Helpful ReplyMy Door Bell Rings And No One Is There

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2014/02/12 15:00:03 (permalink)

My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There

This has been going on for months, It started after my wife's father died. I'm not saying there is a connection there though. I really don't know.It has rang on Fathers day and at other times that held significance. Sometimes it just rings and we can't make any connection of any kind. 

I have tried to make it ring by shaking ,banging and wiggling things and I can't make it happen. When it happens it might ring twice but sometimes it only rings once or it might ring three times, usually it rings once.

This happens at odd times like 2 or 3 in the morning. It has happened more at late evening than in the day time.
I live in a rural setting and there is no way someone could have rang my bell and ran without my catching them at it.

So this is strange...I have one of those door bells that plays musical tunes and on Christmas I might set it to play a carol but it can play dozens of songs. We had it on something like the west minster chimes but after all of this started to happen I tried to see if it was the bell and played with the settings. I ended up putting it on a setting to play all tunes randomly so out of nowhere we might get "Hail To The Chief" or "Greensleeves" at 3 in the morning, of course no one is ever at the door.

This has been going on for over two years off and on. It might be weeks between rings but it never seems to stop or go away and I can't seem to replicate the rings by playing with the bell unless I push the button.The weather doesn't seem to be a factor as it has happened in all kinds of weather.

Anyone else have any similar experiences. I know this sounds weird but it is happening.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Old55
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 15:09:38 (permalink)
That is eerie!

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 15:17:14 (permalink)
Wow Tim, that is kind of eerie!!
I've never experienced that, so I don't even know what to make of it. Can you disable it?

If it still rings, that's going to be a real humdinger.  (sorry, I coudn't resist)

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 15:29:03 (permalink)
I'm quicker than I used to be. Funny that.
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 15:57:37 (permalink)
Starise
This has been going on for months, It started after my wife's father died. I'm not saying there is a connection there though. I really don't know.It has rang on Fathers day and at other times that held significance. Sometimes it just rings and we can't make any connection of any kind. 

I have tried to make it ring by shaking ,banging and wiggling things and I can't make it happen. When it happens it might ring twice but sometimes it only rings once or it might ring three times, usually it rings once.

This happens at odd times like 2 or 3 in the morning. It has happened more at late evening than in the day time.
I live in a rural setting and there is no way someone could have rang my bell and ran without my catching them at it.

So this is strange...I have one of those door bells that plays musical tunes and on Christmas I might set it to play a carol but it can play dozens of songs. We had it on something like the west minster chimes but after all of this started to happen I tried to see if it was the bell and played with the settings. I ended up putting it on a setting to play all tunes randomly so out of nowhere we might get "Hail To The Chief" or "Greensleeves" at 3 in the morning, of course no one is ever at the door.

This has been going on for over two years off and on. It might be weeks between rings but it never seems to stop or go away and I can't seem to replicate the rings by playing with the bell unless I push the button.The weather doesn't seem to be a factor as it has happened in all kinds of weather.

Anyone else have any similar experiences. I know this sounds weird but it is happening.

You may have mice? I've heard of rodents screwing around with doorbell lines before.

Best Regards,
Seth
Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 16:14:48 (permalink)
Get a cheap video camera and point it at the door. You can get them to record to a DVR.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 16:27:23 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
You may have mice? I've heard of rodents screwing around with doorbell lines before.

rsp@odyssey.net
Get a cheap video camera and point it at the door. You can get them to record to a DVR.

Randy

However, training mice to use a DVR is no walk in the park.......

HTH.  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bapu
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 16:35:19 (permalink)
Mesh
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]

rsp@odyssey.net

Randy

However, training mice to use a DVR is no walk in the park.......

HTH.  

But apparently they CAN ring doorbells, so there is hope.
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 16:52:47 (permalink)
That's the last time I buy an invisibility cloak from a guy in an abandoned castle.  I keep ringing doorbells and no one opens the door.  Also, I think there are mice in here.
bapu
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 17:12:13 (permalink)
UbiquitousBubba
That's the last time I buy an invisibility cloak from a guy in an abandoned castle.  I keep ringing doorbells and no one opens the door.  Also, I think there are mice in here.

Are your doorbell wires frayed or just anxious?
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 19:11:32 (permalink)
Maybe you need to look up?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 20:51:50 (permalink)
Probably wires are bad and only touch sometimes. Mice will eat installation off of wires also.
Dampness of the wires!

A short in the wires somewhere causing it.
makes connection (shorts) bell rings.

craigb
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/12 21:04:42 (permalink)
Of course, it could be completely in your head. 
(I base this deduction from the fact that you post here...)

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/13 00:34:28 (permalink)
That would freak the living daylights out of me. I'd disconnect it. I get spooked very easily. A while ago I had the creepiest dream where I got up to go to the bathroom and as I passed the dark living room, I could sense there was someone sitting on the sofa and I didn't want to look but I did, and it was this horrible Pinhead type character with luminous green eyes and this great force started pulling me toward him. One of those dreams where you wake up in a cold sweat and you're freaked out by it for a good couple of minutes before you're 100% sure you're back in reality. Anyway I woke up, and just as I'm going through that couple of minutes of waking terror, my damn printer came alive of its own accord and started printing something. It was like the perfect storm of sheer terror. I was too scared to get up and stop it in case it turned out to be a printout of that Pinhead fellow in the dream. Of course reason prevailed and it turned out to be a document that had only half printed earlier and the damn thing decided it was going to come out of standby and finish it at 3am. But boy... 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/13 00:42:46 (permalink)
*Psst...*  Hey, Sharke!  It wasn't a dream!!!

Muahahahahahahaha!!!!

sharke
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/13 01:34:08 (permalink)
Oh great now I have to stay up all night reading Jeeves and Wooster again. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/13 04:54:55 (permalink)
I saw this thread last night and I thought you were kidding around 
the main reason I thought you were kidding around was because I wound up watching Hollow Man on AMC last night right before I saw your thread …..
now thats freaky 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

craigb
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/13 07:02:20 (permalink)

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/13 08:07:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2014/02/13 08:31:28
Doesn't sound like a hardwired doorbell to me. Sounds like a battery unit -you might want to try a different frequency setting.

Could be everytime your neighbor opens their garage door....LOL
post edited by spacey - 2014/02/13 08:08:56
Starise
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/14 13:50:40 (permalink)
Well I never considered mice because I put out a lot of poison and the only thing that seems to get into my traps are moles...no kidding. I have caught three moles in mouse traps in my garage so far. They end up in my pool in the summer and they are terrible swimmers. The house had mice years ago but I had pretty much nuked them. The previous owners had dogs in the house and dog food was everywhere. And mice LOVE dog food. I put out mouse bait a few times a year..there could still be one around though. I should look into that. Thanks for that recommendation. The scary thing about mice is that they tend to start house fires by chewing wires and if they are doing that then I'm really concerned about it.

I guess I already told you the one about the new house where the electrician had wired the door bell and the thermostat but crossed the wires. When you rang the bell the heat would come on and when you turned on the thermostat the door bell rang...this really happened. I could tell others but it doesn't really relate to this.

I once found a few mice who were getting it on in an air conditioner and one of them had gotten across the compressor terminals. I'm sure it really lit up their life. They were pretty much crispy critters when I found them. 

I wish I could say I was kidding Kenny but I'm not and I can't make the bell ring on purpose but it seems to have  mind of it's own. If I had seen a black eyed kid at the door i think I would have really been distressed. As it was I didn't, thank goodness. The really strange thing is that my wife's maiden name is "Bell". I don't really want to believe it but the timing of the whole thing did kind of give me the creeps at first.It's funny how this kind of thing works, the first few times it's scary and strange but now when it happens I just turn over in bed and think,oh that's just that bell misbehaving again.No one is ever there and if it really was someone there they would knock if the bell didn't work.The prior homeowner left a widow when he was out back cutting wood and killed over with a heart attack. I have long since torn the shed down and replaced it with another where it happened.Not a month ago a neighbors dad passed away down the lane from my house. Lots of souls exiting the territory here, who knows, maybe a few are stopping by to say goodbye. The last time it happened was when his grand daughter came to our house. Since so far I can't confirm or deny anything I can only guess. I think I'll check my wiring.

Sharke- That is a really creepy dream you had. I have had some memorable dreams myself. I won't go into too much detail here but I dream a lot. I sometimes think I have something going on where I'm between waking and asleep (no drugs or alcohol involved) and I hear things. One time I heard my wife call me clear as a bell and she was fast asleep. I have had my name called numerous times and when I come fully awake there's no one there. But it seems just as real as a person shouting in my ear.I hear noises, but nothing I can't attribute to the house usually.There have been a few unexplained events though. One time I had a voice yell at me in the middle of the night and it was in my head and it sounded like a way over modulated radio frequency. It was saying some really hateful things.It was almost like I had picked up some kind of stray radio transmission. But I didn't have any  radios around me. None of that has happened for a  long time though. If these were dreams then they sure had me fooled for awhile.

Spacey- the doorbell is hard wired but it doesn't work on the typical 24 volts that most doorbells do. It makes a circuit to ring the bell but I think it's DC current. It takes 24 volts AC and then it converts it to DC and uses that to power the circuit board that makes the sounds.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/14 14:20:52 (permalink)
Disconnect it.

If it's somebody from the other side wanting in they don't need ACDC to make it work....process of elimination. ?
post edited by spacey - 2014/02/14 14:22:31
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/14 14:49:59 (permalink)
It's nothing to worry about.  Just relax.  You're fine.

Unless, of course, you open the door to find the Tall Man from Phantasm yelling, "Boy!"

I just creeped myself out. (shudder)
Starise
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/14 15:13:10 (permalink)
Thank goodness I have glass on both sides of my door and I can see whats out there without opening it.

Spacey- One theory goes that some of these things draw energy from electrical appliances. I am not saying one way or the other. I will say that one time my wife and I went to Gettysburg Pa. on a ghost tour and she has freshly charged batteries in her camera and they were discharged within two minutes. That has never happened before or since.:)

True story-Disconnected electrical appliances that keep on working after they are unplugged.This is documented. I don't know what I would do if that happened. I'd probably spend the better part of 15 minutes scratching my head in wonderment.

It really does take quite a bit to scare me. UB if that guy comes over I'll tell him to get lost.

Twitter @Rodein

craigb
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/14 18:36:11 (permalink)
Starise
Thank goodness I have glass on both sides of my door and I can see whats out there without opening it.

Spacey- One theory goes that some of these things draw energy from electrical appliances. I am not saying one way or the other. I will say that one time my wife and I went to Gettysburg Pa. on a ghost tour and she has freshly charged batteries in her camera and they were discharged within two minutes. That has never happened before or since.:)

True story-Disconnected electrical appliances that keep on working after they are unplugged.This is documented. I don't know what I would do if that happened. I'd probably spend the better part of 15 minutes scratching my head in wonderment.

It really does take quite a bit to scare me. UB if that guy comes over I'll tell him to get lost.

Ghosts and other phantasms love glass...

Starise
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/17 12:09:09 (permalink)
Well it hasn't happened for two weeks now. I'm starting to think that it was a mouse who might have moved on.

Since I can't get to the wires for the bell I can't see if it was a mouse.If the wires are chewed and there is no mouse then I will never know what chewed it. Even if I ask it to ring say three times. How will I know it's not just an intelligent mouse? And if it rings only two times when I ask for three it may be a stupid mouse. If I don't ask it to ring and it rings, then It might be a mouse who just decided to ring the bell...or it might be a leprechaun or something. How will I ever know? I have ruled out moles because I don't think they could make it to the bell wire.

Twitter @Rodein

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/17 12:57:12 (permalink)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Starise
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/18 14:03:41 (permalink)

Twitter @Rodein

sharke
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/19 00:54:06 (permalink)
Starise
Sharke- That is a really creepy dream you had. I have had some memorable dreams myself. I won't go into too much detail here but I dream a lot. I sometimes think I have something going on where I'm between waking and asleep (no drugs or alcohol involved) and I hear things. One time I heard my wife call me clear as a bell and she was fast asleep. I have had my name called numerous times and when I come fully awake there's no one there. But it seems just as real as a person shouting in my ear.I hear noises, but nothing I can't attribute to the house usually.There have been a few unexplained events though. One time I had a voice yell at me in the middle of the night and it was in my head and it sounded like a way over modulated radio frequency. It was saying some really hateful things.It was almost like I had picked up some kind of stray radio transmission. But I didn't have any  radios around me. None of that has happened for a  long time though. If these were dreams then they sure had me fooled for awhile.

I have stuff going on like that too. Just drifting off to sleep then I'll hear someone shouting in my head and it wakes me up with a start. Another thing that happens is that as I'm drifting off, a sudden noise will trigger this blinding flash which wakes me up. It happens most often when my refrigerator turns on, but also something like a clanging in the pipes. It's like getting an electric shock. I'm sure it's somehow related to synesthesia. 

Dreams are great if you can learn to control them. There are waking exercises you can do which trigger lucid dreams at night and they really work. They're all based around being aware that you're dreaming. Once you think "hey I'm dreaming" during a dream, it gives you the power to do whatever you want. First few times I did it I woke myself up out of pure excitement.  It's a pretty intense experience. 

James
craigb
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/19 03:01:23 (permalink)
*Ding Dong!*
(Runs and hides.)

Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re: My Door Bell Rings And No One Is There 2014/02/19 08:31:55 (permalink)
Hi,

It's the SHADOW!

Maybe even Lamont Cranston!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1