
    That's because this is a peer to peer user based forum. The staff cruise through time to time but most of the help is going to come from other people who've had more experience with the program. You really need to submit a feature request for what you are asking for. Maybe they will pick up on it.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 16:10:30 (permalink)
    Doesn't this run the risk of mixing up the takes permanently?

I know....that's what I'm trying to do anyway, right? But what if I decide I'd like to try a different comp version? How do I identify what was originally a take?

Or, what if I want to attempt multiple versions, to compare them?

This may sound rediculous, but I work with a lot of classical string music and vocals. Sometimes the differences between takes are subtle, or the defects are odd. I need the freedom to mix and match -- and if necessary, to start from scratch over and over.
    --
    Mike
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 16:13:02 (permalink)
    Mod Bod,

I have submitted multiple feature requests for this and other related features (like "Lock to SMPTE" for audio clips and "Drag Stretching" for MIDI clips). I can't wait forever...there's work to be done. :-]
    --
    Mike
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 16:15:28 (permalink)
    I have submitted multiple feature requests for this and other related features (like "Lock to SMPTE" for audio clips and "Drag Stretching" for MIDI clips). I can't wait forever...there's work to be done. :-]
    I can understand that. I've got a FR for a midi clip preview in Loop Explorer. Hope springs eternal.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 16:45:43 (permalink)
    Yes...hope does. Work and time, however, do NOT. 8-]

For the work that I do and/or want to do, I need a more post-oriented multitrack audio-for-video package, better acoustic (READ H:M:S:Samples time-base) audio tools and a wav editor.

I think Logic or DP would be a nice counter-balance to Sonar. But I do NOT want a Mac....and I've heard way to many horror stories about Cubase. That leaves Audition & Samplitude. ...unless I can learn how to do this work successfully and QUICKLY in Sonar.

I'll try these suggestions...and will gladly accept more tips.
    --
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/12 16:57:15
    wmb
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 658
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 17:08:38 (permalink)
    Have you ever opened a S4 project in S3? The mutes are still in place but with an envelope. I don't know exactly how it works but the mute tool is nothing but an envelope creation tool.

I have seen your other threads and have experienced mute tool anomolies but they are generally rare. The offset problem seems to have developed more recently. I have seen it in mixed audio and midi projects generally. This is based on memory after reading your threads so their might have been a pure audio project with the problem too.

I have seen mute issues in S5 but mostly it's been extremely reliable.

Generally the mute tool is a time saver for me and functions more reliably than most cellphones. I use that as the most commonly malfunctioning thing that humans seem to tolerate. I wish it was perfect but then I wish many things. My mother had a saying about that.

I have a feeling that the time/placement relationship of audio clips is simply too deeply woven into the sonar concept. I wish I could modify the tempo and keep things from getting out of alignment but it just doesn't work. I would love to be able to place a two markers and tell sonar that there are 8 bars of 4/4 time in that space and have it take care of making the grid line up. I believe audio clips are just an midi event in sonar. That's why they move around reletively to each other.

Good luck,
    Wm.
    sbavin
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 17:46:44 (permalink)
    Sorry, can you explain the problem again...?

All clips and envelopes are tied to the same grid, based on M:B:T. Now if I mute a particular bit of audio (say a particular word), and insert tempo changes before/during/after the clip, then the same word remains muted - i.e. the mute moves with the audio.

So.. is this just another manifestation of the old FR to lock audio to real-time, or am I missing something? (Serious question.)

Steve Bavin
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 18:14:43 (permalink)
    wmb,

Unfortunately, I don't have S3. So I can't try that.

I only WISH that the Mute Tool was as reliable as my cell. I have a Nokia cell, which I picked specifically for it's simplicity and bulletproof design. It's been all but perfect for more than a year now. I wish MOST of my gadgets were as reliable as my cell... I suspect that the Mute Tool would be a time saver for me too, if.........................

I know what you mean about the time/placement thing. That's why I may need another program. Sonar is GREAT for MIDI. But I think of AUDIO in a classical musician sense: exactly at a specific time, with infinite detail and nuance. I need exact control over WHEN in time.....not relative to abstract M:B:T. This is true twice over when scoring for video. I want things to stay where I put them! :-p
    --
    Mike
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 18:38:27 (permalink)
    sbavin,

Ohhhhh....that would take a while. How about a summary?

I have a project with a MIDI piano part and a vocal line. The vocal is a comp, taken from three recorded takes -- 3 layers all in one track. I used the Mute Tool (way back in 4.0.2) to mute the portions of each take that I didn't need. Then I adjusted the tempo map with little detailed edits, to line up the MIDI piano part more accurately with the vocal. This kept the overall feel of the piano intact, but made the timing better; and it saved me the hassle of LOTS of Piano Roll MIDI editing. Well, along came 4.0.3, which fixed some annoying audio engine issues I'd had in 4.0.2. But....when I went back to edit my clip mutes on the vocal, the Mute Tool no longer worked.

There were sections in some clips which I could not change at all. (I'd click and drag to mute/unmute, release the mouse button, and nothing would happen.) There were other sections where I would click/drag/release and the edit would appear somewhere else and/or cover a different length of time than I had selected. And there were also regions where the Mute Tool worked fine. By eliminating factors, I found that the Mute Tool and edits began acting up right around the first tempo change, and got worse with each additional tempo change (up to the point where I could no longer edit the mutes at all). Removing all the tempo changes fixes most of the issues, but.....

I've now discovered that even in projects with NO TEMPO CHANGES, the Mute Tool sometimes edits more than I select. It seems to do so whenever I select near the end of a clip, and frequently it just mutes/unmutes all the way to the end of the clip. (This problem reminds me a little bit of MS Word's "auto-select" feature -- except in Sonar it 'auto-selects' to clip boundaries.) I KNOW THIS IS NOT A SNAP SETTING!! I have turned off ALL snap settings in Track view (including the "Snap to Audio Zero Crossings" checkbox). It's like Sonar can't get away from it's dependence on M:B:T and just mute what I select, ONLY what I select and EXACTLY where I select. :-\

--
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/12 18:58:25
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/12 18:47:41 (permalink)
    OK, I've done some more testing. It looks like the apparent "auto-select" issue may have been a VISUAL problem only. I noticed this mostly at the end of clips, with silence (or low-level noise) at the ends. I scaled the audio up to increase the size of the visual waveform, and it appears that the ends of the clips are NOT actually muted. I guess this stems from the fact that that the visual representation is so small (due to the number of layers), even when I've maximized the track. In any event, the visual waveform outside of the Mute Tool selection changes -- which is a little disconcerting.

I'll keep testing this, keeping my fingers crossed. However, this still doesn't solve the problem with tempo changes.

If indeed the Mute Tool is just a disguised version of mute envelope then I'm a bit surprised that 4.0.4 didn't fix this problem. I quote from the "SONAR 4.0.4 Maintenance Release" page:

Notable Bug Fixes:
    * Clip envelope editing anomalies, which could occur when 1) creating a clip envelope in a project that had tempo changes, and 2) the clip was position after the tempo change and 3) the Now time was over the clip and 4) new nodes were created before the Now time.

Plus, there were also a couple other muting related fixes. How did this get by untouched?
    --
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/12 19:02:33
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 07:38:05 (permalink)
    BUMP

...any other thoughts?
    --
    Mike
    sbavin
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 07:52:12 (permalink)
    Not really, all I can offer is the extremely un-useful phrase - it appears to work fine here. Can you explain better why tempo changes cause a problem for you? Ideally, give a recipe, for example.

1) Create a project with a single stereo audio track, initially set to 60BPM. For the purposes of this recipe, enable snap to measure too.
    2) Record a clip from 2:01:000 to 07:01:000 (approx.) Speech is useful for this (maybe count quickly).
    3) Mute a region from 5:01:000 to 06:01:000.
    4) Playback the recording noting carefully where the muted audio falls.
    4) Insert a tempo change at 2:01:00 to 120BPM.
    5) Insert a tempo change at 4:01:00 to 240BPM.
    6) Playback the project again, check that the same audio is muted.

Obviously all the exact positioning and artificial BPMs are there to help diagnose any problems you might find, and are totally non-realistic, but you get the idea...

Steve Bavin
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 09:06:40 (permalink)
    sbavin,

I will do this tonight, as soon as I get back to my studio.

Also, the problem is two-fold. Using your example:

1) At step 6, the muted audio might play back, or might not.

2) At step 6, I would not be able to edit (with the Mute Tool) the muted sections - to adjust which portions are muted.

Thus, it's a problem both with playback (i.e. does the muted stuff play anyway) and with EDITING the mutes. The problems arise in both cases AFTER adding the tempo changes.
    --
    Mike
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 21:31:20 (permalink)
    OK, ladies & gentlemen,

I have created a test project to demonstrate the Mute Tool bug. You can download it from my website: MUTE BUG DEMO PROJECT (It is saved in a Sonar 4.0.4 bundle -- I'm sorry but it's kind of big [4MB] for a download).

It is a SUPER basic project -- NO MIDI, just audio. I created one mono audio track by copying a simple sound effect loop repeatedly, then bouncing to a single audio clip. Originally the audio clip was 20 bars long at 100 BPM.

At this point, I MUTED (with the Mute Tool) every other bar (i.e bars 2, 4, 6, etc.). Then I added several tempo changes, each lasting 2 bars. Finally, I drew in some random tempo changes for the last section of the audio clip.

Please download the project bundle and try the following. Let me know if you notice any odd Mute Tool behavior. NOTE: The M:B:T times below are approximate. THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO BE ZOOMED OUT FAR ENOUGH TO OBSERVE WHAT HAPPENS TO NEARBY PORTIONS OF THE AUDIO CLIP when you perform each Mute/Unmute.

ALL TIMES ARE IN "MEASURE:BEAT:TICK" format

TRY TO MUTE:
    From 04:03:600 to 04:04:100
    From 06:01:600 to 06:02:100

TRY TO UNMUTE:
    From 09:04:200 to 09:04:800
    From 10:03:400 to 10:03:900

Keep in mind that this is an EXAMPLE project. YES, it's silly to use tempo changes without MIDI tracks. I have only eliminated the MIDI tracks in this example for simplicity. YES, the tempo changes are random and extreme. This is meant to show that tempo changes do indeed affect the Mute Tool. [I get very similar results even which only adjusting the tempos slightly to line up my MIDI tracks with a recorded vocal.]

For the record, I have found that, when performing the above edits, portions of the audio clip OUTSIDE my Mute Tool selection, are either edited ALONG WITH my selection (i.e. the same thing happens to my selection and the non-selected portions) or the inverse (the OPPOSITE happens to the non-selected portions). In any event, SOMETHING happens that mutes/unmutes sections of the clip outside my Mute Tool selections.

Also, I have not been able to replicate the situation wherein tempo changes completely prevent the Mute Tool from altering the mutes. I know that happens, because I have an unfinished project (thanks to this bug) with that problem....but I'm trying to simplify it and narrow down the causes as I have done in this demonstration.

Thanks for your help and input!
    --
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/13 21:50:41

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    billkath
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 22:05:05 (permalink)
    Hmmm.
    I noticed on your bundle that the the places that you do these edits are preceded by partially muted little bits of sounds.
    I get the same results as you do--but...
    Try this-
    In the first edit-unmute that whole little bit of a beep, do the mute that you have written above, and then remute the bit that was muted beforehand. Works now, doesn't it?
    In the second instance the partial mute of a sound-unmute that, do your edit then redo the mute on the partial bit again. Works properly then.

Are you getting that behaviour?
    (p.s.-it's 3 a.a. here in Ireland-I'll do it properly for you tomorrow)

Billy E
    HeartBeat Studios
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 22:21:46 (permalink)
    billkath,

Maybe I misunderstood you, but...

In the 1st edit (04:03:600 to 04:04:100): If I unmute the entire beep, then attempt my edit, THE ENTIRE BEEP gets muted. If I unmute the entire beep and the 2 shaker spikes before it, then attempt my edit, ALL OF THE ABOVE GETS MUTED (shakers & beep).

In the 2nd edit (09:04:200 to 09:04:800): If I try to unmute the beep (after the two shaker spikes) [say I try to unmute from 09:03:135 to 09:04:363], then everything from 06:04:135 BACK to 09:02:363 GETS MUTED! (The beep unmutes, as selected, but this other stuff gets MUTED simultaneously.) :-o

Does your system not do this??
    --
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/13 22:34:02
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 23:19:01 (permalink)
    Mike,
    Interesting bit of classical music. They just don't write 'em like that anymore, do they? Seriously though, I tried your edits and saw no funny stuff at all happening. Worked as advertised (although perhaps not in a "highly marketed" manner) ):. I tried it in both 4 and 5 and both worked fine. The only real problem i have with the mute tool is that sometimes it will just quit working until i click on another tool and then re-select the mute.
    I know it's a bit of a pain but have you tried copying the offending tracks into a new project to see if the problem goes away in a new project? In any event, good luck, hope you get it working soon.

jb

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 23:24:15 (permalink)
    jp,

I take pride in my work. ;-))

Yup...I have tried it in new projects. I even created this one from scratch (pun intended) just to see if the problem arises in a fresh, basic project.

Now I'm REALLY confused. If YOU can do the edits on your machine OK....but I can't. Then WHAT is the deal?

Perhaps I should post BEFORE & AFTER screenshots of one of these edits, so you guys can see what I mean.....
    --
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/14 00:08:08
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/13 23:58:17 (permalink)
    SCREENSHOTS:

Note: I know you can't see the mouse cursor in the middle picture. BUT I'M SURE that I was dragging in the top half of the clip, with the Mute Tool -- to UNMUTE the selection. Also note that in this sequence I did NOT do the "pre-edit" suggested by billkath. (I have the same trouble doing the suggested pre-edit as I do trying to unmute as seen above.)
    --
    Mike
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/14 07:54:10 (permalink)
    Did anybody else get a chance to try this? I'd love some more feedback.
    --
    Mike
    billkath
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/14 09:00:17 (permalink)
    OK-just tried it again-this is very maddeneing. First time I tried it this morning everything was perfect. Second and all subsequent times I tried it when you attempt to do your mutes it mutes the whole bit of sound in that and following areas. When I unmute the whole bit of sound I can mute the area I want to and go back and mute the area I had previously unmuted.
    Cakewalk really needs to get involved on this.

Billy E
    HeartBeat Studios
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/14 09:20:07 (permalink)
    OK....so I'm not crazy. :-|

The hard part about this is that the behavior is unpredictable, and UNPREDICTABLY unpredictable. I can't even figure out exactly what causes which wrong behaviors. All I know is that tempo changes & the Mute Tool don't get along.

By the way, I have sent an email to tech support about this -- quoting my first post to this thread. They have not responded yet....but that's partly because they've been trying to diagnose my GPO crash issue. I'll report back if I hear anything definite from them.

Oh....and THANK YOU guys for your help with this one. :-]
    --
    Mike
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2005/10/14 09:31:28
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/14 09:51:11 (permalink)
    I tried your sample project, and while the mute tool seemed to work ok, a more bizzarre thing happened. I tried to use the ctrl-arrow keys to zoom the track size, and when I did, Sonar would freeze for about 2 seconds, my screen would go black for about 1 second, then pop back up. I tried this in Sonar 4 and 5 with the same screen behavior. That hasn't happened on any other of my own projects.

As for the mute tool, while it does seem to work with your project on my system, I have had some projects where it did behave as you described--intermittently. So no, you're not crazy.

My system: P4 3GHz, 2 Gig Ram, Intel D865GLC motherboard with Intel i865PE chipset, Nvidia GeForce 6600 128 meg ram, 23" Apple Cinema Display, Audiophile 192 soundcard.
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/14 09:58:47 (permalink)
    Wow...this is unbelievable. If there are this many problems in a DAW package, then how on earth do major film production companies EVER get anything done in video packages?? With issues like this, one would think that software design is a random, archane world that defies science & logic...
    --
    Mike
    Infinite5ths
    RE: MUTE TOOL -- Should I just forget it? 2005/10/14 16:47:30 (permalink)
    BUMP
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1