Helpful ReplyMan... Sonar died to me quickly

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/16 00:15:07 (permalink)
Zo I am little busy right now but I will answer No 1 for you. Yes you can select all the clips on a given track. Then open the inspector (F4) Then look at that little window just above the Event FX section. Double click in there and it goes blank. Just insert the name there you want.  It won't transfer the track name automatically but any name in there will do. (track name if you want it of course) Then every clip on that track will have the same name.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/16 02:09:25 (permalink)
Thks Jeff yep i knew that , i was talking like in sonar the option to force name calling of clip of a giving track name (with clip number incrementation)

Just finishing a mix today , i reall feel the less optitimsed engine of S1 , basically 30 Console 1 are hitting 70 % on ssl 9000 in s1 perf versus 50 % in sonar , but the craziest thing is that was mixing and felt little strange about levels ..after 2 hours of mixing i've found that my whole gain satging was false thks to the "send" value in S1 being at defauklt "-6db" ...can't believe this ....so all my gainstage is fuked up as well as my mix ...

Please guyz tell me we can make those sends defualt at 0db in a audio.ini or some file we can edit .... :((((

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Zo
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/17 02:08:10 (permalink)
By the way , anybody is exeperiencing crash when closing the app ?  it is systematic ...

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

musiccontinuum
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 636
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/17 03:48:52 (permalink)
I've been using Studio one for about 2 months and I'm not sold yet. Obviously, time is needed, but the workflow isn't aligning for me. Could be that I've been with Cakewalk (Twelve Tone) for 27 years. Also, S1 was solid, but it's been crashing in the last few days, which I know is rare for S1. To each their own, but the midi, the track information layout, I'm still clicking about 10 times to find what I actually need. And yep, I've watched the video's and read the help.

I'll still work on it, but I'm going to test Cubase. I tried it before and didn't care of it either. My biggest huddle is the keyboard shorts. I've never like the mouse since it's inception and live by short cuts. I've actually re-mapped W and R in S1 to match Sonar, but left everything else alone.

I can say that it's taking me twice as long to get a song composed, but that's not S1, or any DAW issue, but remapping of my head to a new DAW; and it's been a tough task.

I can say this, S1 forum is pretty good, but this forum still is top notch

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
Windows 10 - x64
Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
http://www.joncoble.com
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/17 06:49:40 (permalink)
^^ Surely using another DAW will also have different shortcuts? Imho one of those things you just have to relearn. I have printouts of keyboards shortcuts next to me and it is clicking (eventually).

I thought about Cubase as well but then I remembered how much I don't like a bloated DAW with bugs. Much prefer slimline (even if I miss stuff) that has a policy of introducing new features mostly fully baked.
Jeff Evans
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/17 09:46:28 (permalink)
I have got an Editors Keys QWERTY  keyboard especially designed for Studio One.  It is rather excellent.  Forget all your previous key commands and learn the Studio One commands.  Then the Editors Keys keyboard will work real nice for you.  When you are not sure you can just glance down and it is all there.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/17 10:36:14 (permalink)
CUBASE PRO 9.5
The way to go.
New learn curve but all slots into place after understanding new ways of working.
Rock solid up to now

Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 00:39:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/20 02:38:24
So far I'm really liking a lot of things about Studio One here.  The main things that are a miss for me are:

• Sound on Sound Recording
  • Drum Maps

Aside from those, there actually MANY things that I'm preferring.  It seems generally more responsive, recognizes and uses most of midi devices/control surfaces better than Sonar did - and is easier to tweak than ACT ever was - EVEN with an Edirol PCR-800, which should have been FAR easier in Sonar than S1 because of manufacturer at the time, yet isn't.

Granted, I've been mostly getting things setup, playing around with proof of concept stuff, and haven't really gotten into a full song recording or mix yet, but I like a lot of what I've seen.  So much so that I purchased with the Sonar Crossgrade pricing just before the end of the year.

• There is Less stuff on screen in many cases, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.
  • The Prochannel never really enamored me because it always felt like the modules were all integrated into one thing, but they were all so small (except for the EQ) that they felt limiting.  In S1, the Fatchannel takes care of many of the the things I typically used the ProChannel for anyway.  I would usually have a Reverb on a bus, so no real point to the Breverb and the Comp, EQ, Limiter and Gate cover the normal things I would expect in a channel strip.  But I really only need that strip on SOME things, anyway.  And it's not like you couldn't just put it in your template anyway.  And it takes like two seconds to drag it onto a track.
  • There seem to be a LOT of Sonar bugs from days gone by and many "removed" features in the X1,2,3,Plat series.  I liked the IDEA of what they were trying to do, I just feel like they missed the mark with the whole thing.
  • Being a "web guy" I thought I would really dig into the Theme thing, but it was so complex and convokuted to get around, it was just a huge waste of time for me to try to use it.  I think that S1 could use a little attention in the GUI side of the house, but it's not like it's ugly or in-adjustable, and I have found much of the simplicity of the display, while still being modern, flat, and just usable to be a good step in the right direction.
  • MACROS!  OMG.  There are a LOT of things that you can do with Macros in S1, I've found.  Even just some simple things, but there are already so many in place, and they are drag and drop to create.  Create a combination of commands to be executed, assign to a KB command, and Bang you just modified default behavior.  I got my Contour Shuttle Pro working for "shuttling" from beat to beat instead of measure to measure in S1 pretty quickly using macros, where in Sonar it was a weird and fiddly thing to do with CAL scripting - and I come from a development background.  The Macros are really cool.
I'm sure I will uncover many more things that I don't like, but I'm trying to "move on" and I haven't opened Sonar in a while - once just to make a video of what exactly sound on sound is for the S1 people to understand.  I enjoy change, and as a hobbyist, it's not really affecting my line of business is any way, but even in my actual business life, I'm pretty open to change of the systems I use on a daily basis to get my job done, within reason or at least with purpose.

Kind of a longer post than I expected, but there are just a FEW of my thoughts.  I will likely write a Blog about this experience.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 01:35:57 (permalink)
Drum maps in Studio One are called Pitch Maps.

https://support.presonus....-presets-in-Studio-One

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Blades
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 03:51:50 (permalink)
I understand that they are called Pitch Maps.  I've setup my "pitch maps" in S1, but they are lacking many of the Drum Maps features, such as:

Notes with no duration  - since drum notes have none, I don't need to see their "length"
Limiting the display to ONLY the notes that are in the map
Ability to solo/mute individual notes within a drum performance - like only all snares or kicks or whatever

Those are just a few.  This is one area where Studio One is definitely behind - though the Drum Maps feature in Sonar largely hasn't changed since I built my video about them back in Sonar 5! and sorely needed to.

Blades
Jeff Evans
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 04:06:11 (permalink)
You could explode pitches to tracks for all the parts within a drum performance and then have total control over solo/mute for each part. 

Blades
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 13:41:41 (permalink)
But then not have all of the notes in the same midi track. And still not have notes represented without length. And my drum kit has several notes for every drum to do articulations so I would end up with snare, snake rim, rim shot on different Tracks. Crash bow, crash edge, crash choke on different tracks. That's not even counting the many states of hit hat. And list of other missing features. I understand what explode is. It's like the split notes to tracks CAL and it isn't the same thing as a proper drum map.

Most of the daw systems out there have something like this. S1 just needs some improvements to be better. It is already a highly voted on feature request over there.

I don't want everything in S1 to be the same as sonar. I know that is something that you push sonar users away from. It is one thing I just like less about S1. And explode notes to tracks is not the solution for me.

Blades
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 14:48:53 (permalink)
I don'y know Studio One but I'm betting there is a way to set the length of all of the MIDI notes in a track. This is what I've always done in Sonar...

Agree the multi track thing sounds clumsy.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 15:17:38 (permalink)
Sonar is officially dead so far as Gibson developing it further. On that I agree.

Until I hear otherwise Sonar is not officially wiped from the face of the planet. There are undercurrents happening behind the scenes that might take a year or two to come out.

I predict a possible future where we still have the product in another form in other hands...possibly. 

So if I were you I would hang onto all of your serial numbers. It might one day earn you a discount of some kind.
I have Studio One. For me it's mainly the graphics I don't like. That might sound like a small thing, but I could make Sonar large on two screens and customize it. Seeing your work in a visual medium IS important.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

pwalpwal
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 16:28:23 (permalink)
Blades
I understand that they are called Pitch Maps.  I've setup my "pitch maps" in S1, but they are lacking many of the Drum Maps features, such as:

Notes with no duration  - since drum notes have none, I don't need to see their "length"
Limiting the display to ONLY the notes that are in the map
Ability to solo/mute individual notes within a drum performance - like only all snares or kicks or whatever

Those are just a few.  This is one area where Studio One is definitely behind - though the Drum Maps feature in Sonar largely hasn't changed since I built my video about them back in Sonar 5! and sorely needed to.

i hope you've sent this info as a feature request to presonus?

just a sec

Blades
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 16:38:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/20 19:09:48
A drum editor is already a feature request with a lot of votes over there, so I voted for it, explained what I also wanted, and also linked to the video I created about sonar drum maps years ago to show their value. I think it is in the top 10 of votes for the fr list so I am hopeful.

Blades
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 21:23:57 (permalink)
Alternatively, I've had a play with Studio one, Samplitude and Reaper and none of them made me want to stop using Platinum.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/20 21:41:55 (permalink)
Starise

I have Studio One. For me it's mainly the graphics I don't like. That might sound like a small thing, but I could make Sonar large on two screens and customize it. Seeing your work in a visual medium IS important.

Taking a little time to get used to the graphics in Studio One.  I am finding the text font size is a bit on the small size.  Or maybe I just need new reading glasses, LOL!

On the plus side I have figured out that the mixer and editor can be detached from the single screen user interface.  This is handy when you have more than one monitor!  You can also drag your plugins to other monitors as well. 

So you can dedicate one screen to the full track view, or the mixer, or the editor, as desired.  _

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
musiccontinuum
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 636
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/26 01:24:57 (permalink)
paulo
Alternatively, I've had a play with Studio one, Samplitude and Reaper and none of them made me want to stop using Platinum.

I've gotta get some projects done, so I've had to go back to Platinum. I still need to give S1 it's due time. In my latest project, I've used Platinum's staff (Quick Tab) and midi editing, which S1 just doesn't have (at least from what I've seen so far). And I don't see Notation providing the tab conversion Sonar has.

I'm curious how much time it's taken new users of S1 to get the swing of it?

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
Windows 10 - x64
Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
http://www.joncoble.com
Zo
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/26 02:29:32 (permalink)
I just finished mixing a song in it ... and it was really pleasant , the things that kills me are workflow based like having the solo on the plugin wrapper, x ray and screensets ...those are stuff i use a lot during work , but everything i needed to do was possible , i used their arranger thingy ( kinda difficulte when you have audio overlapping) .... but so far i m more and more at home ..'

I might mixed a whole album in it ....i did have some cpu spikes for no reason ...but not dropout ...just here and there ..

Again i never thought the solo button on the plugin wrapper will be misseed so much ...

If somebody from presonus reading , this is easy and simple to implement ...And super effectiv workflow wise ...

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Rasure
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Man... Sonar died to me quickly 2018/01/26 17:26:09 (permalink)
Zo
the things that kills me are workflow based like having the solo on the plugin wrapper

Yep 100% agree. Surprising how the little things can make a big difference with workflow :-)

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: