Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive

Author
Peter Rabbit
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1305
2016/01/27 18:46:27 (permalink)

Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive

This post is only in reference to the included Soft Synth programs with Sonar X3. Additional programs such as Superior Drummer and East West Quantum Leap allow me to select locations for the sound libraries upon installation.

Upon installation of Sonar X3 I don't remember having the option of loading the included soft synth "sound files" to a different drive from where the soft synth "programs" are located. I seem to remember only being asked where I wanted the soft synths to be located. (Although I could me mistaken.) I remember that I selected to install the soft synth "programs" on drive C and selecting that option automatically installed all the "sound libraries" (wav files, sound fonts, etc.) on the same drive C.

I have a dedicated drive for all of my sound libraries. I would like to move the "sound/audio" files for all of my included Sonar X3 soft synths libraries to that dedicated drive but still keep the soft synth "programs" on my C drive.

If I insert an Soft Synth Instrument into a project it allows me to navigate through a selection of "programs" and "patterns" to use but I can not tell it where the sound fonts are located.

If I move these sound font/audio files to a different drive how do I tell my soft synths where the new location of these sound font/audio files are located? Will running the VST Scan automatically find and re-configure the soft synths if the audio libraries have been moved to a new hard drive?

Thanks,
Pete

post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2016/01/27 19:06:52

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
P. Rabbit

8 Replies Related Threads

bitSync
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 01:36:29 (permalink)
    Also very interested in this subject as I'm about to reorganize VI files and sample libraries as well as move to SSD from HDD.

Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR Platinum x64 (latest) / Mackie d8b + D8Bridge x32 v1.1 = MCU DAW Controller / Frontier TranzPort DAW Controller / Studiocat 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Mainboard, 2TB SATA3 SSD / NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT v341.95 / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / 24 bit at 44.1 / New Belgium 1554 / My Stuff

Bigdogs
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 02:32:48 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Windows 10 64 bit, i5 4670K Haswell Processor,  4.2GHz, 8Gb RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AMD Radeon R7 260X, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk     
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 04:37:02 (permalink)
    The non-techy way: it varies depending on each of your soft synths (could be in the registry, could be in the options screen, could even be hard-coded if you're unlucky), so the easiest approach is to uninstall and reinstall them, this time putting the samples in your preferred location.

The techy-way: you can create a hard link or junction point which tricks the operating system into thinking that it's looking in the original location when it's actually looking at your new location. The procedure here is:
    1. Find existing samples directory, copy the whole directory entirely to the new location.
    2. Rename original samples directory (eg. append '.OLD' to the name) to move it out of the way
    3. Create a link which has the same name as the original samples directory (before you renamed it) and has a destination of the new copy you made in step 1.
    4. Test that your soft synth still works.
    5. Go back and delete your renamed original samples directory in step 2.
    I like to use an Explorer extension to create my links - http://schinagl.priv.at/n...inkshellextension.html - which means that step 3 can be done with right-clicking on folders in Explorer. Otherwise, you have to do it via the command line via MKLINK

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 08:08:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for responses.

Wow, sounds a bit too complicated for me to attempt. Perhaps I should follow the suggestion to uninstall and then reinstall or just leave them where they are.

I appreciate the help.
    Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    bitSync
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 08:55:52 (permalink)
    About the Cakewalk VIs, like Pete, I saw no option when installing the SONAR platinum update to specify a directory for samples, so uninstalling and reinstalling would likely get me right back to the same place, with sample content on the same drive as the installed software, correct?  Or maybe that is an option and I just missed it?

I could and will research this myself, but I suppose there are no VI preferences options to tell the software when it boots where to look for the samples?

Does the directory link redirection approach delay sample disk access time?

This is a little off topic but, does the multi-drive scenario (i.e., a dedicated drive for sample content) still make sense from a performance perspective if you've moved from HDDs to SSDs?

Cheers all!

Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR Platinum x64 (latest) / Mackie d8b + D8Bridge x32 v1.1 = MCU DAW Controller / Frontier TranzPort DAW Controller / Studiocat 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Mainboard, 2TB SATA3 SSD / NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT v341.95 / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / 24 bit at 44.1 / New Belgium 1554 / My Stuff

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 10:09:34 (permalink)
    While you can adjust registry entries and such to move things around, I believe that the Cakewalk Command Center has a gear-looking button toward the upper right of its UI, and clicking on that lets you change some CCC settings, one of which is the Content path for Cakewalk Content.

You may need to go through an uninstall/reinstall process to get it to place things on whatever drive and path you specified there, but might be worth looking into some more and maybe trying it.  I also hope someone who has a more current recollection of going through this would be able to confirm or correct this potential approach.

I hope that helps, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    bitSync
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 10:44:54 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone
    While you can adjust registry entries and such to move things around, I believe that the Cakewalk Command Center has a gear-looking button toward the upper right of its UI, and clicking on that lets you change some CCC settings, one of which is the Content path for Cakewalk Content.

You may need to go through an uninstall/reinstall process to get it to place things on whatever drive and path you specified there, but might be worth looking into some more and maybe trying it.  I also hope someone who has a more current recollection of going through this would be able to confirm or correct this potential approach.

I hope that helps, 

Bob Bone

Thanks, Bob.  I'll check it out.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Moving audio libraries for Soft Synths to different hard drive 2016/01/28 11:09:10 (permalink)
    IIRC the installers which install more than one synth do not provide a way to relocate samples. The installers which install a single synth might. It may be necessary to run the Command Center in verbose mode to see the option or run the installer manually.

Regardless, this will not work for all sample based synths. The best and safest method uses directory junctions described in message 4 above. It may look difficult but it is a simple copy process using Windows Explorer and a single command issued in cmd.exe (run as administrator). There are quite a few examples in the forum. Search for my user ID and mklink for a list of them.

The other way is directly manipulating the registry. There is a thread which covers this in detail http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2673527  Note: this thread moves more than just the samples. In most cases to move samples, only the "Multisamples Folder," if it is defined, or the "Contents Folder," if there is no "Multisample Folder" is involved.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1