AnsweredMuddy Distorted Guitar Sound

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
DRHollingsworth
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 821
RE: Muddy Distorted Guitar Sound 2007/06/27 12:42:16 (permalink)
Thanks for the input Doc

I've actually just been into Sounclick and swapped the version I posted for one with a better mix and deeper bass, it's almost there!!

I know what you mean about the drums - pray tell what this PSP Vintage Warmer is and how do I find one?

As for Mr Halford, we are thinking of getting him to add the screams cause I don't think my mate SidStrummerUK can still get that high without me using my trusty 'Halford-Brand' pliers!!

The PSP Vintage warmer is one of PSP Audio's VST plug-ins. It's a compressor/limiter that has an analog feel and sound to it. Does relatively well in bringing depth to drums and definition to guitars and vocals. It's available at this link PSP Audioware and should run you about £75. Well worth the investment in my opinion. When I combine it with SIR reverb (available here for free SIR Reverb) it provides a drum sound that has a tendency to cut through the mix without overpowering it.

You might be able to get by with the compressor/limiter that comes with GTP3 but for me it just doesn't have the character, and dare I say, warmth that I prefer in a mix. The SIR reverb once set up correctly is one of the better freeware reverbs I have come across. Rivaling some of the best digital reverbs you can buy.

As for the pliers....Ouuuch! Wicked, very wicked indeed.

I need to post some songs up on Soundclick. I have all of next week for a Holiday and I've determined to finish up a couple of projects. So I will be bearing my musical soul soon.
zeypxun
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 918
RE: Muddy Distorted Guitar Sound 2007/06/28 02:51:52 (permalink)
So many effects, such little time! But I am going to try out this SIR Reverb since its free and see if I like it.

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: Muddy Distorted Guitar Sound 2007/06/28 12:22:32 (permalink)
Thanks for the link and explanation Doc - I can't justify the expense at the moment though!!

I've tried compression on the drum track to bring up some of the weaker [cymbal] sounds and coupled this to a peak limiter where you can bring the volume up until you're happy with the drums overall level but it won't let the signal clip [It's a brilliant tool for the Master Volume control too].

I've tried doing an 'amateur' warming up with a low pass filter on the drum track and I've found a setting that has a nice warming effect but it [obviously] diminishes the attack of the snare drums.

After remembering something in the 'Dummies' PC Recording book I'm going to try mixing the drum track down to a CD-RW and re-recording back into GT through the 'tube-amp' setting on the POD2 - the manual says you can use this non-amp channel to add warmth to vocals etc.

I'll put a few of the alternative mixes up on Soundclick at the weekend so you can have a listen - it won't be the whole track, just an ‘anonymous’ bit from the [my] end solo, as it look like Pete's off to report me to Soundclick for copyright infringement:
RE: Muddy Distorted Guitar Sound - 6/26/2007 5:04:55 PM

pistolpete
Bronze Member

If someone wanted to listen to JP they could just buy thier CD's.

I wonder if JP and soundclick know that Strummy is infringing on copyrights?

< Message edited by pistolpete -- 6/26/2007 5:15:56 PM >

(in reply to SteveStrummerUK)

Still, if it make him happy…I don't think he really knows who JP are anyway!!

Later guys,

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1