Helpful ReplyMessage from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 04:32:29 (permalink)
No, tea won't be necessary. I find it pretty rude that they just copy and past a prepared bit of marketing hype all over this forum without even pretending to be concerned for the people wrapped up in this issue. Presonus and Steinberg already turned up to grab our souls but at least they did it with a bit of dignity and subtlety. Not rudeness which is what this fellow has done. I don't have anything against their software. Just the method of touting it.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 04:37:47 (permalink)
Jezz, if you don't have anything to say about how you find that Mixcraft works like or differently than SONAR make another thread, please.  As fascinating as your off-topics may be, they are off topic.
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 05:52:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Resonant Serpent 2017/11/26 03:34:15
35mm
without even pretending to be concerned 

35mm
grab our souls

It's software.
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 07:57:52 (permalink)
I remember Mixcraft was brought up in a thread for possible replacements for P5.  Although I went with Bitwig, it does look like a decent program.
ChazEd
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 14:06:28 (permalink)
Hi, Anthony!

Is Mixcraft a 64 bit app or a 32 bit only app?

Ableton Live 10 Suite x64
Korg Legacy Collection, FXpansion Tremor, Z3ta+ 2 & Rapture Pro
Win 10 x64 (Still knocking on wood...)
i7 4770, GA-H97-D3H, 16 GB, 7200 1TB + 2TB, RX 580, CX600V2
UA-101 (Thank you, Roland, for the Windows 10 driver!), SM57, MG10/2, MicroKey 37
covecamper1962
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 14:20:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChazEd 2017/11/25 14:22:09
ChazEd
Hi, Anthony!

Is Mixcraft a 64 bit app or a 32 bit only app?

Both, and you can have both installed on your computer together. I do not know about the regular version but Mixcraft 8 Pro 64 bit has it's own bit converter like JBridge to run 32 bit VST's and effects
aconte22
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 15:18:19 (permalink)
OK. Thank you for your comments [both positive and negative]. You can be assured Acoustica is listening to your concerns and look forward to learning more each day about what inspires and motivates Sonar users. My first point is this, Mixcraft is not Sonar. Acoustica is the first to admit that Mixcraft does not have all the bells and whistles that Sonar has built-in over the last 30 years. While the main objectives of all DAW’s are essentially to provide tools to allow musicians and producers to create music, each DAW will have their own personality and will handle similar functions in a way that will differentiate them from each other.

We will be providing updates and responses on this thread as often as possible. If I do not know the answer to a question, I will escalate to the dev team to get you the answer. Starting from oldest to newest, let’s address the specific questions you have posted:

Azslow3, bokchoyboy:
Mixcraft does not have an API for 3rd party developers. We do have a scripting system that can be used to add support for many controllers, and users can add their own. We will try and get you more details.

Tenfoot:
Bruce, Mixcraft does not have an old-style text-based event list viewer, but there is a visual editor for CC data that’s very easy to use. New data can be easily drawn in, and individual CC events can be edited and set to specific values as well.

Zargg:
Ken, I have escalated your question up to the dev team regarding near future integration with Console 1 and ARA.

Michael Diemer, Whiskey Still:
The Mixcraft score editor only displays only one track at a time. As your preference is to handle MIDI editing in score view, you are correct, Mixcraft is probably not for you.

Telecharge:
I just took at quick look at a few Cubase Media Bay tutorials and it is super impressive. You can absolutely organize content and work efficiently. Setting aside my opinionated braggadocios comments about the Mixcraft Loops Library being more mature and superior 😉, while I am not so sure the Media Bay is as easy to use at the Mixcraft Loops Library, it certainly is mature and can get you the same results.

I do suspect that the Mixcraft Loops Library is more intuitive and easier to learn and use. Neatly docked or undocked in the tabs view, drag n’ drop into the track view, performance panel or the included Omni and Alpha Samplers. Previews, changes to tempo and keys of the project, search by instrument, genre, key, tempo, style, song kit and author. Freesound.org integrated into the sound edit tab with instant access to thousands of additional free loops. Optimized word-search engine, sorting and assigning of favorites.

Cactus Music:
Johnny V, I have escalated your question up to the dev team to see how we handle taking an audio track and dropping onto a MIDI track to create MIDI data. Will let you know if possible, and if so, how.

35mm, Vintage Vibe:
My sincere apologies. My intentions were to share and introduce you to an alternative DAW for your future considerations. From 1993 to 2012, I lived, breathed and bled Cakewalk for 19 years. The last thing in the world that I would want to do is alienate Sonar users. Cakewalk and Greg Hendershott gave me a great opportunity and treated me wonderfully [while I was there and on my way out the door]. I feel compassion for the laid off Cakewalkers, once shared the same pain they are experiencing now, and am truly humbled. If I had to explain my posting frenzy, it was only because sometimes I feel that Mixcraft does not get the recognition it deserves. Not coincidentally enough, these are the same battles that we had been fighting for Cakewalk in the early 90’s. Truly amazing how things come full circle in life.

Chaz Ed, Cove Camper1962:
Mixcraft includes both 64-bit and 32 bit installations. And as Cove Camper has added, there is a “bit-bridge” to run 32-bit VST’s and effects.

Keep your questions coming.  Will have more answers for you as we go.

Thank you for your kind considerations,
Anthony
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 16:31:44 (permalink)
Hello aconte22 ,

Please visit our Mixcraft 8 Pro Thread in the software forum
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Mixcraft-m3690010.aspx

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 17:19:12 (permalink)
Thanks to Anthony of Mixcraft for addressing our concerns so promptly and completely. This will save many of us time, not to mention bring some clarity to the overwhelming array of choices before us. All DAWS are not alike; yes they mostly do the same things, but how they do it is of huge importance. It always comes down to workflow. If you're a Sonar user, you need a DAW that will allow yo to have the same, or very similar workflow.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 17:27:47 (permalink)
PhoenixVA
Tried it... Mixcraft 8 crashed for me on the first full open while scanning VST's. :(

Was it an actual crash, or just a failure message while attempting to initialize a plugin? Did the scan complete, or were you kicked out of the program?

What I've experienced with every DAW demo is that some SONAR-specific plugins cannot be scanned successfully, but in every case the failed plugins were just skipped over and everything else came up OK.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
aceric
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:08:51 (permalink)
I'll try to answer some of these questions. For some reason I cannot directly respod to each though.

"Mixcraft crashed during initial scan for vst's" - Many vsts are not built to the vst standard or may have other issues. Mixcraft will sort through them and load fine after the initial scan.

"Does mixcraft have something similar to Sonars event list view for editing midi?" - We don’t have an old-style text-based event list viewer, but we have a visual editor for CC data that’s very easy to use.  New data can be easy drawn in, and individual CC events can be edited and set to specific values as well.

"Drag and drop a bass audio track to a midi track to create midi data. And drum replacer for converting Audio drums to midi." - I am not aware of software that can accurately create midi data by reading an audio file
aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:10:17 (permalink)
35mm
No, tea won't be necessary. I find it pretty rude that they just copy and past a prepared bit of marketing hype all over this forum without even pretending to be concerned for the people wrapped up in this issue. Presonus and Steinberg already turned up to grab our souls but at least they did it with a bit of dignity and subtlety. Not rudeness which is what this fellow has done. I don't have anything against their software. Just the method of touting it.

We are absolutely concerned with the users, Anthony is simply trying his best as a one man army, to cover all bases as quickly as possible. I'm now helping him and will happily answer any questions I can for you fine Sonar users :-)
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:15:34 (permalink)
Welcome to forum aceric (while it's still here...)

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:15:34 (permalink)
michael diemer
I use the score to do my midi editing. In Sonar, I can see the entire orchestra in their staff view. Mixcraft's tutorial only shows one instrument in the score view, a piano. If I can't display more than one inst. at a time, Mixcraft won't work for me.

Mixcrafts score editor is per clip, not instrument. So no, it will not show multiple clips at once, just a single clip.
We do however, have step editing and piano roll as alternatives. Which won't help in your case, just thought I would mention it.
aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:15:54 (permalink)
Karyn
Welcome to forum aceric (while it's still here...)

Thank you Karyn!
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:18:27 (permalink)
aceric

"Drag and drop a bass audio track to a midi track to create midi data. And drum replacer for converting Audio drums to midi." - I am not aware of software that can accurately create midi data by reading an audio file

Hi, Eric. SONAR does this via ARA.
That was one of my questions, along with Console 1 integration.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:20:29 (permalink)
Zargg
aceric

All the best.

I'll look into it then, thanks for the info
covecamper1962
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:44:36 (permalink)
Zargg
aceric

All the best.

As far as I know it is not got the drag and drop function, but Melodyne is integrated. The way I do it is select the audio clip and open up the sound tab and there is a Melodyne Button there. Click on it and and it brings the clip up in Melodyne and then I save it as a midi file. But if you drag a audio clip into a midi track/instrument track it does not automatically convert it. (unless I'm doing it wrong)

As far as the Console 1 integration I have no idea and do not know hardly anything about it.
aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:52:36 (permalink)
covecamper1962
Zargg
aceric

All the best.

As far as I know it is not got the drag and drop function, but Melodyne is integrated. The way I do it is select the audio clip and open up the sound tab and there is a Melodyne Button there. Click on it and and it brings the clip up in Melodyne and then I save it as a midi file. But if you drag a audio clip into a midi track/instrument track it does not automatically convert it. (unless I'm doing it wrong)

As far as the Console 1 integration I have no idea and do not know hardly anything about it.

You save as midi from the Mixcraft file menu? That wouldn't work since the only clip in the project is an audio clip. Or are you doing it some other way?
mosspa
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 19:59:11 (permalink)
telecharge
The only other thing I would ding them on is the interface, which isn't very modern looking when compared to other DAWs.

Being 63 and relying more on color cues in my visual field, Mixcraft's UI is one of the things I love most about it.  Frankly, I hate "modern looking" grey monochrome UIs.  As I have aged, my ability to perceive visual contrast has been dwindling.  Although I have less problems with Sonar's "modern UI" than most, I still vastly prefer Mixcraft's.  There is something to be said for "elegant simplicity", especially when it is enhanced with color.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
covecamper1962
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 20:01:10 (permalink)
aceric
covecamper1962
Zargg
aceric

All the best.

You save as midi from the Mixcraft file menu? That wouldn't work since the only clip in the project is an audio clip. Or are you doing it some other way?

No, from the file menu within Melodyne. Well, it is not called file in melodyne, it is called Settings. Then there is an option for "Save as Midi File.."
mosspa
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 20:28:01 (permalink)
michael diemer
If you're a Sonar user, you need a DAW that will allow yo to have the same, or very similar workflow.

I'm not sure that this assertion is entirely correct.  Up until the time I first tried Mixcraft, my only real DAW experience was Sonar (from the inception of the Cakewalk Home Studio series), and at the time Sonar was at Pro 5 or 6.  Mixcraft was initially designed to be intuitive, and a DAW that anyone could use with a very shallow learning curve.  When I sat down with Mixcraft, it was as though there was NO learning curve.  On my first attempt using it, I created a six track background motif using loops from my library of ACIDized loops, added two stereo audio tracks from my K2661, and added and edited VSTi synth and Kontakt piano leads.  I did this all in about an hour, and never once looked at the manual.  Granted, I hadn't created a masterpiece, but that's not really the point.  Although there are many differences between the Mixcraft and Sonar interfaces, those differences were transparent due, mostly, to Mixcraft's intuitive elegance.  Mixcraft isn't a scaled down Sonar, it's just so intuitive that it seems like it is.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
FemcanLana
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 21:01:29 (permalink)
I Just downloaded the Demo.

Elitebook 2540p 4gigs Steinberg CL1 Shure SM7b AKG 240 MKII Headphones

FemcanLana
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 21:16:49 (permalink)
Just with a quick look around at the Demo its not to bad. It would be the quickest route if replacing sonar since they are kinda similar but sonar is still better. If I had to start over Id for sure grab it. I dont know them and never spoke to them just my 2 cents

Elitebook 2540p 4gigs Steinberg CL1 Shure SM7b AKG 240 MKII Headphones

michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 21:40:29 (permalink)
mosspa
michael diemer
If you're a Sonar user, you need a DAW that will allow yo to have the same, or very similar workflow.

I'm not sure that this assertion is entirely correct.  Up until the time I first tried Mixcraft, my only real DAW experience was Sonar (from the inception of the Cakewalk Home Studio series), and at the time Sonar was at Pro 5 or 6.  Mixcraft was initially designed to be intuitive, and a DAW that anyone could use with a very shallow learning curve.  When I sat down with Mixcraft, it was as though there was NO learning curve.  On my first attempt using it, I created a six track background motif using loops from my library of ACIDized loops, added two stereo audio tracks from my K2661, and added and edited VSTi synth and Kontakt piano leads.  I did this all in about an hour, and never once looked at the manual.  Granted, I hadn't created a masterpiece, but that's not really the point.  Although there are many differences between the Mixcraft and Sonar interfaces, those differences were transparent due, mostly, to Mixcraft's intuitive elegance.  Mixcraft isn't a scaled down Sonar, it's just so intuitive that it seems like it is.

John, I'm glad that Mixcraft works well for you. It's a very individual thing, however. For me, since I learned on Sonar, I developed a workflow where staff view (for all instruments, not just one) and Event List became very important for me. It would be very hard for me to use a DAW that doesn't have these. Fortunately, Reaper has a great notation editor, and an event list that is identical to Sonar's, so it works for me. Cubase is probably the only other DAW that would work for me, but Reaper is fine so far.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/25 22:22:49 (permalink)
aceric
I'll try to answer some of these questions. For some reason I cannot directly respod to each though.

Hi, Eric, and welcome. Not to gang-up on you or anything, but are you going to answer the questions that have already been posted, or do we need to ask again?
Larry Jones
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/26 03:21:19 (permalink)
michael diemer
Nobody from Mixcraft has answered my question about how many instruments you can display at once in their score editor. I'm taking the lack of response as a "no," since their "reaching out" to us sonar stiffs so "promptly," demonstrates a keen desire on their part to sell us their software. They might make a sale here if somebody could answer this question.

35mm
aconte22, could you not have been a bit more subtle? You copy/pasted this marketing dept. draught into various threads in this forum without even editing it just a bit. Is it due to that lack of effort that Cakewalk dumped you? You actually managed to make it stand out as a "holly crap! There are thousands of displaced DAW users looking for a new platform. We gotta cash in on these mugs!" post even more so than PreSonus and Steinberg did! You have to work harder than that for our money. We want commitment, dedication, and friendliness like Cakewalk gave us! Those are the qualities that seem to be lacking in the alternative DAW offerings right now. Next, please!

You're asking questions and berating the Mixcraft rep in an online forum that is not dedicated to Mixcraft, during a holiday weekend. Maybe you should take a look at the Mixcraft forum.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/26 03:33:58 (permalink)
telecharge
aceric

Hi, Eric, and welcome. Not to gang-up on you or anything, but are you going to answer the questions that have already been posted, or do we need to ask again?

I went through them and answered about 3-4 in a single post. Keep in mind that I am in no way familiar with Sonar, so some of the features people mention might be something I am not sure of.
aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/26 03:34:54 (permalink)
Larry Jones
michael diemer
Nobody from Mixcraft has answered my question about how many instruments you can display at once in their score editor. I'm taking the lack of response as a "no," since their "reaching out" to us sonar stiffs so "promptly," demonstrates a keen desire on their part to sell us their software. They might make a sale here if somebody could answer this question.

35mm
aconte22, could you not have been a bit more subtle? You copy/pasted this marketing dept. draught into various threads in this forum without even editing it just a bit. Is it due to that lack of effort that Cakewalk dumped you? You actually managed to make it stand out as a "holly crap! There are thousands of displaced DAW users looking for a new platform. We gotta cash in on these mugs!" post even more so than PreSonus and Steinberg did! You have to work harder than that for our money. We want commitment, dedication, and friendliness like Cakewalk gave us! Those are the qualities that seem to be lacking in the alternative DAW offerings right now. Next, please!

You're asking questions and berating the Mixcraft rep in an online forum that is not dedicated to Mixcraft, during a holiday weekend. Maybe you should take a look at the Mixcraft forum.

I did address both of those.
aceric
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/11/26 03:38:36 (permalink)
covecamper1962
aceric
covecamper1962
Zargg
aceric

All the best.

No, from the file menu within Melodyne. Well, it is not called file in melodyne, it is called Settings. Then there is an option for "Save as Midi File.."

Maybe you have a version of Melodyne other than essentials which ships with mixcraft 8 Pro Studio? Here's what I see in that menu.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1