Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/10 14:03:09 (permalink)
Wookie- Thanks again for listening, oh fur ball.
Dan- Thanks!!
Herb- Interesting info.  Thanks!
Mark- Thanks, man.  Michael does know how to do this stuff! 
Rob- We appreciate you listening and commenting.  Thanks, buddy!
James- How ya doin?  Thanks for commenting!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
MarkusClinus
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 710
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/12 20:48:45 (permalink)
Guys, I love this - very cool.
evadianepug
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/14 00:27:55 (permalink)
stevec- Thanks for the kind words.  We appreciate it!

Lynn- Thanks for listening and commenting.  How ya been?

DaPogue- It's nice to have you listening on the other side of the world, Hawaii, right?  LOL  Thanks, good to see you guys workin again up here.  Soundin good!

Rimshot- Thanks for listening.  Michael does have a bunch of info.

Gitpima- Thanks for listening and commenting.  Oh, man, I thought I was your favorite bassplayer.  LOL  Just kidding!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
Makke
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 617
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/14 05:56:56 (permalink)
Cool! Excellent version.. You've got the Beatles vibe on the track.
Sounds good

My english  is not very good. So please, forgive me for my short posts. 

BullHill Sounds

Sonar  /  Roland Quad-Capture interface
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/15 15:31:27 (permalink)
Great job guys, you guys really nailed it!! Sounded very good through my H-phones.....nice mix/production.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/16 22:04:09 (permalink)
Nicely done.
I always liked the cadence on this tune, and you guys nailed it.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/16 22:26:53 (permalink)
Nothing has been nailed like this since prom night.. (I'm sorry again for that right there Lord.)

What I mean to say is, I heard a really good song then? Why, what did you think I meant? (I'm sorry again Lord, I am who you made me.)

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/19 21:21:04 (permalink)
hey Warren and Michael! 
really good version, guys!  guitars and bass sound fantastic

that cowbell has no reverb on it, tho, and everything else does.  it sounds out of place.

everything else sounds great!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/19 23:05:45 (permalink)
Lots of Beatles covers, great.  As The Beatles pass into history, they will require more "covers" for relevance.  Hmm probably means The Beatles are now classical.  The drums are a little busy but great.

Ben 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
thegaltieribrothers
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 319
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/20 07:46:36 (permalink)
Nice vocals, authentic mix and feel, good job!
evadianepug
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/20 19:27:54 (permalink)
Old55(Jan)- Glad you got used to it.  Thanks!!

ED- Thanks for listening.  Glad we did it  roigghhhtt!

Voda- Thanks for listening.  I'm not sure which vocal you are talking about but I might have an idea. Thanks for the comments and compliments.

Tony- Thanks, buddy.  Being a Beatles fan will be mandated by the government when I take over the world.  But that's the only mandate.  The rest is up to each one.  Awwww, I'm being silly.

Leadfoot- Thanks, man.  We appreciate it.

Kenny-  I am very grateful for those comments.  Michael does know how to capture that era in sound.   I could never get that done like that.  Thanks for the table comment.  You don't know how much that means to me!!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/20 21:14:15 (permalink)
Very good cover of this song from my favorite band. Yes, Paul did some pretty cool work on this one back in the day.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Voda La Void
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/25 09:16:33 (permalink)
Evadianepug, I forgot to ask...how are you achieving those 'boxed' up sounding vocal harmonies?  I've got a couple of songs that could really use that 'effect', if you will.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Voda La Void
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/25 09:16:33 (permalink)
double post

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
drma173
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 752
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/25 12:55:19 (permalink)
the mix sounds too flat i think it need to be brighter.
daryl1968
  • Total Posts : 10984
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/25 14:39:30 (permalink)
great stuff guys - that solo has to be one of my favourites of all time  
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/27 15:45:30 (permalink)
Thanks for the comments and kudos everyone.

Not to undermine how Warren posted the link and hope he doesn't change it but
thought some may rather hear the .wav file.
It's the mix I listen to...minor differences than what Warren has. (not saying better...just how I like to hear it)

I have to max the volume at Box. Doesn't sound right to me if I don't.
Taxman.

munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/09/28 00:43:55 (permalink)
Awesome!
evadianepug
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/10/07 17:01:17 (permalink)
Mark- Thanks, Pard.

Makke- Thanks for the listen!

Mesh- Glad it sounded good to ya.  Thanks!

RobDaB- Thanks, Robert.  We appreciate it.

Reece- Thanks for the listen and the suggestions.

Ben- Ha, I do prefer classical to old.  I get more of the second anymore.  Thanks for listening!

GBros- Thanks for listening and commenting.

Mike(Makeshift)-Thanks for the listen.  We appreciate it.

VodaLV- The vocals are done straight with no effects.  I send them to Michael and he gives them that sound.  His talent and expertise far exceeds mine so I'm sorry I don't have the answer.   Thanks.

drm173- Thanks for listening and for the suggestion.  There is nothing flat about it for me(on my system).  That could just be a personal preference thing.  Thanks.

Daryl- Thanks.  It is quite a solo for those days and for the Beatles.  Short but sweet.  Hi to TCMD1968

Spacey- Thanks for all the work you did on this.  The things you do always amaze me.  I appreciate you working with me.   

munmum- Thanks!

Phantom-  There is no phantom.  I didn't want this to have 13 replies on it so I made this up and now it's 14.  
No superstitions here.

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/10/11 03:36:30 (permalink)
This sounds really well played, sung and mix wise also good.
kakku
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/10/11 03:40:02 (permalink)
Double post.
kakku
rwreynolds
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/10/11 08:12:29 (permalink)
WOW! Pretty much nailed that one to the wall guys. Great playing, vocals and mix for my ears!
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/10/12 23:04:50 (permalink)
After listening to you guys cover I would be interested in your own critique of the track.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/10/13 10:18:22 (permalink)
yorolpal
After listening to you guys cover I would be interested in your own critique of the track.

At the risk of repeating myself;
The Bad;
I couldn't get the guitar sounds I wanted. I believe it was because I didn't have the selection of guitars and amps to find the sound and that was complicated by having to use a sim. ( it reminded me of how much fun I use to have in studios...so that was a good thing) I also know that I'd never manage to get in the same park with the engineering. So with the musicianship and engineering of the original...geeze. Tuff act to follow.
I didn't spend enough time to nail the measure in the lead that is so very heavy "sitar" in flavored.
I couldn't not only get the bass sound but couldn't figure out the second bass guitar part and I think that not having the second part and mixing it in ( the way they panned it to center and left in working with the vocal track) it really missed the mark. IMO it was a MAJOR player in the tune so a lot of energy isn't there.
I hated the drums. EZ drummer -the only one I can stand to work with that I own- is just to lame. No biggy because the drums aren't much in the original IMO but real drums are just hard to beat. (no pun intended)
I don't like the vocals...it's because I know Warrens talent far exceeds his recordings and I realize how much better the parts could be. It's an issue that many face though. We all can't afford or justify the expense for recording booths and nice mic's/equipment needed so we do the best with what we have so I understood hearing the TV and folks talking in the background LOL. (although I didn't understand the lack of a windscreen/pop filter...sorry Warren)

Probably the worse part about it...I'm not serious about recording. That's something Warren knew up front and still wanted me to do it so if he's happy then it's not a bad thing at least.

The Good;
Even though they're a tuff act to follow I'm very pleased with the "note for note" performances and especially with the drum and bass parts since they aren't "my" instruments. Even so, I know that the drum part, bass part (minus the second bass) and all the guitar parts are for the most part- "spot on"- note wise, so I know any issues are with the timing/feel, equipment, mixing..etc. ( no I didn't use electronics to find any of the parts...fortunately my ears still work lol) My performance or ability to play the parts is much more important to me than the recording of them so I'm real pleased with the results.

I really like the fact that almost every measure matches the exact timing as they performed it...as a whole. It took work but I'm glad I spent the time working it out. I really got a kick at listening to the original and ours playing together so I could A/B them in real time. First time I've done that.

I like that when I listen to it I get into the groove of the tune. I think it's good when nothing really distracts me from feeling the groove. Sure I hear things that would make it better but not to the point I lose the groove and shut it off.

The best part is that Warren asked me and even though it was a trying time for me I managed to do what I told him I would do in a timely manner. I believe that he was pleased with the quick results and that was really the only goal I had.

So myolpal..."A" for the performances and "D" for the recording/equipment/engineering results.

evadianepug
Re: Michael (Spacey) and Warren (evadianepug) cover TAXMAN 2014/10/13 17:41:30 (permalink)
Spacey-Didn't hear the TV(thought it was all shut off before recording).  Used homemade pop filter.  Didn't work, maybe 2 spots?  I thought your performances and engineering were top notch.  I am blessed with less than the perfect ear.

Kakku- Thanks. I appreciate the listen and comments.

rwreynolds- Glad you liked it.  Thanks.

Yoropal- I have been on the board since 2008.  This is the 5th cover that I have done(or something close to that).  I am really into originals.  One reason I don't do covers is because too many times people say "Well so and so did it better".  Of course, it's their song.  So, I was happy with the way it came out because It's NOT the Beatles, it's us.  Could it be better?  Probably, but not by me. Thanks for listening (I assume) and asking.

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
SonarX3
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1