Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ParanoiA
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2010/06/15 09:22:47 (permalink)

Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Mesa Boogie Recording Preamp for guitar.   I'm looking to replace my stolen Marshall and have longed for a Mesa for years now.  However I have no confidence in the overdriven, metal sound produced by most cabinet simulators.  Since metal accounts for about half of what I write, this has to sound good for deep, low growling heavily distorted metal guitar work.   I'm already fairly confident in this preamp's other sounds, including clean. 

So, how does this thing really perform when it comes to menacing metal?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/GW-RectoPre/GW-RectoPre.htm

53 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    . 2010/06/15 10:24:14 (permalink)

post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 18:58:32

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/15 10:56:48 (permalink)
    I have the Mesa Dual Recto Pre.  I've had it for about 5 years or so.

My honest opinion....I'm not in love with it.  Never really have been.  But it's WAY, WAY better sounding than a POD.

I actually really like it for clean guitar sounds.  And it works great for dropping in a lead here and there.  But I've never "BELIEVED IT" for heavy distortions.  Not when I have a Triple Rec, Mark IV, Marshall, Egnater, and an AC30 here to compare it against.  It just doesn't stack up.

Some guys are getting decent recorded tones out of it.  I don't feel like I can.

Around here, it pretty much gets relegated to rough tracking.  Beyond that, clean work.  Beyond that, it only gets used late at night when I'm working on a personal demo and I'm too lazy to drag out an amp and throw up a mic....stuff I know will be re-recorded later.

To me, anything beyond slightly overdriven with this unit just gets a little....one dimensional.  Better than a lot of "sims" out there, but still not as cool as a speaker.

If you're into "blending" different amps to get a sound, the Recto-Pre is cool for that.

All in all....for the money....I would think you could do better.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/15 12:19:59 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 18:58:44

ParanoiA
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/15 12:23:48 (permalink)
    Well, the thing is direct in audio recording is my only interest for capturing electric guitar. 

I've done the cabinet mic'ing bit, for years and years using my Marshall 8412 cabinet with my Marshall valvestate head and never got a sound I could stand to hear turned up until I bought that little GI100 DI Box from Behringer.   Amazingly fixed my guitar sound issues with recording.  Yeah, I probably suck at mic'ing, but that's kind of the point, presumably I *still* suck at mic'ing.  And really can't enjoy working with cranked up amplifiers, let alone at 2 AM when the family is sound asleep while I'm working on my latest masterpiece.

So, I accepted direct in/out audio recording years ago.  I just don't accept the modelers.  Which is why this Mesa Boogie preamp sounded interesting.

From what you guys are saying, it sounds like I might just want to stick with a good Mesa head, and then try using my DI box to see how good it can capture the sound.  If I later decide to try mic'ing again, I could just secure a good cabinet.  

I mean, a Mesa head going through a DI Box has to be better than that old Marshall going through the DI box....right?

The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/15 12:37:00 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 18:58:54

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/15 12:41:40 (permalink)
    I'd say.... head to your local Mesa dealer (I think Guitar center is a mesa dealer) and carry your guitar in the store and audition it.

What a cool piece of kit that appears to be. I have a Mesa Studio 22...and what a tone machine it is.

I have been lazy when it comes to recording... I've been using my POD. It sounds pretty good, however, there is nothing like the sound of a matched speaker reproducing the sound.

I think the emulators are pretty good (or else I wouldn't use one) but I don't think they capture the sound of a quality speaker driven to the edge by a set of tubes also pushed to... or slightly over the edge.

And although I don't have the Mesa pre... I would probably agree whole heartedly with skulls assessment that it would be better than a POD, but still less than a nice amp speakered up and running flat out.  If volume is an issue, in the house or the neighborhood, then yeah, a Mesa pre or a POD will do it.

But don't let my blathering sway you.... go check them out in person..... it might just be the exact fit for what you're doing.

Yow.... !!! just looked it up... that ain't cheap by no means.....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/06/15 12:54:39

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    skullsession
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/15 13:47:23 (permalink)
    If it helps any, I'm in Houston.  You're welcome to come over and put it through the paces.  I might even sell you mine......

For what it's worth...I'm not CRAZY picky when it comes to distorted guitar sounds.  Especially in "metal".  EVERY guitar sound known to man has existed in that genre.  Rarely have I listened and thought.....eww....that sucks.

Just sometimes it's not FOR ME.   That doesn't mean it "sucks".....

I could get a direct sound that I could live with.  I just prefer to start with a live amp/speaker.  And it usually ends there.  When I listened back to a demo I did a few months ago with my Mark IV, I thought to myself....DAMN!  THAT GUITAR SOUNDS KILLER!!

Batbrew's sound is pretty good and he's one hell of a player.  His sound suits his playing style very well.  I don't play anything like Batsbrew, and I honestly belive his sound wouldn't work for me.  It's all subjective in the end.

I CAN tell you that the Mesa Recto-Pre does fairly well with pedals in front of it, just like an amp.  So.....it COULD be that the Mesa and a pile of different pedals could get you direct in a way that makes your day.

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    skullsession
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/15 13:50:52 (permalink)
    I just have to add....these days, I'm quite fond of my AC30 about 3/4 of the way cranked.

Holy crap!

A while back I picked up the Brian May AC30 because it was used - in GREAT shape - and the price was way too low to pass it up.  I was a bit skeptical about a "real amp" with only one knob on it....until I dimed it and plugged in my Tele.

Holy crap!

The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/15 16:00:13 (permalink)

post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 18:59:04

skullsession
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/15 16:13:44 (permalink)
    That makes us even.  I want your MC77!!

ParanoiA
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 09:27:23 (permalink)
    Well, I'll tell you what, you two are making me re-think this cabinet mic'ing thing.

How realistic is a smaller speaker set up?  A Mesa head driving a single speaker, type of solution?  I'm trying to work around the sheer volume of a 4-12 cabinet maxed out.  Would I still attain the precious high volume Mesa sound by mic'ing a single speaker? 

I've heard, from others, that practice amps are among the best for audio recording.  I have no experience with that, however. 
    The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/16 09:43:20 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 18:59:17

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 10:24:23 (permalink)
    I've also heard some amazing guitar tone from cheap little practice amps miked up. 

Don't let the size of the amp fool ya.... my favorite amp ...out of all the ones I've used through the years in all the  bands I've played in has been my little 22watt Studio Boogie.  I like it because I can crank it on stage to get that sweet sound and still not have bleeding ears. It has a line out if I need the volume..... and I have done that too.... running to a Carvin power amp and then into 2 4x12 cabs....

don't let the little ones fool you....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    skullsession
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 11:41:34 (permalink)
    ParanoiA

Well, I'll tell you what, you two are making me re-think this cabinet mic'ing thing.

How realistic is a smaller speaker set up?  A Mesa head driving a single speaker, type of solution?  I'm trying to work around the sheer volume of a 4-12 cabinet maxed out.  Would I still attain the precious high volume Mesa sound by mic'ing a single speaker? 

I've heard, from others, that practice amps are among the best for audio recording.  I have no experience with that, however. 

Sure man!  I actually run my Mark IV through a single 12" speaker cab....Eminence speaker.  I also have a 70's vintage Marshall 4x12 with the original greenbacks that kills....and I only mic one speaker on that.

Sure you can get a huge sound from a single 12" cab.  No doubt.

Did you say you've tried Guitar Rig and you hated it?  I think you did.  I do too.  Great for clean sounds...but for the dirt...I gotta have a speaker and some tubes.  Period.

I understand it can be tough though if you have to worry about sound levels.

Though I've never tried one, before I ever gave up on a real speaker, I'd get one of those iso boxes.  I've heard good and bad things about them....but man....I just have never played through a sim that made me think it sounded anything like a speaker.

ParanoiA
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 11:50:40 (permalink)
    skullsession

ParanoiA

Sure man!  I actually run my Mark IV through a single 12" speaker cab....Eminence speaker. 

No kidding...well do you add more load with something else too?  A guitar player here at work keeps telling me I need a DI Load Box or something if I'm going to drive a single speaker from a Mesa head. 

The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/16 12:08:51 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 18:59:29

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 13:17:12 (permalink)
    For the most part I tend to side with folks that still stick microphones in front of speaker cabinets... all else being roughly the same that is my first stab.

I have tried all sorts of emulators, software and hardware, and so far all I can say is that sometimes I get really cool sounds, but they seldom sound like a microphone stuck in front of a speaker.

I do have one amplifier with a direct output that gets so awfully close I use it sometimes even when I don't have to - it's an older Groove Tubes product called the STP-G, and it gets really really close to the sound you get when you use a speaker and a microphone. I think most audio geeks could still tell the difference, but the general public might be fooled.

In addition, I have the old H&K Cream Machine and Blues Master amplifiers, and while they won't fool anyone into thinking that I used air to record, they sound great.

Lastly, of the emulators/modelers I've tried I'd give the highest marks to the Adrennalinn - the Vox and Marshall models are scary cool.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    skullsession
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 14:16:16 (permalink)
    ParanoiA

skullsession

ParanoiA

Sure man!  I actually run my Mark IV through a single 12" speaker cab....Eminence speaker. 

No kidding...well do you add more load with something else too?  A guitar player here at work keeps telling me I need a DI Load Box or something if I'm going to drive a single speaker from a Mesa head. 

Nope...not kidding.  I come out the 8ohm speaker connection straight into a 16ohm 1x12" speaker.  Rocks like a mutha!

I believe your friend is conufused.  When you're using an amp "DIRECT", you need some sort of load on the power section or you'll burn up your amp.  That's a whole other thing.

Otherwise, running 8 ohm or 4 ohm amps into higher ohm speakers is fine.

I know this confuses a lot of folks...including me at times....so does anyone else here got my back on that, or do I need to be schooled too?  :o)

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 15:32:09 (permalink)
    I got your back!

The output of many amplifiers is designed to work properly only when it has a load connected across it. Simple version goes something like this:
    when a load is connected across the output it draws current, up to the maximum current that the amplifier can deliver. If you remove the load no current is drawn. That can be really bad for some output designs, because the amplifier still wants to deliver the power, and if current goes to zero then voltage goes to infinity, well, in the real world, the maximum voltage that the supply can deliver. That can cook things that ought not to be cooked.

The complex version of that is too much typing!

So, in a studio setting you have a couple of choices, as we've been discussing.

You can drive a big cabinet with lots of loudspeakers, where the cabinet is wired to present a specific load (usually 8 ohms, maybe 16 ohms, less often 4 ohms) to the amplifier output. The power is divided, pretty much equally, between the speakers, so if you have a 100W amplifier you can get away with four 25 watt speakers.

You can take that same amplifier and connect it to a single speaker in a suitable cabinet. Now you do have to be aware of both the impedance of the speaker (4, 8, or 16 ohms) and the power handling capability of the speaker. If you deliver 100 watts into a 25 watt speaker it won't last very long. And, the single speaker needs to have an impedance that the amplifier can drive.

You could insert some form of power attenuator in between the amplifier and the speaker cabinet, but some folks don't like the sound of them.

Or you can pick up a direct output - and yes there are a couple of ways to do this too!

The old way is to insert a transformer between the amplifier and the speaker cabinet. A sample of the speaker signal is then delivered to the recording input.

Some amplifiers provide a separate direct output that is derived from somewhere in the amplifier. This can sound good or bad, but it never sounds quite like a real speaker, at least to me.

Which brings us to the question at hand.

IF you use a direct box that connects between the amplifier and speaker then you must connect the speaker, otherwise it is the same as the no-load situation, and it can damage the amplifier. There were a couple of direct boxes that included dummy loads, but I haven't seen one in a long time.

IF you use the direct output from the amplifier then you have to read the instructions. Some amplifiers with these sorts of outputs have a way to operate without driving a real load, and some don't.

Make sense?

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/16 16:02:35 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:00:14

ParanoiA
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 16:07:50 (permalink)

wst3

Make sense?

Well, mostly.  The only part I got a little confused on was the "Direct Out" part of it, since I've never used a "load" type DI Box, just the "line out" kind - preamp signal I'm assuming.

But since I'm ditching direct out for mic'ing for now, in order to take full advantage of a tube amp, I'm more concerned with the first part of your post.

It looks to me like I'm going to have to be particularly careful about my amp head wattage and impedance and the speakers I hook up to it.  I can't just hook up a 25W speaker to a 100W head and turn it up to 10. 

So, maybe I should consider this when I purchase a head and get something more in line with the kind of speaker cab I expect to use. 

I still see an issue with an overpowered head driving a single speaker.  My only concern is how I deal with the inevitable power mismatch.  You've provided some suggestions above, for instance the power attenuator, but this just re-introduces more sound degrading issues I was trying to avoid by ditching direct out recording.

Going to have to give this some more thought...

By the way, I appreciate you and everybody else taking the time to help me.  Thanks a bunch.

Mike

My comment about over loading the Fender Champs Output Transformer (which is designed for a 3.2 to 4 ohm load) with a 2 ohm load was intended to suggest that the sound you get with that setup is pretty much the sound of Heavy metal. You get all those funky metallic harmonic chirps and stuff... you can hear the output tranny in full saturation and imagine that you are nearing a literal meltdown.

Try it... you'll see ;-)

I can see some audio tests like this in my future if this works out for me.  The last head I purchased was in 1995, my Marshall Valvestate.  Before that I owned a crappy ole Crate.  At 39 years of age, this will be my first real, all tube, fairly expensive amp head.  This will probably be a lot of fun. 
    post edited by ParanoiA - 2010/06/16 16:13:14
    The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/16 16:28:51 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:00:27

skullsession
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/16 16:46:34 (permalink)
    Ewww....Valvestate.  I had one of those back in the mid/late 90's.  It just got loud....never got good.

Funny...stuck it in the closet for about 5 years and then decided to throw it up on Craigslist since it was obviously not going to get any use next to the tube amps I had started buying.  I sold it for the exact same price I paid for it new.  Couldn't believe it.

As far as power matching....the Mark IV is rated at about 85 watts, and the speaker I'm using I believe is a 70 watt speaker.  Works pretty well.....and still gets damn loud when I need it to.

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/18 01:52:35 (permalink)
    Hi, ParanoiA,

What Mike says in message 23 is pretty much right on.  If you are strictly looking for a great recording rig, you really ought to check out the smaller all-tube amps that are available nowadays.  When I say smaller, I mean 5 watts or less.  There are a few very low wattage amps on the market (as low as 1/2 watt) designed specifically for low volume recording while driving the power tubes into distortion. 

I can tell you from experience that even a 5 watt amp can be too loud if you have family or neighbor considerations.  I actually *gig* with a 1952 Fender Deluxe (about 8 watts) which I put a Cream Tone overdrive pedal in front of with the overdrive turned off and the signal boost turned up high to slam the preamp of the Deluxe.  I don't mic this setup because it's plenty loud for the venues I play (from bars to large halls).  That's with just 8 little watts.....  Oh, and the tone is amazing.  You definitely don't need raw power to achieve great tone. 

I also agree with Mike that you'll want to experiment with various overdrive/distortion pedals in front of your amp.  Sooner or later you'll find one that gives you the tone you are hearing in your head. 

Obviously, if you're planning to gig with your new amp, you'll want to get something with enough power for the venues you play.  But if you are just going to record with your new machine, I'd take Mike's advice to heart and check out much smaller amps combined with pedals.

Good luck with finding the perfect rig for yourself.  It ought to be a blast and I freely admit I'm jealous.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/18 09:24:07 (permalink)
    Everything I'm about to say is purely opinion:

Good guitar tone comes from a good guitar, through a good all tube amp, a good speaker cab, into a good mic.  You can't get good tone without "moving some air".  Pods, simulators, software amps...don't waste your time.

I totaly agree with a low powered tube amp and a 1x12 cab and a mic.  Once it is all set up, cover it with sofa cushions and blankets to cut down on the noise and let 'er rip!  Be careful not to let the amp overheat.

My Marshall TSL 100 has a "speaker compensated direct out".  No thank you.  There is no power tube saturation and no moving air.

I have a Weber Mass attenuator.  With careful tweaking, you can get power tube saturation with reduced volume, but it will not be "bedroom quiet".

Aint nothing like the real thing baby!

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    ParanoiA
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/18 10:26:58 (permalink)

Mike

Look, here's the deal...

Heavy rock guitar includes the sound of a driven power amp stage and a tortured output transformer.

You can get that sound with a 3 watt amp and the right speaker.

Cromberger

What Mike says in message 23 is pretty much right on.  If you are strictly looking for a great recording rig, you really ought to check out the smaller all-tube amps that are available nowadays.  When I say smaller, I mean 5 watts or less.  There are a few very low wattage amps on the market (as low as 1/2 watt) designed specifically for low volume recording while driving the power tubes into distortion. 

What you guys are saying makes total logical sense.  But it's still difficult to accept as a guitar audio solution. 

The reason is mostly because I have very little experience with tube sound.   I get stuck on details like how the Mesa Dual Rectifier sounds completely different on 100W than 50W, describing the lower wattage sound as brighter, less bottom end.   So what does that suggest about lower wattage in general?

I've also become a fan of the Mesa hi-gain sound, not the brighter, cleaner 50W sound.  I've also completely had it with Marshall and the tweed fascination, along with blues and old rock.  I was worn out trying to get a scooped metal sound out of an amp that would rather play 70's radio rock.

Part of my hesitation also comes from experience with other guitarists.  Seems like I'm always running into two types of guitarists - bluesy, rock guitarists that like Fender, tweed, vintage Page sound and more metal oriented guitarists, that like hi-gain Mesa,  thick and rich distortions with bottomless low end, tighter, edgier sound with a repugnance for that 70's guitar sound. 

I don't know you fellas, so I'm not sure if I'm getting the tonal preferences of a like minded metal enthusiast, or a more broad minded rock lover.   In my experience, generally speaking, rock fans don't really appreciate the shallow preferences of a metal guitar sound.    

Are either of you guys metal fans?  How about more modern metal like Slipknot or Mudvein?  I actually don't care for the music generated by those modern metal acts at all - but I love their sound.   Is that the kind of sound you guys are saying I can get out of a low wattage tube amp?  

I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard to just dismiss the sound of a particular amp that I know I love, the Mesa, in trade for a guitar amp solution that's all about mixing and matching amps and speakers that I know absolutely nothing about.   I'm just not convinced a 10 Watt Fender amp is going to sound more like modern metal.  I think it's still going to sound like a Fender trying to sound like modern metal. 

post edited by ParanoiA - 2010/06/18 10:32:45
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/18 15:28:00 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    don't let the little ones fool you....
    That's just what Jeff Beck said in Guitar Player mag a couple of months ago. He prefers to crank a smaller amp, and says Stevie Ray drooled over his tone. Who am I to argue with players like those guys?

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    The Maillard Reaction
    . 2010/06/19 00:11:00 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:00:53

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    Re:Mesa Boogie Direct Recording Preamp for Guitar 2010/06/19 02:21:37 (permalink)
    Hi, ParanoiA,

Are either of you guys metal fans? How about more modern metal like Slipknot or Mudvein? I actually don't care for the music generated by those modern metal acts at all - but I love their sound. Is that the kind of sound you guys are saying I can get out of a low wattage tube amp? I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard to just dismiss the sound of a particular amp that I know I love, the Mesa, in trade for a guitar amp solution that's all about mixing and matching amps and speakers that I know absolutely nothing about. I'm just not convinced a 10 Watt Fender amp is going to sound more like modern metal. I think it's still going to sound like a Fender trying to sound like modern metal.

I'm not a huge fan of metal but I do listen to some on occasion.  I'm not up on the most cutting edge metal bands/styles, though, so I can't really speak intelligently on whether it's possible to get the sound you're after with a small amp and the appropriate pedals.  My guess is that it can be done.  Perhaps there are some small amps available that are built for high-gain/low volume.  Certainly, there are small recording amps available that are way different than small Fenders.  It's worth looking into.  And don't forget that you'll probably have to use pedals to help out. 

Obviously, you would really like to have the amp you love and I can sure relate to that.  But I was under the impression that it was important for you to keep the volume to very modest levels for recording.  It's possible that the Dual Rectifier might *record* just fine at low volume if you set the controls right and use the right cabinet, mic and mic techniques.  And, if it doesn't work out you've still got your Dual Rectifier.  ;>)

I feel your pain.  Good luck in your search for that perfect tone, at the perfect volume.

Best regards,
    Bill 

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1