Helpful ReplyMessage from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/06 16:12:55 (permalink)
Thanks Anthony (as well everyone else) for coming in here and answering all these questions. It definitely makes a very positive impression for me to know there's honest support behind your product......especially knowing support is available 24/7.

I'll be demoing Mixcraft as a very viable DAW option to use and do appreciate you offering/extending this sale for all of us Sonar users. Good to see the people who stand behind their product.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/06 16:21:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/12/07 01:39:56
I bought Mixcraft Pro8 Last week. Today I set it up with dual monitors and downloaded a 10 track midi file..I set up the main console on one monitor and the mixer on another,.....works perfectly, sounds great, and looks fabulous !!!!!!! What a great program !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!!
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/06 17:27:57 (permalink)
I have been using Mixcraft 8 Pro off and on for the last week.  I find it very intuitive for getting fast ideas down. Plenty of decent extras. 

I made a song and I used the video functions. Good for basic video work. If you have footage other than MOV format you'll be ok. Preferably wmv files.

I'm still using Sonar mainly but this was fun to use as well. 

Admittedly, much of the frustration with learning any new daw is learning both what it is capable of and the workflow. 

I finally began to learn the keystrokes in it.This made using it much easier. It crashed on me with an IK plug. I don't know how resilient it is to a plug it doesn't agree with. So far that part of Mixcraft has me concerned. 
The second thing ties into the first. I haven't found auto save in it. This means you can't forget to continually hit CTRL+S. I lost two hours of recording when it didn't like the plugin.

One other feature I use a lot in Sonar is punch in recording. Mixcraft 8 Pro probably has it but I haven't found it yet.
It has take lanes. Not sure how developed they are as compared to Sonar.

Does anyone know if Mixcraft 8 Pro has arranging features? 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/06 20:08:33 (permalink)
Mixcraft does have punch-in. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'arranging features'.  Could you clarify, please?

About the Faderport 8, does that unit work with standard Mackie Control emulation?  If so, it should work using the Logic Control or the Mackie Controller setting.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
Starise
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/07 15:53:43 (permalink)
Thank you riojazz I'll dig a bit more for the punch in feature. Hey back in the day I played trumpet :).

In Sonar you could take a song and move the parts of it around or copy more of the same part. For instance take a verse and duplicate or move it somewhere else. You could make a gap in the song to add something you might have thought of later. 

This goes further than copy/paste of loops or individual sections in tracks. This allows moving of entire song sections with everything intact including automation unless you deselect it.

Sonar had recently added it. Studio One has it in spades. They make that process very easy by showing the different sections available in a side pane. You then drag the section in the same way you can drag loops around. Makes arranging a breeze. 

I would be surprised if Mixcraft has it since it was a recent development in Sonar. Mixcraft appears to have a well developed loop feature....not surprising since a Since Foundry employee works there?  I don't as readily see an arranging area though.

I will say the graphics are easy to see. Something I can't say about a few of the heavy weight daws.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

riojazz
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/07 18:35:20 (permalink)
Just a mention that I'm into the second day and have had no response to the info I sent to get the crossgrade pricing on Mixcraft.  I'm sure it's taking a bit to check my info and get up to speed on this promotion, but my demo runs out tomorrow.  Thanks.

FIXED.  All set - I purchased the crossgrade offer and registered.
post edited by riojazz - 2017/12/12 02:10:11

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/07 22:53:24 (permalink)
Something else to consider is their upgrade pricing is very affordable.  I think from 7 Pro to 8 Pro was $39. Only FL Studio and Reaper beats that.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/07 23:18:04 (permalink)
Starise ,

Mixcraft has a feature on board  called the performance Panel . You can use that as an arranging feature ..
To do so you will need to place segments of your song into the performance panel .
May I suggest a way for you to get familiar with it  ? good I ain't waiting for an answer 
Take a tune / mix of yours , chop it up into song sections , place each segment into the performance panel on one track ....have a little fun and play around with triggering the cells ...record that and see what happens...
the concept is simple ...to take that type of workflow to the next level substitute placing a full on chopped up mix with individual tracks ...
You can do this type of workflow easily on a track per track basis ...it just may involve getting the hang of the work flow...
as far as being able to do an exact Studio One type of arrangement on the timeline where all your individual  tracks are moved around and placed accordingly ... ummm that's not happening as far as I can tell ...
If you place the right clips in your Performance panel you can record a performance into the timeline ..thatshould count for something ..
Who knows , a Studio One arranger type of feature may happen at a future date if Acoustica gets a bombardment of feature requests from Mixcraft user's for that particular feature

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/07 23:33:28 (permalink)
I haven't tried that yet but it reminds me of how my Ensoniq synth's sequencer works. It has 10 8-track sequencer banks that each have 10 parts you can program individually for a total of 100 sequences. They can then be arranged in any order with as many repeats (loops) for each one into an 8-track Song preset (16 tracks total) that will play them as programed. This made it so easy to edit a section of the song without affecting the whole thing. If you made one sequence shorter or longer the whole song would adjust accordingly. However, if you added any "song" tracks before doing this, they would be affected as they are full song length tracks.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/08 00:05:05 (permalink)
Well what I'm talking about concerning using Mixcraft 8 seems to offer a lot of options and flexibility

You can't tell by my screen shot , I have 24 tracks for Midi Instruments , 24 Audio tracks and 12 sends ...
this was a limitation I placed for this example ...I don't know how many I can put ...who knows ..it didn't seem as if I had a limit

The performance panel has 48 performance cells to trigger and play both Midi on instrument tracks and Audio on Audio tracks ....all on their respective tracks as per what you decide to put there

I left it blank for the screen shot because I don't have the time right now to populate the performance panel and create a project right now ...

in addition to what can be done in the performance panel the the typical time line of the projects time line can have
Midi and audio performances that are being played in a linear fashion along the time line ...
If that's not enough you can record what takes place VIA the performance panel while your typical linear audio is playing in the time line and selectively improvise new content and a song arrangement on the fly  

if that is not flexible I don't know what is 

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

djwayne
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/08 04:19:28 (permalink)
Here's a little Christmas song I recorded in Mixcraft using a 10 track midi file. Edited in Sound Forge and uploaded. It demonstrates the quality of midi recording in Mixcraft..........this was very simple to do without too much of a learning curve......

https://soundcloud.com/djwayne2000/10-tracks

post edited by djwayne - 2017/12/08 04:59:30
Starise
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/08 15:13:43 (permalink)
Thanks Kenny. I appreciate the explanation.

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the matrix view in Sonar. Very similar concept.Only I don't think you could see both views as well in it. I took a quick look at this and it looked more like a loop mixer. One of the reasons I bought Mixcraft 8 was to build backing tracks. This feature would really help me get there. I like the way they attach it to the front of the track view. As far as I know, this is 
the only daw that has this particular layout.

In a DJ setting these pads could be triggered with a pad controller in real time I'm guessing. The main difference between this and the arranger in Studio One 3 Pro is you need to think ahead what arrangement you want and hit the pads when the time comes, that is, unless you can set a predetermined sequence of track/pads to play. If this is multi track , then you need to have all parts on a section play at the same time or have entire sections of the song split and ready to play. Definitely lots of potential there. Not as sleek as a dedicated song arranger but close enough to get you to a similar place with a little more work.

Kitcrazy- Yeah that upgrade price is less than a plugin. Very doable for me.

djwayne- I checked out that track. Nice midi construct. Was it made only using Mixcraft instruments? This is only MOP. It sounds good but it sounds a little too midi. A few little tweaks would loosen it up some. A great example though! Especially if you only used Mixcraft plugins.

Twitter @Rodein

riojazz
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/08 19:35:57 (permalink)
This is the third day after I sent in my SONAR info for crossgrade purchasing.  I'm sure it takes time to set this up; it was just announced on Tuesday.

The good news is that it is possible to extend the demo version for 7 days by registering.

FIXED: I purchased using the crossgrade offer, and registered.  For anyone still evaluating, you can get a one-week extension on the time to try the demo by registering.
post edited by riojazz - 2017/12/12 02:12:02

djwayne
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/08 21:37:47 (permalink)
Starise

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the matrix view in Sonar. Very similar concept.Only I don't think you could see both views as well in it. I took a quick look at this and it looked more like a loop mixer. One of the reasons I bought Mixcraft 8 was to build backing tracks. This feature would really help me get there. I like the way they attach it to the front of the track view. As far as I know, this is 

In a DJ setting these pads could be triggered with a pad controller in real time I'm guessing. The main difference between this and the arranger in Studio One 3 Pro is you need to think ahead what arrangement you want and hit the pads when the time comes, that is, unless you can set a predetermined sequence of track/pads to play. If this is multi track , then you need to have all parts on a section play at the same time or have entire sections of the song split and ready to play. Definitely lots of potential there. Not as sleek as a dedicated song arranger but close enough to get you to a similar place with a little more work.

Kitcrazy- Yeah that upgrade price is less than a plugin. Very doable for me.

djwayne- I checked out that track. Nice midi construct. Was it made only using Mixcraft instruments? This is only MOP. It sounds good but it sounds a little too midi. A few little tweaks would loosen it up some. A great example though! Especially if you only used Mixcraft plugins.

djwayne
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/08 21:45:13 (permalink)
Starise....that was just a midi file I got off the internet, I loaded it up and those were the instruments already pre-loaded. I'm not sure if they are from Mixcraft or some Windows midi sounds....they sound like Windows sounds to me. I haven't begun to apply my own sound samples yet. I was just impressed on how easy Mixcraft was able to load up the file and begin playing them with no monkeying around with settings and stuff. I'm also impressed on how easy it is to locate sounds with Mixcraft. this program is the easiest one I've tried.
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/08 21:48:29 (permalink)
Damn, I for one am grateful to these companies who are responding to our situation.  I do feel good that they have some Cakewalk people involved there.  Just wondering if it can be set up with separate folders for each song.   That is really a great organizing factor for me because I have so many songs done and to be worked on.  Thank you for your kind offer.  It will certainly be considered over here.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
whattarush
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/09 00:30:30 (permalink)
Demoed it and for the most part liked it but the deal breaker for me was that it doesn't send or receive MIDI Time Code and MIDI Clock was sending the wrong song position messages to my external gear and MPC Software.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
kennywtelejazz
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/09 21:48:34 (permalink)
Starise

Hello Starise ,

I'm gonna keep this one short and sweet ...

I think you have a pretty good grasp of the program ...yet I think there is something we need to clear up here ..

It is perfectly fine to think you can use prerecorded music and use the Performance Panel ...that is a good place to START ...it is only a start 

The Real POWER HERE IS you can record live while playing your instrument into the individual cells of the Performance Panel all while playing to other musical material that is playing in your songs time line .When you are happy to a degree with what you have played , then you tailor make your performance in those cells to your satisfaction VIA editing 

Not even SONAR could do that 

I'm done here , I have shared my thought's , opinions , workflows and Intellectual property freely and rather generously regarding this product ...here and in multiple threads 

If you want to discuss things more PM me ...

I don't work for them I work for me  

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Message from Acoustica - making the case for Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 2017/12/09 22:21:49 (permalink)
Mixcraft ok ,but no SYS EX yet
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1