Helpful ReplyMomentum

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 18:05:13 (permalink)
mettelus
Not sure why, but I get this terrible feeling Gibson's marketing had a hand in this product.

Why do you say that?

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 18:11:17 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
ZincTrumpet
I had a quick look on my iPad and to be honest it seems like a simple 4 track audio recorder.
There are many similar apps for IOS which are cheap or free. I use LoopyHD which is $3.99 currently but I got it when it was on sale for less.

Even the free Apple Music Notes which admittedly only records a single track can then automatically recognise chords, add bass and drums and send the result to Garageband.

There's no way I would consider paying a subscription for Momentum and I cannot see myself using even the free version so I have uninstalled it. It should be free for anyone who owns or subscribes to Sonar.

One point made over on the AudioBus forum is that users of IOS Z3ta+ feel that it was abandoned by Cakewalk and wouldn't want to get stung again with Momentum.

Momentum is not a single app on a device. If it were, I agree with you, it would just be a free app.

Momentum works on every device you own, and any DAW you use. With automatic cloud sync, your musical ideas and snippets are always available.

Some people are using Momentum to record ideas on the smartphones and later drag-drop them into their DAW.

Some I spoke to are using it as a plug-in in one DAW to make beats, recording those beats into the Momentum plug-in and then loading the plug-in in their primary music production DAW.

Soon we hope to add inter-app audio and more collaboration features that will open up even more possibilities.

The bottom line is this—musicians we spoke to often complain they don't have time to make music. And then when they find the time, they just don't feel like wrestling with their DAW just to get an idea down. Momentum is attempting to solve that and help musicians get their ideas out and see them through.

Thanks for your response Alex. I can see how it would be useful but I really don't find it that much of an issue to transfer ideas from my iPad to the PC using DropBox, Audioshare etc. I will give the free version a proper trial though using the PC version to sync with what's on the iPad to see if the benefits justify the cost but for me somehow I doubt it.
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 18:19:20 (permalink)
Mesh
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Mesh
Thanks Alex for the details.....it's just that subscription model that's putting me off. If there was a way we could purchase it outright, that would definitely change the outlook..... 

Interesting, I'd love to chat with you guys more about this.

During some customer interviews we did get objections about subscription models in general. With one guy, in particular, he said he just hated them.

So I said, "Would you pay $0/month for Momentum?"

He said, "Well, that's free, of course I would."

I followed up with, "So then what's the lowest dollar amount you'd pay above $0?"

He said, "Something like $3/month would be reasonable, I guess, but I don't think you guys would go for that."

I said, "No, that's great feedback, and it's in the ballpark of what we've been thinking". 

Then he said, "Well, what happens when I stop paying my subscription? Do I lose all my audio?"

I said, "No, the point of Momentum is to get your audio out of the platform so you can keep working on it. You can always drag-drop or copy audio out of Momentum and onto your Desktop or in your DAW. So before you stop paying, you'd just grab everything you want/need."

He said, "Ok, that's cool then."

Interesting story.... what's also interesting is he "hated" the subscription model, but still subscribed.....(must've been the money thing). 

I can't speak for others in here, but I personally just don't like being tied down/committed to a monthly subscription plan (even at $3). I understand there are costs in maintaining/supporting it and the subscription model will facilitate that well, but I'd rather pay a "little" extra (when initially buying) for that support and own it outright.

I suppose it's probably just having a peace of mind....(just the way I feel about owning Sonar Platinum and all the other software I bought).     

I understand the simplicity and security of owning something outright.

With the Momentum Plans, you wouldn't be "tied down" in that you could pay monthly and start/stop whenever you want.

And, you'd probably save a ton of money compared to what we'd have to charge as a one-time fee for unlimited, lifetime cloud syncing, which would could be so high as to not make sense. But, we could be wrong about that.

I can just ask you directly: considering a $2.99/month, $29.99/year subscription plan, what would you expect to be for a one-time lifetime fee instead?

Also, if you don't mind me continuing to dig in, can you say more about what "peace of mind" means to you? I'd love to learn other ways we can help provide this.

Alex Westner

Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 18:23:16 (permalink)
ZincTrumpet
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
ZincTrumpet
I had a quick look on my iPad and to be honest it seems like a simple 4 track audio recorder.
There are many similar apps for IOS which are cheap or free. I use LoopyHD which is $3.99 currently but I got it when it was on sale for less.

Even the free Apple Music Notes which admittedly only records a single track can then automatically recognise chords, add bass and drums and send the result to Garageband.

There's no way I would consider paying a subscription for Momentum and I cannot see myself using even the free version so I have uninstalled it. It should be free for anyone who owns or subscribes to Sonar.

One point made over on the AudioBus forum is that users of IOS Z3ta+ feel that it was abandoned by Cakewalk and wouldn't want to get stung again with Momentum.

Momentum is not a single app on a device. If it were, I agree with you, it would just be a free app.

Momentum works on every device you own, and any DAW you use. With automatic cloud sync, your musical ideas and snippets are always available.

Some people are using Momentum to record ideas on the smartphones and later drag-drop them into their DAW.

Some I spoke to are using it as a plug-in in one DAW to make beats, recording those beats into the Momentum plug-in and then loading the plug-in in their primary music production DAW.

Soon we hope to add inter-app audio and more collaboration features that will open up even more possibilities.

The bottom line is this—musicians we spoke to often complain they don't have time to make music. And then when they find the time, they just don't feel like wrestling with their DAW just to get an idea down. Momentum is attempting to solve that and help musicians get their ideas out and see them through.

Thanks for your response Alex. I can see how it would be useful but I really don't find it that much of an issue to transfer ideas from my iPad to the PC using DropBox, Audioshare etc. I will give the free version a proper trial though using the PC version to sync with what's on the iPad to see if the benefits justify the cost but for me somehow I doubt it.

Fair enough, thanks! 

Alex Westner

TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 19:35:06 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Why do you think its half done? We have all the features we intended to release in the first version fully baked in what we released. Perhaps you are confusing early access which was done last week. Yesterday we released the full app.
Also I'm not sure what you are expecting from this app. It is NOT intended to be a DAW but its a quick access capture device for ideas and as such the features are streamlined for fast and easy capture without burying the user in features that are not key to this task. 

You are correct. I don't have my device so I've not been able to install it, myself and didn't know the companion tool was already released as I thought that was a "coming soon but not yet" feature so I was mistaken in that. That said, hopefully it works as intended without hitch in all DAWs and that they got extensive internal testing so as not to bugger up when someone goes to use it. I see far too many products released these days without the proper testing time to work the kinks out.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 19:49:52 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
We've done enough work with customers throughout this entire process to know that we are delivering value that people want... today.

It may not be interesting to you, and that's OK.

Of course we will continue to grow the product and reach more people.

Would it be possible to offer a version of the application that can save work to an SDCard or internal storage and connect to the DAW via a wifi or USB connection but without the limitations so you could save as many ideas as you want to the device in lossless quality at any length as long as you have the storage space and be able to work with the DAW connect tool? I'd be more than happy to pay a flat fee for something like that.
post edited by TerraSin - 2017/10/27 17:21:50
Hatstand
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 597
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 20:17:49 (permalink)
I don't have a subscription to Izotope, but they manage to take at least £100 a year off me in upgrade costs if not more. I paid a year upfront subscription to Noiiz and am no longer tempted by sample packs as they have more than I will ever need and it keeps growing, so I don't think there are any wrong answers with either model, You either see it as good value for you personally or not.

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 22:33:38 (permalink)
Well .. for $2.99 a month or even less - $29.99 a year AND with promise of more stuff added this could develop into something very useful surely? Eventually maybe A Sonar app on phone by another name .. Plus maybe community chat and collaboration eventually?

BUT at the moment even the FREE plan with 3 ideas / 5 mins each is useful surely? Just move them to Sonar to clear these 3 ideas out and start another 3?

I would say the PRO option could be priced a tad keener. Maybe $59.99 per annum and $5.99 per month?

Uncledavidyo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Momentum 2017/10/25 23:40:19 (permalink)
Mesh
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Mesh
Thanks Alex for the details.....it's just that subscription model that's putting me off. If there was a way we could purchase it outright, that would definitely change the outlook..... 

Interesting, I'd love to chat with you guys more about this.

During some customer interviews we did get objections about subscription models in general. With one guy, in particular, he said he just hated them.

So I said, "Would you pay $0/month for Momentum?"

He said, "Well, that's free, of course I would."

I followed up with, "So then what's the lowest dollar amount you'd pay above $0?"

He said, "Something like $3/month would be reasonable, I guess, but I don't think you guys would go for that."

I said, "No, that's great feedback, and it's in the ballpark of what we've been thinking". 

Then he said, "Well, what happens when I stop paying my subscription? Do I lose all my audio?"

I said, "No, the point of Momentum is to get your audio out of the platform so you can keep working on it. You can always drag-drop or copy audio out of Momentum and onto your Desktop or in your DAW. So before you stop paying, you'd just grab everything you want/need."

He said, "Ok, that's cool then."

Interesting story.... what's also interesting is he "hated" the subscription model, but still subscribed.....(must've been the money thing). 

I can't speak for others in here, but I personally just don't like being tied down/committed to a monthly subscription plan (even at $3). I understand there are costs in maintaining/supporting it and the subscription model will facilitate that well, but I'd rather pay a "little" extra (when initially buying) for that support and own it outright.

I suppose it's probably just having a peace of mind....(just the way I feel about owning Sonar Platinum and all the other software I bought).     

I have to agree here, I already have a lot of monthly payments to deal with. I would rather own my software than rent it, just sayin.
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Momentum 2017/10/26 00:35:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/10/26 11:24:13
I’m thinking $50 as a one-time lifetime fee instead. At least offer this during an introductory period to gain, well, momentum.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Momentum 2017/10/26 10:38:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/10/26 11:24:23
aidanodr
.....Plus maybe community chat and collaboration eventually?

Just come down to the CH/Songs Forum and start chatting.....lot's of collaborations going on there.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Momentum 2017/10/26 14:37:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/10/27 00:46:16
Fleer
I’m thinking $50 as a one-time lifetime fee instead. At least offer this during an introductory period to gain, well, momentum.

Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure the business model could afford it. With our estimated cloud costs alone, we'd start losing money at this price point in a little over a year.

Alex Westner

Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Momentum 2017/10/27 00:45:54 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Fleer

Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure the business model could afford it. With our estimated cloud costs alone, we'd start losing money at this price point in a little over a year.

Meant as an opening offer. Just for a week or so. To build momentum 

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
EyjolfurG
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Momentum 2017/10/29 23:28:52 (permalink)
I like Momentum and I think it is very cool and handy.  But it needs two small enhancements.  The option to "tab tempo" to set the metronome speed in quick way and to change the default metronome sound of the first beat of each bar to more percussive one. The current sound has the tone C# in it that is irritating if you are playing in a different key.

Eyjolfur G.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Momentum 2017/10/31 14:07:41 (permalink)
How have you used Momentum so far? I haven't had the chance to download it yet.

I don't see myself playing with small devices so much as maybe using it for track transfer between larger daws.

What specifically does it do in terms of acclimating one daw to another? I know it syncs tempo. What else? Does it take the keys across platforms? It seem to do that. What else? What about tracks with ARA written into them? Can they be sent between daws and retain the ARA info. 

Once tracks are transferred, does Momentum retain the authority to that track? IOW, are we tied to the cloud from then on, or is a transferred track now in full possession of the end user no strings attached?

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Momentum 2017/10/31 17:13:45 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Fleer

what about a fixed fee local network only version, cutting out the middleman cloud (& associated costs)?

just a sec

Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Momentum 2017/10/31 17:28:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2017/10/31 18:30:37
pwalpwal
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Fleer

what about a fixed fee local network only version, cutting out the middleman cloud (& associated costs)?

Yes, even better, in our upcoming v1.0.1 update, we're going to unlock unlimited local Idea creation in the Free version. So, if you find the app useful on any specific device, and you're not interested in the cloud sync/multi-device service, then you can just enjoy it for free. 

Alex Westner

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Momentum 2017/10/31 18:31:07 (permalink)
that's a really good entry point i think, good luck!

just a sec

bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Momentum 2017/11/06 18:12:31 (permalink)
For some reason I don't understand, it is compatible with my Android 6.0 phone but not my Wife's Android 6.0 tablet.

Byron Dickens
MacFurse
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: Momentum 2017/11/11 14:26:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Alex Westner [Cakewalk] 2017/11/13 15:37:22
I purchased the basic plan for 12months 50pct off through an email from Masterwriter 2 days ago. So $15 USD for a year. I figure if I use it, I will keep the subscription up. I'm cranking songs out this last month trying to get a new album done, and so far in the last month, between Big fish, Masterwriter, and now Momentum, I'm putting the ideas down, getting 2 songs done in the last 2 days alone (ready for the serious tracking sessions that is). This is much more than I've been capable of up until now. I'm in the pocket at the moment, so to speak, but I have say, Momentum really added to this today. Yeh, I could have just used my phone, but the 4 tracks are just so easy to access. It's so simple. Now to find a way to connect it to my bike for the 'helmet songs'...........

Just my thoughts......

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
Wayne Russell
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Momentum 2017/12/01 20:19:36 (permalink)
To the nourishment and creativity of music
Using things for their positive creativity
Momentum
Music / Song / Idea Tool
Remote DAW Plug-in (RDP)

Not a final production tool:
Meaning.. not a final audio output, ready for release application, thats where the DAW comes in. The music, sounds or vocals you record into Momentum can only be as good as the mic in your phone.
Momentum is an “Idea” production plug-in:
Produces “Ideas” ready for production.
Specializing in working directly with your DAW as a Remote DAW Plug-in (RDP)
Changes from an “Idea” plug-in to a production tool in the DAW.

Simple Creative Use:
Building a rhythm section.... “Idea” to final product....
A. Set tempo in Momentum (using Metronome).
B. Set track for record.
C. Start recording (use the phone like you are talking into it).
D. Make a clicking noise, with your mouth, where you would like a percussion instrument to hit.
E. Use other tracks and make another noise listening to your last recorded track.
F. Make a new project in your DAW or open one with the same tempo.
G. Bring your new rhythm to your DAW as an “Idea” plug-in.
H. Using Melodyne turn the tracks into midi notes.
I. Use the midi notes to trigger the percussion instruments that you wish.
J. Using your powerful DAW you open your “idea” into a production tool. Right from making clicking noises to triggering real samples that you use everyday.

Band Practice / Song creation tool / Recording preparation application: 
... Practice your idea ready to make happen....
B. Set track for record.
C. One at a time (just like at a studio sometimes) and lay down your part listing to the other parts in the head phones. Hand the phone and headphones to the next person.
E. Lay down vocals (use the phone like you are talking into it) etc.
F. Bring the whole thing back as a “Idea plug in”.
G. Record new real tracks into your DAW using the plug-in as an “Idea” or as a reference.
H. Using Melodyne turn the tracks into midi notes. Your melody “Idea” becomes a Remote DAW Plug-in (RDP) production plug-in.

Notes: Find how your phone handles recording different instruments. Try a different distance to get a reasonable sound, knowing its an “Idea” not a finished recording. Use a selfie stick to hold the phone closer to instruments like an acoustic instrument or maybe an amp.

Melody Creation tool
B. Set track for record.
C. Hum the notes of your melody. (use the phone like you are talking into it) Try to hum them as cleanly as you can)
E. Use the other tracks to hum counter melodies or parts.
F. Bring the whole thing back as a “Idea plug in”.
G. Record new real tracks into your DAW using the plug-in as an “Idea” or as a reference.
H. Using Melodyne turn the tracks into midi notes. Your melody “Idea” becomes a Remote DAW Plug-in (RDP) production plug-in.

Momentum as a product:
Example: The cost of a cloud space on GoogleDrive is around $1.99 per month. All the drive features are free for the cost of the drive space. Use this as example of cloud space and cost.

Momentum:
Application is free. You pay for drive space and specialized Remote DAW Plug-in (RDP) interfacing.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1