Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Butch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/19 08:09:19 (permalink)
I'm sure you've heard this somewhere before, but...If you want to get the sound that you are hearing on your favorite albums, you have to have the same guitar, pedals, amp, cabinet, mic and studio that those albums were recorded with.  In short, don't expect to get "that sound" with anything less than "that equipment".  I don't mean to be negative, just realistic.  Now that I've bursted that bubble, I still think you can get a good sound that is in the general area of the sound you are looking for using a "metal" distortion pedal and small tube amp cranked up.  The most important part of the amp will be the speaker.  Make sure you get one that suits the style...bright top end and big bottom.

Butch
Let's make some art!
ParanoiA
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/19 09:22:19 (permalink)
Hey thanks Butch.  To be clear though, I sure don't want to "match" any particular sound.  Like any guitarist, I want my own thing.  I hear the tone in my head, and I have an idea of where it might come from and that's where my Mesa obsession kicks in. 

I will be sure the speaker cab is right.

But you guys are all making a dent here and I appreciate your thoughts.   I've pretty much decided a Dual Rectifier is not in my future.  I just can't justify the power and volume issues it would bring up for my particular application.  And I don't think it's needed anyway. 

So, I figure a nice compromise may be the Mesa 5:25 (el-84's) or 5:50 (6l6's).  That's 5W or 25/50W switchable.  I can get this with a single 1x12 or dual speaker 2x12 cabinet.  Obviously the 2x12 would sound better jamming, while I imagine the 1x12 will sound better recording.  Since I'm mainly recording, the 1x12 is what I'm interested in.

The tone controls and audio design really is completely different from the Dual Recto and I'm not sure how I feel about that part yet.  But hey, the "sound" is what counts and if this little amp has my tone, I'll probably get it.

If not, I'll probably do what you guys are suggesting.  I'm committed to a low volume solution, so low wattage tube amps are most likely in my future.  Now it's just a matter of getting past the brand names and signature models and on to what actually sounds good, or right. 

mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/22 14:41:18 (permalink)
I had a Recto Recording Pre, but now have a Roadster Dual Rectifier. I thought the RRP sounded quite good and "felt" much more like a real amp than a POD. The RRP only allows you to set the poweramp/cab/mic/room simulation on or off. In a regular situation, you have control over mic selection and placement, cabs, etc... so you obviously have very limited control with the RRP.

All that said, I felt the sound was good and very usable, and the solution was much better than an emulator,  but still not as a mic'ed DR.
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/22 14:45:20 (permalink)
run the speaker or line out into a Palmer PDI-09.

that'll work.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/22 14:46:33 (permalink)

another good choice, tho a bit pricier.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

ParanoiA
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/22 16:33:25 (permalink)
Thanks Batsbrew.  I'm going to try mic'ing for a bit though first.  If it turns out as dismal as it did before, then you can bet I'll be checking those out.  

In case anyone is the least bit curious...I did finally settle on a Mesa Rectoverb.  It's a 50 Watt tube combo with a 1x12 speaker.  The 5:25 and 5:50 did not have a metal sound to save their lives.  That's about the only sound they couldn't really achieve very well.  The rectoverb however had a terrific tight, high gain sound and the channel tone controls are the same as the dual rectifier.   It sounds so good on the clean channel too - very rich and full. 

Very excited about getting this amp home.  Just waiting on the insurance money now, and of course, they're already dreaming up excuses to lower their payout...
Butch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/23 07:44:38 (permalink)
I think you will be very happy with the Rectoverb.  Mic it carefully and you will be all set!

Butch
Let's make some art!
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
. 2010/06/23 08:57:31 (permalink)
post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:01:34

skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/23 09:06:31 (permalink)
Congrats on finding an amp that you love!  I've never heard that particular Mesa, but if it's the sound you're truly after then at least that particular battle has been won.

Next up is mics and micing technique.  Contrary to your past experience, I can tell you that capturing a truly good tone is not rocket science.  Once you have truly good tone coming from the amp, getting it to tape isn't really all that difficult.

Here's a link to one of the best guitar amp micing tutorials I've ever seen on the web.  He walks through several different mic placements and plays audio examples of each as well.  Though he uses a couple of SM57's to mic the speaker, and he gets a pretty sweet tone, that's not my particular mic of choice.

He also goes in to a lot of other areas that matter....guitar maintenance, speaker choice, etc.

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

Personally, I find other mics to be much easier to work with when it comes to capturing guitar tone.  I've got good tone from 57's in the past, but I always felt that they changed the tone a bit on the way in.  I don't like that.  I prefer something that sounds exactly like the cab/speaker does in the room.

Anyway...I thought the video would be a good place to start since you've been having trouble.  A good visual with a good audible example goes a long way!

I hope it all works out for you!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/23 09:13:12 (permalink)
BTW....a guy came in the other day with a Line 6 / Bogner Spider Valve Head and delivered a CRUSHING hard rock tone.

I should post a clip

I'd never heard that amp before and I was skeptical because of the Line 6 affilitation.  I was quite pleased....actually reminded me a bit of a Mesa Lonestar - which, by the way - if you've never heard, you're missing out.  Just amazing punch and clarity with just the right amount of overdrive....huge and heavy, but still able to sing out the notes of each individual string.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
ParanoiA
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/23 12:20:35 (permalink)
Awesome, thanks for the link.  Seriously, I can't wait to check that out.  I can't view that stuff from here at work, and I have no computer at home until the insurance company comes through...so I may not see it for another week. 

I'm sure you're right about mic success with this amp.  I really think most of my previous mic troubles were related to that Valvestate and trying to use a 4x12 cabinet.  Hard to explain, but it almost sounded like I had recorded it over a telephone line, sort of.  I don't expect the same issue with this. 

batsbrew
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/23 12:29:48 (permalink)
my mesa sounds killer thru my palmer pdi-09.

i've got 29 years of micing my mesa to compare against!

that said, moving AIR is always the best choice.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

The Maillard Reaction
. 2010/06/23 12:31:28 (permalink)
post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:01:45

ParanoiA
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/23 15:07:46 (permalink)
mike_mccue

"did you try all or any of the three amps with a Rat or Tube Screamer in front of them?"

Is that a "No"?

Sorry, yes that's a no.  I don't own either of those units and I didn't even think of it anyway.  I'm still a little wary of pedals with all the claims flying around about tone loss and all that - then considering some of them are digital, changing my signal from A to D and back to A again - with all of that, it's hard for me to trust what they're doing to the sound.

I know what you're thinking..."dude, i told you to torture that output transformer and that a good pedal will get you what you want".  And actually, the guy at the store said he used a Tube Screamer with his Mesa too.  I'll probably get one, one day, but I only have enough funds to secure the core components right now.   That means DAW, guitar, amp, mixer, compressor, a few cables...I'll have to save to get the rest of the toys.   So, I wanted to be sure I had an amp that sounds great by my standards, by itself.   This one does that, and so much more. 

The 5W express models were cool, and quite capable of most sounds, but they just didn't have the "flavor" that the rectifier had.  Maybe that was psychological, but they just didn't excite me one bit. 

But hey, this isn't a total loss.  You've managed to convince me to mic again, and I've happily reduced my power expectations to 50W.  That's pretty damn good.  My wife hasn't convinced me of much of anything at all in 20 freaking years!  (Except that she's the only one that'll have me)
The Maillard Reaction
. 2010/06/24 05:59:44 (permalink)
post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:01:56

Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/24 17:12:53 (permalink)
I think there is some really good advice here. Not all small combos are created the same, so you really need to find out what works for you.

A champ won't do metal when it's cranked...it would be way too loose...however, it will do metal with a good pedal infront of it. In your case you have to remember, that a good recorded sound is not only the source, but the box it's in, and the room too. Before you pick amps, sizing them appropriately to your room (wattage/volume) is very important.

Many "dark" sounding amps probably won't record to well for the average joe; at least that's been my experience. Tube combos around 5-10ish watts lend themselves well to home recording, and at least in my limited experience 12" speakers are the most versitile.

The thing with metal type guitar, it has to be well defined AND distorted...and most average tube amps cranked up don't really offer that unless they were designed for it. But you still can do a higher wattage 10-15 watt amp and keep the distortion out of the tubes instead. You'll still get the "ride" out of the amp, but keep the fizz and flabbly bass out. Just keep the amp at a resonable level (like 1/2) and your golden with the right pedal.

I did a few tunes that needed defined distortion, and recording the amp dimed had me chasing my tail for a good sound. I've had GREAT results with a little 10W parallel 6V6 and a fuzz in front of it for heavy and defined "chugging".

I personally think you'll hate the Mesa preamp once you get it. I went down the tweaker style set-up many years back and it is such a waste of time in the long run. Having so many tones at your fingertips can drive you mad, when all along one good sound will do the job for more things you can imagine. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather have 1 knob to turn than 10. If I need a different tone, I'll play differently, or use a different guitar for the part.
post edited by Ron Vogel - 2010/06/24 17:18:33

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page
jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/24 20:01:22 (permalink)

Mesa boogie be it pre amps or combo amps etc has many
different (design) concepts. If a person knows of the history
of all the (boogie) (stuff) they are in my view very good at
trying to achieve quality. As far as (recording) goes (my)
fave is the (quad preamp) but it's a tank as far as weight
goes and a lot of work to (dial in) to get that (desired tone).

It's a tone and response to my guitar playing style that
either tells me I need to forget playing guitar or gets me
excited (and) go wow? I can play that guitar. In other words
any setup be it a stomp box or otherwise will/may (show what
your made of).

A great player with a stomp box can do wonders. I've
heard guys playing live vinues and ask them how they
get that awesome (tube) overdirive sound? Or all out
screaming guitar tone. The thing is these guitar players
were just so so players at best (but) they sounded
awesome.

One answer was a (rat) pedal.
 the other was an mxr dyna comp (for the solo's)

In both cases I would have thought it was a high end
tube (pre) setup but it wasn't. As far as recording goes
there seems to be two schools of thought, One is to
spend the better part of the day moving mics etc,
eat lunch, come back and move more mic's add this
do that etc until it becomes a sort of (geek) mindset.

The other mindset is just do it.

gmon72
  • Total Posts : 1052
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/28 14:59:20 (permalink)
Interesting thread.  I just got an Orange Tiny Terror and am in love with the overdrive on it.

ParanoiA
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/07/23 11:52:36 (permalink)
skullsession

Next up is mics and micing technique.  Contrary to your past experience, I can tell you that capturing a truly good tone is not rocket science.  Once you have truly good tone coming from the amp, getting it to tape isn't really all that difficult.

Here's a link to one of the best guitar amp micing tutorials I've ever seen on the web.  He walks through several different mic placements and plays audio examples of each as well.  Though he uses a couple of SM57's to mic the speaker, and he gets a pretty sweet tone, that's not my particular mic of choice.

He also goes in to a lot of other areas that matter....guitar maintenance, speaker choice, etc.

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

Personally, I find other mics to be much easier to work with when it comes to capturing guitar tone.  I've got good tone from 57's in the past, but I always felt that they changed the tone a bit on the way in.  I don't like that.  I prefer something that sounds exactly like the cab/speaker does in the room.

Anyway...I thought the video would be a good place to start since you've been having trouble.  A good visual with a good audible example goes a long way!

I hope it all works out for you!
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is an awesome tutorial on each step of the recording chain.  For anyone new to recording and mic'ing guitar cabs, this is really great.  Thanks for the link Skullsession. 

Loved the audio clips at the end, and how each set up sounds.  I can't say I heard the "phasing" effect all that well though.  The weird thing is, that seashell, hollow sound he describes sounds to me like my SM57 all by itself at times.  There are mic positions that sound like wide ranges of frequencies sqeezed down to a 4kz telephony bandwidth and I associate that as the same, seashell sound.  It's going to take some time to "hear" it, I think. 

Finally got enough gear to start recording again and last night was my first attempt to mic this Mesa.  Not bad so far, but I have a ways to go.  I'm not satisfied with what I'm hearing yet.  I may try using my KSM27 with the SM57 for a dual mic setup and see if I can get a better sound that way.

I'm a little disappointed that I can't just capture the sound I'm hearing out of my amp/cab before listening through a mic.  I'm going to keep at it though....
Ron Vogel
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/07/23 18:54:06 (permalink)
I'll share this...probably THE most useful bit of advice for mic'ing and amp I've heard, and works great.

Prop the '57 on the grille how you want it for the best sound first. Then open another track, and flip the phase on it for your KSM. Move the KSM around until you get the thinnest, coldest sound. Then flip the phase back. Super easy, super quick, and great results!

When using 2 mics, the hardest thing to get right is phasing the mics correctly, this method really reduces phase cancellation.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page
The Maillard Reaction
. 2010/07/24 07:27:26 (permalink)
post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:02:35

ParanoiA
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/07/24 10:07:56 (permalink)
mike_mccue

The signal chain is guitar>cord>amp>speaker. No extra *stuff*

http://www.harmoniccycle.com/hc/sounds/mp3/GCBlues/A%20Slow%20Blues%2004a.mp3

http://www.harmoniccycle.com/hc/sounds/mp3/GCBlues/Funky%20Mambo%2008a3.mp3

I'm a big fan of using one mic. I wanted to see if the SM57s could grab some sparkle so I recorded in stereo. I didn't want to worry about phase issues so I used a near coincident X/Y array.

best regards,
mike
So, can you elaborate on this "coincident X/Y array"?  I'm not sure what that means.

That brings up a question I hadn't thought about until you made that last statement...if I'm recording with one mic, I still have to worry about phase cancellation issues?  

I guess I was under the impression that I only had to worry about phase issues if I'm using two or more mic's at once.  And how come we don't have to worry about this when using a DI?  (or do we?) I guess I'm not understanding what it is about mic'ing that introduces phase problems.   Obviously I'm going to google this in about 30 seconds, but I like to hear from the experts here.

Ron Vogel

I'll share this...probably THE most useful bit of advice for mic'ing and amp I've heard, and works great.

Prop the '57 on the grille how you want it for the best sound first. Then open another track, and flip the phase on it for your KSM. Move the KSM around until you get the thinnest, coldest sound. Then flip the phase back. Super easy, super quick, and great results!

When using 2 mics, the hardest thing to get right is phasing the mics correctly, this method really reduces phase cancellation.

Thanks Ron, I will definitely try this. 

post edited by ParanoiA - 2010/07/24 10:11:26
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/07/24 11:43:15 (permalink)
Paul Franklin, who is the "A Team" Pedal Steel Guitarist in Nashville uses a Mesa Studio Preamp (has several as he has several identical systems that a cartage company moves to different studios according to his session schedule).

Paul used his Studio Preamp when he did the world tour with Dire Straits, too.  A lot of the "distorted" slide guitar you hear on recordings is Paul and his steel, not a "slide guitar".

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
The Maillard Reaction
. 2010/07/24 23:14:12 (permalink)
post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:02:52

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1